Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
How do you guys decide how to set ships up, past the set in stone builds? I'm always lost between so many possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What is the best play mat currently? I used to have a grip mat that I loved but after taking it out of storage it is too warped to play on.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

What is the best play mat currently? I used to have a grip mat that I loved but after taking it out of storage it is too warped to play on.

Serious answer: I love the official FFG playmats, personally. I can't suggest them since there are more inexpensive options out there but if you don't care, go get one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What was that site that did custom mats? I'd like to grab a big hires tropical beach image and do a cool Scarif thing

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

What was that site that did custom mats? I'd like to grab a big hires tropical beach image and do a cool Scarif thing

I think it was www.inkedgaming.com

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
Flew a game with Kylo in the Silencer and it felt great. Paired with Swarm Leader Omega Ace and two Relay Episilons he did incredible work without being shot at once.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Uggghhh

Just traveled down to Sydney for the tournament tomorrow. Popped into the shop where it's going to be held. Everyone is playing lists with Assaj + something or multiple Wookies.

My fragile rear end Imp alpha list is looking like a bad idea. At least with Nym, Jos and BSA my harpoons are reloading when something dies.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Currently spitballing ideas for using the assault gunboat. My current idea is thinking about really taking advantage of the titles to circumvent the Weapons Disabled tokens that comes with SLAM/Reloading. I'm also sticking to generic pilots, as one of the generics actually has an EPT :cry-wing: and only Vynder's ability is slightly interesting (there are ways to circumvent weapons disabled with the Gunboat). I haven't decided much, but I know that I'll only put Adv SLAM on the Os-1 gunboats because they really need to be able to focus/TL to fire missiles. I think that 2x torp or missile would be good because it'd allow for a little bit of shooting and then cycling the reload action, although it's probably also a terrible idea. I could probably comfortably fit 2x of these types of gunboats in a list as heavy hitters.

I'm not particularly happy with the Xg-1 title, as there's not much outside of jamming/tractor or flechette cannons which have good synergy with the title, which limits the absolute damage output the ship can do (and it doesn't have the ability to fire both primary and secondary). You could take the title as a ~tax~ and add Linked Battery with HLC, but I still feel like the title really encourages the use of SLAM in this case, with the linked battery allowing for at least 1 reroll (haha). I think that maybe 1 generic with the EPT as some kind of dick support with Jam or Tractor, alongside a bunch of other higher PS fighters to take advantage of the stressing capabilities.

e: also I still love fuckloads of naked interceptors so my ideas are often really terrible

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Uggghhh

Just traveled down to Sydney for the tournament tomorrow. Popped into the shop where it's going to be held. Everyone is playing lists with Assaj + something or multiple Wookies.

My fragile rear end Imp alpha list is looking like a bad idea. At least with Nym, Jos and BSA my harpoons are reloading when something dies.

Imp Alpha does pretty well against Asajj. She is gonna die turn one, probably before she shoots.

Triple Wookiees are also not too bad. Turn one: kill one. Turn two: zip forward and try to bump into the remaining. Turn three, you'ure behind them. Quad wookiees kinda sucks tho

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm really enjoying flying Kylo in a Silencer with a couple of Nu HLC gunboats. I already won against a triple tactician wookie list, but it was a close thing. Has anyone tried them with missiles? Would it fare better say, against quad wookies? My local meta is full of those things.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Talas posted:

I'm really enjoying flying Kylo in a Silencer with a couple of Nu HLC gunboats. I already won against a triple tactician wookie list, but it was a close thing. Has anyone tried them with missiles? Would it fare better say, against quad wookies? My local meta is full of those things.

Harpoon Missiles are a godsend against Wookiees. Dealing an extra 2-3 damage from the splash to the group makes it way easier to kill them once your missiles are gone.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
And with gunboats, the missiles aren't ever gone until the ship is

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Imp Alpha does pretty well against Asajj. She is gonna die turn one, probably before she shoots.

