Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

This is the least surprising thing ever. They’re bleeding cash, and need revenue faster than they can grow their base. They should have done what charities often do: give a checkbox to cover the processing fees if the donor wants to.

An update for those following along at home: https://twitter.com/Burrito_Tim/status/938943641791401986

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Fiduciary duty”? Why, I never!

Seriously, are executives getting kickbacks or what?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

“Fiduciary duty”? Why, I never!

Seriously, are executives getting kickbacks or what?

PLEASE BUY US, PAYPAL, WE'RE BEGGING YOU!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

do you not know what semitic means

i mean, even the graph they use to demonstrate it is pretty much literally what you're describing

also, israeli isn't a language

I meant the longer white chart that was in the quote in the quote. However, after looking again, there literally is an Israeli chart and I missed it. I blame the fact that I'm actually in Israel right now and I'm pretty sure there's something in the water here that causes brain damage (also jet lag).

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How do you even gently caress up a business where you're just skimming money off other people's work. They're failing capitalism.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This got me curious about the world’s highest low point.

Lesotho holds the record of 1400 m

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elevation_extremes_by_country

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mobby_6kl posted:

How do you even gently caress up a business where you're just skimming money off other people's work. They're failing capitalism.

Seriously though this is baffling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

patreon is changing their fee structure so that each subscription is processed as a separate transaction and so the subscribers pay the credit card processing fee instead of the creators. this means that a $1 subscription will now cost you $1.37 and Chapo will now cost you $5.50.

they are claiming that this is all about making the platform better for creators and has nothing to do with the $60m funding round they just secured from investors. predictably, this has a ton of people unsubscribing and some of the big creators looking for alternative platforms.

Joementum posted:

It's nuts. They have basically no overhead now and could have literally just leaned back and collected millions on 5% of all subscriptions.

But capital demands growth.

Joementum posted:

Patreon just finished giving a whole bunch of their company away to private investors in exchange for $60m so they can "grow" into..... something? It's not clear why they needed the additional investment.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

A lot of people saw this business model and decided to pay the company a lot of money to get in on sharing the profits of said company. These people (apparently mostly paypal) now want their investments to pay off more than they previously did, so they have to take a few risks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So in other words - overvaluation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

steinrokkan posted:

So in other words - overvaluation.

I certainly wouldn’t have bought in at that price. That’s not the stage I operate in, mind.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Platystemon posted:

This got me curious about the world’s highest low point.

Lesotho holds the record of 1400 m

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elevation_extremes_by_country

And that led me to lowest high point: Maldives is the winner with 2m at Mount Villingili. Really? "Mount?" I've made piles of dirt higher than that. Compensating much?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

MrUnderbridge posted:

And that led me to lowest high point: Maldives is the winner with 2m at Mount Villingili. Really? "Mount?" I've made piles of dirt higher than that. Compensating much?
Mound Villingili, barely. But don't worry, it won't be around much longer.

Edit: oh come on, it's a golf course? That doesn't count.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They need to make a minigolf course with a 3m tall Mount Everest model

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Internet services like Patreon never seem to realise that they are often instantly replaceable. Once they're out of fashion, legacy users will keep using it as long as they get money, but they'll move on immediately to a service that does things the old way and stop advertising Patreon.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villingili_(Seenu_Atoll) posted:

The island is also notable for having the highest natural elevation in the Maldives, Mount Villingili. It stands at a modest 5.1 metres (17 ft) and is located at tee number eight on Villingili’s Golf Course – the only golf course in the Maldives. Despite its humble height, it dwarfs over the previously known highest point on Addu Atoll that stands at only 2.4 metres (7 ft 10 in) above sea level.[1]

:allears:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Global warming is gonna gently caress that place up fast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

KillHour posted:

Global warming is gonna gently caress that place up fast.

They're aware.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

This outrages me more than any other political graph.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Stex T posted:

john and paul are for filthy casuls

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Old People Really Hate George Harrison

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Panty Saluter posted:

john and paul are for filthy casuls

They were all EQUALLY FAB

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stex T posted:

Eh it makes sense though. John was always the lefty & Paul was a centrist.

You've got olds & weirdos preferring Paul, and you've got youngs & ideologically correct children preferring John.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Where does George fall on the political spectrum?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

Which Georgia?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is just something you could find in a scientific research paper, I don't see what's awful or funny about it. With some context it would be perfectly understandable.

Except if you're laughing at the drawing of the fat mouse, but meh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RandomPauI posted:

|_________________| UPSET
                            ^
                      George

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is just something you could find in a scientific research paper, I don't see what's awful or funny about it. With some context it would be perfectly understandable.

Nothing wrong with the fat mouse, and the rest of the paper is fine. They just put too much data into one graphic, used inconsistent formatting, and it's a terrible way to summarize the data. Seemed awful to me, but I'm also drunk.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Carbon dioxide posted:

i laughed at the drawing of the fat mouse

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Beatle graph mostly makes sense, but it really confused me at first because I thought the vertical positions of the Beatle heads corresponded to the different sets of bars.

Tree Goat posted:

i laughed at the drawing of the fat mouse

"WAT"

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

RandomPauI posted:

I know nobody cares but as spiritual as he was the one issue he was deeply passionate about is not paying taxes. His song Tax Man was literally just about how much he hates taxes, John added in all that stuff about "if you get too cold i'll tax the heat" etc. He hated them with his life.

Now to be fair to George, at the time he was living in an income bracket where 95%(!) of his income was being taxed past a certain level.

While he was dying of cancer in the hospital, the one thing he would make the effort to do was making calls to make sure all of his wealth was moved to the Cayman Islands so the british government didn't get a single penny.

Otherwise, great guy!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

john and paul also beat their wives and john beat his kids

clearly the only good beatle is the one true ringo

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Someone make a authoratian/libertarian/left/right graph already!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Left Authoritarian: John
Right Authoritarian: Paul
Left Libertarian: George
Right Libertarian:

Oh my god Ringo

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

frankenfreak posted:

Someone make a authoratian/libertarian/left/right graph already!

u got it chief

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

goose willis posted:

Left Authoritarian: John
Right Authoritarian: Paul
Left Libertarian: George
Right Libertarian:

Oh my god Ringo