Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General_Failure posted:

Yep. I was fully expecting some crusty old troll to throw a spanner in the works at the last minute. Somehow it didn't happen. I guess very occasionally the government can be pressured into doing what the majority want.

There were crusty old troll amendments thrown in, but were voted down by a huge margin. This included a MP actually criticising his 8 year old daughter's guitar playing on public record, trying to make some point that people will run into his house uninvited to get gay married I think? Not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A friend just offered a 2003 Camry with 190K to me for $1900 so maybe crisis averted.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

You Am I posted:

There were crusty old troll amendments thrown in, but were voted down by a huge margin. This included a MP actually criticising his 8 year old daughter's guitar playing on public record, trying to make some point that people will run into his house uninvited to get gay married I think? Not sure.

Was it Bob Katter? He's saying some very ...odd things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

General_Failure posted:

So I just looked up a heater cartridge and I still don't understand what they are.

3D printer parts. In this case, the bit that actually melts the filament.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

3D printer parts. In this case, the bit that actually melts the filament.

Ah. Gotcha. Because I found the part but with no context. I learned something today!

I accidentally ended up on the Australia First party's website just now via Google Images. At least I think it was. I really hope it's just a parody site. Please, please tell me that's true. It can't be real. It's like someone trying to poorly emulate The Onion. I wish I could emigrate.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

A friend just offered a 2003 Camry with 190K to me for $1900 so maybe crisis averted.

I've got a 1985 Volvo 240 with 260k that you can have for $3800, think how much harder you can not give a gently caress about that over a nice car like a 2003 Camry.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Realtalk -- My beater/dd is a 2000 Avalon that's just about to hit 165k. It's been in a couple wrecks. It's got some lumps and bumps. It looks presentable, but not nice (by any definition). It does have power everything, heated seats, automatic climate control, a $150 bluetooth touchscreen, and it does everything I need from a car, all while getting 30mpg on the freeway. It's stupid, it's gutless, but it has no rust and it is quite possibly the perfect car appliance.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Shame it's the wrong part of the world. There's a mid '70s-ish 4 door MB near me for $1500, and a similar vintage 2 door which I think is for sale too. I think there's also some Ford Capri convertibles and some Saab 900 convertibles for sale in town too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My friend just bought a used 2016 Mazda 3 with 40k miles, but it was a rental car previously. Any reason that a Mazda 3 is going to be more hosed as a previous rental car than any other make? I always assumed they'd be slightly more maintenance sensitive than a Toyota, but hadn't really looked into it. I will say they have really comfortable seats, I had one as a rental and it was the only seat that didn't make my back stiff after a 1.5 hr drive to work.

Speaking of cheap cars, this same friend took $700 for trade in on their 2002 Honda Accord, which recently had the distributor and valve cover gaskets replaced. It was throwing a CEL for the cat, but had I known they were going to get a new car I would have given them $800, fixed it and detailed it, then resold it. Although from checking CL, I'm surprised how cheap some of the local Accords of that era are.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 7, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

My friend just bought a used 2016 Mazda 3 with 40k miles, but it was a rental car previously. Any reason that a Mazda 3 is going to be more hosed as a previous rental car than any other make? I always assumed they'd be slightly more maintenance sensitive than a Toyota, but hadn't really looked into it. I will say they have really comfortable seats, I had one as a rental and it was the only seat that didn't make my back stiff after a 1.5 hr drive to work.

The brand has very little to do with anything in comparison to the fact that it was a RENTAL CAR. Never, ever even THINK of purchasing a former rental car.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah they knew I wouldn't approve, usually I get a call every time their car has any issue or the mechanic wants to do anything, but this time they just went and did it all without calling me. Do rental agencies do things like change the oil in-house at the agency? Or at least, write down they changed the oil in a log book to ensure they can still make a warranty claim if needed (but not actually change it).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Good poo poo, offer him 1500 take the Camry and run.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

The brand has very little to do with anything in comparison to the fact that it was a RENTAL CAR. Never, ever even THINK of purchasing a former rental car.

FWIW my family bought a former Nissan Altima rental at 40k miles. Currently is sitting at 130k and runs fine.

Probably just got lucky with this one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I just do not understand women. Am I breathing wrong now or something?

And people wonder why I collect lovely broken rear end Subarus

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do you have the same hair-trigger with people in real life like you do with us? :iiam:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mariooncrack posted:

FWIW my family bought a former Nissan Altima rental at 40k miles. Currently is sitting at 130k and runs fine.

Probably just got lucky with this one.
I used to be 100% anti ex-rentals as well but either the cars are built better now or just lucky.

My folks play Russian roulette but it's worked out. They had an early 00s Grand Am ex-rental which gave them 12+ years of service with nothing but general maintenance, and is still driven by my niece to this day absolutely trouble-free. She then replaced it with a Mitsu RVR (Outlander Sport) and it also hasn't needed a thing other than a keyless entry fob.

