Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Crash baby crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

One of mine is, not sure whats normal though.

Inflation is scary in combo with current govt poo poo though, it should help but it might condense wealth real quick. Either way bitcoins are the best.
How do butts do anything but "condense wealth" though

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Something Awful goons backed Cosbycoin and shunned Bitcoin...

I rest my case

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dogecoin is the light and the Way

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I wonder what price the coin has to get to that will convince a whale to dump his holdings, and whether that will be enough to crash the market or not

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

COMRADES posted:

Dogecoin is the light and the Way

The funniest part about Dogecoin is it's a superior technical evolution of Bitcoin that was made by some guy who wanted to prove how easy making cryptocoins was. And the dogecoin community was constantly making donations to charities and stuff instead of creating scams.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Fanatic posted:

I wonder what price the coin has to get to that will convince a whale to dump his holdings, and whether that will be enough to crash the market or not

it you look at the graphs from today you can see the whales dumping their coins through the order books like a hot knife in free fall

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
err scammers just love blockchains and unregulated markets with memecoins

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7126153

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fanatic posted:

I think a guy with ten thousand butts won't have them on these exchanges.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I went to the bitcoin reddit and it was a lot of people complaining they lost x amount of dollars, and had spent x amount of dollars in electricity and so wouldn't be able to pay their bills. Are you essentially paying your electricity company for your bitcoins?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ilmucche posted:

I went to the bitcoin reddit and it was a lot of people complaining they lost x amount of dollars, and had spent x amount of dollars in electricity and so wouldn't be able to pay their bills. Are you essentially paying your electricity company for your bitcoins?
Pretty much, since they stopped being something you could produce on your spare graphics card most of the big money hustlers have been guys with access to cheap industrial electricity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Inflation is scary in combo with current govt poo poo though

It isn't once you understand it

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Either way bitcoins are the best.
lol no, bitcoins are bad in basically all ways, unless you mean the best at generating comedy gold and well then yeah obviously

like even dogecoin is a better and more usable cryptocurrency

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The only good thing about bitcoins would be "I have a bunch of them and I'd really like a bunch of money for owning an asset"

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I put mine on a trailing stop loss last night because it was bouncing up and down like Zebedee. Wonder where it'll go today.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What is this thing with 226k unconfirmed transactions and growing? Nobody can pay with Bitcoin anymore?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sekenr posted:

What is this thing with 226k unconfirmed transactions and growing? Nobody can pay with Bitcoin anymore?
There's a backlog unless you pay a bunch more butt extra. I don't think it's ground to a halt yet, but your no fees transaction could take approximately forever to execute.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
dumb question, but what actually is a bitcoin?

I read people saying they are stored on hard drives. is it some kind of file? like could I click on a bitcoin.

if I go buy a bitcoin, do I actually get a thing? or a website just says, "you now own one bitcoin". who is holding the bitcoin. what does it even mean to hold a bitcoin or have one in your possession.

I know these are dumb questions but I'm not a cool computer guy like y'all and I don't understand bitcoin on a fundamental level.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

proctorbot posted:

I read people saying they are stored on hard drives. is it some kind of file? like could I click on a bitcoin.

if I go buy a bitcoin, do I actually get a thing? or a website just says, "you now own one bitcoin". who is holding the bitcoin. what does it even mean to hold a bitcoin or have one in your possession.

I know these are dumb questions but I'm not a cool computer guy like y'all and I don't understand bitcoin on a fundamental level.

bitcoins are just numbers in a distributed ledger; you can't hold one or click on one or whatever, there's a distributed ledger that says "address X has 3.2 bitcoins". Address X is a public key and anyone can send bitcoins to it. Anyone with the private key to address X can move bitcoins out of it, to some other address.

the distributed ledger holds every bitcoin transaction ever created, so it requires a bunch of hard drive space. But you can't do anything with those files besides look at the transaction records; if you try to gently caress with them the rest of the network will just disagree with and abandon your changes. You don't need to download the distributed ledger to use bitcoin

If you buy a bitcoin on an exchange a website just says "you now own a bitcoin", but really the owners of the website are holding that bitcoin for you. If you want you can ask the website to move your bitcoin(s) to an address that you own (aka an address to which you own the private key). You don't really "own" bitcoins; you control the private key to an address, and the private ledger says that the address has a bitcoin (or a fraction of a bitcoin or whatever). If someone else obtains your private key, either through guessing or more nefarious means, then they can move the contents of that address to some other address.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 8, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

proctorbot posted:

The file you can have on your computer is your "wallet", it contains a private encryption key that corresponds to the public encryption key that is stored on the blockchain. The blockchain is a public ledger of every transaction that has ever happened. Transactions are made that lead to a number of bitcoins, up to 9 decimal places being associated with your public encryption key. In order to manipulate those bitcoins in any way, you need the private encryption key.

You can store those bitcoins in an online wallet but they all eventually get hacked and robbed. You can keep them on an exchange, where it's usually just kept in a communal wallet, but those, too all eventually get hacked and robbed.

If someone else gets your private key or you forgot where you put it or the hard drive it's on dies or you accidentally delete the file or you download a wallet stealing virus, the coins are basically gone forever.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
How big is the ledger file at the moment?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Superrodan posted:

145gb

There are 219,188 unconfirmed transactions right now because the main fork of bitcoin is keeping the block size at 1mb/block. If they increase the block size to say, 2mb, the blockchain will grow twice as fast. They average around 2100 transactions per 1mb block. The 219,188 pending transactions would add between 80-100mb to the blockchain. Paypal in 2016 did 6.1 billion transactions, Matching paypal alone would add 2.9tb a year if they uncapped block size.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Superrodan posted:

A little under 150 gigs, or almost as big as my johnson if you prefer metric units.

