Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Have they made any rumblings about bringing over the vanilla WH1 campaign map?

It would be nice to play some of the older factions with out 2 minute end of turn timers or another 50gb of HD space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SHISHKABOB posted:

When a computer game company does something I think is not good: I go do something else.

Is your position that negative feedback shouldn't exist?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I'm glad this game has options for "vo_is_dragon" and "vo_is_dinosaur"

The superior total war experience.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Xae posted:

It would be nice to play some of the older factions with out 2 minute end of turn timers or another 50gb of HD space.

Nope. They want players to buy TW1.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I’m having a lot of fun with ME and I think it’s impressive that such a large campaign works at all. :shobon:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Is your position that negative feedback shouldn't exist?

If they never do anything good again, then I'm never going to go back to them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, I finally managed to get my Actual Empires Empire game to 50 turns without poo poo going horribly wrong. Since I like playing "tall" as Empire, I also use these two mods that let you turn Elector Counts of your choice into vassals, as well as incentivizing doing loreful stuff like resurrecting dead Imperial provinces and helping them out.

Summon the Elector Counts: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1193013133

(This mod is the more significant of the two: by fulfilling a corresponding objective, you can have an Elector Count agree instantly to become your vassal. Furthermore, every 10 or so turns, you get a choice to reorganize the Imperial provinces held by you and your vassals, giving each (active) Elector the regions that rightfully belong to them. Finally, sacking an Imperial region will return it to its rightful Elector Count as long as they're alive.)

Legitimacy: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1183520408

(This mod is also helpful as it can resurrect dead Elector Counts. Basically, if you want to keep an Imperial region for yourself, ensure that the Elector Count is dead and they won't be shuffled away when you get the regular reorganization choice. And if you don't want to keep it for yourself, have an enemy take it and then resurrect the Elector Count.)

Anyway, the climate mod seems to be doing a good job of keeping factions in their appropriate climates, which is a plus. The trade-off is pretty big, of course, as the Empire stands to benefit a lot by absorbing the Grey Mountain Dwarfs into their realm if they get eaten by Vampires/Greenskins/Beastmen/Wood Elves or if they become hostile. The only exception I've noticed is Kislev getting run out of their homeland by Norscans and Vampires, and ending up in the World's Edge Mountains. Their days are numbered, as the Norscans are continuing their pursuit, the wrong climate penalties kill their economy and development dead, and the constant rebellions sap what little military strength they have left.

The Greenskins have confederated with all their minor tribes, and have declared war on everyone else they encounter. Despite being surrounded at all sides, they are still a massive threat and have turned the Badlands into a constantly-shifting warzone between them, the Dwarfs, and two Dwarf minors. They have also killed off Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin, though the Vampires have taken advantage of their overextended forces and are now taking out their border settlements in the World's Edge Mountains.

Speaking of the Vampires, the Actual Empires modder designed them so that they'll generally sit pretty until mid-game and only attack factions much weaker than they are before then. In my game, they have only started warring with the southern Imperial provinces recently; instead, they preferred to expand north into Ostermark and eventually Kislev as these factions generally are too far from the rest of the provinces to develop alliances. Thanks to their more cautious behavior, Mannfred has maintained his strength as the most powerful faction in the Old World (Lothern is #1 overall, natch), and I expect him to start going west soon once the Greenskins lose their World's Edge settlement and if the Norscans don't wage war against them.

The Actual Empires modder has done a very good job at keeping the Skaven factions in the game: these are now two games I've seen Skyre destroy Estalia and Tilea, while Moulder remains passive but alive in Hell Pit despite being surrounded by hostile factions. The playable Skaven factions are also doing great, with Pestilens about to finish off Teclis and Mors sniping settlements from the Greenskins in the south-western Badlands while they're too distracted by everything else.

