Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

evilweasel posted:

This is going to be a thing today:

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/939157386635472896

I watched the video, and the summary is accurate: she says he signed it and the message is all him, but she made notes under his signature. Doesn't say when (I assume at the time, but the lack of clarity in the statement in the video will be used to suggest it was recent).

I thought we knew this already. Didn't the wapo article talk about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-07/u-s-household-wealth-hits-record-96-9-trillion-last-quarter

quote:

U.S. Household Wealth Hit Record $96.9 Trillion Last Quarter

U.S. household wealth in the third quarter rose to another record, driven by a stock-market surge and rising property values, figures from the Federal Reserve in Washington showed Thursday.

HIGHLIGHTS OF HOUSEHOLD WEALTH REPORT (THIRD QUARTER)
  • Net worth for households and non-profit groups rose by $1.7t q/q, or 1.8%, to $96.9t from a downwardly revised $95.2t, according to Fed’s financial accounts report, previously known as flow of funds survey
  • Value of financial assets, including stocks and pension fund holdings, increased by $1.4t to $78.9t
  • Household debt increased at a 3.7 percent annual rate after 3.8 percent in the second quarter
  • Household real-estate assets rose by $444.1b; owner’s equity as share of total real-estate holdings climbed to 58.6% from 58.3%

Key Takeaway

The gain in the value of financial assets reflects a 4 percent rise last quarter in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index, which is hovering near a record high this month. Households also benefited as house prices climbed 6.2 percent in September from a year ago, the most since mid-2014, based on S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller 20-city data.

The spike in net worth bodes well for the purchasing power of those Americans who own stocks and homes, which will help underpin household spending, the biggest part of the economy.

The report also showed companies had an all-time high $2.4 trillion in liquid assets, up from $2.3 trillion in the previous quarter and giving them the means to boost investment.

Other Details
  • Mortgage borrowing advanced at a 2.7 percent pace; other forms of consumer credit, including auto and student loans, climbed at a 4.9 percent rate
  • Total non-financial debt grew at a 6.2 percent annual pace, the fastest since the fourth quarter of 2015
  • Federal government obligations jumped an annualized 10.3 percent, the most since the final three months of 2015
  • State and local government debt fell at a 0.1 percent pace, the third quarterly decline, while business borrowing increased at a 5.4 percent rate
If I'm reading this right (I doubt I am perfectly):

If you remove stocks and similar financial assets ($78.9T) that leaves you with 18 trillion in net worth. I'm guessing that's property/homes and cash/cash-equivalent assets but maybe there's more in there. Anyway you're left with 18 trillion between non-profits and ~360 million people. There must be a missing figure in my math, I guess I don't know how big a footprint non-profits make in our national net worth.

Also lmao at companies holding $2.4 trillion in liquidity. Good thing we're passing a tax bill to increase that, they're sure to be creating jobs with it any day now ...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I watched the video, and the summary is accurate: she says he signed it and the message is all him, but she made notes under his signature. Doesn't say when (I assume at the time, but the lack of clarity in the statement in the video will be used to suggest it was recent).

lol welp guess Moore is winning, this sinks so much poo poo. lol though at Trump's "where we have so little margin for victory already" admitting that even with majority house they can't even loving pass basic poo poo

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Not if Wikileaks is a news organization.

Under no circumstances will the us government ever declare WikiLeaks to be a news organization.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Liquid Communism posted:

We hold soldiers in literal war zones pulling security against populations known to harbor armed insurgents to more stringent rules of engagement than our police dealing with the US public.

There were a shitload of solders who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan saying that they were both taught way more de-escalation methods than cops and were required to use them around when Mike Brown died. I mean, I'm sure they've been saying that since but that's when I first saw it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Did she claim that they were his originally? If not, then I fail to see the problem. It isn't proof of anything and it won't change any minds. Alabama's electorate is baked in at this point.

