Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

AlexF posted:

The last couple of weeks felt like a parody of working. Constantly wondering if we're secretly being filmed.

There is, yes. I don't know why, but I'm making sure to include it in every little piece of conversation about the movie. Question: Do you think operation is pronounced English or German in this case? And is it "twelve" or "zwölf"?

Why mit go full German with Die Operation: Zwölf Starke. Honestly it sounds like a very elaborate Arbwitsbeschaffungsmaẞnahme by your bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cage posted:

They didnt put Jr or Sr on the poster, but if you look at the poster thats clearly his son.

Speaking of nepotism cases that turned out to be good actors, he's really great in Ingrid Goes West.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Deserve my rear end, that's just nepotism. She is a good actress tho.

She could've flopped around in garbage for the next few years instead of being someone people want.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

*adds a new entry to famous_pissing_scenes.docx*

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Jurassic World II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn9mMeWcgoM

Interesting I guess.

Trailer is odd with some weirdly paced cues and it feels like it misfires.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Deserve my rear end, that's just nepotism. She is a good actress tho.

I'm not really sure if it counts as nepotism when the only associations coming from your family name are universally negative.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Interesting I guess.

Im going to withhold judgement for now. I enjoyed the last one. Not because it was necessarily good, but because it delivered exactly what I expected. Mother loving dinosaurs loving poo poo up.

Plus, it has bonus Goldblum. So that's gotta count for something.(except it didn't help one bit in that terrible Independence Day sequel).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Interesting I guess.

Feels like I just saw the whole movie unless they’re doing a Lost World and the last act is back in the US.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That looks so loving bad. Now I don't have to have a cautious optimism and I can just ignore it entirely.

Hopefully I can get to the point with the rest of these mega franchises that I can just ignore them entirely. I swear to god, Star Wars, you have one more chance. And also maybe Han Solo. And maybe the new Rian trilogy starter, and maybe...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's a disappointing trailer.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

BonoMan posted:

Interesting I guess.

The Lost Park: Jurassic World

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BonoMan posted:

Interesting I guess.

God why do all these movies have to involve the Dinosaurs dying in the end?

gently caress you US government for wanting these dinosaurs to go extinct even though there is nearly another dinosaur island down a few miles

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Surprised by all the people I know already super hyped by this trailer. I guess it's fitting tho cuz I never saw or cared about the first one and then looked up one day and it was one of the best selling films of all time or something.
I guess I'd see it if it were free.
And someone paid for my gas.
And enough beer for it to be fun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Five movies to show a Carnotaurus, kill it in the trailer.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm not really sure if it counts as nepotism when the only associations coming from your family name are universally negative.

Was there a Dakota Fanning scandal I missed somewhere?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dakota Fanning just kind of sucks I guess. She did Twilight and who knows what now.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Dakota Fanning just kind of sucks I guess. She did Twilight and who knows what now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWB-MVJ4sQ

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FoneBone posted:

Was there a Dakota Fanning scandal I missed somewhere?

No, but she's a really bad actress for the most part (I actually didn't realize that was her in Zygote, mostly because Blomkamp actually pulled a good performance out of her somehow) so I can't imagine Elle really got that much of a boost beyond basic "oh I know that last name."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
John Landis is a murderer and Stephen King has some really weird poo poo he's written about black people and jizz n poo poo & they still got their semi talented sons careers. Nepotism is nepotism. Decently talented (or at least not completely bereft of it?) and the child of someone who's already made it in show business? You got this. Just make the 8th copycat of that ant fungus creepy pasta story or something.
What is it with "comic book writer" being an instant entry job with entertainment industry failsons incidentally? Reminds me of Gene Simmons' son making that comic that ended up being super plagiarized from Japan

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Punkin Spunkin posted:

John Landis is a murderer and Stephen King has some really weird poo poo he's written about black people and jizz n poo poo & they still got their semi talented sons careers. Nepotism is nepotism. Decently talented (or at least not completely bereft of it?) and the child of someone who's already made it in show business? You got this. Just make the 8th copycat of that ant fungus creepy pasta story or something.
What is it with "comic book writer" being an instant entry job with entertainment industry failsons incidentally? Reminds me of Gene Simmons' son making that comic that ended up being super plagiarized from Japan

see, the difference is John Landis and Stephen King are actually good at their jobs. when most people think of John Landis, they think of Animal House and American Werewolf in London, not helicopter accidents, and Stephen King wrote Carrie and The loving Shining. i'm not saying Dakota Fanning has negative associations because she's done anything horrible, i'm saying it because she's a staggeringly awful actress; the thought of someone going "oh, that terrible actress' sister? let's hire her over someone else!" is actively hilarious to me, whereas nepotism in those cases makes some sort of sense (and honestly, Stephen King is a doubly hilarious example to use because Joe Hill is arguably better than his dad and goes out of his way, Nic Cage style, to avoid being associated with him).

e: seriously, Locke & Key is really, really loving good and NOS4A2 is sick as hell too, he's at the same quality level as his dad's early days except he doesn't have to be hosed up on a hundred different substances to do it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 8, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BonoMan posted:

Interesting I guess.

