Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ccs posted:

In a rare bit of positive China stuff, I've been using wechat's video chat lately to talk to my girlfriend. Google's video chat was always lagging and degrading to terrible resolution, but wechat has been much clearer and non-laggy.

This is for video chatting between cities in Canada. Not sure why google chat is being so bad for that.
Google chat, and Line which is way worse, try to use too high of a quality and then scale way too far down and then try way too high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Not where I thought it was going

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

What the hell? I can't make heads or tails of what that weird, melted....structure is? Did the tire puncture some kind of pressure line, or just hit it at the right angle to launch it 90 degrees?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
It's a tree.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

McKilligan posted:

What the hell? I can't make heads or tails of what that weird, melted....structure is? Did the tire puncture some kind of pressure line, or just hit it at the right angle to launch it 90 degrees?

chinar is the only country with trees, do you know?

e;fb

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Hahah Jesus Christ, this is the pigeon picture all over again.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
My friend who got engaged to a chinese study abroad girl about a month ago got married to her last week by a judge.

I guess her dad isn't super keen on all this. My friend is half mexican half indian so he is 'black.'

Maybe I won't have to go to China for their wedding after all.

ETA at the courthouse wedding one of her chinese friends called the judge "your majesty."

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 8, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Switzerland posted:

It's a tree.

~Mysterious creation of the East~

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How did the car roll from that???

Khorne
May 1, 2002

underage at the vape shop posted:

How did the car roll from that???
Physics. The tree's root/trunk/whatever is way past the mid point of those low tires. Most SUVs are flip prone trash vehicles.

I'll admit that it looks real weird and out of place, but you generally don't hit objects with that geometry. Nevermind hitting them while driving at your normal speed and still giving it the gas.

Here check this out early on, the rear tire is in the air:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Khorne posted:

Physics. The tree's root/trunk/whatever is way past the mid point of those low tires. Most SUVs are flip prone trash vehicles.

but like, its going pretty slow and its a pretty small ramp, how can its center of gravity be that high??

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mainlanders are magical and any car they get into is able to flip at the slightest touch.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kharnifex posted:

Hahah Jesus Christ, this is the pigeon picture all over again.

What pigeon picture?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

underage at the vape shop posted:

but like, its going pretty slow and its a pretty small ramp, how can its center of gravity be that high??

it's pretty much like those crazy rich saudi kids, or pro stunt drivers, that use a little ramp to do this intentionally. it's a combination of ramp and turning the wheels at the right time.

this person is a natural.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This is exactly the kind of saying that I would imagine Mainlanders to think up. So cute!

The best part of adding a random Chinese person to the show is that when given the chance she magically make a wool traditionur Chinese clothing that were probably not worn in the year 900.

The worst part of this character was the 4 minute finger banging scene. It was the most awkward scene I have seen in a TV show. It was so bad.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Please, the preferred term is "muzzie".
Umm, excuse me, but that is so racist. Don't you know Islam is a race? There are only brown and black Islams. Any pink, red, yellow, or gray Islams are impossible.

BioTech posted:

Wasn't there also a Viking king who almost converted to Christianity, but upon hearing his ancestors would be in Valhalla and he would not meet them in heaven he decided not to.
In Vikings TV show, the reverse happens. Actually, that scene where Ragnar is burying Athelstan and lamenting over it was really cool and was some sweet character development. Season 4 suddenly changes in editing and writing, and it gets pretty lovely. I think it had moved to a new TV channel. No more titties, too. I am almost done with it and will see how the new season 5 holds up. The show is really slow and I am starting to feel it's like a soap opera for dudes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hakimashou posted:

I guess her dad isn't super keen on all this. My friend is half mexican half indian so he is 'black.'

He sounds hot af, I hope they have a good life together.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

peanut posted:

He sounds hot af

He ain't a goon, so it's plausible.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

hakimashou posted:

ETA at the courthouse wedding one of her chinese friends called the judge "your majesty."

Awww :3: I kind of love that.

peanut posted:

He sounds hot af

:same:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

peanut posted:

He sounds hot af, I hope they have a good life together.

She seems like a nice gal and drinks ice water so there's hope.

