Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Call me when the rest of the media starts covering it. This isn't like the Comey poo poo, that was wall-to-wall coverage across the entire media landscape when it dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Today in "undoing every single thing Obama did in office"
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/939181802777907201

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the economy is not doing good for the majority of americans.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

CNN and MSNBC aren't even talking about the story--their websites don't even mention it. Everything is either Russia or the sexual harassment allegations that have been flying in all different directions.

Only place it's mentioned is the usual shitholes--Fox, Drudge, and Breitbart.

Yes, in hindsight, she should have pointed out the part she wrote, but to anyone with a brain, the inscription proves Roy Moore knew her.

Accounts from back in Gadsden from multiple people prove he was a loving pervert. If you are operating with any good faith at all you are putting two and two together. The only way this would actually have changed any minds that were not already changed would be if she had actually faked the inscription.

E: NYT and WaPo have also completely ignored the story. My goodness, it seems like the only publications that care are the trash ones :allears:

Well, that does seem to be the biggest issue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I've lost a lot of faith in humanity.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If Moore wins it's not because of this "story" it's because Alabama is a shithole.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vladimir Putin posted:

It’s always been an economic indicator regardless of what Trump says. When the economy is doing good it’s doing good.

:eng101: "doing well"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Cool, how's the wage gap doing?

The wage gap is not an issue that is, generally speaking, considered part of if the economy is strong or not. It is instead a political problem. You can argue that the general view on what a strong economy is is wrong, but you can't really be a smarmy rear end in a top hat to people using the generally accepted understanding.

That's also because generally wage growth lags low unemployment and is one of the later results of a strong economy.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TGLT posted:

they never believed the victims in the first place

Except the ones who were arguing that dating 14 year olds is no big deal anyway

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Unemployment is 4.1% which honestly speaking is so freakishly low that it’s almost unheard of. Compare that to several EU countries where it’s > 10% or close. Average earnings per hour up 2.5% for the year.

That’s pretty loving good.

I mean that unemployment rate is probably the lowest I’ve seen it since the Clinton administration (Bill not Hillary). It’s freakishly low.

It's heartening to me that the unemployment rate is this low and yet Trump is still batting around the lowest approval ratings of his administration.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

Except the ones who were arguing that dating 14 year olds is no big deal anyway

I mean yeah, unfortunately there is also that group. edit: Basically though, I suspect anyone who was looking for an excuse to vote for Moore found theirs a while ago.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DreamShipWrecked posted:

loving lol at Fox News then. How do the news writers even sleep at night.

On a bed made out of money

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

:eng101: "doing well"

Thank you. I meant to say doing well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

I've spoken with a couple friends in DC and I've gotten some mixed opinions on the Jerusalem change. Some people are happy with it, some aren't, one guy said he thought the change was necessary because we were never really committed to the two state solution and neither was anyone else and it's better than pretending to give a poo poo.

So yeah, reactions are surprisingly mixed.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who has a family in Israel and asked him on his thoughts. He said that he had mixed feelings. Firstly he knows that Trump did what he did even though he doesn't give a flying gently caress about Israel and that Netanuahu is probably going to use this to distract from whatever and needs to go. My buddy is fairly left leaning and believes that Religious Jews need to get out of politics because they are loving things over for everyone else, the settlements need to stop and the 2 state solution is the only viable option. However, he said that he doesn't hate what Trump did, not because he agrees with it, but because the peace process was stalled, Netanyahu was not interested in pursuing peace but at least this will shake the status quo up and something, anything can happen now. I pointed out that war isn't a great way to shake things up because people usually die in wars which isn't a good thing. He agreed but it seemed he was just frustrated that nothing was happening, and now he is hoping that at least something can happen (of course he is hoping that that something will be a move to a two state solution which I don't think will happen now because Trump is a loving moron). Anyway, that is my report.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So if I'm following this correctly, they're saying she did the inscription all the way back in the 70s, knowing that 40 years later he'd be running for Senate and she could have her revenge/ smear an innocent Christian man. That's extremely impressive long-term planning for a teenager.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

delfin posted:

(Seriously. Tune in now and then. It's good for your brain to try to process flying bullshit of this intensity in small doses.)

No, it's really not good for you or anyone else, even in small doses. It's perfectly fine to avoid that poo poo like the plague.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
And Let It Be Known,

On December 8th, 2017, the #MeToo movement fell to the self-inflicted wound of a accuser who hid information about her supposed evidence.

God Bless Roy Moore forevermore.

AURIBUS TENEO LUPUM

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

evilweasel posted:

The wage gap is not an issue that is, generally speaking, considered part of if the economy is strong or not. It is instead a political problem. You can argue that the general view on what a strong economy is is wrong, but you can't really be a smarmy rear end in a top hat to people using the generally accepted understanding.

