Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Yep, I think that is what will happen is Quentin Tarantino will produce a script filled with his most easily parodied known tics and pump it into Star Trek like exactly what you'd expect from a "Quentin Tarantino Presents: Star Trek" sketch on Robot Chicken. Because he's a coke sniffing dummy, obviously.
Fixed. Also this but unironically. if anything his last X consecutive films only confirm this for me. I forgive you for (presumably) not seeing hateful eight tho. There's not a whole lot in the dudes filmography that says he can tastefully handle anything let alone the manson murders.
I just don't mind the feelings of Trekkies being harmed compared to say, the Tate family

Tarantino knows what he likes and we know what he likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beachcomber posted:

I don't remember the 'n' word in ds9 and I just watched it again this summer.

I'm pretty sure it came up in the Benny Russel episode at least?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure it came up in the Benny Russel episode at least?

You are correct. Jake says it.

I am without honor. :gowron:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Fixed. Also this but unironically. if anything his last X consecutive films only confirm this for me. I forgive you for (presumably) not seeing hateful eight tho. There's not a whole lot in the dudes filmography that says he can tastefully handle anything let alone the manson murders.
I just don't mind the feelings of Trekkies being harmed compared to say, the Tate family

Hateful Eight was great................ mate

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Taste is overrated. Yr making movies about racists and murderers why the gently caress do you want it to be tasteful? What does a tasteful Manson family movie even look like? Probably real dumb

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
John Waters Manson Family

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Ron Howard

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

"We're starting a race war"
they didn't

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I can see a Manson film as brutally dark with possibly black comedy elements as an exploration of how hosed up people can get and how sociopathic predators can prey on and influence people, though I dunno if there'd be much for Tarantino's preferred style to work with.

I have no idea how he'd do a Star Trek movie and totally want to see it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Yep, I think that is what will happen is Quentin Tarantino will produce a script filled with his most easily parodied known tics and pump it into Star Trek like exactly what you'd expect from a "Quentin Tarantino Presents: Star Trek" sketch on Robot Chicken. Because he's a gas huffing dummy, obviously.

Going by his last few films it will be 3+ hours long, set on a snow planet, and 60% of the dialogue will be in Vulcan and 35% in Klingon.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

got any sevens posted:

John Waters Manson Family

Lady Divine: What about you, Mr. Angel? What about those house-robbings and how about Sharon Tate! How about that!

Mr. David: I told you to never bring that up again. I cannot remember it and I will not.

Lady Divine: Had a real ball that night, didn't you?

Mr. David: STOP IT!

Lady Divine: If I didn't know any better I'd swear you were having an orgy!

Mr. David: Well, you were there, too!

Lady Divine: Ah, but I didn't do what YOU did - P-I-G! You're going to jail. If I go to jail, it'll be for other things, and if I go to jail, I just might start remembering. I just might crack that Tate case for them - what have I got to lose!

Multiple Maniacs (1970)
Less than a year after the murders.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oh my nothing about that Jurassic World trailer makes me want to see that movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Beachcomber posted:

Watched the Jurassic World trailer. I like the idea that there might not be an antagonist, just a disaster.

I think that was Carnotaurus, it's a shame they already blew their chameleon dinosaur wad last movie. There's no evidence in real life, but that was Carnotaurus' thing in the Lost World book. And I think they were an arcade game boss.

I like dinosaurs and would like this movie to be good.

Yeah, I'm going to see it because I'm dumb

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Why did they use the Black Mirror song in the trailer?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Beachcomber posted:

I don't remember the 'n' word in ds9 and I just watched it again this summer.

Jake says it in the first episode where the prophets talk to Sisko via him becoming a pulp sci-fi writer in the 30s

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just to offset some of the negativity; the early part of the trailer where they're talking up the rescue op and treating the dinos as a doomed species was interesting. It's just when they start doing the generic DUNDUNDUN action-survival while clumsily overlaying the theme that things fall apart.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Alita trailer drops tomorrow. Pls look good :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUOV6JpzgI

Sorry to say, Robert Rodriguez directed it.

Good god do I want it to be good despite that unavoidable fact.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Tarantino has brains and will produce the best motherfucking Star Trek movie we have seen. Hopefully a solid to great Sci fi movie but legit best Star Trek.

I can’t wait.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Jurassic World 2 looks so, so boring

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Yep, I think that is what will happen is Quentin Tarantino will produce a script filled with his most easily parodied known tics and pump it into Star Trek like exactly what you'd expect from a "Quentin Tarantino Presents: Star Trek" sketch on Robot Chicken. Because he's a gas huffing dummy, obviously.

I'm expecting playing with narrative and structure, upending of expectations, inconsequential dialogue leading to unimaginably jarring violent moments, and great music.

So I'm loving psyched here. But Tarantino has more ideas than an idea factory, lol. Color me skeptical this happens.

E:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

uh Hateful 8 is great? It had the least amount of his supposed "tics" outside of Inglorious Bastards

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

Going by his last few films it will be 3+ hours long, set on a snow planet, and 60% of the dialogue will be in Vulcan and 35% in Klingon.

No complaints from me.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

RugClockVexx posted:

Is Tarantino a fan of Trek? Or did he just have a really fantastic foot-lickin'-good idea regarding Trek one day?

Kinda far back but this was really funny

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"Are we sure them spacers even have souls?"

*Alien with the skin composition of a sole stares at him intensely*

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

Sorry to say, Robert Rodriguez directed it.

Good god do I want it to be good despite that unavoidable fact.

Same, Cameron was talking about doing Battle Angel even when the comic was still going in the early 90s. There's actually a few homages to specific panels from it in his Dark Angel TV series.