I don't know if this came up earlier, but:

https://qz.com/1149772/the-murky-relationship-between-bitfinex-and-tether-is-raising-suspicions/

quote:

Put another way, if an affiliate of the New York Stock Exchange was able to print money at will to buy stocks on the exchange, questions would be asked and assurances sought about the legitimacy of a rally, especially if prices rose as rapidly as bitcoin in recent weeks.

“We appreciate every single one of our customers who have made Bitfinex the largest and best cryptocurrency exchange in the world,” Torossian said in an emailed statement.
In addition to their banking woes, both Bitfinex and Tether have suffered costly hacks. Last August, Bitfinex lost nearly 120,000 bitcoins, worth about $60 million at the time, to a hack.
Also I guess tether is just literally fiat money? Issued by a single authority and backed by promises alone?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nessus posted:

A little under 150 gigs, or almost as big as my johnson if you prefer metric units.

I don't know if this came up earlier, but:

https://qz.com/1149772/the-murky-relationship-between-bitfinex-and-tether-is-raising-suspicions/
Also I guess tether is just literally fiat money? Issued by a single authority and backed by promises alone?

No, tether is more like arcade tokens, if the arcade let you use arcade tickets to get more tokens.

You put $10 into a machine and get 10 arcade tokens that they say they will buy back from you at any time.
You put the tokens into a game and win 40 tickets.
You use those 40 tickets at the toy counter to get 40 arcade tokens
You tell the arcade owner you want to trade your tokens for money
He says he got hacked, and then disappears.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Powershift posted:

No, tether is more like arcade tokens, if the arcade let you use arcade tickets to get more tokens.

You put $10 into a machine and get 10 arcade tokens that they say they will buy back from you at any time.
You put the tokens into a game and win 40 tickets.
You use those 40 tickets at the toy counter to get 40 arcade tokens
You tell the arcade owner you want to trade your tokens for money
He says he got hacked, and then disappears.
So it's not like you get tethers for your money they totally didn't steal from you, you have to give them your fiat money, and then they totally promise they'll pay it back from their 100% non-fractional bank balance at some future point, maybe, if they feel like it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nessus posted:

So it's not like you get tethers for your money they totally didn't steal from you, you have to give them your fiat money, and then they totally promise they'll pay it back from their 100% non-fractional bank balance at some future point, maybe, if they feel like it?

They don't even promise to pay it back. The tether legal page states that they're under no obligation to redeem tethers to anyone for any reason.

It's a completely transparent scam but it makes the bitcoin price go up so bitcoiners are okay with it. It's also what will eventually cause the bubble to explode, most likely

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

They don't even promise to pay it back. The tether legal page states that they're under no obligation to redeem tethers to anyone for any reason.

It's a completely transparent scam but it makes the bitcoin price go up so bitcoiners are okay with it. It's also what will eventually cause the bubble to explode, most likely
So like, what's the value here, is the idea that if you float them enough money they'll release your butts or let you cash them out?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.
An important part of my investment portfolio is day trading a completely unregulated asset created by an anonymous person. What is especially appealing is that it is so hyperdeflationary, making it a terrific store of value.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

The minimum fee to get your bitcoin transaction thru is now $5.69.
although for that price it'll take 24 hours.
But for just $19.11 your transaction will only take 1 hour!
Currency of the future, everyone :downs:

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

i thought illicit drugs were supposed to be tax free :(

Had a quick read through the thread, the ledger is running behind by some 200k transactions? If panic sets in that could be... dangerous.

Rock Puncher fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 8, 2017

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Lol so one of the few "legitimate" uses for BTC, moving money from one person to another faster and cheaper than traditional money transfer services, is basically null and void

Love them SpeculationBux

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Your transaction times are indeterminate and the fee you have to pay to get your transaction to happen is indeterminate and there a huge backlog of transactions that may never happen because of those things. The currency of the future as invented by libertarians and internet autists!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I advise everyone to start making transactions now, while they are still relatively cheap. Just send random amounts of bitcoins to random addresses and then sell your transactions to people who actually want to send bits to that address.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
gently caress i still have $50 in my wallet i was going to use on the only reason bitcoins are useful

i guess it's more like $150 now so I probably wont even have to buy more if I wait another week, but prospect theory wins again.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Can you cancel a transaction to unfuck yourself when e.g. you've accidentally tried to transfer all your funds with 0 fee?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

amotea posted:

Can you cancel a transaction to unfuck yourself when e.g. you've accidentally tried to transfer all your funds with 0 fee?

lol

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

amotea posted:

:shobon:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How many cryptocurrencies are there? Can more than one survive? Is Ethereum the new bitcoin?

I think we should make gooncoins. If we all jump in on the ground floor we can cash out once the real morons jump in.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Waltzing Along posted:

How many cryptocurrencies are there? Can more than one survive? Is Ethereum the new bitcoin?

I think we should make gooncoins. If we all jump in on the ground floor we can cash out once the real morons jump in.

There are literally projects on github for the purpose of creating your own coin just by copying it and changing a few variables, that's why there are so many. You can have a gooncoin going by lunch if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Or we can all just agree each gooncoin is worth 1 billion dollars, making us all billionaires, and then all sell at once so nobody is left holding the bag.