That's also because generally wage growth lags low unemployment and is one of the later results of a strong economy.

My main point is that "lots of people are working!" tells very little of the story when so many of those people are working jobs that pay them poo poo and offer them no benefits. Someone having a job isn't much of an endorsement of an economy where working full time doesn't provide them with enough income to pay their bills. I realize it's a departure from the accepted view of "better job numbers = good" but I think 8 years of willing the political upside of low UE into existence for Obama has resulted in some people losing focus on reality.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/939189419386470401/photo/1

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Well, that does seem to be the biggest issue.

Except that they were operating in bad faith yesterday and already Moore supporters. The notion that the victim and her allies hosed up because they gave people who wanted to disbelief them a flimsy excuse to do so weeks into a situation where they were clearly already disbelieving them is just so ... argh!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Who gives a gently caress about unemployment numbers, simply having a job doesn't put you in a good position. It means next to nothing.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheScott2K posted:

My main point is that "lots of people are working!" tells very little of the story when so many of those people are working jobs that pay them poo poo and offer them no benefits. Someone having a job isn't much of an endorsement of an economy where working full time doesn't provide them with enough income to pay their bills. I realize it's a departure from the accepted view of "better job numbers = good" but I think 8 years of willing the political upside of low UE into existence for Obama has resulted in some people losing focus on reality.

You want to look at consumer spending since that's a main driver of the economy and takes into account both wages and marginal propensity to consume.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bragging about a 45% approval rating is pathetic. Weak. Sad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheScott2K posted:

low unemployment is better than high unemployment

high wages are better than low wages

handily, sustained low unemployment generally leads to higher wages

would you at least accept "improved economy" rather than "good economy"?

edit

Majumbo posted:

You want to look at consumer spending since that's a main driver of the economy and takes into account both wages and marginal propensity to consume.

I can't be assed to figure out per capita but it's gone very steadily up for the last five years

fake edit:

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.CON.PRVT.PC.KD?locations=US

outside of the recession per capita household consumption has been going up since 1970

as I recall wages are also generally-up, just, you know, way way less for the lower quintiles and way more for the top

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 8, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Who gives a gently caress about unemployment numbers, simply having a job doesn't put you in a good position. It means next to nothing.
Boomers grew up in an era where min wage was effectively much higher and people had much fewer debts, so at that time, it definitely meant more. Since they also poisoned everything, it means that so many measures of success are measured through that lens as well.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I actually posted that when before I knew about the story of the yearbook addendum. So now it's official.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

There was a story the other day that 40% of the US's wealth is now owned by the top 1%. gently caress your "employment" and your "economy" our brothers and sisters are still suffering.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

What poll is that? I can't even find it

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone

Pollyanna posted:

Unemployment is low cause everyone is working 2 lovely jobs

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Except that they were operating in bad faith yesterday and already Moore supporters. The notion that the victim and her allies hosed up because they gave people who wanted to disbelief them a flimsy excuse to do so weeks into a situation where they were clearly already disbelieving them is just so ... argh!

I don't think she hosed up at all, she didn't do anything wrong. I really want to think that everyone who's said it is right, people who'd be "convinced" by this have already decided.

I just don't want to see a repeat of the Comey Letter as the day goes on.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 8, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rinkles posted:

I've lost a lot of faith in humanity.

i just mean this won't change anybody's mind. this'll just allow people living in fantasyland to support their delusions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's heartening to me that the unemployment rate is this low and yet Trump is still batting around the lowest approval ratings of his administration.

the current economic indicators and trump's approval rating are completely destroying a lot of models on how the economy dictates presidential popularity

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

RiggenBlaque posted:

What poll is that? I can't even find it

I want to say it's from like January lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

we don't have high wages. the average worker makes about 1/3 of what they should be making.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Collins, you know what you must do: take this Administration down out of revenge.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not if they're a case of discouraged workers leaving the labor market.

quote:

Not if it's a case of high end outliers deceptively raising averages

quote:

In America, employers will spend $500,000 making their recruiting site more colorful before offering someone $10,000 more in salary or giving existing employees a raise.

quote:

I'll concede "might get better if it's not the product of a bubble" and basically nothing else in the face of improving UE numbers.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Bragging about your 45% approval rating (in a bullshit poll)? Sad!

:jerkbag:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

This poll is either fake or old as hell.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Donnie, the poll can't hear you, the numbers aren't going to go up just because you shout at them.

...or is 45% supposed to be "good"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Vladimir Putin posted:

New jobs report shows a very strong economy. Say what you will, I’m happy about that.

CNN reported it so it's obviously fake news.

• Locked thread