Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Innagorillasuit
Jul 24, 2009

aniviron posted:

Can you post a screenshot? That doesn't sound right at all.

I will when I get home.

Necrosaro posted:

Do you have the showing only clan or IS mechs up top, also trial and owned mechs. Little buttons in the top right of the mech bays.

Pretty sure I had All, Both, and Owned/Both, but I'll double check tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Innagorillasuit
Jul 24, 2009

It's showing all my old mechs now, I'd swear that last night when I had it displaying by class or chassis that it not only wasn't it showing all the mechs I owned, it wasn't showing all of the trial mechs either. Now to discover that all these old builds are poo poo in the current game.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Stalkers are still pretty solid IMO, high mounts never go out of style.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Atlas D-DC hasn't changed much, at least. Max the torso armor, standard 360, ECM, 3 ASRM6, UAC20. The UAC20 was probably just a normal AC20 last time you played, but that's about the only change. Even now that thing is consistently good in pub games. Stalkers are pretty decent too, but you'll probably have to rejig the builds a lot more.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

The Atlas D-DC hasn't changed much, at least. Max the torso armor, standard 360, ECM, 3 ASRM6, UAC20. The UAC20 was probably just a normal AC20 last time you played, but that's about the only change. Even now that thing is consistently good in pub games. Stalkers are pretty decent too, but you'll probably have to rejig the builds a lot more.

I would not pick the UAC20, it jams way too much.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's down to preference. The UAC20 does jam sometimes and it's more prone to spreading damage but the fact that you're making GBS threads out 40 damage on a double tap makes it worth it imo. The regular AC20 just feels anemic and the HG doesn't have the ammo and is prone to exploding.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

It's down to preference. The UAC20 does jam sometimes and it's more prone to spreading damage but the fact that you're making GBS threads out 40 damage on a double tap makes it worth it imo. The regular AC20 just feels anemic and the HG doesn't have the ammo and is prone to exploding.
I understand why you pick the UAC20, I use it myself on other mechs. It's just that the strength of the Atlas is in the fire-twist-fire since all your weapons sync up with cooldowns and range and you have incredible arms to shield with. With a UAC20 you lose this sync and I feel you are not utilizing the strength of the Atlas.

It's the same with the VTR-9S, 3xSRM6-A, 1xAC20. When the new tech was released I changed it to a LFE+UAC20 but it doesn't really work together with the twisting and the SRMs. Too many times I've twisted towards the enemy only to only being able to fire the SRMs, then the UAC20 goes off jam right when you are at max twist away from the enemy. The potential damage output of the UAC20 is higher than the AC20 but together with other weapons I feel it puts a limitation on the mech (for builds that do twist-fire-twist together with SRMs).

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I did the same thing as you on the Victor and went back to standard AC20 + SRMs, but I prefer the Ultra on the Dadlas. The Atlas' torso twist is so sluggish that I rarely have a problem getting two volleys off while twisting.

There's also a really cool feature on the UAC20, which is that double tapping isn't mandatory. Sometimes, I don't do it when it's more important to twist, so I just fire, then twist. The cooldown is long enough that it's not uncommon for me to be able to twist back and get a second shot off before the UAC20 is done recycling anyway. I get what you're saying about the standard AC20 for twisting, but putting far more damage downrange means my opponents are less likely to want to face me (or be alive) which in turn impacts my survival a lot more than twisting slightly earlier or clustering my damage a little tighter.

I'd also say that on the AS7-S it's probably worth sticking with the standard AC20 since you've got the extra SRM to bridge the damage gap, but on the DDC a standard AC20 with three SRM6s is really not a lot of firepower for an assault, so I stretch that as much as possible.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=17&l=01eee06d6ebf2efa3935e2d2d08fbcc024aaf426

If you're going to use an ultra, may as well use mrms so you have better range while you jam your main weapon.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
historically the AC/20 on Dadlas variants was always the first thing to get murked, so maybe a UAC/20 to get more out of it might work?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MRMs just don't have the DPS and spread up close that you need though. I tried that, and I do really like MRMs (they're fun not good) but it didn't work for me.

I've been finding that people don't really know to target the AC20 side of the Atlas first anymore, or just don't care because there are much scarier mechs on the field now. But with 87 mechs in the game it's hard to blame people for not knowing which torso on every mech to gank first unless it's glaringly obvious like a Hunchback.

