Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
"thermal demanufacturing" is the best way of saying "we burn stuff until its gone" that i've ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What about Western Union type bank transfers? These motherfuckers have ridiculous abusive fees and since there’s no competition, they charge what they want.

The problem is security. My biggest frustration eyeballing /r/bitcoin is the assumption that only dumb people and inept companies get hacked. In network security it's accepted as a fact that an advanced persistent threat will eventually breach your network given enough time. Nearly every financial institution has already been breached for relatively low value data. If you could steal the contents of their bank accounts by hacking them it would be open season.

The point is that no company would ever take on the risk of acting as the exchange to convert crypto into local currency, and there's no liquidity in p2p transfers. There's a reason Western Union keeps their cash in banks at night.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Why are all these basement dwellers without huge sums of money hand wringing about inflation. They likely have massive sums of debt and would benefit from modest inflation

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
American banks obviously do need some disruption since they can't loving do same day transfers like other civilized countries

Thanks for not upgrading your 70s mainframes, rear end holes

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I bought JPY 1mio of ETH back in June. Sold it all to buy BTC (at a loss) on Nov 1.
Since then BTC is obviously up, a lot. Took back my JPY 1mio just last night. I'm thinking to sell the rest when I'm at 500% gain, why not?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

LinYutang posted:

American banks obviously do need some disruption since they can't loving do same day transfers like other civilized countries

Yeah it’s ridiculous

Amazon Pay and Apple Cash might eat their lunch if they’re not careful.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Has Sandwiches bought any God drat coins already? Or is he still a spineless liar?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Goodpancakes posted:

Why are all these basement dwellers without huge sums of money hand wringing about inflation. They likely have massive sums of debt and would benefit from modest inflation
Because they've been indoctrinated, and because there is no middle ground between "no inflation because sound money, forever" and "Zimbabweimar Megahyperinflation."

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Is the size of that queue normal, or has something happened?

seriously whats going on here: https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

buy iota

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Yeah it’s ridiculous

Amazon Pay and Apple Cash might eat their lunch if they’re not careful.

I don't know this space at all, but I've collected $6k for shirt orders for my running club this year mostly using venmo with no fees at all.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

too many "people" are using bitscoin and it's clogged :shobon:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
It's been a long long time since I've really looked into Bitcoin or read about it but a ton of people are bringing it up in real life today so I have some questions.

I seem to recall something about how some bitcoin file somewhere had to contain every transaction that's ever happened or something? Has that been taken care of? If not, is it still that big? Also, with the prices this high what's the smallest increment of bitcoin someone can give someone else? Lastly, I remember back in the days of Magic The Gathering Online Exchange being the place to get bitcoins whenever it went up people were having trouble actually getting their money out of bitcoins. Is it relatively easy to actually withdraw now or are we gonna see a ton of people trying to do it and unable to soon?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Superrodan posted:

It's been a long long time since I've really looked into Bitcoin or read about it but a ton of people are bringing it up in real life today so I have some questions.

I seem to recall something about how some bitcoin file somewhere had to contain every transaction that's ever happened or something? Has that been taken care of? If not, is it still that big? Also, with the prices this high what's the smallest increment of bitcoin someone can give someone else? Lastly, I remember back in the days of Magic The Gathering Online Exchange being the place to get bitcoins whenever it went up people were having trouble actually getting their money out of bitcoins. Is it relatively easy to actually withdraw now or are we gonna see a ton of people trying to do it and unable to soon?
Yes.
I don't know, but I think probably not.
There would be at least some monster files, if perhaps not literally every single computer's file.
Technically still a tiny tiny piece. In practice, lol.
And finally...

What does your heart tell you?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Superrodan posted:

I seem to recall something about how some bitcoin file somewhere had to contain every transaction that's ever happened or something?
Yes, in order to verify a transaction you need the entire blockchain.

Superrodan posted:

Has that been taken care of?
This is a flaw intrinsic to Bitcoin's design and you can't change it without altering the structure of the blockchain, meaning the entire blockchain needs to be started fresh. Ham likes to handwave this away and say that they will probably solve it, but he doesn't actually understand the problem and doesn't realise that it's literally not something that can be fixed.

Superrodan posted:

If not, is it still that big?
No, it's bigger. And growing.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

With a name like that I'd hate society too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Nice username/post combo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LinYutang posted:

Bro do we have a bet or not?

