Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Al forging? Did you grow up at Alcoa High School and get a free set of rims every semester?

I actually did go to Alcoa High School, and the football team took the shop room over in 1997 and turned it into their weight room. Shop just kinda ceased being a thing. I did get to take woodworking as a freshman in '96. There hadn't been any metal shop in several decades. :(

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

General_Failure posted:

e: ^^^^ Nice. I'll have to see if it's on Netflix Australia. I watched the older seasons on YouTube. I'm not much of a TV person but I do like shows that have me non-stop yelling at them in horror and anguish.

It's on there, just checked. Added to my drink-watching list!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure my great grandma would've huffed and puffed about me not knowing how to churn butter, use a washing board or how to put up a good hayrack.

Having churned butter, used a washboard, mowed hay by hand, etc, I'm perfectly happy having done it ONCE and having to get good at it. This goes about triple for having cut down a 30" diameter maple with an axe. That's a thirty- to ninety-second job with a chainsaw if you know what you're doing. It's a couple of hours with an axe if you don't.

As for content: Oil fitting on the back of a jet engine had a brazed elbow that became unbrazed at some point, leaking oil past the hot section. It leaked down the back of the fitting, forward through the shrouds, down the engine, and pooled in the heat shield. It looks like what happens when you leave tupperware in the oven. That last image is a 7/16" bolt, half obscured by the pile of goop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Friction stir joinery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0k04hjdYuQ

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

ExplodingSims posted:

On the other hand, people knowing some basic repair skills would at least help them out when the landlord's $10 handyman fucks up their place even more. :v:

Good freaking point. I'm still pissed that my landlord's stooge filled a cold air space with water pipes running through it with expanding foam rather than hiring a drat plumber to install a valve and draincock so I could just shut that sink off in the coldest parts of winter. (flippers added a first floor half bath before selling the house to the rental company and of course did a poo poo job). It obviously still freezes when the temp gets below about 5F. :bravo: all around.

This is cool.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've never heard of that. drat cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like how the guy stares intently at the block of wood as he closes the opaque door.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I like how the guy stares intently at the block of wood as he closes the opaque door.

https://i.imgur.com/OpKrTC0.mp4

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

General_Failure posted:

To this day I can never understand how it's possible to make it through life without a knowledge of how tools work and how to use them. I do honestly mean that. How can a person survive without knowing how to do anything?

I worked with a guy once who would call a plumber every time he needed a tap washer done.

Not because the seat needed grinding and he didn't have the doodad or anything like that. Just the washer.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Darchangel posted:

Well, on the part of your resume for hobbies and other interests, note that you work on your cars or something. I do that even for IT to point out troubleshooting skills and process thinking. Mine basically says "I like to fix poo poo." In resume-ish terms, of course.

I note the relevant stuff I do. Being me and doing a bunch of crazy stuff in my own time, I keep suspecting that if it gets to a human, they just go "... yeah, I'm calling bullshit on this" and circular-file it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Engineers who've never touched a wrench. Joy.
Don't most of those work at BMW or Audi?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't most of those work at BMW or Audi?

this is a bad hot take

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Anybody who wants to be an engineer should absolutely spent a few years working in a trade or wrenching on something. Because holy gently caress do people make some dumb design choices.

Also, all the bad engineers work at Carrier. :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like to think most engineers are compassionate about their jobs.

It is the bean counters that get us into this mess.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

A lot of engineers... it just gets to where they don't know any better. Or I'm seeing somewhere with some of our projects where the 3d model is a couple kludges piled on each other and some features literally can't be changed without crashing the CAD program. It's really weird.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like to think most engineers are compassionate about their jobs.

It is the bean counters that get us into this mess.

At the same time, people will optimize for what they know, and ignore things they're not aware of. If what the engineer knows is how to get the most efficient and strongest structure in the cleverest way, then that's what they'll do. But if they've never had to take the battery out of a car before, they might not think twice about putting it in a place where you have to remove the front wheels to extract it from underneath the fender.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ExplodingSims posted:

Anybody who wants to be an engineer should absolutely spent a few years working in a trade or wrenching on something. Because holy gently caress do people make some dumb design choices.

Been saying this for years. At the very least a "just because you can design something this way doesn't mean you should" unit as a part of the classes engineers take.

School shop chat: took two years of metal shop, my high school had mostly manual machining equipment - lathes and milling machines, an aluminum foundry, gas forge and stick and oxy acetylene welding. Second year they acquired a little tabletop CNC lathe. This was in the late 90s/early 2000s so anything CNC was a big deal in a public school.

Most memorable part of the class was the teacher almost exclusively playing old Roger Miller records during class.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 8, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The ethos of engineering is often "If you don't like the problems we cause, just wait until you see the solutions".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
we're well past the point of mass produced products having any one single person decide where a particular component goes...it's not going to come down to one lonely engineer designing a battery box who's never turned a wrench forgetting that maintenance is something to be considered in the design.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

The ethos of engineering is often "If you don't like the problems we cause, just wait until you see the solutions".

Here the ethos is "Good enough for government work."

