Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Soothing Vapors posted:

Agreed, but Cox and Bernthal were so good together I still want to see him in DD

I think some ninjas broke in and chopped onions when I watched that scene where Frank was telling Matt about coming home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think some ninjas broke in and chopped onions when I watched that scene where Frank was telling Matt about coming home.

This version of the Punisher is so goddamn human. Which is a real rarity for the character, Marvel lucked out hard with the casting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

This version of the Punisher is so goddamn human. Which is a real rarity for the character, Marvel lucked out hard with the casting.

Hearing him talk about them and knowing they got ripped away really sells it.

I hate the part where he talks about being on the plane home and expecting God to kick it away. One of my friends was killed in a hit and run at the airport on the way back from Afghanistan right before thanksgiving 2014 so that poo poo is just too real.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

enraged_camel posted:

One rather big plot hole in Punisher seemed to be when Russo visited Madani after killing her partner, and then during the conversation said something about her partner being stabbed to death.

It was basically something he would have no way of knowing, unless he was there. But Madani didn't seem to catch on (unless I missed something).

Being in the bathtub together covered in blood without saying a word implies they talked about what happened earlier.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Being in the bathtub together covered in blood without saying a word implies they talked about what happened earlier.

They weren't in the bathtub together. Madani was sitting in the tub staring into the water, too shaken to talk, while Billy was sitting on the edge washing her partner's dried blood off her. The scene definitely didn't give the impression that they chatted about the details of what occurred.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I might be remembering it wrong but didn't she say something like "how did you know he was stabbed?"?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

They weren't in the bathtub together. Madani was sitting in the tub staring into the water, too shaken to talk, while Billy was sitting on the edge washing her partner's dried blood off her. The scene definitely didn't give the impression that they chatted about the details of what occurred.

That's not how visual storytelling works. If a character knows something that we didn't physically see the character learn, it is implied the character learned it in the time between scene transitions.

Field Mousepad posted:

I might be remembering it wrong but didn't she say something like "how did you know he was stabbed?"?

I don't remember now. I guess I need to rewatch it. In my memory he was in the tub with her, which is apparently incorrect.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

That's not how visual storytelling works. If a character knows something that we didn't physically see the character learn, it is implied the character learned it in the time between scene transitions.

Stop talking out of your rear end.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Stop talking out of your rear end.
The beginning of episode 8 tells us that Billy is a psychopath. It tells us Billy didn't need reasons for anything he did. It tells us he is a psychopath. It told us he was a psychopath even before he opened the door to the room in the nursing home. It told us without saying a word. This show had an amazing amount of thought put into it.
The scene with Russo and Madani with the long pause after he says maybe it was her partner's fault he got stabbed was carefully crafted and purposely threw an obvious trope up in the air, then went another direction. The show made a point of doing it throughout the entire season. Madani shows up in the last episode and you expect a trope. Nope, it purposely jars you with an abrupt deviation.

I'm talking out of my rear end? It's not my fault you think you are smarter than the writers because you don't see subtext, or that you just flat out disregard the intelligence of other people. In this case, first; the writing, directing, and editing team and then secondly me. I was not trying to be rude when I explained it the first time, so I'm sorry for coming across that way. I'm not sorry for it in this post.

Quiz time. How does Madani finally figure out that Russo killed her partner? The light bulb goes off in the stairwell stand off. It's not in any way hidden. It's not a puzzle. It's pretty straightforward. Anyone can answer. I'm just following up with discussion. I like talking about this stuff. The episode I'm referencing is the one that runs scenes out of order from different points of view. I didn't mind that episode, but the start was a little too abrupt. The same thing happened to me that someone else posted. I thought my web-player skipped, and I restarted the episode thinking it skipped forward.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 8, 2017

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Is the "going home" scene where Frank breaks down in the graveyard?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is the "going home" scene where Frank breaks down in the graveyard?

Yep. Frank breaks down and infodumps his backstory on Matt in the graveyard.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Make season 2 insanely violent and do the Nicky cavella storyline.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think they should save Jigsaw until season 3. Would give the character some time to recover and recollect his memory, brood, scheme, etc.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I woke up and reread my last post. Sorry for being obnoxious. I was talking out of my rear end.

Edit - also the psychopath stuff I was referencing in episode 8 is that billy’s bathroom routine was referencing American Psycho.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 8, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Billy is in my opinion one of my favorite TV psychopaths, perhaps one of the most realistic. The actor did a good job.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

cosmicjim posted:

I woke up and reread my last post. Sorry for being obnoxious. I was talking out of my rear end.
every poster in this thread has been an obnoxious rear end-talker at some point, it was just your time in the sun

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Billy is in my opinion one of my favorite TV psychopaths, perhaps one of the most realistic. The actor did a good job.
the way he hissed "am I pretty now?" or whatever it was he actually said to Sam as he killed him was chilling. he real good

Cythereal posted:

Yep. Frank breaks down and infodumps his backstory on Matt in the graveyard.

oh yeah, that scene was loving incredible

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Jose posted:

Make season 2 insanely violent and do the Nicky cavella storyline.

This,if only for the, Nicky :you fucks work for me!"

Random lower mook : What are you gonna do nicky? get us whacked?,they're all dead.."

Nicky : :stonk:

Fantastic scene,also i'd loving LOVE to see them do pittsy.

edit another great bit from that scene : "Funny thing about loyalty,it always works well for guys like you,never works for guys like us"

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 8, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Man, Nicky Cavella would be a pretty great response to him killing a bunch of Gnuccis.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nicky doing what he does to start it all would serve as a logical start to season 2 after how season 1 ended.