I believe that the initial news conference strongly implied or said outright that the entire thing was him. I didn't look at it to confirm.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Under no circumstances will the us government ever declare WikiLeaks to be a news organization.

hahahahaha

*catches breath*

hahahahahhahaha

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Sounds like they're just getting out in front of part of it not being his before they have a ~*handwriting expert*~ confirm the signature is his later today.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/939161605593583620

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

lol welp guess Moore is winning, this sinks so much poo poo. lol though at Trump's "where we have so little margin for victory already" admitting that even with majority house they can't even loving pass basic poo poo

The yearbook inscription was used to disprove Moore's "I DON'T KNOW THIS JEZEBEL WHORE" claim. This "revelation" doesn't disprove that he knew her; all it does is give people who are already voting for Roy Moore something to scream impotently about for the next couple days.

Phoix posted:

Sounds like they're just getting out in front of part of it not being his before they have a ~*handwriting expert*~ confirm the signature is his later today.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/939161605593583620

They wouldn't do this if the inscription--the actual incriminating part--was fake.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: doublepost

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Plus outlets aren't trumpeting context-free headlines about this like they did with the Comey letter

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

The yearbook inscription was used to disprove Moore's "I DON'T KNOW THIS JEZEBEL WHORE" claim. This "revelation" doesn't disprove that he knew her; all it does is give people who are already voting for Roy Moore something to scream impotently about for the next couple days.

They wouldn't do this if the inscription--the actual incriminating part--was fake.

Eh I think any part of it being real is incriminating since he's gone so hard on absolutely not knowing her.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Im pretty ignorant to how the US Police works, but isnt Internal Affairs the licensing body?
No. IA is internal to the individual departments. I'm going to briefly bring up my own professional circle. I'm currently a registered nurse, a license given to me by the state of Pennsylvania after I passed a national certifying exam. I earned the right to take that test by graduating from an accredited nursing school, which incidentally earned me a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing. That's mine, no matter what, and is completely separate from my RN. My RN license I have to renew every three years by demonstrating that I have taken some amount of continuing-education credit (this is relatively small and an actively practicing nurse will probably be able to fill the requirement without difficulty simply by in-hospital mandatory training sessions.) I cannot practice nursing in any other state, however, I am moving to TN very soon, so I applied for a TN RN license by mailing some forms into their Board of Nursing that broadly amounts to "hey, PA says I can practice my RN license, can I practice in TN too?". (Some states have made reciprocity agreements that allow you to practice in their state if you have another state's license). Theoretically, TN runs a background check on me, checks my school's accreditation to make sure it matches up with TN's standards, and then decides whether PA's endorsement is good enough for them. This includes a questionnaire that reviews whether any state board of accreditation (not just nursing) has ever revoked, suspended, or investigated any license (such as my expired EMT-B license). It can also include an opportunity for information on any differences in state practice acts, but I don't think there are any states that are drastically different enough that it matters. TN was fine with it, so I know have two, completely different, RN licenses, that each require renewal every three years. If either state BoN investigates me, I am required to report it to any other state I also have a license through. I also have an additional certification that I earned after taking another exam and worked in a critical care environment for at least two years. It gives me no extra legal abilities or rights, but does broadly say "this nurse has worked in an ICU and, at least on paper, knows what the gently caress they're doing". That has to be renewed every two years and requires a fuckton of continuing education, but isn't issued by a state board so it is good in every state. Mostly, it helps with hiring. If nurses worked like police do, I'd graduate a nursing school, then get hired by a hospital system probably directly running the nursing school. I'd have to take internal exams and training, then...nothing. No state-level review at all, or even a review of the nursing school's standards. AFAIK, I'll admit I'm not that knowledgeable about that process.

