Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Also my wife last night pointed out that the DVLA MOT checker went from good to fantastic recently, just put the registration in and get the whole digital history including advisories. Check it out if you weren't aware.
They did briefly have the address of the garage that did it on there too, but that lasted about a month or so, and now just says "unavailable until further notice". I suspect concerns over people trying to find car locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

Went car shopping last night. Car 1 sold before we got there, pity.
Car 2, 10 yr old corolla:rusty. That doesn't happen, what did they do to it?
Car 3, 15yr old accord. Nothing wrong, short listed
Car 4: CRV hybrid, bait and switch on the price, listed at £2800, price on the window £5500. Bunch of knobs.

Got real dark real quick, abandoned expedition.

Tonight looking at a c-max if I can get to it before it sells, rusts or the price doubles.

Used car shopping sucks, even for beaters.

I would not buy a 15 year old car to use as your wifes daily unless it was low mileage and in perfect nick and had been owned and cared for by a close friend or relative. Even then you will still have to work on it.

You can still get newer stuff for not much money.

My 10 year old Aygo sold for £700..

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Well, it kind of is a "woman" thing, there's a good reason the stereotype exists, it's more that it's learned behaviour rather than anything inherent to their gender, and luckily most are mature enough not to engage in such silliness. But if someone's going to try the "if you don't know what's wrong, I'm not going to tell you" routine, yeah, I can't be doing with that.

It may just be she deals better with some stuff by closing off and ruminating on it a bit alone, but Cat would know whether that's the case or not if he's known her a while.

If she is the type to sulk about it and try to use silence to punish you, well, if you're in the wrong, apologise, and leave her to sort herself out. If you're not in the wrong, jump straight to leaving her to sort herself out.

From the previous discussion about incel types and your reaction, Cat, I think maybe it's partly an age thing. You're not that much older than me, really, but I think you're old enough that you were brought up with a slightly more rose tinted view of interacting with women, and while you're good at treating them equally and fairly when things are the right side up, perhaps it's left a gap in being able to see them as being nasty and manipulative when that's what's happening. Treating women as equals also means accepting some of them can be cunts and acting accordingly.

There's a certain amount of truth in the joke that when men say they don't understand women, they forget that women understand women, and they often want nothing to do with each other.

I can't see you disappearing into some kind of misogynistic hole and ranting about "the females", but really, if you're not at fault - or you are, and aren't being allowed to apologise out of spite - there's nothing wrong with pushing that onto her, and just going and getting on with something that makes you happy.

Also, just talk about it. We (as a society) are still pretty poo poo at helping guys unpack this kind of thing and chew it over, but it's better than it was.

And if your ex is talking to you, yeah, talk to her about it, because:

The other thing to consider is the recent relationship that ended also caused a lot of mental issues for me - grtting out while it goddamn hurts is the best thing I could have done. You have to use that as a frame of reference for anything I say - I really am in in one hell of a mess emotionally.

Funny you should comment about my attitude to women being very much affected by my age - thats the exact same thing I said opening up on a much larger rant about #metoo and Incels where I jsut laid that out - my formulative years were before the wider feminism movement really took off and a lot of my core values in regard to women were from my father and I have an undeniably old fashioned view about how to treat women correctly - which to be honest when i laid it out is one I am highly comfortable with - poo poo like you do NOT raise your hand to a woman, No loving drat well means NO, you respect her boundaries and she does not owe you a goddamn thing in return, you talk to them like they are human etc. Hell, even raising my voice to a woman for ANY reason is a poo poo thing to do in my view - the whole MRA and Incel thing truly bothers the gently caress out of me in more ways that I have cared to type. I also admit that even while I've tended to have long term relationships I'm pretty much not someone that understands women well. Even so, the only long term realtionship that I havent maintained as friends afterwards I purposly burned because she claimed voting Trump was a Christian thing to do .... annnnnd you can imagine my reaction to THAT annnnd now you know one of the few times I raised my voice to a woman.

Talking to the ex-wife was a drat good thing to do. I think we both have a lot of relationship battlescars since the seperation and divorce so she understands well exactly what i'm going through right now. Her opinion what that woman I referred to earlier was ummm...... is something I hadnt considered. I'm not sure I want to consider it, not now.

I think I'll go stick my head under a car. That I *can* understand

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is she loving somebody else?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Pretty hectic lovely week. Took the new kitten to the vets on saturday cos we found a lump on her shoulder. First thoughts was ringworm, which was a "God damnit now we have to dose all the cats and us and anyone whos been and played with her" moment. Then the scab they picked off wouldnt stop bleeding, so they did a quick biopsy in the vets surgery.

Skin Cancer. Oh, and shes about a year old, not 6 months as first thought, and she ain't gettin any bigger than she is now!