I mean the worst case scenario is that he never has to deal with his Chinese inlaws.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
One of the idiot antenna and tower climber selfie kids finally died. I was really shocked that it was a Chinese and not one of the Russians.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Bajaj posted:

The worst part of this character was the 4 minute finger banging scene. It was the most awkward scene I have seen in a TV show. It was so bad.

Did it give you peanut scented flashbacks?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Thx for reminding us about that.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
My work here is done.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Vikings' storyline is fictional, but it borrows a lot from the book 'The Long Ships'. There's a pretty similar character arc early on about the main character meeting a priest/Christian religious character and their friendship. In the book, the main characters travel pretty far south into Andalusia, Spain and briefly become Muslim out of necessity and bitch constantly about not being able to drink.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Did it give you peanut scented flashbacks?

awful betamax highlights every use of "peanut" for me

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just saw an awkward as gently caress looking Farang of indeterminate race walking around a BTS station with a skateboard. Was that a Bajaj sighting?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

robotsinmyhead posted:

Vikings' storyline is fictional, but it borrows a lot from the book 'The Long Ships'. There's a pretty similar character arc early on about the main character meeting a priest/Christian religious character and their friendship. In the book, the main characters travel pretty far south into Andalusia, Spain and briefly become Muslim out of necessity and bitch constantly about not being able to drink.

don't they also steal a huge bell? that book was fun

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't watched all of Vikings but the part I did is loosely based on actual history. Most of the named characters were real people and some of the events happened, though the timeline's all messed up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM_k5JXJgJ0

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine is going to be in China for a couple months for work and she wants to use WeChat to communicate. How sketchy is the iPhone app? I got about halfway through installing and it seems to want way more permissions I'm comfortable giving some random chat app.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Assume any conversations of yours on the app are being monitored by the Chinese government*, but if you download it from the Apple Store, especially outside of China, you should be okay in general. Probably. WeChat can do a lot more than a standard chat app, which may be part of the reason it asks for so many permissions.

* probably not literally, but they definitely have the capability to do so

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 8, 2017

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

big time bisexual posted:

a cool futuristic automated parking garage opened up in nanjing a few months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgIzd4CQUcA&t=34s

and then this happened

https://i.imgur.com/jvdSi70.mp4

update: a woman wandered into the inner storage area and it didn't go so well

https://video.pearvideo.com/mp4/short/20171207/cont-1217683-11227959-hd.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
How can a person be so loving stupid?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
David Attenborough's voice: "Human evolution in a postmodern environment: Natural selection at work. Nature always finds a way."

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

How can a person be so loving stupid?

Can't admit I don't know where I'm going. Must face keep at all costs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I would ask why there's not a safety system which prevents the elevator from closing if it detects a person inside, but I already know the answer.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Known Lecher posted:

Assume any conversations of yours on the app are being monitored by the Chinese government*, but if you download it from the Apple Store, especially outside of China, you should be okay in general. Probably. WeChat can do a lot more than a standard chat app, which may be part of the reason it asks for so many permissions.

* probably not literally, but they definitely have the capability to do so

Ok, thanks! She is constantly dumping phones/numbers so this might be the best way for us to chat.

EDIT: Ok, now it wants me to get some current wechat user to scan a qr code to validate my account? This is some loving nonsense.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 8, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

big time bisexual posted:

update: a woman wandered into the inner storage area and it didn't go so well

https://video.pearvideo.com/mp4/short/20171207/cont-1217683-11227959-hd.mp4

this feels like peak china to me. she just HAS TO look down at her phone the second she thinks she's in the clear

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just saw an awkward as gently caress looking Farang of indeterminate race walking around a BTS station with a skateboard. Was that a Bajaj sighting?

did he smell like dairy products?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ccs posted:

In a rare bit of positive China stuff, I've been using wechat's video chat lately to talk to my girlfriend. Google's video chat was always lagging and degrading to terrible resolution, but wechat has been much clearer and non-laggy.

This is for video chatting between cities in Canada. Not sure why google chat is being so bad for that.

Is it a Google service the quality of which is not based primarily on the quality of its search features?

Then it is probably mediocre at best.

Google has only ever been the best at one thing.

• Locked thread