I don't know if anyone here has read the comic but holy poo poo I loved that stuff, it holds up really well too.

In the early 00s Cameron was talking about it being PG-13 and everyone having blue robot fluid instead of blood, so I was wary about it since then. Half the appeal of the action in it is that it has Terminator 1/2 cyborgs getting bloodily ripped apart and various body horror moments of like, the Robocop lung scene would be baseline. Elysium drew comparisons to Battle Angel early on because of some similarities in the setting, but it was also similar for stuff like Sharlto Copely's entire head getting caved in and then getting regenerated graphically like it's no big.

But man I wish there was a way to give the 1984 to 1994 era James Cameron a 2017 budget and effects technology.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Same, Cameron was talking about doing Battle Angel even when the comic was still going in the early 90s. There's actually a few homages to specific panels from it in his Dark Angel TV series.

I don't know if anyone here has read the comic but holy poo poo I loved that stuff, it holds up really well too.

In the early 00s Cameron was talking about it being PG-13 and everyone having blue robot fluid instead of blood, so I was wary about it since then. Half the appeal of the action in it is that it has Terminator 1/2 cyborgs getting bloodily ripped apart and various body horror moments of like, the Robocop lung scene would be baseline. Elysium drew comparisons to Battle Angel early on because of some similarities in the setting, but it was also similar for stuff like Sharlto Copely's entire head getting caved in and then getting regenerated graphically like it's no big.

I want Blomkamp to do an anime adaptation. I was watching Chappie and thinking he's do an excellent Appleseed adaptation. I was even thinking Ninja and Yolandi could be those two cyborg mercenaries with the claymores that get torn apart by Briareos (whose played by The Rock with prosthetics and CGI).

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Biggest issue with Tarantino doing Trek is there just isn't enough good old foreign scifi movies for him to steal from except maybe The Green Slime and Starcrash. Though i fully expect him to steal the boots scenes from Star Trek 6.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

We Know Catheters posted:

Why did they use the Black Mirror song in the trailer?

Because irony is dead.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hateful Eight is fine but it was still pretty Tarantino-y. It ain't exactly his After Hours or Kundun or Age of Innocence. He's not the most flexible filmmaker
With the Manson stuff it's not so much about "taste" as it is having the filmmaker most likely to make it so stylized that the murderers are glorified in some way. Dude isn't Paul Greengrass.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 8, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Rumor is it's all about resolving the Abrams-verse timeline with the OG timeline and the ethical implications of people existing in multiple universes, based on some comments he made on a podcast a few years back.

That was the original story and script that Bob Orci and his bobos wrote for what eventually became Beyond -- a group of renegade Vulcans found some leftover red matter and were going to detonate it to restore the Prime timeline. The script was apparently so terrible that it got everyone flat-out fired.

All we know about Abrams' original pitch for Star Trek 4 was that it would bring back Chris Hemsworth as George Kirk.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Apparently Cameron is hard at work on Avatars 2-4 training his child actors to be able to hold their breath for 2-3 minutes at a time so they can film ridiculous underwater poo poo. This will surely end well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And so Cameron’s mad science to create a race of fish men continues apace

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm choosing to believe the Jurassic World 2 trailer is bad because they accidentally made a good movie. For example: Dr. Ian Malcolm seems to have converted to Messianic Evangelical Christianity on his deathbed for some reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm choosing to believe the Jurassic World 2 trailer is bad because they accidentally made a good movie. For example: Dr. Ian Malcolm seems to have converted to Messianic Evangelical Christianity on his deathbed for some reason.

Yeah, I want to have faith in Bayona, but ... Trevorrow still wrote the drat thing.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I really hope they have a scene transition like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yNObSfUeM0

First time watching it as a kid I wondered why the lady was screaming at Jeff Goldblum

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hateful Eight is fine but it was still pretty Tarantino-y. It ain't exactly his After Hours or Kundun or Age of Innocence. He's not the most flexible filmmaker
With the Manson stuff it's not so much about "taste" as it is having the filmmaker most likely to make it so stylized that the murderers are glorified in some way. Dude isn't Paul Greengrass.

I think Tarantino has stated that the film isn't explicitly about the Manson murders but characters living in LA contemporary to the murders.

I think Django unchained handled violence pretty well. All the violence directed at the oppressors was really cool and stylised but all violence directed at slaves was horrific and shot in a much rawer way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm actually liking the presumably-unintentional subtext that Jurassic World was garbage, and they're scrounging through it for good ideas.

I also like that this metaphorical trash fire is a straight up Sharknado (Dinosolcano!) mockbuster version of... Matt Reeves' Planet Of The Apes prequels???

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

welp the battle angel alita trailer is out and it loving sucks, almost entirely due to the strangest, weirdest, and flat out hosed up choice for a headlining character in a blockbuster movie I've ever seen.

e: changed the plural on changes to singular, b/c really its only one, very very noticeable thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm actually liking the presumably-unintentional subtext that Jurassic World was garbage, and they're scrounging through it for good ideas.

I also like that this metaphorical trash fire is a straight up Sharknado (Dinosolcano!) mockbuster version of... Matt Reeves' Planet Of The Apes prequels???

We're Back! A Dinosaurs Story.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
A Talking Dinosaur!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shageletic posted:

welp the battle angel alita trailer is out and it loving sucks, almost entirely due to the strangest, weirdest, and flat out hosed up choice for a headlining character in a blockbuster movie I've ever seen.

e: changed the plural on changes to singular, b/c really its only one, very very noticeable thing.

Is it the ridiculous eyes or something else? I know absolutely nothing about the source material but the trailer looked inoffensively generic and dull.

• Locked thread