Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Literally advocating genocide here.

acshuly i think u'll find that the word is "ethnic cleansing" and saying genocide is bad decorum :words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Yossarian-22 posted:

acshuly i think u'll find that the word is "ethnic cleansing" and saying genocide is bad decorum :words:

"It's not ethnic cleansing, it's just population transfer!" -Ben Shapiro, literally.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Yes that's how journalism works, once a newspaper hosts an article or editorial it means the entire organization endorses that position.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

Yes that's how journalism works, once a newspaper hosts an article or editorial it means the entire organization endorses that position.

The guardian has been taking an anti-corbyn editorial line since the first leadership election, they're lovely liberals and can be relied on to stamp down on anything that seriously messes with the status-quo

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Literally advocating genocide here.

nobody will miss the americans they kill and take their land from :shrug:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Crane Fist posted:

The guardian has been taking an anti-corbyn editorial line since the first leadership election, they're lovely liberals and can be relied on to stamp down on anything that seriously messes with the status-quo

some of the writers feel bad about it though

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

That's honestly a badass line

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
looks like we're getting the softest brexit possible or talks are just going to collapse yet again because the DUP are asking for the impossible (they want more money from the gvoernment)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
And to think, if May had gone herself to Broadcasting House instead of sending the very recently bereft Amber Rudd to talk past Jeremy Corbyn, we might never have had all this fun.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

jBrereton posted:

MMM 💪🏻 Yes 🏹 Many doubt it 🥖🐌 but we know what's good 👍🏻. Snuggle up to that bodkin ✒️ and don't feel the need to keep it under your hat 🕵🏻. Show 🖕🏻👀 don't Tell 🍏 your martial spirit young briton 👊🏻. From french knights 🐴☠️ and welsh bandits 💦🐲 to yorkist 🌈 usurpers 🌽 you get the job done RIGHT 🎯🚮. Share this status 👋🏻 and see if you're the long 🍆 man in your desmesne. 10 likes 👍🏻 👍🏻 and you'll exceed your low birth 👨🏻‍🌾👑 . 5 likes and you serve your lord well 🙌🏻💰. 1 like and you're a craven wolfshead 🦌🏃🏻. REMEMBER AGINCOURT! ❌🐸❌

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Jose posted:

looks like we're getting the softest brexit possible or talks are just going to collapse yet again because the DUP are asking for the impossible (they want more money from the gvoernment)

I never thought I'd say this, but May's played this quite well. There's no specific language in there about remaining in the single market and customs union, but she's basically committed us to doing that until the ultra Brexiteers come up with a way of leaving the sm/cu without requiring border checks. Which doesn't exist.

There's now no way for them to just run down the clock to hard Brexit. There's also the two year transition which which will end up being ten.

They're all still cunts, but the mildly less cunty cunts have won. Big question will be be if/when there's a leadership challenge and the ultras install Thickasmince or JRM, would they renege?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/colmtobin/statu...ber%3D82%23pti9

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
https://twitter.com/markdevenport/status/939035003253428224?s=09

lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hell yes time for troubles 2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bump_fn posted:

Troubles 2 and Intifada 3 - these Hollywood reboots are getting out of hand

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

ohh yeah baby my irish border is rock hard

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nick_clegg/status/939082007472197632

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
doesn't Ireland have veto power over a deal thats a hard border with NI

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

bump_fn posted:

Yeah, since they're a member of the EU27. That's why this deal would essentially keep the UK in the regulatory framework of the EU, so that no hard border happens.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So the solution is to kick the Irish can down the road and to assume that the DUP fucks are more greedy than they are determined.

Honestly, solid move. Props to May.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bump_fn posted:

i wonder how many crates of unused armalites are still sitting buried in caches throughout NI

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Free trade warnings from loser Clegg.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

bump_fn posted:

Every country in the EC effectively has veto power over the extension of talks which keep the UK out of WTO rules for a while.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lib Dems? more like Lib Dumbs haha

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

julian assflange posted:

haha

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

julian assflange posted:

zounds reacts only

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i wonder how many crates of unused armalites are still sitting buried in caches throughout NI

The official IRA allegedly has a supply of around 5000 rifles and machine guns that they got from the USSR in the 80s as a pat on the head for remaining doctrinaire marxists long past the point it was fashionable.