Triple Wookiees are also not too bad. Turn one: kill one. Turn two: zip forward and try to bump into the remaining. Turn three, you'ure behind them. Quad wookiees kinda sucks tho

Most Asajj lists put Countermeasures on her, so she'll shed one of the TLs, and they probably did an Evade action. And she'll probably pop Glitterstim. So 3 dice + unlimited focus + an evade token means she's probably only taking 6ish damage on the high end.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyonero posted:

Most Asajj lists put Countermeasures on her, so she'll shed one of the TLs, and they probably did an Evade action. And she'll probably pop Glitterstim. So 3 dice + unlimited focus + an evade token means she's probably only taking 6ish damage on the high end.

Yeah countermeasures is where that breaks down. Around my parts, most people don't do countermeasures on her: they run her light. EPT + Latts + maybe glitterstim

Anyway, lists with Countermeasures in general are real bad for imperial alpha strike lists.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah countermeasures is where that breaks down. Around my parts, most people don't do countermeasures on her: they run her light. EPT + Latts + maybe glitterstim

Anyway, lists with Countermeasures in general are real bad for imperial alpha strike lists.

I'm dropping the Inquisitor and adding this.

Rho Squadron Veteran (21)
Deadeye (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Advanced SLAM (2)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Won't die from one bad roll, reload, laughs at countermeasure and can run like a coward if needed.

Might drop the title for EM. Will consider over pancakes.

Quick question. If you don't have a TL, focus or evade do you keep your jam token until you get one and discard it?

Raged fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 8, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yes. That’s how jam works

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Kylo in the Silencer is fun, I'm just not sure "Backdraft" and "Omega Leader" are the best pairing for him, but it's a fun list and I don't mind it

Poe/Rey on the other hand feels... actually kinda good????

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I plan to quote Spaceballs constantly when using the Star Wing.

"I've been jammed!"
"Raspberry... there's only one person who would DARE give me the raspberry!"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Has there been any innovation in Dash tech in the past few months? I assume Super Dash is still Good?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Has there been any innovation in Dash tech in the past few months? I assume Super Dash is still Good?

Lone Wolf + Rey + Outrider + HLC is super good, but is more vulnerable to donut-holing due to the resurgence of aces.

Standard Super Dash (PTL + Kanan, etc) is still super good, too, but less common because Lone Wolf Dash is better/more efficient in most lists.

I'm curious to see if Super Dash kinda comes back since aces are hitting the tables again.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This is the trophy we are playing for today

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

This is the trophy we are playing for today

You better win that thing, then use it as a shield token on Thweek

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Good luck, also any streams?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

Good luck, also any streams?

Onyx squadron YouTube page. 1st round probably won't kick off for 45 min

ConfusedUs posted:

You better win that thing, then use it as a shield token on Thweek

Everyone here got a good laugh out of that.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Ah Cool, just found onyx Squadron last week actually, they do good streams with good commentary.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tested out this tonight:

2x PS2 Y-Wings with Ion Turret, title, Flight-Assist Astromech
Jess Pava with R3-A2, Integrated
Ezra (Sheathepede) with Elusiveness, M9-G8, Weapons Engineer

I don't think this is quite the right combo, but holy poo poo that Ezra did work. Gave the Ys a ton of re-rolls on the approach. Switched to the enemy ships after the joust and kept the rest of them alive. It was Real Good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

Tested out this tonight:

2x PS2 Y-Wings with Ion Turret, title, Flight-Assist Astromech
Jess Pava with R3-A2, Integrated
Ezra (Sheathepede) with Elusiveness, M9-G8, Weapons Engineer

I don't think this is quite the right combo, but holy poo poo that Ezra did work. Gave the Ys a ton of re-rolls on the approach. Switched to the enemy ships after the joust and kept the rest of them alive. It was Real Good.

Swap the droids on Jess and Ezra.

Also, Elusiveness is bad.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Elusiveness on Ezra is like permanent glitterstim.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I blew goats today no big horrible trophy for me. 1-4 I would be grumpy with myself, but I knew I was flying a list I had never flown before. Still should have done better. Played 2 guys that were top 2 and 4 at nats and those were close as hell.