Think it's all a bit too violent though

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I think the slavers would be more uncomfortable to watch,(bad guys being gutted while alive,people being burned alive,the kettle scene,rape, and dead babies)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I think the slavers would be more uncomfortable to watch,(bad guys being gutted while alive,people being burned alive,the kettle scene,rape, and dead babies)

I did lead to the moment in a later storyline where Frank tries to convince himself that he didn't comment those acts, that even he was horrified on some level at what he had done

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
When I started watching this I kept wondering 'who is this guy that looks like Mike Pence' and eventually figured out the actor played Father Intintola on the Sopranos. He didn't age so well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

R-Type posted:

When I started watching this I kept wondering 'who is this guy that looks like Mike Pence' and eventually figured out the actor played Father Intintola on the Sopranos. He didn't age so well.

Sopranos is kind of an old show now and when you shave bald you become very different-looking.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Davros1 posted:

I did lead to the moment in a later storyline where Frank tries to convince himself that he didn't comment those acts, that even he was horrified on some level at what he had done

Good thing ghost rider wasn't around...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I certainly want a great amount of titillating, gratuitous, gratifying violence in my Punisher shows, but I like the fact that this Netflix Punisher is at least sort of circumspect and restrained about what exactly he does. It's really nice that this version of the character falls more-or-less perfectly in-line with my personal idealized version of the character, as summarized way back when in this thread.

BrianWilly posted:

I think Punisher could work as a more standard hero -- or at least as an anti-hero -- if they focus less on the fact that he seems to brutally execute every single bad guy he comes across and more on the issue that, hey, sometimes -- not all the time but at least some of the time -- killing some of these guys is completely justified and defensible. He would still be working outside the law which would force the police and other heroes to try to deal with him, and this would still set him apart from the sort of characters who take their no-kill decrees very seriously, but it wouldn't depict Frank as some sort of "madman that has to be stopped" or whatever which, in my opinion, hurts the character more than it doesn't.

'Cuz, y'know what, sometimes it is really dumb to spare these bad guys. Sometimes it is utterly absurd for some heroes -- in their more badly-written moments -- to be wringing their hands about how all killing is bad no matter what -- why? BECAUSE that's why -- and Punisher is a good character with which to explore that worldview.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^totally agree with all that^^^

Show would have loving sucked if they just made Frank Sadistic Murderer Guy and if everything was just bullets flying everywhere constantly. They did a good job with this show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Get Frank back in DD by doing the Matt in prison story, where Frank gets arrested so he can protect and help Matt

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's more character development in Netflix's The Punisher then almost decades of comics stories. Ennis' run is good stuff, but its all too often more about how The Punisher impacts the world around him.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Eight episodes into Iron Fist and this thread title is so relevant.

Enjoying the hell out of it tho.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

See, that'd be a good season, too. Somebody who is no threat to Frank or anyone he personally cares about, nor has ever done anything to him to warrant revenge, but they're just doing such evil poo poo to people that he can't not do anything about it. Make it unambiguously his choice to go down that road again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

enraged_camel posted:

I think they should save Jigsaw until season 3. Would give the character some time to recover and recollect his memory, brood, scheme, etc.
Considering how Netflix does mini-arcs for most of its shows, it'll more likely be season 2.0 with a different plot and season 2.5 has Jigsaw return as the big bad.

All I want is one bottle episode where Frank snipes a bunch of people from a treehouse in Central Park, like that issue of War Zone where he was hunting down a serial rapist.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If I have zero interest in Daredevil could I pick up Punisher without any problems? It sounds like its in some ways a direct-ish sequel to events in DDs2.

e: Last Netflix Marvel show I watched was JJones, which I liked a lot of, and Luke Cage, which I liked some of and gradually lost interest. Never saw any of Daredevil or Iron Fist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ravenfood posted:

If I have zero interest in Daredevil could I pick up Punisher without any problems? It sounds like its in some ways a direct-ish sequel to events in DDs2.

e: Last Netflix Marvel show I watched was JJones, which I liked a lot of, and Luke Cage, which I liked some of and gradually lost interest. Never saw any of Daredevil or Iron Fist.

You can watch Punisher without watching DD2 with no problem.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Daredevil is pretty drat good though. It has the best fight sequences out of all the marvel Netflix shows I think, plus a couple really good ones with the punisher.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I had zero interest in Daredevil but it was a really good show. It's a very VERY slow burn. But it was all good. The character building is really spot on, moreso for the bad guys. Punishers appearance pushed it over the top.

You can watch Punisher as a stand alone, though. It was kinda made to be it's own thing happening after the events in DD and doesn't really give anything away or interact too much other than one character who is also sort of on her own.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
March 8

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/939601813682057216

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Honestly I think there's more to be said for shows that hold your interest from show to show than "slow burn" stuff. "Slow burn" is code for boring.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You can certainly watch Punisher on its own, all you need to know is that Karen is from DD and she helped clear Frank's name while he helped her get out of a big mess, so they're close and might have some romantic tension if only Frank weren't so broken. But I'd at the very least watch the cemetery scene from Daredevil's 2nd season. Bernthal absolutely nails it.

Someone needs to do a Punisher-only fanedit of Daredevil and compress it all into a prequel episode.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Nah, slow burn is at worst code for a boring /start/, and even that isn't always true, since that's often just a poorly done slow burn.

A good slow burn is interesting throughout, it's just that a climax or plot twist that's been intricately put together over a long time is often way more mindblowing than ones that don't put so much work into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There's nothing wrong with a slow burn if the characters are compelling and well written. That's more or less the point of that kind of pacing.