Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GramCracker posted:

Real talk how the gently caress are you both retired at those ages

At a guess: successful business venture followed by cash out at the highest value point or trust fund baby or both.

May also mean "functionally" retired in that their passive income exceeds their immediate expenses but live on a shoestring while working adhoc to help build for actual retirement age.

Edit: if I'd been less lazy and not gotten involved with my wife (who is now divorcing me, heh) I could probably have been pretty close to functional retirement by mid thirties and out at 40.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Pvt. Public posted:

Realtalk for a second. How long have you been retired and what do you do to keep yourself occupied day to day? I retired at 26 and within 4 years I went back to work because I had too much idle time combined with knowing math too well for my own good, so every penny I spent felt like a lot because I knew the rough future value of it if I lived to my 70s and that crippled my ability to spend money on even as little as lunch with friends.

2 years. I stay at home with my daughter for the moment and that keeps me occupied along with all my stupid hobbies. Kids are cool.

I'm sure I'll do something eventually again. But I'm okay for now. It's gunna be a while. Fried myself out.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

GramCracker posted:

Real talk how the gently caress are you both retired at those ages

I founded what turned out to be a very successful IT consulting company at 20 right in 2000 when everyone and their brother needed IT support and paid well for it because the pool of knowledgeable people was so small. Sold my company 5.5 years later with 103 employees to a large accounting firm that used it as the basis for their IT services division.

Norns posted:

2 years. I stay at home with my daughter for the moment and that keeps me occupied along with all my stupid hobbies. Kids are cool.

I'm sure I'll do something eventually again. But I'm okay for now. It's gunna be a while. Fried myself out.

Ah, ok. I think a lot of it, for me, was doing it before 30 so I had no idea how to live a normal life and was still far too young to make the rational decisions that I needed to make to keep myself sane. Plus, I have no desire to have kids, so there's not much of a home life to speak of. It is also incredibly hard to have a relationship with anyone that isn't already well-off themselves and I hate most of those people. I burned a lot of money, stupidly, in the first couple years but not enough to ever worry about it, if I'm honest.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 8, 2017

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Yall mfers know you can buy seats in race series, right

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

OhsH posted:

Yes, we know of Marcus Ericsson.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Theophany posted:

Yes, we know of Marcus Ericsson.

If only you could retire on joke getting

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What’s Frankie Muniz up to these days anyway?

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Theophany posted:

Where do you stand on the important issues of Haggis and Black Pudding?

Ive never tried black pudding because it looks repulsively gross. Haggis however is the food of the gods

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Black pudding is very good, but if you're scared of a little blood get white pudding instead. Even though it's less tasty.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

You should make 6 min eggs and put them in your ghetto ramen

1500quidporsche posted:

I've done 4 once and I almost vomited. 3 is the max, normally I just go with two had have some toast on the side.

I've been trying to find a way using an Oxford comma would have fixed that situation.

Can the wealthy retirees ITT start a charitable fund that provides tires to poor karters in need? Some of us are literally using other peoples trash. It's the automotive equivalent of this.

Oh, and was Frankie Muniz actually a poo poo driver? I remembered hearing that he quit acting to do racing, which was his real interest, and I thought "hey, good for him, cool dude". But if it turns out he was just another garbageman buying a seat then I take it back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I need someone to finance my coke and benzo habits. Wealthy goons...... hello

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Black Pudding is fuckin’ delicious

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

OhsH posted:

This is literally what I'm thinking - and if I was in their positions would 100% do. I'd also still poo poo post and then would tell Max about how much of a frog he looks like or Stroll about how we know he slams his sister.

Pvt. Public posted:

I founded what turned out to be a very successful IT consulting company at 20 right in 2000 when everyone and their brother needed IT support and paid well for it because the pool of knowledgeable people was so small. Sold my company 5.5 years later with 103 employees to a large accounting firm that used it as the basis for their IT services division.

Ah, ok. I think a lot of it, for me, was doing it before 30 so I had no idea how to live a normal life and was still far too young to make the rational decisions that I needed to make to keep myself sane. Plus, I have no desire to have kids, so there's not much of a home life to speak of. It is also incredibly hard to have a relationship with anyone that isn't already well-off themselves and I hate most of those people. I burned a lot of money, stupidly, in the first couple years but not enough to ever worry about it, if I'm honest.

It's cool to see some poo poo posters being very successful. Thanks for sharing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I need someone to finance my coke and benzo habits. Wealthy goons...... hello

Didn't know you needed support to fuel your coke habit.

Unless you're drinking a 24 pack a day.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I bought some lotto tickets cause there's a decent jackpot but after thinking about it last night I don't think I could really handle having no loving schedule whatsoever. I'd much rather just have a job I like.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rich goons..... don't look.......

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Also isn't coke like dirt cheap these days? It's all about the opiates now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Coke is cheap compared to the 70s but it's still pretty expensive.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just learn to freebase.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

A chilling glance into the mind of the average Lance Stroll fan.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hi can we go back to not talking about decapitating me. I guarantee a lot of you living much larger than me.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alcohol and toxic relationships you idiots, you dont need coke to ruin your life

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DoctorGonzo posted:

Alcohol and toxic relationships you idiots, you dont need coke to ruin your life

So Ferrari in other words, got it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Here's my hot tip: don't ruin your life with substance abuse, only use them to enhance it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Didn't you recently go through a messy breakup?
#forzaferrari

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Here's my hot tip: don't ruin your life with substance abuse, only use them to enhance it.