:shrug:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Some people like one-owner used cars where the PO took 50% of the depreciation hit, some people like 3500 owners-who-didn't-give-a-gently caress-about-it-and-did-neutral-drops-from-6200rpm-while-jerking-off-into-the-ashtray cars to save $500. Different strokes, etc.

I would never in a hundred billion years buy a former rental.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CAMRY

So this is clearly the worst idea and I will buy the beat up Spectra.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

CAMRY

So this is clearly the worst idea and I will buy the beat up Spectra.

I shake my head everytime I see the passenger side dash of these. Can't be assed to be discrete, this joker's got an airbag hole the size of a kleenex box, right there in front of you!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And people wonder why I collect lovely broken rear end Subarus
Don't even try. Just go mess with cars or do something else you enjoy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bitcoin is trading at over $17500 each after peaking at $19000 today.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ell oh loving ell at the poor sap who's buying in at that price

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Only to find out they can’t actually exchange it back en masse for cash, or LOL when whatever big exchange it is now dies and loses everyones wallets.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Do you have the same hair-trigger with people in real life like you do with us? :iiam:

https://i.imgur.com/2BALvKW.mp4

InitialDave posted:

Don't even try. Just go mess with cars or do something else you enjoy.

It's more trying to understand why I get radio silence from someone for what I see is for no good reason... but yet the ex-wife is immediatly on the phone asking how I am the second she finds out I've broken up and having a tough time. I. Do. Not. Understand. This. poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Someone who used to be emotionally invested in you still has wiring that makes them care, and the other person is an introvert and/or socially awkward, or just not interested?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Go ride your bike. gently caress* people.

*The meaning of this that isn't sex.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
CI, you could be in a much worse boat than you are.

I for instance, am 31, and can count the number of sexual encounters not involving only my left hand that I've had in my life, on less than all the fingers of my left hand.

I ain't incel, I'm just terrified of letting someone else into my life and weirdness.

E: Not that this is about sex, but just to give you an idea of how infrequently I dip my toes into the dating pool.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 8, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Someone who used to be emotionally invested in you still has wiring that makes them care, and the other person is an introvert and/or socially awkward, or just not interested?

The reason why I dont get it is that we've both been put through the ringer in the last few months and we've helped each other a lot to survive. I absolute do NOT want more or expect anything but she's just gone completely quiet. I. Dont. Understand. This.

And yet the people who you think would be the ones that dont care are on the phone or on Messenger and are backing up what they say.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ah yes, the silent treatment. Dealt with that kind of poo poo in high school, sounds like someone needs to grow up and communicate their feelings.

It's got nothing to do with being a woman, and everything to do with being an insecure and/or immature person. Sounds like you need to move on honestly.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So I moved the old wardrobe from the bedroom today. With a hammer, but nevermind that.

Say hello to my kitchen. A whole diagonal section of that poo poo. I was wondering what my daily "gently caress you!" would be today. Was not disappointed.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Made it halfway through a week in Mexico with my family injury free. So of course today I managed to step on a sea urchin followed by slamming my knee into a different rock trying to get back to shore. Then, while adjusting a lounge chair so I could lay down and have my uncle dig the bits of urchin out of my heel, I smashed the tip of my right ring finger. Didn't hurt too much at the time, but quickly swelled to about twice it's normal size and turned dark purple. Pretty sure I did some real damage to it, but it's past the knuckle so gently caress it. Good thing beer is cheap here...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

the spyder posted:

I'm a fan of the Creality CR-10 right now. It was around $340 shipped two weeks ago and so far minus some idiot mistakes on my end, it's been great.

There's no way I'd get anything else right now. I paid $900 for my Prusa a year ago, and the quality and ease of construction of the CR-10 seems better from reviews.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We finally got around to watching Baby Driver tonight and uh, this was not great.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General_Failure posted:

Was it Bob Katter? He's saying some very ...odd things.

No, mainly Liberals wanting more protections for bigots and homophobes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Went car shopping last night. Car 1 sold before we got there, pity.
Car 2, 10 yr old corolla:rusty. That doesn't happen, what did they do to it?
Car 3, 15yr old accord. Nothing wrong, short listed
Car 4: CRV hybrid, bait and switch on the price, listed at £2800, price on the window £5500. Bunch of knobs.

Got real dark real quick, abandoned expedition.

Tonight looking at a c-max if I can get to it before it sells, rusts or the price doubles.

Used car shopping sucks, even for beaters.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Car 4: CRV hybrid, bait and switch on the price, listed at £2800, price on the window £5500. Bunch of knobs.

Tonight looking at a c-max if I can get to it before it sells, rusts or the price doubles.