As for whether they'll actually be digging them up, they announced their ceasefire in 1972 and the main reason that the provisionals split from them was that they refused to dig up their guns even at the height of anti-nationalist rioting in the original troubles. The previously mentioned doctrinaire marxism led them to conclude that the working class loyalists burning Catholic homes were actually allies in the workers' struggle who just hadn't yet reached sufficient class consciousness.

Also, in case anyone is taking the whole "Brexit will ignite troubles 2.0" thing seriously, please don't worry. The troubles were never about the border.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MY FREE MARKETS

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

julian assflange posted:

:lol: HUMILIATION FOR LOSER DUMBS!!

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

So the solution is to kick the Irish can down the road and to assume that the DUP fucks are more greedy than they are determined.

Honestly, solid move. Props to May.

As I understand it, it's not really about money here. The DUP are unionists. Above all, they don't want to create barriers between the mainland and NI. That's why they'd rather have closer regulatory alignment with the EU as long as all of the UK has it.

Really, the biggest danger to the agreement is the ultra-brexit wing of the conservatives, who might try to blow it up because it's not Brexity enough.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

UrbicaMortis posted:

As I understand it, it's not really about money here. The DUP are unionists. Above all, they don't want to create barriers between the mainland and NI. That's why they'd rather have closer regulatory alignment with the EU as long as all of the UK has it.

Really, the biggest danger to the agreement is the ultra-brexit wing of the conservatives, who might try to blow it up because it's not Brexity enough.

tbf the DUP was also founded by a guy who thought the EU was a conspiracy to create a Catholic empire ruled from Rome, and who was later ousted from the leadership for being too conciliatory towards Catholics

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Bryter posted:

tbf the DUP was also founded by a guy who thought the EU was a conspiracy to create a Catholic empire ruled from Rome, and who was later ousted from the leadership for being too conciliatory towards Catholics

Man, I should really read more Irish political history.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

UrbicaMortis posted:

Man, I should really read more Irish political history.

It's better when it's taught to you by a Tory, like mine was! :downs: His grandmother sang IRA songs to him, that's as far as his Fenian sympathies went. The class didn't bother with the 70s IRA because he considered them straight terrorists.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/168322341969/jeremy-corbyn-speech-at-the-united-nations-geneva

Jeremy Corbyn posted:

The UN has a pivotal role to play, in advancing a new consensus and common ground based on solidarity, respect for human rights and international regulation and cooperation.

That includes as a platform for democratic leaders to speak truth about unaccountable power.

One such moment took place on 4 December 1972, when President Salvador Allende of Chile, elected despite huge opposition and US interference, took the rostrum of the UN General Assembly in New York.

He called for global action against the threat from transnational corporations, that do not answer to any state, any parliament or any organisation representing the common interest.

Nine months later, Allende was killed in General Augusto Pinochet’s coup, which ushered in a brutal 17-year dictatorship and turned Chile into a laboratory of free market fundamentalism.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

yo u got a video of this poo poo

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Bryter posted:

Don't forget that he also got in a fistfight with the emperor of Austria-Hungary over calling the pope the antichrist or somesuch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://www.channel4.com/news/domin...ve-step-forward

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

TomViolence posted:

Don't forget that he also got in a fistfight with the emperor of Austria-Hungary over calling the pope the antichrist or somesuch.

Paisley vs a Habsburg

Whoever wins, we lose

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If we raze Northern Ireland to the ground and sell every last inhabitant into slavery we don't have to solve the border problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

If we raze Northern Ireland to the ground and sell every last inhabitant into slavery we don't have to solve the border problem.

this is how the uk solves most problems and in their defense it tends to work out pretty well for them specifically