So Roll forward to Thursday. Cat goes in for surgery to remove it. Missus is already freaking out because she lost her childhood cat of 15 years to cancer which started as a tumor on the intestines and only presented as a skin cancer once it had gone EVERYWHERE, so shes freaking.

Then they ring her up and tell her they found a SECOND lump when shaving for the first one. Now shes devastated, at school trying to teach a class on the verge of tears. We get the call later, all good, surgery went well, cats come round well and is recovering perfectly. So we go to pick her up and thats when we get "You have to promise to laugh..." from the vet nurse.

So they cut out the first lump they found, and were cutting down to the second lump, cut around the margins and then working their way in excising the skin flap aaand.....

The microchip fell out. That was the second lump- it had migrated from her neck to halfway down her ribs. So we got a new microchip and they didnt bill us for it. The rest of the surgery and pathology cost us $1071 but, free new microchip!

So now we have a very hacked up kitty who looks like shes been the victim of a machete attack in a cage for two weeks. The most miserable kitty on the planet right now im willing to bet.

They took a skin slab about 10cm tall and 4cm wide off a cat that weighs 3kg!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

poo poo like you do NOT raise your hand to a woman, No loving drat well means NO, you respect her boundaries and she does not owe you a goddamn thing in return, you talk to them like they are human etc. Hell, even raising my voice to a woman for ANY reason is a poo poo thing to do in my view
"Don't hit girls" is kind of moot to me. I'm used to being bigger and stronger than average, so I've always had to apply that same logic - which is basically not to be a loving bully just because you're physically able to - regardless of the genders involved. The disparity of someone my size having a crack at an "average" sized bloke isn't much different from them clocking a girl, so I regard it as wrong either way.

It's the right attitude not to be angry or violent toward people, but it's just true whenever you have power over people. I mean, it's technically true when you're dealing with people bigger than you, too, though that lesson at least has a hard way to learn it if someone's too much of a dick to take it on board just because it's moral.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

I would not buy a 15 year old car to use as your wifes daily unless it was low mileage and in perfect nick and had been owned and cared for by a close friend or relative. Even then you will still have to work on it.

You can still get newer stuff for not much money.

My 10 year old Aygo sold for £700..

Cheap a-segment cars for miles, I'd get a second Panda if that were feasible but she needs something bigger, ever tried 2 kids and a week's shopping, or family of 4 plus over night bags? I'm aware of the need for work, if I got the accord it'd be replaced in 4 months when I've the luxury of searching and shopping.
She also only does about 20 miles a week, hence choking the egr on the diesel.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Powershift posted:

Do they not have public car auctions where you live?

Car auctions are a bit of a shitshow in the UK, by the time you pay the fees the cars tend not to be much cheaper than the classifieds. My dad picked up an ‘05 focus at auction for about £500, but by the time fees got added it ended up nearer £700, which about what you would pay anywhere else. Worked for him though, his car got written off a week before the MOT ran out, insurance paid more than it cost him a year before, and he needed something ASAP before he spent too much on hire cars.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Snowed a good bit last night and stuck around - this is in Houston so pretty surprising to wake up to.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

We finally got around to watching Baby Driver tonight and uh, this was not great.

sorry about your bad taste

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We finally got around to watching Baby Driver tonight and uh, this was not great.

Yeah I found it lacking as well

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's because they really weren't great cars. The engines were solid, if it had the manual transmission that was also solid. The rest of the car was "ehhh, good enough", and the automatic transmissions were a 14 inch dick dicer jeep fire when they were behind the V6 (the auto behind the 2.3 was a bit more reliable, but still not known for longevity).

I unfortunately owned a 1999 Acura TL so I can tell you all about the joys of a transmission made of hopes and prayers, but this was the I4 so thankfully no transmission problems. I don't know about other markets, but for as long as I've been paying attention, a running car is worth $1000 in Los Angeles, especially a Honda. I was shocked to see multiple Hondas for below $1500 when I checked CL. Carmax offered them $400 for it lol when they tried to go there, but from what I can tell, Carmax really doesn't want cars that are more than 7 years old.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Yeah I found it lacking as well

My take was that the first 10-15 minutes were awesome. As soon as the red WRX left it dulled a bit. There were a lot of fantastic bits where the music synced up with graffiti etc (it's been a few months now).

If it had been the first 15 minutes writ large? A better film for me. Otherwise a very good one.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Life tip:

If the ginger beer isn't from the islands it's probably not that good. Lookin at you being disappointing Australia.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
After having had ginger-beer from a road-side stand in Maui, I concur

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

Same. Was good, but lacked cohesion. A solid C effort.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Wrar posted:

Life tip:

If the ginger beer isn't from the islands it's probably not that good. Lookin at you being disappointing Australia.