So, how I'd envision licensing working is very similar for police. A hypothetical officer goes to a police academy in PA. He graduates and earns the right to take an exam. My EMT-B required both a practical and written exam, my nursing only required written but wouldn't let me graduate if I didn't pass their internal practicals. I don't care what the exam is, but an exam, ideally one that has a separate portion for any state-specific laws that an officer must know. He passes, yay! Now he can work in PA. He has to demonstrate every few years that he has taken steps to continue to be an officer, or alternatively, has to re-test his eligibility. He also gets a certification that says he's really good in some policing thing that's good for resume-building. No idea what, but sure, make it an option, its not significant. He moves to TN, he tells TN that he has a PA license. Their boards talk, he gets a TN license, and maybe has to pass TN's portion of the exam for TN-specific legal poo poo, idk how different they actually are. Oops, he shoots someone's face off while they were lying handcuffed on the ground because he feared for his life. He's acquitted, because gently caress this loving earth, but his TN board of policing also reviews this and says that someone of his temperament isn't suited to be an officer in TN. Now he can't just do the "gets fired and moves one department over" deal, and he also has to tell PA that TN revoked/suspended/investigated his license. Say, maybe TN concludes that shooting handcuffed people in the face is fine, but PA doesn't. At the very loving least he can't work in PA anymore, and if he tries to move to CA, he does have to tell CA why PA decided that he shouldn't be an officer, so maybe he can't work there either.

Oh, and some states are revoking nursing licenses because nurses have defaulted on loans. So yes, in some ways the license system is utter bullshit, but it does provide another level of review that might help, because its at least a level that isn't stuck under the horrible system where prosecutors' jobs depend on the officers they're supposed to indict.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 8, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Moatman posted:

There were a shitload of solders who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan saying that they were both taught way more de-escalation methods than cops and were required to use them around when Mike Brown died. I mean, I'm sure they've been saying that since but that's when I first saw it

That's what my family members who are vets keep saying, too. They're pretty upset by that video, despite being right-wing fucks.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Phoix posted:

Eh I think any part of it being real is incriminating since he's gone so hard on absolutely not knowing her.

Exactly my point. He wrote in her yearbook, which means any claim to not knowing her is faker than a 3-dollar bill.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Exactly my point. He wrote in her yearbook, which means any claim to not knowing her is faker than a 3-dollar bill.

Its not about what it proves about reality, it's if it will provide a fig leaf for republicans to support moore enough to put him over. These are not people who carefully weigh evidence.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Moatman posted:

I'm wondering where the ex-soldier cops are in that case since police departments absolutely love to recruit from people freshly out of the military. I can only think of maybe a couple incidents offhand where the cop was ex-military and de-escalated the situation versus the normal track of 'shoot first, shoot fast, and let IA deal with the corpse'.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm thinking any Republican that will come home over this was doing it in the privacy of the voting booth regardless.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/939128910649884672

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Bhaal posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-07/u-s-household-wealth-hits-record-96-9-trillion-last-quarter
If I'm reading this right (I doubt I am perfectly):

If you remove stocks and similar financial assets ($78.9T) that leaves you with 18 trillion in net worth. I'm guessing that's property/homes and cash/cash-equivalent assets but maybe there's more in there. Anyway you're left with 18 trillion between non-profits and ~360 million people. There must be a missing figure in my math, I guess I don't know how big a footprint non-profits make in our national net worth.

Also lmao at companies holding $2.4 trillion in liquidity. Good thing we're passing a tax bill to increase that, they're sure to be creating jobs with it any day now ...

About 1 trillion of that liquidity is a handful of tech companies.

Off the top of my head:
Apple: 250 B
MS: 100 B
Google/Alphabet: 100 B
Qualcomm: 75B

There are a few other big names that are all sitting on tens of billions in cash right now.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Can we loving call it collusion yet? Because that's what it loving was.

There's a piece in the New Yorker about how collusion isn't technically a crime, so the two things they could be done for are receiving foreign contributions in the form of wikileaks emails, and something like encouraging the hack of the dnc.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Its not about what it proves about reality, it's if it will provide a fig leaf for republicans to support moore enough to put him over. These are not people who carefully weigh evidence.

Those people have already gone back to Roy Moore long before this.