Highlights:

1. I want to take an Imp Gunboat to bed get it pregnant and make it my wife. Star of my list. I ran a missile variant and shooting a missile(not blowing the TL), then next turn moving one forward reloading and firing again owns. Slam shenanigans with the title are the good kind of wrong.

2. I blew up a couple of silencers, but played right Klyo is just as slippery as astroglide.

Going to test out some Kylo, Gunboat + something at a very small tourney this week for a tiny tourney coming up next weekend and either practice that until regionals in Feb/March or try to build something that counters Kylo (stress lots of it).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Waiting for squad builder apps to update is the worst first world problem

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Speaking of which, here's a list I might try:

"Crimson Leader" (29)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Crossfire Formation (2)

Nien Nunb (29)
Snap Shot (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Ello Asty (30)
Trick Shot (0)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I've never actually taken Ello Asty before, so I'm excited to try it out :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress Miranda Nym forever.

That is all.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Speaking of which, here's a list I might try:

"Crimson Leader" (29)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Crossfire Formation (2)

Nien Nunb (29)
Snap Shot (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Ello Asty (30)
Trick Shot (0)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I've never actually taken Ello Asty before, so I'm excited to try it out :v:

Ello Asty is a kick in the pants with Intensity also.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Here are a couple of the lists that made the top 8 that you don't see every day.

REBEL (100)
Chewbacca YT-1300 (56)
Predator + Rey + C-3PO + Glitterstim + Smuggling Compartment + Countermeasures + Millennium Falcon

Captain Rex TIE Fighter (14)

Bandit Squadron Pilot Z-95 Headhunter (15)
Proton Rockets + Guidance Chips

Bandit Squadron Pilot Z-95 Headhunter (15)
Proton Rockets + Guidance Chips

REBEL (100)
Chewbacca YT-1300 (50)
Lone Wolf + Rey + C-3PO + Millennium Falcon

Kashyyyk Defender Auzituck Gunship (25)
Wookiee Commandos

Kashyyyk Defender Auzituck Gunship (25)
Wookiee Commandos

Also lots o Thweek with a bid

Raged fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 9, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Swap the droids on Jess and Ezra.

Also, Elusiveness is bad.

No, and it's not on that ship.

Ezra TLs two ships with M9, re-rolls for friendlies or against enemies. Elusiveness forces a re-roll against an enemy and turns on his ability. It's p. good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nah, it's pretty bad. Rage/recruit, for instance, powers him up more, and giving him the stressbot doubles your stress dealing capability. Stressbot and Gunner quadruples it.

And you keep broadly the same amount of rerolls for the party.

Heck, Gunner and a 0 point EPT is the same cost as Elusiveness and Weapons Engineer, and way way better.

Elusiveness being at its best on Ezra doesn't mean it's good, any more than Daredevil being at its best on Oicunn or Expose being at its best on RAC means either of those is better than terrible.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah, it's pretty bad. Rage/recruit, for instance, powers him up more, and giving him the stressbot doubles your stress dealing capability. Stressbot and Gunner quadruples it.

And you keep broadly the same amount of rerolls for the party.

Heck, Gunner and a 0 point EPT is the same cost as Elusiveness and Weapons Engineer, and way way better.

Elusiveness being at its best on Ezra doesn't mean it's good, any more than Daredevil being at its best on Oicunn or Expose being at its best on RAC means either of those is better than terrible.

Counterpoint: Why is turning Ezra into the poor man's stresshog preferable to giving a total of 4 rerolls a turn on the Y-Wings?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
The problem with r3-a2 on Ezra is that he doesn't get to use his pilot ability until after he shoots at ps5. Elusiveness makes him significantly tougher to kill for ships that are higher pilot skill.

By itself its not going to win you the game by itself but in combination with other rebel ships like lohwrick and captain rex you start to reach a critical mass where it gets really hard to kill anything.

In theory I think he will be really good in variations on the old 4 ship rebels but I'll be testing it for sure.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterpoint: Why is turning Ezra into the poor man's stresshog preferable to giving a total of 4 rerolls a turn on the Y-Wings?

Because rerolls on arc locked BTLs are only useful if they're poionting at things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
What makes the Phantom 2 so good?

• Locked thread