Bretonnia, IMO, is far too stable in the mod as Mousillon gets dogpiled by all the Dukedoms, with the only destabilizing factors being the possibility of Grey Mountain Dwarfs going hostile, Wood Elves going hostile, or Beastmen hordes. These threats also get mitigated by the Bretonnians quickly establishing alliances with one another, and I assume that it'll only be a matter of time before Bretonnia gets the techs it needs to confederate them all.

Finally, the Empire as a whole has been rather stable, though the modder has made it so that Marienburg is more of an Imperial concern by having it not start at war with Bretonnia. Had I not struck when I did (about 20 turns in), they would've allied with Bretonnia eventually. Meanwhile, Imperial infighting penalties may not work as seamlessly as they should: since "Dislikes the Empire" works on every Empire faction, the friendly Imperial provinces tend to ally with one another while the hostile ones will fight against them and each other. With the two Empire mods I play with, as well as the climate mod, this means that I've pretty much stuck with Reikland and Marienburg for most of the 50 turns, and further "lawful" expansion has to be done through confederation, hoping that the Vampires or some other threat take out the Imperial provinces I want to keep for myself, and/or feeding hostile Imperial provinces to my vassalized Elector Counts.

From my experience, Empire games generally tend to be very stable if neither Norsca nor the Undead go crazy. Thankfully, both of them seem to be on the verge of coming for the rest of the Empire, so here's hoping it works out!

Next, I'll see about that Mors game I had saved at turn 34.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just had a close victory where the enemy suffered 0 losses.

Old blood plus 15 dinos. Dunno what's going on with Mazdamundi's recruitment templates, High Elves have been churning out some nicely balanced stacks this campaign.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Probably a rite stack, they have one that summons a dino army led by a oldblood.

Edit: Got ritual and rite mixed up as pointed out!

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 8, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Noir89 posted:

Probably a ritual stack, they have one that summons a dino army led by a oldblood.

ME campaign.

87 turns in and I own my home Yvresse province, Estalia's capital (for iron), Myrmidens (pottery) and Gronti Mingol (salt) across the bay. No sign of the dwarf doomtide so far, although there are enough other clans around that if they start confederating it might happen. Got a big Von Carstein problem to solve first. Orcs are in decline since my tsundere bff Tilea and I piled into the badlands.

I spent the first 20 turns uniting Ulthuan via beating up Scourge of Kaine, at which point Morathi made the mistake of invading Cairn Anroc. Every single High Elf kingdom (except mine) sent invasion stacks in retribution, and some are still there. It's been a fun war to watch except now Malekith has woken up and he's a powerhouse (and still only strength rank 2, no idea who or what is first).

Mazdamundi has been sending the odd stack at me all the way in Elessaeli. Now I can see three blobbing together, with the mostly-dead dinos retreating towards them. Bit concerned.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

sassassin posted:

ME campaign.

Rites are still in ME.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Rites are still in ME.

They really shouldn't have called rituals and rites such similar, often-interchangeable things. It's a problem in the data, too. Confusing. Bad technical writing.

Is that really a rite, though? A 3/4 stack of dinos? Seems a bit op.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

They really shouldn't have called rituals and rites such similar, often-interchangeable things. It's a problem in the data, too. Confusing. Bad technical writing.

Is that really a rite, though? A 3/4 stack of dinos? Seems a bit op.

It costs about 12k gold and has a 50 turn cool down.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Retreating from battles is so dodgy. If you do it with a river or something at your back you can get a huge amount of free movement as your stack walks all the way around to get the standard retreat distance away (which is impossible to then close down).

And if you block one end of a valley and tell your ally to attack from the other side, the enemy stack can still retreat right through your zone of control if it doesn't feel like fighting.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

Retreating from battles is so dodgy. If you do it with a river or something at your back you can get a huge amount of free movement as your stack walks all the way around to get the standard retreat distance away (which is impossible to then close down).

And if you block one end of a valley and tell your ally to attack from the other side, the enemy stack can still retreat right through your zone of control if it doesn't feel like fighting.