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sagebrush posted:

At the same time, people will optimize for what they know, and ignore things they're not aware of. If what the engineer knows is how to get the most efficient and strongest structure in the cleverest way, then that's what they'll do. But if they've never had to take the battery out of a car before, they might not think twice about putting it in a place where you have to remove the front wheels to extract it from underneath the fender.

The software engineering side of this is the similar "Engineers should not be allowed to build interfaces."

It may work perfectly but if it runs like an engineer built the interface generally you are hosed. This explains most of the horrible user interfaces you have used.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

we're well past the point of mass produced products having any one single person decide where a particular component goes...it's not going to come down to one lonely engineer designing a battery box who's never turned a wrench forgetting that maintenance is something to be considered in the design.

Depends on the mass produced products. I can trace a lot of issues with mass produced generators from my company to a bad design that one engineer forced through 4 years ago.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sagebrush posted:

Of course, but who placed the constraints on them to begin with.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'll give you an example. Aero engines often use taper-fit bolts in certain applications - the effective diameters vary, but the taper angle will basically be the same on every single application. I had a drawing for a bolt come across my desk, which had a different taper, so I questioned it. It got to the point of having a conference call with half a dozen engineers from the engine company (who shall remain nameless, but there's only so many of them), everyone having insisted that if it's on the drawing, it must be correct, and I had to point out that maybe someone could go and look at the drawing for the hole it fits into to check, because I can't see them magically conjuring a different taper out of thin air just for one bolt family. Hey, guess what, it should be the same angle as every other taper bolt ever made, who'd have thunk it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BitBasher posted:

The software engineering side of this is the similar "Engineers should not be allowed to build interfaces."

It may work perfectly but if it runs like an engineer built the interface generally you are hosed. This explains most of the horrible user interfaces you have used.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This entire page can be summed up with "Companies make bad products because money."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

bull3964 posted:

This entire page can be summed up with "Companies make bad products because money."

Don't forget incompetence and laziness

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yeah, I think Hanlon's Razor applies here.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

IPCRESS posted:

I worked with a guy once who would call a plumber every time he needed a tap washer done.

Not because the seat needed grinding and he didn't have the doodad or anything like that. Just the washer.

On a similar note....

It took the Koala keepers at work THREE DAYS to turn the LH washer into the RH washer and complain that the tap was leaking again

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What is a tap washer and why are koalas being mentioned? Is this jargon?

Reference: I own(ed) a lathe and welder and do a lot of both redneck engineering and by-the-book torque speccing. I even have special torque wrenches for each range to ensure accuracy. However, I'm not above welding the rivets in an Ikea/disposable shelf to temporarily fix wobbling for a few decades.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Dunno, but that's what happened when I changed a rubber dome seal washer on a burred and corroded hosed up seat before.
Ex just kept on tightening the tap more and more each day because it keeps leaking and dripping.
I did not care because it was a rental house and the seat wasn't my problem and besides I'm moving out.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 9, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spend the $3 and get a quarter turn ball valve.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
At least once a month I have to replace a cartridge and seat in one of the sinks in the dining hall because the idiotic fucks they hire to work in there think the only way to turn off a sink is to jam the handle with full force to the rear until they strip out the loving brass cartridge inside (and not just where the handle attaches, oh no I've seen them literally rip the threads for the stop out) and/or drive the seat through the washer. Every month.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

I'll give you an example. Aero engines often use taper-fit bolts in certain applications - the effective diameters vary, but the taper angle will basically be the same on every single application. I had a drawing for a bolt come across my desk, which had a different taper, so I questioned it. It got to the point of having a conference call with half a dozen engineers from the engine company (who shall remain nameless, but there's only so many of them), everyone having insisted that if it's on the drawing, it must be correct, and I had to point out that maybe someone could go and look at the drawing for the hole it fits into to check, because I can't see them magically conjuring a different taper out of thin air just for one bolt family. Hey, guess what, it should be the same angle as every other taper bolt ever made, who'd have thunk it.

Sounds like you’d enjoy this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyN4XhJ_ms

It’s a training video from the 1970s made by British Leyland about why communication and correct specification is so important.

Of course British Leyland was one big mechanical failure in its own right.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Sounds like you’d enjoy this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyN4XhJ_ms

It’s a training video from the 1970s made by British Leyland about why communication and correct specification is so important.

Of course British Leyland was one big mechanical failure in its own right.
Yes! I think that film's great, and have previously recommended it to people for an overview of that kind of poo poo. Good fun playing spot the famous faces, too. The thing is, a huge amount of that stuff is still 100% relevant 40 years later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Please stop trying to do burnouts with your AWD Audis:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That chipped a valve and its seat?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

That chipped a valve and its seat?

I think the owner overheated the engine, he claims he was trying to do burnouts (something you really can't do well in an Audi Quattro, which is why most guys do donuts), and the #5 cylinder is notorious for getting hotter than all the other cylinders and killing exhaust valves.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Not 5 valves. Not an Audi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Faster Blaster posted:

Not 5 valves. Not an Audi.

Cylinders are what counts, boss.