Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

prefect posted:

Isn't Arkham a lunatic asylum? Is she crazy?

All of Batman's rogues gallery goes to Arkham, crazy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

Doesn’t Penguin go to Blackgate?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Doesn’t Penguin go to Blackgate?

Pretty sure. Or at least he used to. He's just a mobster with a penguin fetish.

I thought Arkham was more for special cases like the criminally insane and those needing special containment.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kwyndig posted:

Not true.

Catwoman was locked in Arkham for over a hundred murders she didn't commit, but took the rap for to protect a friend. Everyone should be reading King's Batman.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought Arkham was more for special cases like the criminally insane and those needing special containment.

The Gotham District Court has ruled the definition of "insane" to include "willing to fight Batman more than once".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Or "willing to appear in public wearing that."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well, a gal who dresses up like a cat clearly has issues.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

Depends on how you feel about cat hoarding.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

prefect posted:

Imagine a woman running along rooftops, robbing houses and businesses while doing a rhythmic gymnastics routine, all while dressed in a literal cat suit. Imagine that in real life. In reality, you wouldn't even question it.

In Gotham, she's joined by her boyfriend, a kung-fu master vigilante who also has an animal themed costume. They have fought an aligaor man, a penguin fetishist, two killer clowns, an immortal warlord and a shapeshifting mud man. I think Gotham's per capita crazy might just tip the scales a bit.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

bunnyofdoom posted:

another note: Damien has pitch black coffee, whereas Jon has no coffee. Most kids I know, if they drink coffee, drink it with milk and sugar if possible, whereas Damien is doubling down on his whole grim darkness thing.

Whereas Batman clearly has his coffee with milk.

Well yeah, milk is a great source of calcium and vitamin d, helping your bones stay healthy for the fight. Batman doesn't take milk because it tastes sweeter, he does it because it's practical.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also cools down the coffee to drinkable levels faster because Batman doesn't have time to scorch his tongue or wait for coffee

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

CzarChasm posted:

Imagine a woman running along rooftops, robbing houses and businesses while doing a rhythmic gymnastics routine, all while dressed in a literal cat suit. Imagine that in real life. In reality, you wouldn't even question it.

In Gotham, she's joined by her boyfriend, a kung-fu master vigilante who also has an animal themed costume. They have fought an aligaor man, a penguin fetishist, two killer clowns, an immortal warlord and a shapeshifting mud man. I think Gotham's per capita crazy might just tip the scales a bit.

Also kleptomania is a real condition recognized by psychologists.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Also kleptomania is a real condition recognized by psychologists.

Yeah, but I doubt the go-to treatment is locking the klepto in a hellish madhouse filled with murderers and lunatics.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Arkham is funded by Bruce Wayne with the clear goal of providing a revolving door for his foes. He's no hero. He keeps people around to fight to justify his fetishes and to never have to face his own issues.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

ecavalli posted:

Yeah, but I doubt the go-to treatment is locking the klepto in a hellish madhouse filled with murderers and lunatics.

i dunno sounds pretty american to me

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

ecavalli posted:

She's also broken out of everywhere else at least twice.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sounds to me like they have a better record at keeping her in than Arkham then. :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ecavalli posted:

Yeah but she's a woman so that's the first place she goes anyway. She's lucky they didn't lobotomize her.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Arkham is funded by Bruce Wayne with the clear goal of providing a revolving door for his foes. He's no hero. He keeps people around to fight to justify his fetishes and to never have to face his own issues.

Oh, that's right, 'Lock-Up' never actually happened in the comics, did it? That one guard being as crazy/rear end in a top hat as any of the inmates.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I think it was Living Hell where the billionaire financier gets himself judged not guilty by reason of insanity, the judge is laughing his rear end off and sends him to Arkham as a “gently caress you, I lost my pension too thanks to you, rear end in a top hat.”

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Let's be clear - an asylum would probably be a sensible place to put them, and the intent was probably to show Batman was kind and thoughtful enough to help his enemies get treatment. Except, duh, comics run forever for some dumb reason, which means in order to maintain the status quo the baddies have to escape, which over the long term makes it look like that's the point of Arkham.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TheCenturion posted:

I think it was Living Hell where the billionaire financier gets himself judged not guilty by reason of insanity, the judge is laughing his rear end off and sends him to Arkham as a “gently caress you, I lost my pension too thanks to you, rear end in a top hat.”

