Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

rsjr posted:

To think I use to own TWO of these. I camped those things with Pwny or whatever his name was for weeks.

I have one...on red.

Womp womp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

si
Apr 26, 2004
So far, have to admit - I do like how they play at the super low levels.

I went with Iksar since everything said that modern day it's the only way to go with regen racial.

It's a lonely life, though.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

si posted:

So far, have to admit - I do like how they play at the super low levels.

I went with Iksar since everything said that modern day it's the only way to go with regen racial.

It's a lonely life, though.

That's why you collect bone chips so you can make your own friends!

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Necros are awesome and have a ton of utility. Fear, root, mez, (slow) heals, twitch, lifetaps... they're entirely self sufficient and bring a lot of utility to groups, but they have poor/inefficient burst dps so nobody will ever invite you to things. Make friends when you can.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Meatgrinder came over and PL'd me and, well, basically the entire zone who showed up to join in for a while yesterday, which got through a couple really boring levels.

I ended up grouping with a Kittens guy later on named Kaosh and then another necro who showed up - triple necro group of skeleton beatdowns is pretty effective. Made it into level 8 that way, so going pretty well.

Staying in one spot for so long is a bit depressing though, might have to try wandering, but I think everyone hates Iksars more than Necros.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Iksar can fairly easily (with a bit of grinding at least) gain reputation with (most) of the dark elves in Neriak allowing you to bank there and invis past the evil cleric faction when you need to access other vendors in the city.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Siets posted:

Iksar can fairly easily (with a bit of grinding at least) gain reputation with (most) of the dark elves in Neriak allowing you to bank there and invis past the evil cleric faction when you need to access other vendors in the city.

Is this the 'Red Wine' quest deal? I have tried to read up a bit on this.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

si posted:

Is this the 'Red Wine' quest deal? I have tried to read up a bit on this.

That's the one. Control + Left Click is going to be your friend for single-selecting wine from the stacks you purchase in order to do the turn-in properly. :)

I believe there is also a similar turn-in quest that gets you halfling faction for a second home away from home.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Paineel is starting to get crowded, but another solid faction grind could get you access to Paineel and possibly Erudin is 8-20 in the Warrens. Kobolds are easy to round up and you can transition into charm soloing guards as early as 20-29 (they don’t give faction hits)

Grouping up on gnolls/orcs around Highpass will give you access to the Highkeep banker. Thought necros could bank anywhere with gather shadows & feign death.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Yikes, looks like from http://wiki.project1999.com/index.php/Bottle_of_Red_Wine it's like 400+ of these just to get to dubious (maybe worse for a Necro?)

Probably prohibitive given $ factor, in that I only have what Meatgrinder gave me.

Might have to wait until I can do it purely by killing things.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If memory serves the wine you buy from a merchant close by and it’s like coppers a piece. I don’t remember it really costing me much, if anything.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Ah, are you able to buy it there? I figured it would require some sort of illusion to be safe enough to get in, buying it before hand, sneaking to the dude for the turn-in, etc. Are iksars not KOS to most of Neriak, just unloved?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
https://wiki.project1999.com/Bottle_of_Red_Wine

That’s the quest and I believe the NPC is only on the Dark Bargainers faction. Since that is a merchant faction, he should be apprehensive at first and no worse. The turn-in gives more DB faction along with Dreadguard Outer and Dreadguard Inner faction which is what all the city guards are on. The wiki entry states that you will need to only do between 150-400 turn-ins, which goes by pretty quick using control + left click and placing bag windows next to the turn-in window. Maybe five minutes of actual clicking work and only a couple plat in red wine is my estimate. Well worth it.

Do keep in mind that you still need to be wary of the dark elf cleric faction NPCs that are somewhat scattered in various places throughout the three Neriak zones. You can just invis past them. I’m not sure if there is a way to gain faction with them. There are also a few undead in select locations that will aggro on you unless you put up invis to undead.

edit: I actually had to do many thousands of turn-ins because I farmed some dark elf guards in my twenties before I knew about the red wine quest. Don’t repeat my mistake! :smithicide:

si
Apr 26, 2004
Ah, I was using https://wiki.project1999.com/An_Iksar's_Guide_To_Love_and_Friendship_Through_Murder#Neriak

There is a ref in there to the Clerics which makes it look very easy, but I don't know if the faction hit you take is problematic - or if it works if you don't worship Innoruuk.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

si posted:

Ah, I was using https://wiki.project1999.com/An_Iksar's_Guide_To_Love_and_Friendship_Through_Murder#Neriak

There is a ref in there to the Clerics which makes it look very easy, but I don't know if the faction hit you take is problematic - or if it works if you don't worship Innoruuk.

Oh wow, that cleric turn-in looks super easy. I don't know why I never bothered to check into it. A quick glance at the faction penalties that are given does not appear to be anything that would jeopardize your character's progression. None of the NPCs I recognized at least as having any sort of significance.

The cleric faction turn-in makes another good point, which is that you can sometimes utilize your skeleton mana form to slightly alter your faction to various NPCs. On occasion, it gives you just enough of a bump that it allows you to interact with merchants or NPCs that would otherwise scowl at you and refuse service. Always worth checking.