Do they not have public car auctions where you live?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The reason why I dont get it is that we've both been put through the ringer in the last few months and we've helped each other a lot to survive. I absolute do NOT want more or expect anything but she's just gone completely quiet. I. Dont. Understand. This.

And yet the people who you think would be the ones that dont care are on the phone or on Messenger and are backing up what they say.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ah yes, the silent treatment. Dealt with that kind of poo poo in high school, sounds like someone needs to grow up and communicate their feelings.

It's got nothing to do with being a woman, and everything to do with being an insecure and/or immature person. Sounds like you need to move on honestly.
Well, it kind of is a "woman" thing, there's a good reason the stereotype exists, it's more that it's learned behaviour rather than anything inherent to their gender, and luckily most are mature enough not to engage in such silliness. But if someone's going to try the "if you don't know what's wrong, I'm not going to tell you" routine, yeah, I can't be doing with that.

It may just be she deals better with some stuff by closing off and ruminating on it a bit alone, but Cat would know whether that's the case or not if he's known her a while.

If she is the type to sulk about it and try to use silence to punish you, well, if you're in the wrong, apologise, and leave her to sort herself out. If you're not in the wrong, jump straight to leaving her to sort herself out.

From the previous discussion about incel types and your reaction, Cat, I think maybe it's partly an age thing. You're not that much older than me, really, but I think you're old enough that you were brought up with a slightly more rose tinted view of interacting with women, and while you're good at treating them equally and fairly when things are the right side up, perhaps it's left a gap in being able to see them as being nasty and manipulative when that's what's happening. Treating women as equals also means accepting some of them can be cunts and acting accordingly.

There's a certain amount of truth in the joke that when men say they don't understand women, they forget that women understand women, and they often want nothing to do with each other.

I can't see you disappearing into some kind of misogynistic hole and ranting about "the females", but really, if you're not at fault - or you are, and aren't being allowed to apologise out of spite - there's nothing wrong with pushing that onto her, and just going and getting on with something that makes you happy.

Also, just talk about it. We (as a society) are still pretty poo poo at helping guys unpack this kind of thing and chew it over, but it's better than it was.

And if your ex is talking to you, yeah, talk to her about it, because:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd just buy the accord and be done with it if the price is right.

Also, if you're looking at cars up for £2800, I think you're getting outside of the "cheap" territory of £1500 and under, and will encounter a lot of what are really £1500 cars with another grand or so stuck on them to try it on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MomJeans420 posted:

Speaking of cheap cars, this same friend took $700 for trade in on their 2002 Honda Accord, which recently had the distributor and valve cover gaskets replaced. It was throwing a CEL for the cat, but had I known they were going to get a new car I would have given them $800, fixed it and detailed it, then resold it. Although from checking CL, I'm surprised how cheap some of the local Accords of that era are.

That's because they really weren't great cars. The engines were solid, if it had the manual transmission that was also solid. The rest of the car was "ehhh, good enough", and the automatic transmissions were a 14 inch dick dicer jeep fire when they were behind the V6 (the auto behind the 2.3 was a bit more reliable, but still not known for longevity).

I had an 01 with the 4 cylinder and manual, and it was reliable enough (aside from a weird stalling issue that nobody ever could figure out - it'd die at random when I would put the clutch in, which was fun when clutching in to downshift going around, say, a cloverleaf highway interchange and suddenly losing power steering), but everything else about the car was pretty disappointing compared to older Hondas (prior to that, I'd owned 2 Accords, 2 Civics, and an Integra, ranging from 1988-1996). The one thing that it did VERY well was get fantastic highway mileage - a midsize sedan of that era has no business getting 33-35 mpg on road trips, but it did, with the cruise set at ~80 and the ac blasting.

I will say the VTEC version of the 4 cylinder was at least a little fun to drive, it definitely woke up a bit when you whipped it. But it was an absolute dog if you didn't wind it up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

We finally got around to watching Baby Driver tonight and uh, this was not great.

You are dead to me. Baby Driver goddamn rocked HARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Auction: Not that I can get to easily or quickly with my work schedule. I'm also not comfortable buying at this cost at auction, I'd get about 10 seconds to examine and decide to buy and I'd be bidding against dozens of small car lot buyers who know what they're doing.

InitialDave posted:

I'd just buy the accord and be done with it if the price is right.

Also, if you're looking at cars up for £2800, I think you're getting outside of the "cheap" territory of £1500 and under, and will encounter a lot of what are really £1500 cars with another grand or so stuck on them to try it on.

The hybrid was the only more expensive car I looked at because at that price if the drivetrain was good I'd fix anything else and deal with it. I'll check out the c-max because it's right by work and will actually do us for a couple of years.

Also my wife last night pointed out that the DVLA MOT checker went from good to fantastic recently, just put the registration in and get the whole digital history including advisories. Check it out if you weren't aware.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 8, 2017

• Locked thread