QuarkJets posted:

LinYutang posted:

Coward

Put your money where your years of Buttcoin posts are and short the Definite Ponzi Scam known as bitcoin

If you're willing to just bet on the outcome then I'll take you up on this. Let's say that my position is that 1 bitcoin by the end of December 31 2019 will definitely have a price lower than bitcoin's all-time high price, loser pays the difference to the winner up to a maximum loss of $1k. Do you agree to these terms?

lol if you think that bitcoin is "disrupting" actual banks

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lmao I've got $8k worth of BTC (I put $300 in four years ago) locked up in coinbase and I can't log in to sell it because the ID servers aren't working, gently caress me

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

smoobles posted:

Lmao I've got $8k worth of BTC (I put $300 in four years ago) locked up in coinbase and I can't log in to sell it because the ID servers aren't working, gently caress me
You will almost certainly never get that back, there will be "problems" for a while and then there will be some horrible misfortune like a server wipe or a hack and you will have lost most or all of that money.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

That's the thug life I signed up for when I put $300 into bitcoin

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sorry for your loss

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

smoobles posted:

That's the thug life I signed up for when I put $300 into bitcoin
I hope you at least bought some dope

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Hey don't worry, just attach a fee to your transaction to get it thru:
https://estimatefee.com/
Currently $17 to get it done in an hour.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Nessus posted:

I hope you at least bought some dope

That was the original purpose of the $300 but the Silk Road bust happened like right after and I got scared

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Nessus posted:

You will almost certainly never get that back, there will be "problems" for a while and then there will be some horrible misfortune like a server wipe or a hack and you will have lost most or all of that money.

If you take a moment to understand the grave risks of losing a known risky volatile financial investment and store your key offline, it's considerably secure unless you're a dumbass.

put your orders in via GDAX (if they let you verify your account) and understand the risk involved with third parties holding your assets.

place your market order ahead of time, accepting your risk.

breath and remember this is some nerd poo poo and of course it's beanies but lol if you're salty that other people are willing to take risks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Computer Serf posted:

If you take a moment to understand the grave risks of losing a known risky volatile financial investment and store your key offline, it's considerably secure unless you're a dumbass.

put your orders in via GDAX (if they let you verify your account) and understand the risk involved with third parties holding your assets.

breath and remember this is some nerd poo poo and of course it's beanies but lol if you're salty that other people are willing to take risks

smoobles posted:

In other words, smoobs does not actually have the butts, hence the entire problem! If smoobs had the butts they could go hustle a libertarian.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Goodpancakes posted:

Federal student loans.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Federal student loans.
Are they inflation indexed in some way?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I also haven’t been paying attention since the magic the gathering exchange days

Has anyone said buttcoin yet??

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

smoobles posted:

That was the original purpose of the $300 but the Silk Road bust happened like right after and I got scared

tbh I'm baffled that neither silk road nor liberty reserve led to the regulatory smothering of bitscoin

like did the regulators receive fat btc bribes or what

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

it turns out that an open source public ledger is actually really useful for catching drug dealers who think that a public ledger somehow protects their anonymity

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

I also haven’t been paying attention since the magic the gathering exchange days

Has anyone said buttcoin yet??
Yeah, the government did. I think the feds technically own the buttcoin website.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You know what, let me take this moment to pull together the poo poo I'm talking about.

This is in response to me bringing up the whole "If you think bitcoins aren't a scam you should be investing all your money into them" argument from a few months ago, without citations, apparently refrencing points other people made means that I think there's a goon hivemind, or this poster is really dumb, take your pick

Then, blade runner chimes in:

This is made up stuff from a guy that stopped engaging in a debate when he was getting owned, and continues to accuse me of not responding in debates when I'm getting owned, never substantiating it

And finally LGD chimes in:

This is because I responded to Stefan Prodan that was defending not shorting bitcoins because he was not one of the posters giving me poo poo for not proving I'm long on Bitcoins. Does this make sense to you, dear reader?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Best meltdown yet.

What about Western Union type bank transfers? These motherfuckers have ridiculous abusive fees and since there’s no competition, they charge what they want.

Oh, the good old days:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

if thats all it was i wouldn't care. unfortunately they feel the need to also try to con other people into buying into it by massively downplaying the risk (or just not understanding the risk in the first place)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

vortmax posted:

Best meltdown yet.

Oh, the good old days:

lol aren't processing fees like 20 bucks now

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

deadwing posted:

lol aren't processing fees like 20 bucks now

depends on the website but yes. bitcoins are down 2k in the last hour btw

edit: 2.5k

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

HCFJ posted:

depends on the website but yes. bitcoins are down 2k in the last hour btw

edit: 2.5k

its a store of value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Are they inflation indexed in some way?

One of mine is, not sure whats normal though.

Inflation is scary in combo with current govt poo poo though, it should help but it might condense wealth real quick. Either way bitcoins are the best.