Do you know about the banking line-of-sight trick as well? Just in case you don't: as long as you can right click a pixel of the banker's model, they will bank with you regardless of faction IF you are not line-of sight to them. Basically, hide behind the edge of a wall, zoom out to third person and pan your camera until you can make out the banker's elbow. Then just right click the banker and, voila, you can now bank anywhere that you can invis to that does not have any guards stationed right by the bankers themselves. I used this to great effect to bank in Felwithe, despite the fact that I had been ruthlessly murdering their guards for platinum and exp throughout my entire early 50's. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its real nice that Norrath is full of unscrupulous bankers who won't question where the money is coming from :cheeky:

si
Apr 26, 2004
Looks like the first spell with a skeleton form is around 34 though, and research, so maybe not hugely relevant for now. The banker trick is good to know, I didn't know that one - I assume if I mess up and end up in LOS they will murder me though.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Make sure to dumpster dive the merchants in the commons area. Pretty sure I was able to make all of my mage/enc spells that way.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

si posted:

Looks like the first spell with a skeleton form is around 34 though, and research, so maybe not hugely relevant for now. The banker trick is good to know, I didn't know that one - I assume if I mess up and end up in LOS they will murder me though.

I would certainly not mind logging in and helping you acquire the big necro research spells. They are a pain to gather mats for, although you can "usually" find a seller in EC tunnel who has them. While not rich myself, I have plenty of plat where I could just get you the spells for free. I also maxed out leveling up my research skill and may even have the mats in my research bank bags still.

Just post on here when you hit 34 or whatever and I can meet up with you in-game. Always happy to help out fellow lizardmen. :)

si
Apr 26, 2004
Cool, if I make it that far I'll take you up on it. I'm prone to my episodes in games being short lived due to life calling me back away. 30s are a lot of hours played from now. Though this winter is being pretty miserable so far, which is encouraging for sitting around indoors instead of doing things.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Pretty sure a banker will bank with you even if it's actively attacking you.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Summit posted:

Pretty sure a banker will bank with you even if it's actively attacking you.

:eyepop:

"More money for me, gently caress you."

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Banker los trick is real easy to do in north freeport and kelethin. You can sell your junk in oasis as well. No pressing need for neriak faction.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That's a good point.

You can also sell your stuff to Shady and most of the other vendors in West Commons, but using your invis and running to the Freeport bank would be fairly trivial.

I guess Neriak faction might be worthwhile so you can go buy spells but I think the Neriak necromancer guild has actual undead running around that might eat you regardless of faction.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Thought necros could bank anywhere with gather shadows & feign death.

Yep. While the LOS trick certainly isn't hard to master, it's worth mentioning that you can bank while FD (though pretty much no other NPC interactions work while FD). Necros get it at 16. You roll in invis, pop FD, and you're usually done casting and on the ground before anything's even aggro. It's also a nice way to stay safe from pathers or trains from careless high levels people aggroing mobs on the way to the bank while you're LOS banking.

si
Apr 26, 2004
So far banking hasn't been a concern - I haven't used one at all. Just being able to get to merchants to sell junk and buy spells.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

suuma posted:

You can also sell your stuff to Shady and most of the other vendors in West Commons, but using your invis and running to the Freeport bank would be fairly trivial.

Don't sell to Shady if you can help it. Certain vendors are flagged as "greedy" and give you less money for your goods while charging more for theirs. Shady is one of em. I always check how much one of my clickies sells for before vendoring poo poo to a merchant I'm unfamiliar with, to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Good point, I was just thinking of it as better than not vendoring at all because you're KOS and have full bags.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Hoyeah, now that's the classic EQ I remember. Burn 2 hours for 40% of a level.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

si posted:

Hoyeah, now that's the classic EQ I remember. Burn 2 hours for 40% of a level.

Congratulations! You're only 60% from level 3.

si
Apr 26, 2004
40% from level 9, goon sir!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Oh man, this thread. I just went from getting ready to reinstall and jump on my teen necro to realizing I have 2 new borns and hahahaha.

Aparmenideanmonad, I imagine your kids are quite large now from when this server kicked off, assuming I remember correctly. What was your trick?!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not to be an enabler here buuut...

If you roll something like a wizard or necro that can solo, you can just kill - med - kill - kill - med - etc while feeding the baby! Save grouping for when kiddo is asleep for the evening.

I have been contemplating these things myself as we are about to have our own in six or so months. :v:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's easy when you've got a baby. Once they can run around and aren't happy chilling in their crib or sleeping all day, then you can't realistically play and "watch" them at the same time. So, you can only play when they're in bed, which then competes with quality spouse time...which is one of the reasons I haven't played much in the last 2-3 years. This thread is about all the EQing I do these days.

si
Apr 26, 2004
So where's an Iksar to go when you hit 10? The FoB pit area is still OK, but a majority of the enemies now are either red or green. It's a bit annoying trying to pick through for the blues. I'm guessing there's somewhere better at this point.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

si posted:

So where's an Iksar to go when you hit 10? The FoB pit area is still OK, but a majority of the enemies now are either red or green. It's a bit annoying trying to pick through for the blues. I'm guessing there's somewhere better at this point.

Kurns. Just hope you didn't kill a single one of those mole guys and they should leave you alone.

si
Apr 26, 2004
I didn't - though I went over there and that just seems to be all those same red mobs and some new red mobs. I'm finding that white are about 60% odds for me and anything above that is doooooooom. Have to take it kind of easy with solid blues. Gotta do some more looking I guess.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Found a kind soul looking to group and wanted to go there anyhow, so he showed me the ropes. Very nice! Xp there is quite good. Almost to 11 now.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

So whats the raid scene look like? Who are the major raiding guilds? I hate myself just enough that I want to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Justaddwater posted:

So whats the raid scene look like? Who are the major raiding guilds? I hate myself just enough that I want to try it.

If it is anything like on Live the raiding guilds will have gear and level requirements. You can grind out your epic, some planar and ToV gear with Kittens, which should give you a descent start, but real end game raiding is about being level 60 and getting your resists up there.

Level in Seb, Howling Stones etc and you'll group with raiders and find out what guilds are good and which are just cunts.