Doug Jones' fate has already largely been determined, win or lose. There are no real undecideds left in this race.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm wondering where the ex-soldier cops are in that case since police departments absolutely love to recruit from people freshly out of the military. I can only think of maybe a couple incidents offhand where the cop was ex-military and de-escalated the situation versus the normal track of 'shoot first, shoot fast, and let IA deal with the corpse'.

like, I'm not saying police procedures and training in America aren't garbage, but much like with normal non-heinous governmental agencies, you don't hear about most of the times they do their job correctly

a good America would be an America where police officers never make the news unless they're, like, rescuing a kitten from a burning tree

(the hell-timeline america is the one where we go "oh, another black man murdered by police, must be Tuesday")

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Here's one where an ex-military police officer tried to de-escalate a suicide-by-cop situation and was fired for it, does that count? (Other officers from his department shot the guy in the head anyway)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/11/us/wv-cop-fired-for-not-shooting--lawsuit/index.html

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Those people have already gone back to Roy Moore long before this.

Doug Jones' fate has already largely been determined, win or lose. There are no real undecideds left in this race.

I don't believe there are people undecided about, if you shoved them into a booth, who they'd vote for. I do believe there are people undecided or swayable about if they're going to vote or not.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GreyjoyBastard posted:

like, I'm not saying police procedures and training in America aren't garbage, but much like with normal non-heinous governmental agencies, you don't hear about most of the times they do their job correctly

a good America would be an America where police officers never make the news unless they're, like, rescuing a kitten from a burning tree

The issue isn't cops loving up (although that is a huge thing), it's cops loving up and not seeing any repercussions for it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Generally the guys who get out of the armed forces and want to be in a position of armed authority over civilians are the last people you want doing that job.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Here's one where an ex-military police officer tried to de-escalate a suicide-by-cop situation and was fired for it, does that count? (Other officers from his department shot the guy in the head anyway)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/11/us/wv-cop-fired-for-not-shooting--lawsuit/index.html

That's one of the cases I was going to bring up that I remembered offhand, yeah.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The issue isn't cops loving up (although that is a huge thing), it's cops loving up and not seeing any repercussions for it.

oh yeah totally

I still like that proposal from somewhere where if a police officer kills somebody he doesn't get to carry a gun anymore

easy, clean, and if a department winds up with more officer kills than desk jobs something is clearly Horribly Wrong with the department

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gang members join the military to get training. wonder if they ever end up as cops.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

i am harry posted:

There's a piece in the New Yorker about how collusion isn't technically a crime, so the two things they could be done for are receiving foreign contributions in the form of wikileaks emails, and something like encouraging the hack of the dnc.

Yes I read the same thing. And I think they better pass a law shutting this down because a foreign entity sharing intelligence (that isn’t stolen) to tip an election to one party isn’t a crime but should be.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/939157000822362112

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

evilweasel posted:

I don't believe there are people undecided about, if you shoved them into a booth, who they'd vote for. I do believe there are people undecided or swayable about if they're going to vote or not.

I think this is the most important thing for people to remember going into 2018 and 2020: it's not about flipping Republicans. It's about getting people who'd vote for a Democrat to actually vote, and/or getting people who'd vote for a Republican to stay home. Undecideds (at least, in any meaningful number) are a myth.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

They get fired for not killing people

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-ex-marine-fired-w-va-officer-failing-shoot-article-1.2790284

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

What? Why would it be illegal for DOJ to use this?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Something something dossier discredited as garbage something something liberal conspiracy something something witch hunt something something HILLARY!

I'm very versed on this since I listened to Jim Jordan scream gibberish at a beleaguered CNN reporter this morning. She tried.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

This is probably all the headlines will scream about today, even with the evidence the press conference is presenting. I really hope I'm wrong.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao this is the weakest poo poo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vladimir Putin posted:

It's part of the "obama tapped my house/microwave" alternate storyline that actually seems to be the first thing on earth that trump ever (mostly) dropped talking about after saying it. It's the idea the steele documents were false and then used by obama to justify wiretapping trump.

• Locked thread