Smoke weed not crack

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Hi can we go back to not talking about decapitating me. I guarantee a lot of you living much larger than me.

We’re definitely living taller, because of still having heads.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Smoke weed watch racing have a beer or six. Relax.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm having espresso and doing work that my coworkers took ownership of then set back to unassigned because they're all lazy cunts who don't want to do anything that requires thinking.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norns posted:

Didn't you recently go through a messy breakup?
#forzaferrari

I dont learn and we still are hanging up

#forzaferrari

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CratSock posted:

I've been trying to find a way using an Oxford comma would have fixed that situation.

Can the wealthy retirees ITT start a charitable fund that provides tires to poor karters in need? Some of us are literally using other peoples trash. It's the automotive equivalent of this.

Oh, and was Frankie Muniz actually a poo poo driver? I remembered hearing that he quit acting to do racing, which was his real interest, and I thought "hey, good for him, cool dude". But if it turns out he was just another garbageman buying a seat then I take it back.

Yeah Muniz was pretty bad.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I was at a funeral yesterday and had my first joint in about 9 years with my cousin.

I totally deffed out, thought I was going to have a heart attack and spent an hour walking in circles trying to regulate my breathing to slow my heart rate down.

Good times.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The Unfetered One posted:

I was at a funeral yesterday and had my first joint in about 9 years with my cousin.

I totally deffed out, thought I was going to have a heart attack and spent an hour walking in circles trying to regulate my breathing to slow my heart rate down.

Good times.

Weed has gotten a lot more powerful in the last decade

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Gigi Galli posted:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

OhsH posted:

Yes, and I explored that option during my down time. I stuck to racing bikes and cars at track days rather than go all-in on actual racing. Probably going to buy a kart soon, but I'm 6'6" so that's not ideal. As much as I love watching racing and doing track days, having it as a job would ruin it, just like it did with computers and technology. Plus, I'd hate to eat up a seat someone with talent (of which, I possess little) could use. I have also considered team sponsorship should I get a hair up my rear end and start another company.

GramCracker posted:

This is literally what I'm thinking - and if I was in their positions would 100% do. I'd also still poo poo post and then would tell Max about how much of a frog he looks like or Stroll about how we know he slams his sister.

It's cool to see some poo poo posters being very successful. Thanks for sharing.

I don't really like talking about myself like this but y'all caught me at a good time, I guess. Also, I have met a few F1 drivers in the paddock hospitality areas as I mostly spend my money taking my dad around the world to races since that's the only way I can get him to leave the loving country. I really want to run into those two some day and just goon it the gently caress up, but I'd rather like to keep getting allowed back in.

Norns posted:

Yeah, same please. I don't own anything fancy. I drive a Civic because I could get it in a manual and I can wring it to death at street legal speeds and because it is cheap to own and maintain.

But, at the same time:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Rich goons..... don't look.......

The French were right, in this one narrow decision.

Norns posted:

Smoke weed not crack

Gigi Galli posted:

All day erry day

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 8, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

I don't really like talking about myself like this but y'all caught me at a good time, I guess. Also, I have met a few F1 drivers in the paddock hospitality areas as I mostly spend my money taking my dad around the world to races since that's the only way I can get him to leave the loving country. I really want to run into those two some day and just goon it the gently caress up, but I'd rather like to keep getting allowed back in.

A Good Son

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Pvt. Public posted:

Please do this and report back. Tia.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

GramCracker posted:

Wait. This brings me to a question; what is the worst thing some of y’all have attempted to cook and then eaten?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Pvt. Public posted:

Probably going to buy a kart soon, but I'm 6'6" so that's not ideal.

As much as i hate sounding like a broken record, find yourself a limo package gold cup ruleset 206, laydown seat for gold cup will help negate how hosed you are from being 6'6".

Limo package is just an extended foot area, and gold cup class that has different bodywork/seat rules. You will not be allowed to run it in any lo206 cik series, but at 6'6" its the best chance you have of being competitve in lo 206 senior. Or go wholr hog and get an enduro kart and go real fast laying down.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

OhsH posted:

As much as i hate sounding like a broken record, find yourself a limo package gold cup ruleset 206, laydown seat for gold cup will help negate how hosed you are from being 6'6".

Limo package is just an extended foot area, and gold cup class that has different bodywork/seat rules. You will not be allowed to run it in any lo206 cik series, but at 6'6" its the best chance you have of being competitve in lo 206 senior. Or go wholr hog and get an enduro kart and go real fast laying down.

I'll keep this in mind. I've already seen enduro karts and eh, I'd rather have a standard kart. But hell, I have made enough friends at track days that I can just keep paying for tires and fuel and abuse their machinery whenever I want and not have to eat much ownership cost at all. My bikes eat up enough money as it is.

• Locked thread