What ginger beer? soft drink(all flavouring), fermented (real ginger but non alc soft drink), proper beer beer?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wrar posted:

Life tip:

you're going to have to give us some brand names here chief because let me tell you about some good ginger beer! Royal Jamaican is pretty good

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Soft drink, http://www.bermudasgingerbeer.com/

I'd love to try a proper fermented one. I want a ginger kick in the taste buds.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Never heard of bermuda/barritts

Cheap soft drink here is Kirks "olde stoney" ginger beer.
Fermented soft drink version is bundaberg
Beer beer is ginger ninja.

For UK stuff it's nothing but Stones ginger wine or beer.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wrar posted:

Soft drink, http://www.bermudasgingerbeer.com/

I'd love to try a proper fermented one. I want a ginger kick in the taste buds.

Are you in Orstraylier or did you just try Bundaberg? Also I tend to find alcoholic ginger beers have more "craft" in them due to people paying more for them, but it'd help if you specify what you're into

casque
Mar 17, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

my formulative years were before the wider feminism movement really took off and a lot of my core values in regard to women were from my father and I have an undeniably old fashioned view about how to treat women correctly - which to be honest when i laid it out is one I am highly comfortable with - poo poo like you do NOT raise your hand to a woman, No loving drat well means NO, you respect her boundaries and she does not owe you a goddamn thing in return, you talk to them like they are human etc. Hell, even raising my voice to a woman for ANY reason is a poo poo thing to do in my view

None of these views are incompatible with feminism; all are how we should treat each other regardless of sex.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

the only long term realtionship that I havent maintained as friends afterwards I purposly burned because she claimed voting Trump was a Christian thing to do .... annnnnd you can imagine my reaction to THAT annnnd now you know one of the few times I raised my voice to a woman.

Lol you seriously ended a relationship over American politics when you live in Australia?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wrar posted:

Life tip:

Totally read that as "ginger bear" :gonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ilkhan posted:

Same. Was good, but lacked cohesion. A solid C effort.

It really fell apart in the last act. Spacey's full on reverse heel turn made no sense. John Hamm was the best part though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Thanks for the spoiler

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think Hamm being awesome is a surprise to anyone at all.

Camry is a no go today, buddy was gonna bring it by for me to check out and it wouldn't start.

GUESS IMMMA GET A KIA

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It really fell apart in the last act. Spacey's full on reverse heel turn made no sense. John Hamm was the best part though.

Spacey is a sucker for a young man with a boyish face

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fridge corn posted:

Spacey is a sucker for a young man with a boyish face

Well yes that does make the entire scene a whole lot weirder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dagen H posted:

Thanks for the spoiler
Yeah, kind of a dick move not tagging that, Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry? Pretty sure the movie got discussed at length unspoilered when it came out.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Clean '04 Aveo that needs a head gasket, or rusty '97 Corolla with a bad cat and little 20-year-old-car niggles?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Dagen H posted:

Clean '04 Aveo that needs a head gasket, or rusty '97 Corolla with a bad cat and little 20-year-old-car niggles?

Option 3, new walking shoes.

I am sure this will be unpopular but I would take the Aveo just because I hate rust.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dagen H posted:

Answer: C. Stop thinking like Rhyno.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dagen H posted:

Do you prefer to replace your timing belts every 40k or every 100k?

MomJeans420 posted:

I unfortunately owned a 1999 Acura TL so I can tell you all about the joys of a transmission made of hopes and prayers, but this was the I4 so thankfully no transmission problems. I don't know about other markets, but for as long as I've been paying attention, a running car is worth $1000 in Los Angeles, especially a Honda. I was shocked to see multiple Hondas for below $1500 when I checked CL. Carmax offered them $400 for it lol when they tried to go there, but from what I can tell, Carmax really doesn't want cars that are more than 7 years old.

Carmax gave me $1200 for a 99 Altima 5 years ago, in moderately rough condition and 170k. :iiam: (dented door, cracked bumper, rattling timing chain at startup, but ran and drove and had a clean interior + new clutch).

I was going to try listing it for $1500 on Craigslist, but willing to take as low as $1000, so when they offered $1200 I was more than happy to take it.

Goober Peas posted:

Totally read that as "ginger bear" :gonk:

Good, I'm not the only one. :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

rdb posted:

Option 3, new walking shoes ride the school bus.

It's for Middle Son.

Larrymer posted:

Answer: C. Stop thinking like Rhyno.

I'm only working with half of Rhyno's budget.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Stop thinking like Rhyno?

Um excuse me I'd be buying both and welding them together.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Paging Adiabatic, PM sent. Also, NIST just released rev 2 of the new ICS Cyber security spec, which I should have included in that PM.

http://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/12/05/draft-2_framework-v1-1_without-markup.pdf

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yo, Cakesmith:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-PANDA-1-4-TURBO-2008/302550996895?hash=item467171d79f%3Ag%3ANqYAAOSwNchaIpSd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dagen H posted:

It's for Middle Son.

I'm only working with half of Rhyno's budget.

I still think you can make 2x smarter decisions. :v:

• Locked thread