I'm pretty sure both retreating and attacking completely ignore zones of control. In fact, I think retreating has to ignore zone of control, because in the event you somehow end up in an enemy zone of control with normal movement available (in my experience, usually from sacking a settlement (which removes it's zone of control for that turn) and walking back near into where it's control zone would be so you start there next turn) you cannot move anywhere, except in the zone of control, meaning the only way to get out is to attack, and then either confirm the attack, or retreat, which will then have the army walk out of the zone of control, which would not be possible if retreating did not ignore zones of control.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You shouldn't be able to retreat towards the centre point of a zone of control. If no direction lets you do that and get far enough away your lizard rear end should be grass.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

You shouldn't be able to retreat towards the centre point of a zone of control. If no direction lets you do that and get far enough away your lizard rear end should be grass.

The issue seems to be that zones of control are, essentially, either "on" or "off", you can either be in normal move and not go through them, or when attacking or retreating, you ignore them entirely, it's just that in normal circumstances, retreating has you moving away from 1 stack, and so the flaw with this isn't obvious, but when surrounded, this forces the retreat to go towards a zone of control, and through the other side. Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you say here, it's just that I'm explaining how, precisely, it appears to work, there is no function for "you can move away but not towards a zone of control", it's completely all or nothing. Presumably, it's like this because it was the simplest way to have retreats and attacks function, just be able to ignore a zone of control when doing that specific action. Who knows how difficult making it so that zones of control can be partially not ignored would be.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm pretty sure both retreating and attacking completely ignore zones of control. In fact, I think retreating has to ignore zone of control, because in the event you somehow end up in an enemy zone of control with normal movement available (in my experience, usually from sacking a settlement (which removes it's zone of control for that turn) and walking back near into where it's control zone would be so you start there next turn) you cannot move anywhere, except in the zone of control, meaning the only way to get out is to attack, and then either confirm the attack, or retreat, which will then have the army walk out of the zone of control, which would not be possible if retreating did not ignore zones of control.
The way that you can't block off retreats, or that retreats let you cross rivers, is loving stupid though. Getting trapped in valleys or up against rivers is a thing armies had to avoid doing! Lake Trasimene was so devastating not just because Hannibal managed a very successful ambush of his full line onto a Roman force who were in march and unable to adequately deploy into a fighting line, but because the Roman retreat was massively cut off by the lake. Total War doesn't do this because it really wouldn't be that fun, but so many of the casualties were caused by routs that actually being able to stop the rout would be tremendously significant in terms of winning wars. Trasimene supposedly had 50% fatalities for the Romans, either in battle or drowned trying to flee, which is utterly absurd. I'm absolutely not a military historian, but for some reason I remember some estimates for average casualties caused by combat usually being between 5% and 15%, though I have no idea where I got that number from. I do know that Trasimene was huge though. IIRC, both Crecy and Pointiers had the English taking positions with a river on one flank. On one hand, that secures that side from flanking. On the other, if you get outflanked from the other side, you can't retreat and losses would be devastating. Amphibious assaults likewise really risky: not only are your forces entering piecemeal, but whoever hits the beach is committed: they can't retreat and so your losses are going to be much, much higher if you lose.

TW doesn't really feature that level of map control. Nor does it highlight the significance of losing an army because of how upkeep and cost interact and how generally easy it is to replace losses. If we were doing this more realistically, you'd a) have to completely change the turn-based nature of the overworld map, and b) the complaints of Skaeling armies raiding your poo poo and running away laughing would pale in comparison to what we'd get. But since neither of those options actually seem fun, armies simply should not be able to withdraw across rivers in TW, or through zones of control. Your example could be solved making it so that if an army sacks a settlement, it moves outside of where the ZoC will be next turn. Or make it so that retreating into another army's ZoC gives them the opportunity to attack (maybe even give a chance at ambush) if they want.