And then Joker locked him in a freezer, he got frostbite, his nose fell off and he filed down his teeth and started calling himself "the great white shark."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

My favorite part of that was when Joker met the guy in the shower.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

And then Joker locked him in a freezer, he got frostbite, his nose fell off and he filed down his teeth and started calling himself "the great white shark."

It wasn't the Joker, it was Jane Doe, a villain Slott invented for the miniseries. Her MO is that she has no identity of her own and compulsively murders other people to steal their lives and identities using uncannily good disguises.

It's good stuff. I reread it recently and while it falls apart a little towards the end with the introduction of Etrigan and the literal demons from Hell, the first issue is an especially tight and compelling bit of horror writing in the universe.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Keeshhound posted:

I believe it was also strongly suggested to him that he find a big bad, and come to an 'arrangement' for his own protection. So he winds up becoming Two-Face's 'Coin boy.'

Android Blues posted:

It's good stuff. I reread it recently and while it falls apart a little towards the end with the introduction of Etrigan and the literal demons from Hell, the first issue is an especially tight and compelling bit of horror writing in the universe.

I thought the story would have been way better if they'd kept it utterly mundane.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Fantastic.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Android Blues posted:

It wasn't the Joker, it was Jane Doe, a villain Slott invented for the miniseries. Her MO is that she has no identity of her own and compulsively murders other people to steal their lives and identities using uncannily good disguises.
The thing I really liked about Raising Hell was how Slott created all these new villains who felt like established Batman villains.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

I thought the story would have been way better if they'd kept it utterly mundane.

Me, too. It's still great comics in the end but I don't think the demonic ritual business served the overall themes very well.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing I really liked about Raising Hell was how Slott created all these new villains who felt like established Batman villains.

Right? You find yourself wondering when these characters first appeared, they're introduced so naturalistically. The flashback origin of Humpty Dumpty featuring Batgirl chasing him down is a really inspired touch, because it feels like exactly the sort of thing that would happen if he was an existing Batgirl villain being retooled and like the last thing that would happen if he was newly invented for the story - and yet he is.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Totally agree. It goes completely off the rails once it swings into the occult.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dog Kisser posted:

Let's be clear - an asylum would probably be a sensible place to put them, and the intent was probably to show Batman was kind and thoughtful enough to help his enemies get treatment. Except, duh, comics run forever for some dumb reason, which means in order to maintain the status quo the baddies have to escape, which over the long term makes it look like that's the point of Arkham.

If your plan is to make Batman look kind and thoughtful, you have already lost.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

If your plan is to make Batman look kind and thoughtful, you have already lost.

TAS pulled it off several times

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Android Blues posted:

Right? You find yourself wondering when these characters first appeared, they're introduced so naturalistically. The flashback origin of Humpty Dumpty featuring Batgirl chasing him down is a really inspired touch, because it feels like exactly the sort of thing that would happen if he was an existing Batgirl villain being retooled and like the last thing that would happen if he was newly invented for the story - and yet he is.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea. That part is so perfect.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Calaveron posted:

TAS pulled it off several times

TAS strats are different. Human writers can't just boost the sympathy meter by pressing up and down at the same time and perfectly clip through a wall directly to the heartwarming finish every time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Doc Hawkins posted:

TAS strats are different. Human writers can't just boost the sympathy meter by pressing up and down at the same time and perfectly clip through a wall directly to the heartwarming finish every time.

That's a pretty good one, actually

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Reminder that the best Batman story is entirely about an alternate Batman who runs Arkham Asylum and rehabilitates every villain he arrests while dealing with rear end in a top hat staffer Jonathan Crane.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Killer Croc trying his hardest to keep being a good person... it's a great story.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

Reminder that the best Batman story is entirely about an alternate Batman who runs Arkham Asylum and rehabilitates every villain he arrests while dealing with rear end in a top hat staffer Jonathan Crane.

What's the name of it?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Kai Tave posted:

What's the name of it?

Batman of Arkham

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

kujeger posted:

Batman of Arkham

It's a pretty great story. I'd love to see a continuation that kept up the same level of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Evil Mastermind posted:

I enjoy these panels but Jokers unibrow is just... unsettling. I want to start whistling the Ed Edd & Eddy theme.