What a weird and hosed up trailer but looks like it'll be fun like the last one was.

Hoping Goldblum's role is more than what I'm assuming is just a cameo.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thought of someone going "oh, that terrible actress' sister? let's hire her over someone else!" is actively hilarious to me

Nepotism isn't just getting hired because you have connections, it can be getting your foot in the door. Getting people to seriously consider your resume/headshot/etc. is a huge advantage, even if you still need something to back up it to get the job.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Pacific Rim 2 featurette from Tokyo Comicon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKJvQD4l3A

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Gonz posted:

Pacific Rim 2 featurette from Tokyo Comicon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKJvQD4l3A

I look forward to watching obnoxious teenagers pilot skyscraper-sized robots.

viral spiral fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 8, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved this when I saw it, but my brain some how replaced her with her sister.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: seriously, Locke & Key is really, really loving good and NOS4A2 is sick as hell too, he's at the same quality level as his dad's early days except he doesn't have to be hosed up on a hundred different substances to do it.
:agreed:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Alitamovie/status/938951309272612865

Oh they are actually making this movie?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

This would be worth watching if Cameron was directing. Rodriguez? Nah I'm good, thx

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pycckuu posted:

*adds a new entry to famous_pissing_scenes.docx*

Is tom hanks still at 3 or did he do another?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I have no idea what Alita Battle Angel is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

viral spiral posted:

manga about post-apocalyptic kung-fu cyborgs beating the poo poo out of each other in insanely gory ways

it loving rules

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

feedmyleg posted:

That looks so loving bad. Now I don't have to have a cautious optimism and I can just ignore it entirely.

Hopefully I can get to the point with the rest of these mega franchises that I can just ignore them entirely. I swear to god, Star Wars, you have one more chance. And also maybe Han Solo. And maybe the new Rian trilogy starter, and maybe...

Why would Star Wars get another chance, of all things? It's possibly the most creatively bankrupt of them all. TFA was a reskinned ANH, and TLJ will be a reskinned ESB, it's that simple. Here, I'll save you the trouble: Rey and Kylo are brother and sister, or some other ridiculously hamfisted retread plot beat that everyone is willfully blind to prior to their ticket sale.

Ammanas posted:

This would be worth watching if Cameron was directing. Rodriguez? Nah I'm good, thx

Ah yes, Quality Director James Cameron, your chaperone through Avatar 2/3/4 and 5

viral spiral posted:

An influential manga/anime in the vein of Ghost in the Shell, created around the same time.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 8, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

viral spiral posted:

It's a really good graphic novel/manga series. I've read the original 9 volumes several times over.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ah yes, Quality Director James Cameron, your chaperone through Avatar 2/3/4 and 5

If Avatar didn't obliterate the box office, you sure as poo poo know his adaptation of Battle Angel would have. The source material fits his style perfectly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I mean, I agree and he's wanted to make it forever...but he's also become a complete hack.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Doesn't "hack" mean a mediocre mercenary? I thought Cameron relaunched the Avatar series out of spite.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Most dictionaries seem to agree that the etymology goes hackney horse => coach/cab => hireling (in writing) => shoddy writer, but only Wiktionary appears to have the exact one meant here: "One who is professionally successful despite producing mediocre work. (Usually applied to persons in a creative field.)"

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

kiimo posted:

That's a disappointing trailer.

Do you know the trailer house behind that one? I'm sure it's only like 10% their fault, but geez there's cues in this that are worse than that one scene in the Days of future past trailer.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's too bad Battle Angel probably won't have a neptunian dick robot until the third trilogy or so. :sigh:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ammanas posted:

If you mean 1986 Cameron, yes. But join me in the difficult acceptance that the Cameron we love died on the Titanic.

The guy has absolutely vanished so far up his own rear end that even one of those high dollar submersibles he's so big on couldn't find him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

AlternateAccount posted:

If you mean 1986 Cameron, yes. But join me in the difficult acceptance that the Cameron we love died on the Titanic.

The guy has absolutely vanished so far up his own rear end that even one of those high dollar submersibles he's so big on couldn't find him.

I mean, he's done one bad movie since Titanic and maybe two(?) bad movies total. I'm just as unexcited for endless Avatar sequels as the next guy, but I'd still be excited about Cameron doing literally any other film.

• Locked thread