(Also, AI armies that get block-armied should be smart enough to at least enter one of the defensive postures like encampment, channeling, or whatever instead of just waiting for their fate if they can)

While I'm dreaming, I'd like for there to be various pre-battle deployment choices that can change things up a bit, or move the map "stances" to have more of a dynamic effect on the battlefield.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 8, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Your example could be solved making it so that if an army sacks a settlement, it moves outside of where the ZoC will be next turn. Or make it so that retreating into another army's ZoC gives them the opportunity to attack (maybe even give a chance at ambush) if they want.

I feel should note that after sacking, the army does move out of where Zone of Control would be, but because sacking removes the zone of control, you can walk right back in, thus entering a situation next turn where you are within an enemy zone of control and have movement, which I suspect is not supposed to be a thing that happens, but it does seem to help demonstrate how exactly zone of control works.

Again, I agree that it should be possible to block of retreats, I'm just trying to explain the apparent mechanics behind why it isn't.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Oh that reminds me of one of the coolest additions in ME: river/choke point maps! They freaking own! Too bad the AI can't figure out how to behave on them

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ravenfood posted:

The way that you can't block off retreats, or that retreats let you cross rivers, is loving stupid though.

Retreats are straight up teleports, even though they're not animated like that. I've seen an army trapped against a bay just go aaaall the way around the bay. And then do the same thing in the other direction the next turn. This was on the west coast of Norsca against one of the challengers, I think (so TWW1 but I assume retreats still work the same way). The bay was big enough (or the terrain bad enough) that IIRC even with full movement I couldn't catch the retreating army after attacking it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Relatedly, I really wish certain locations would have some kind of defensive properties on the campaign map. You shouldn't be able to just trolllololl past somewhere like Lothern or Karaz-a-Karak to gently caress the juicy interior.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Relatedly, I really wish certain locations would have some kind of defensive properties on the campaign map. You shouldn't be able to just trolllololl past somewhere like Lothern or Karaz-a-Karak to gently caress the juicy interior.

Zones of control are way too small in general. Armies just walk past each other all the time.

Anyone have a link to the mod that increases the cool down time between diplomatic spam?

Xae fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 8, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I just saw the trailer for the new DLC for TW2. They really know how to advertise things in that Warhammer sort of way.

All I can say is

N E V E R E N O U G H D O O M W H E E L S

They need to add this in to Rome as well. The historical accuracy nerds on TWC would lose it.

Also, is Chaos fixed in the mortal empires campaign yet so that it doesn't just declare or focus on you and a few other nations? The patch seemed to get mixed reviews way back when, so I felt like holding off on playing it until it was.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 8, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Archonex posted:

They need to add this in to Rome as well. The historical accuracy nerds on TWC would lose it.

The twc servers shut down in 2011.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

sassassin posted:

The twc servers shut down in 2011.

Pretty sure that's not correct?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Both of its regular posters will be thrilled.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Weren't the Rome 2 Pontus memes sourced from TWC posts?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Kanos posted:

Weren't the Rome 2 Pontus memes sourced from TWC posts?

Yup. He's severely overestimating how big the community still is on there.

If nothing else the mod scene keeps it alive. TWC pretty much is the place for Medieval mods. Some of the craziest conversions are still on there. Like that Zelda game that's basically a full fledged Total War version of the series.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Archonex posted:

Like that Zelda game that's basically a full fledged Total War version of the series.

I get the feeling that a bunch of stuff from Warhammer could improve that, such as single model lords who can kick tons of rear end, which is what Link and Ganondorf could be, which I doubt they are in that mod.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

I get the feeling that a bunch of stuff from Warhammer could improve that, such as single model lords who can kick tons of rear end, which is what Link and Ganondorf could be, which I doubt they are in that mod.

Yeah. Warhammer is mechanically a less buggy, more feature restricted, and more fine tuned version of what the Zelda mod was way back when. Though, the Lord's in that mod can kick an obscene amount of rear end. The problem is that you have no data on when one of them is about to kick the bucket. They can also die from a random attack due to the way the combat system (it's essentially dice rolls in that game, I believe.) works.

