Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I've used Adobe Audition before and it's OK for the task, but probably overkill for someone who doesn't need to record other audio on the reg.

Audacity was fine, and actually has pitch shift options that specifically allow you to record, say, a 78 played a 45RPM (useful because my TT has no 78 setting). I'm certain you could do the same in most other recording programs but for someone who only needs to digitize records Audition is a good choice, esp. since it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I’m still using a version of Cool Edit from 2003 :v:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
My dudes. GoldWave is the poo poo ;)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

I’m still using a version of Cool Edit from 2003 :v:

I would be, but at some point, my copy refused to install on whatever version of windows I had upgraded to at the time

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I can respect that, vintage software has more of that analogue warmth

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

warez posted:

Some codes (mostly Warp Records stuff I guess) and my gnarly cuticles:

I grabbed this one and it is delightful. I needed some new music to get me through work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unless you’re actively looking forward to the work, isn’t it just easier to find someone whose already done it all already?

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unless you’re actively looking forward to the work, isn’t it just easier to find someone whose already done it all already?

Yes, but not everything is available digitally. I've downloaded the majority of my collection, but there's some stuff (mainly different mixes & B-sides on singles) that I've had to rip. I clean up the tracks the best I can in Audacity (Click removal is a godsend, noise removal not so much), and back it up to Google music. The funny thing about Google Music though is that it doesn't always upload YOUR copy of the song, and just checks it against its database and adds their version to your library. This helped me on an album that I couldn't scrub all the pops from, but Google's sounded just fine.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MrSargent posted:

I grabbed this one and it is delightful. I needed some new music to get me through work.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I seriously thought these two posts went together for like five seconds

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
If you're interested in the 40th Anniversary Star Wars Soundtrack, Techmoan has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZKgpzjYaVY

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I’m gonna have to take him up on his offer of living vicariously through this video, because I’d have a hard time forking over $35, let alone $135, for that.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

pwn posted:

I’m gonna have to take him up on his offer of living vicariously through this video, because I’d have a hard time forking over $35, let alone $135, for that.

I'll go a step further and say I hope anyone who buys that gets dysentery

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Does the soundtrack also come with a bottle of lube?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Couldn’t you just buy some Aaron Copland stuff for a dollar instead

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I'll go a step further and say I hope anyone who buys that gets dysentery

agree

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you really want it just wait a couple of years when this glut of Star Wars stuff is selling for like 90% off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The only Star Wars soundtrack I'll pay a premium price for is the one from the 1978 Holiday Special.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
gordi - reservoir

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

MrSargent posted:

Glad to hear :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Would this be a good place to ask for product recommendations? I know nothing about vinyl but I'd like to buy a new record player as a Christmas present for my wife, one that plays both the normal big ones and 45s, in the $200-300 range with a suitably vintage look. Doesn't have to have crazy features but bluetooth integration would be nice. Any suggestions?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Would this be a good place to ask for product recommendations? I know nothing about vinyl but I'd like to buy a new record player as a Christmas present for my wife, one that plays both the normal big ones and 45s, in the $200-300 range with a suitably vintage look. Doesn't have to have crazy features but bluetooth integration would be nice. Any suggestions?

The AT-LP120 is good, but you'll need an amp and speakers with it and that would be outside your budget. You could go with the AT-LP60 and some powered speakers. This one has bluetooth but you can save $60 by getting the model without that:
https://www.amazon.com/AT-LP60BK-BT-Automatic-Bluetooth-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B01BE5CT8U/
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA/

If you want something all-on-one, I just watched this video on the TEAC LP-R550USB, which seems pretty good. I like the look of it, too.

Normally I'd recommend vintage amps and speakers but that would be hard to get together before christmas, and it would depend on how she feels about getting used items, anyway.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You can get a denon dp300 for under $300 too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Got my ELO Out of the Blue 40th anniversary picture disc! It came in a lovely clear vinyl cover, though.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Got my ELO Out of the Blue 40th anniversary picture disc! It came in a lovely clear vinyl cover, though.

Shame about the clear vinyl cover, but looks cool (and I'm usually not into picture discs at all).

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Has there ever been a picture disc that wasn't released in a clear vinyl cover?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I've seen some that are like a regular album cover but with a window in the middle.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Boinks posted:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is the kind of thing I was talking about :

I've only ever seen it for old stuff though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Boinks posted:

Yeah the Mondo Drive release is in a regular cover. I think I have a couple more, I forget. The only picture disc I have in a clear cover is Screaming For Vengeance.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Displaying them is the only reason for picture discs to exist, why would you even want a regular album cover?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

wa27 posted:

The AT-LP120 is good, but you'll need an amp and speakers with it and that would be outside your budget. You could go with the AT-LP60 and some powered speakers. This one has bluetooth but you can save $60 by getting the model without that:
https://www.amazon.com/AT-LP60BK-BT-Automatic-Bluetooth-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B01BE5CT8U/
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA/

If you want something all-on-one, I just watched this video on the TEAC LP-R550USB, which seems pretty good. I like the look of it, too.

Normally I'd recommend vintage amps and speakers but that would be hard to get together before christmas, and it would depend on how she feels about getting used items, anyway.

Hey I wanted to say thanks for the advice and I ended up buying the TEAC even though it was a little outside my range because it had everything my wife would probably want. We'll see how it goes!

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Boinks posted:

Plays like poo poo of course.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

angrygodofjebus posted:

Plays like poo poo of course.

My brother bought that recently :ohdear:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I have that Lateralus too. It looks loving amazing but sounds like poo poo. Then again I have like seven Lady Gaga picture disc singles that sound really good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like J cards on picture discs, personally. They look pretty cool like that.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's Tool so yeah it sounds like poo poo

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I just remembered that I have two different Coca-Cola collections from the 80's on picture discs. The covers have some weird coke recipes on them and the records have the top hits of the era... that are covers performed by some sound-alike artists. Also it seems that these have been only released in Finland.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Coca-Cola-Party-Time/release/4847282
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Have-A-Coke-And-A-Smile/release/3963200

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I want to hear that Scandinavian cover of Rapper’s Delight.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Ballz posted:

I want to hear that Scandinavian cover of Rapper’s Delight.

I don't know who performed these but they're probably not Scandinavian. That would be pretty dope though. The suprising thing is that these sound-alikes are actually really good. They aren't off by much.

At least they are better than what the gently caress this Hot Dance poo poo was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0kluTStX_Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I have an opportunity to get new Pro-ject/Sumiko stuff at a discount so ridiculous I'd be stupid to pass on it, especially with the high-end stuff. I would love to upgrade, but I just bought my 120, like, less than six months ago. I live in a seriously small town, so no one would buy it if I put it up on Craigslist... and I still have my old LP-60 hanging around for the boyfriend to rip samples with.

I'm going to end up hoarding turntables. :shepspends: