Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

HardKase posted:

Hey guys, how do i fix my potato aim? I am a terrible shot. I have lowered my sensitivity. Is it just a case of practice? I need to try and shoot more dudes?

Hop on aimmap in CSGO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

HardKase posted:

Hey guys, how do i fix my potato aim? I am a terrible shot. I have lowered my sensitivity. Is it just a case of practice? I need to try and shoot more dudes?

Lower it more! Make sure you don't have mouse acceleration on (enhanced pointer precision in windows).
Shooting more dudes will for sure help in the long run. However, if I try and focus on improving a specific part of my aiming/gameplay each game, e.g. don't keep holding mouse1 if the spray isn't on point, I tend to improve faster.
A few things that might help you shoot some dudes.

- Crosshair position. Try to pre-aim where you think/know a dude is. This way you won't have to move your mouse so much when it's time to shoot. Get the crosshair up before it's time to shoot.
- If you don't get a good engagement (crosshair right on the dude when you peek), disengage and try again if possible (this means you have to be in a position where this is possible, which is a tip in it self).
- You don't have to commit to all fights. If you think you can disengage and fall back to a better position that can be a good option.
- Don't keep holding M1 if you hosed up the spray. Let go and try again, even mid fight.
- At long distances don't stand still too long if they are shooting back. Especially if they have a bolt action sniper. One shot->move a tiny bit/move behind cover->one shot. If you get a good engagement and can "out dps" him so to speak, by all means go for it though.

Don't end up playing too passive though and at some point you have to commit to a fight if you want to win it.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 8, 2017

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

fletcher posted:

Hop on aimmap in CSGO

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Lower it more! Make sure you don't have mouse acceleration on (enhanced pointer precision in windows).
Shooting more dudes will for sure help in the long run. However, if I try and focus on improving a specific part of my aiming/gameplay each game, e.g. don't keep holding mouse1 if the spray isn't on point, I tend to improve faster.
A few things that might help you shoot some dudes.

- Crosshair position. Try to pre-aim where you think/know a dude is. This way you won't have to move your mouse so much when it's time to shoot. Get the crosshair up before it's time to shoot.
- If you don't get a good engagement (crosshair right on the dude when you peek), disengage and try again if possible (this means you have to be in a position where this is possible, which is a tip in it self).
- You don't have to commit to all fights. If you think you can disengage and fall back to a better position that can be a good option.
- Don't keep holding M1 if you hosed up the spray. Let go and try again, even mid fight.
- At long distances don't stand still too long if they are shooting back. Especially if they have a bolt action sniper. One shot->move a tiny bit/move behind cover->one shot.

Thanks guys. I did have mouse acceleration on, its labelled "Enhance pointer precision in Win10" I'll install CSGO and practice on some aimmap.

I'll keep working on it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

HardKase posted:

I'll install CSGO and practice on some aimmap.

You could certainly do this but don't expect any benefits from cs specific aim practice to carry over to pubg

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bohemian Nights posted:

You could certainly do this but don't expect any benefits from cs specific aim practice to carry over to pubg

If someone is a total potato, they will definitely see benefits from improving their general "drag crosshair over target" skills, and they can work on that a lot faster in ... practically any game that isn't pubg.

Once they've got a handle on the basics of aiming then yeah, there's the pubg-specific stuff that they can only learn in-game, but if they're still working on the fundamentals then they're better off doing it someplace that they can get reps in a bit quicker.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The new UI is like way better than the previous one, holy poo poo

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Jabor posted:

If someone is a total potato, they will definitely see benefits from improving their general "drag crosshair over target" skills, and they can work on that a lot faster in ... practically any game that isn't pubg.

I guess if this is babbys first fps.

anyway these are two of the more popular and general use aim maps for cs

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213240871&searchtext=training_aim_csgo

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243702660

e: remember to listen to swedish power metal to get the most out of practice

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 8, 2017

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
The desert map looks pretty cool so far, tho I've only played a couple quick drops in the big city. Seems like there's a lot of open spaces even in the crowded city, wide open plaza's and such. The sawed off shotgun is going to be a useful pistol slot weapon, tho I just took 4 shots at a guy at close range with it and missed every one while he killed me with an S12K, so at least my terrible aim has crossed over to the new game build

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The B_36 posted:

The desert map looks pretty cool so far, tho I've only played a couple quick drops in the big city. Seems like there's a lot of open spaces even in the crowded city, wide open plaza's and such. The sawed off shotgun is going to be a useful pistol slot weapon, tho I just took 4 shots at a guy at close range with it and missed every one while he killed me with an S12K, so at least my terrible aim has crossed over to the new game build

https://streamable.com/bziun

Sawn off is now the indoor clearing gun.

The Rhino reloads via moonclips incidentally and the Winchester 94's sights are awful.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

HardKase posted:

Do people recommend lowering sensitivity from the default?
I don't know if it's my mouse or something about my having trained extensively at Quake II with super-high sensitivity in my youth, but I found the default sens to be waaaay too low. If I can't make a 180 without lifting the mouse, it's too low.

Of course, this all changes based on your mouse's DPI, the size of your mouse pad, etc.

My point is, your settings are not necessarily to blame since the default is plenty low already. You'll have to do target practice on a particular sensitivity and get good. I recommend playing CS:GO in Arms Race mode where you get to shoot a lot, aim maps are boring. Then make sure your sens in PUBG feels roughtly equivalent to whatever works in CS.

Regarding whether skills transfer over from CS:GO to PUBG, I would say the following, at least, do:
- Tactical placement / cover, using environment to your advantage
- Using audio queues (footsteps, reload sounds etc an important instinct even though the individual sounds are different)
- Masking your own sound (CS shift-walking vs PUBG crouching while ADS)
- Getting headshots at moving targets with sniper rifles (same except at long distances, which don't exist in CS:GO)
- Spray control (each gun behaves differently in both games, but the reflex needs to be ingrained, to aim for the torso/head and drag down while shooting)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 8, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Do people recommend lowering sensitivity from the default?
I don't know if it's my mouse or something about my having trained extensively at Quake II with super-high sensitivity in my youth, but I found the default sens to be waaaay too low. If I can't make a 180 without lifting the mouse, it's too low.

Of course, this all changes based on your mouse's DPI, the size of your mouse pad, etc.

My point is, your settings are not necessarily to blame since the default is plenty low already. You'll have to do target practice on a particular sensitivity and get good. I recommend playing CS:GO in Arms Race mode where you get to shoot a lot, aim maps are boring. Then make sure your sens in PUBG feels roughtly equivalent to whatever works in CS.

Your sensitivity is already way lower than what the gen pub is using. I agree that being able to do a 180 without lifting the mouse is about right. However, most people would probably be able to do several spins without lifting, hence people recommending lowering your sensitivity.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Your sensitivity is already way lower than what the gen pub is using. I agree that being able to do a 180 without lifting the mouse is about right. However, most people would probably be able to do several spins without lifting, hence people recommending lowering your sensitivity.

I'm not sure what you're saying. On my PC, the default mouse sensitivity in PUBG when I installed it was at 50% which was so low I had to raise it to around 80% in order to be able to play. Is my PC weird?

(If your assumption is that most noobs will raise it to 100%, so you advise everyone to lower it, then I see but then don't say "always lower it", be more specific like "never go above 75%" or something.)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The new UI looks great but the player icon on the map being grey on a grey map is dumb as gently caress.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying. On my PC, the default mouse sensitivity in PUBG when I installed it was at 50% which was so low I had to raise it to around 80% in order to be able to play. Is my PC weird?

(If your assumption is that most noobs will raise it to 100%, so you advise everyone to lower it, then I see but then don't say "always lower it", be more specific like "never go above 75%" or something.)

What I'm saying is that your mouse seem to be 400 dpi default, while most people probably have it at 1600 or higher or the windows sens turned up, making the 50% in game a way higher sens that yours.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 8, 2017

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

How does one go about getting teamers banned?
https://streamable.com/ksd0y

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Lower your sens

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

rarbatrol posted:

This is the curse of the groza.

The same thing happens to me everytime I get the Groza: I don’t see people for 5+ minutes before I get shot out of nowhere.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Well, it wasn't nowhere.
I knew the guy was in the compound, just nor where in the compound he was. I just went on the wrong side of the building, should've gone on the other side, even if i took a bit of damage from the blue. I'd have probably seen him come out and been able to run up on him. It wasn't that far to the circle.

It's good that i can analyze my mistakes now (i have game highlights saving my deaths and kills), but actually executing better plans can be difficult in the heat of the moment.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Bohemian Nights posted:

Shooting skills transfer to all games

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Pretty sweet change on the test build:

quote:

Added the ability to bandage and boost while in a vehicle (only for the passengers)
This action can be canceled by a sudden speed change, an impact or a vehicle flip

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Actually bought This as a xmas present to my buddy im playing pubg with :)

We really suck and this is the closest we'll ever get.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Affi posted:

Actually bought This as a xmas present to my buddy im playing pubg with :)

We really suck and this is the closest we'll ever get.

that's a great idea, fellow lovely player!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

What's the use case for the Winchester? It's barely faster to rack than the kar, you can't ads while racking, and it can't take any attachments at all. I can't think of a reason to keep it over any other long gun, except the vss obviously

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Hooplah posted:

What's the use case for the Winchester? It's barely faster to rack than the kar, you can't ads while racking, and it can't take any attachments at all. I can't think of a reason to keep it over any other long gun, except the vss obviously

Its a goddamn laser.
https://clips.twitch.tv/LuckyEvilMeerkat4Head

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Pixel hunting heads at 100 yds with ironsights?

:chloe:

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
New maps looks to be a crazy improvement when it comes to optimization.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

underage at the vape shop posted:

Shooting skills transfer to all games

Is there still a player base for CoD4? That’s the last FOS aside from Max Payne 3 I was good at, and that was when I still used a really high sensitivity.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
New map seems really cool. By the graveyard, there's a courtyard that I'm pretty sure is modeled after the location from the final shootout in Way of the Gun.

Fake Edit: I'm watching the replay from Pansy's stream and she just came across a lucha arena. :aaa:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
ahhaha the new map is garbage, it's larger and more spread out but the loot is ultra trash and all the buildings have twice as many pointless rooms. Even in the military base there's basically one building with decent loot and if you drop in the city good luck even finding a rifle before getting popped in the head from 1km out because everything is so absurdly open

good luck finding a vehicle

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Bhodi posted:

ahhaha the new map is garbage, it's larger and more spread out but the loot is ultra trash and all the buildings have twice as many pointless rooms. Even in the military base there's basically one building with decent loot and if you drop in the city good luck even finding a rifle before getting popped in the head from 1km out because everything is so absurdly open

good luck finding a vehicle

I have found a vehicle every round so far. Loot is very spread out.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Loot is super spread out, multiple entire houses near each other can be empty I've noticed so far. Map is still cool as heck though, wish I could go explore on an empty server with no blue circle. Wish the early game rubber banding/lag was somewhat better but oh well.

fake edit: dear jesus the game just dumped my entire server at one place near the start of the flight path

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Everything is too spread out. The buildings are super cramped inside but have a million turns and doors. Looting is a straight up chore now. The mid game is going to be even worse now.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I love that the lesson they took away from the first map was “what if we put MORE small rooms with doors into this!”

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I can't admit this to my work friends, but i hate the new map.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 8, 2017

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I never noticed that the kill cam had a mini map with everyone's location on it

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

sticksy posted:

I love that the lesson they took away from the first map was “what if we put MORE small rooms with doors into this!”

People hate that every game ends up with only tree cover, so let's just lower the number of trees.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Went on the test server to see if this broke rear end poop game runs better and I'm happy to report it runs WAY the gently caress better than live ever has. No memory leaks, no initial melty buildings (though I didn't play for an extended period of time to see if that's an issue) and the desert map looks all around much prettier than the other map. Though like. Not much. The game being able to run well and with my settings maxed is a plus though. The little direction indicator on the minimap is a nice touch specifically for the plane section. Overall graphics quality improvements aside though, the game is still pretty ugly

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I haven't tried it yet but I'm really confused as to why they thought making the map like, 50% bigger would be a good idea. It's a real shame they didn't try 4km x 4km or at least 6km x 6km.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've only played three games so far but I haven't been having any trouble with loot so far. Guessing the other posters who were struggling before have just been unlucky? I dunno

I'm liking this so far, though. It's definitely feeling like an actual polished finished product now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is vaulting any less slow and clunky?

• Locked thread