That mod was years ahead of the official games in many ways and Total War itself is just catching up to some of his ideas. For instance, the TW Zelda dev was working on integrating multiple eras for the entire setting in one complete package. This included unique features for each faction (Like naval and aerial combat being introduced during the Wind Waker era. Note that real naval battles did not exist for Medieval 2. It was done in the auto resolve sort of way. Ditto for aerial units. So he basically had to make the mechanics for that from scratch.) and multiple factions for each era.

Heck, the mod even had the idea for the chaos invasion (and a full blown religious war as another separate "chaos" style invasion that relied on religious mechanics decided to crash the previous chaos invasion's party) mechanics in via the Majora and Ooca factions years ago. He eventually had to tone some of the expected features back because the Medieval engine just cannot handle so much stuff going on at once even with the various hacks and workarounds he put together.

Just look at this poo poo to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3L3zEk5ccY

If possible it'd be a great idea for that guy to work on the tools to restart it on the TW Warhammer games. He's been running headlong into the very limits of what the Medieval back end can handle for years now and has had to stop and cobble together multiple hacks to keep the project going.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 9, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Archonex posted:

If possible it'd be a great idea for that guy to work on the tools to restart it on the TW Warhammer games. He's been running headlong into the very limits of what the Medieval back end can handle for years now and has had to stop and cobble together multiple hacks to keep the project going.
Warhammer isn't moddable enough, I don't think you can change the map for one, and I haven't seen any mods that import their own models yet. He's making a new Zelda RTS on the 0AD (a free Age of Empires-like) engine instead.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mordja posted:

Warhammer isn't moddable enough, I don't think you can change the map for one, and I haven't seen any mods that import their own models yet. He's making a new Zelda RTS on the 0AD (a free Age of Empires-like) engine instead.

There was a mod in TW1 that changed the map. Not sure how far they got on it but they apparently achieved it by overwriting one of the mini campaigns. It's the only attempt I noticed however.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xae posted:

uh....play warhammer 1?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

WH2 fixed luminarks, my fav unit. Just got 890 combined kills with a two 'nark build against VC. They sniped Ghorst in the first 20 seconds lmao yess

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mans posted:

uh....play warhammer 1?

It doesn't have the quality of life poo poo. I'd also like a port of the map so it runs with the TW2 interface which is slightly better.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What's involved in a confederation-heavy strategy? I'm doing a gimmick Teclis ME playthrough going for Maximum Elf Confederation (after neutering Tyrion so he doesn't devour the island), and wondering how I should approach this clusterfuck of Ulthuan lords.

Also, is it realistically possible to confederate someone after being in a war with them, or does one conflict set you back so far that you're basically sunk?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

Yeah. Warhammer is mechanically a less buggy, more feature restricted, and more fine tuned version of what the Zelda mod was way back when. Though, the Lord's in that mod can kick an obscene amount of rear end. The problem is that you have no data on when one of them is about to kick the bucket. They can also die from a random attack due to the way the combat system (it's essentially dice rolls in that game, I believe.) works.

That mod was years ahead of the official games in many ways and Total War itself is just catching up to some of his ideas. For instance, the TW Zelda dev was working on integrating multiple eras for the entire setting in one complete package. This included unique features for each faction (Like naval and aerial combat being introduced during the Wind Waker era. Note that real naval battles did not exist for Medieval 2. It was done in the auto resolve sort of way. Ditto for aerial units. So he basically had to make the mechanics for that from scratch.) and multiple factions for each era.

Heck, the mod even had the idea for the chaos invasion (and a full blown religious war as another separate "chaos" style invasion that relied on religious mechanics decided to crash the previous chaos invasion's party) mechanics in via the Majora and Ooca factions years ago. He eventually had to tone some of the expected features back because the Medieval engine just cannot handle so much stuff going on at once even with the various hacks and workarounds he put together.

Just look at this poo poo to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3L3zEk5ccY

:eyepop:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Archonex posted:

What in the Christfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder if the old races will get rites to do in campaign later on.