Also players who are actually good against Atlases just shoot for the big head dome which all counts as CT and is impossible to miss; chewing through 200 extra points of health is a mug's game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok you Mechromancers, design me a mech!

But only a Dragon! I will not ride in any other inferior platform.

Also only 5N or 1C cause I ain't giving PGI a cent and I didn't keep the 1N.

I got a decent amount of dosh back from my modules so money shouldn't be too big a thing.

I'm riding around in this DRG-5N Dragon Brawl Z which is basically the same build I ran before only with heavy machineguns, slightly less leg armor and 1 less heatsink. Still fun though.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 7, 2017

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Bring a UAC10, 2x snub noses, and an XL300. Preferably on the 5n because its got great UAC quirks.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=23&l=03b61681bbdf0664c41a54ae1b123eee4808b993

You should probably bring an extra heat sink instead of the rocket launcher. But I like rocket launchers because literally every other heavy outguns you and you need that extra "gently caress you" button for the one fight youre going to be in before you die.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Great Beer posted:

You should probably bring an extra heat sink instead of the rocket launcher. But I like rocket launchers because literally every other heavy outguns you and you need that extra "gently caress you" button for the one fight youre going to be in before you die.

I agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ljtZJ9g5zo

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Ah, the Rocket Lawn Chair
:allears:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Pattonesque posted:

historically the AC/20 on Dadlas variants was always the first thing to get murked, so maybe a UAC/20 to get more out of it might work?

I took out my reward atlas 3 days ago, I got off 2 alphas against a direwolf and then my AC/20 blew the gently caress up. 10/10
I understand why you would put an UAC/20 on the Atlas but personally I want that old school style, you either wreck face or get wrecked.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

Survival is worth is on every mech, with the exception of some lights. I'm going to post the graph again!

Don't skip the survival tree!

I can't let this go. Fully specced for survival (all armor hardening nodes) the Atlas, a 100 ton mech, gets a blistering extra 7, yes folks you read that right SEVEN, extra torso armor for only 26 skillpoints! ITS A STEAL PEOPLE, for only 28.5% of your skillpoints you too can survive getting hit by a glancing strike from a heavy large laser.
Speccing any mech without armor quirks for full survival is a complete waste of skillpoints.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, so you're wrong. Wrong on the basic math, and about the overall impact of the survival tree.

To begin, full Armor Hardening gives you 10% on an assault mech, which adds up to 12.4 extra CT armor on an Atlas (124x0.1). Also, you're completely ignoring Structural Density, a massive boon for a heavily structure quirked mech like the Atlas. The full 25% boosts your CT structure 23.25 points (62+31x0.25). That's not 7 extra CT health, it's 35.65 or 217 vs. ~253. That's less a glancing laser hit and more like three extra PPCs to the chest before going down.

Fair's fair, though, those numbers are with full armor and structure quirks, which costs a minimum of 32 skill points. Your post sets an investment of 26 so let's look at that. For an Atlas with that budget, you'd want this Survival Tree. Yes, it's 2 points over, but 26 is not an efficient investment with how the nodes are laid out. Anyhoo... on an Atlas that gives us the following benefits,

CT Health goes from 217 to 250.17. That's still a gain of more than 30 hitpoints on your center torso, about 15% more.
Full effective HP goes from 1076 to 1240.62, again that's roughly a 15% boost to overall tankiness.

I could go on, and on, but the bottom line is that Survival is one of the best places to spend your skill points on nearly all mechs, beaten only by Firepower and, depending on your heat limits, Operations.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 7, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

Okay, so you're wrong. Wrong on the basic math, and about the overall impact of the survival tree.

To begin, full Armor Hardening gives you 10% on an assault mech, which adds up to 12.4 extra CT armor on an Atlas (124x0.1). Also, you're completely ignoring Structural Density, a massive boon for a heavily structure quirked mech like the Atlas. The full 25% boosts your CT structure 23.25 points (62+31x0.25). That's not 7 extra CT health, it's 35.65 or 217 vs. ~253. That's less a glancing laser hit and more like three extra PPCs to the chest before going down.

Fair's fair, though, those numbers are with full armor and structure quirks, which costs a minimum of 32 skill points. Your post sets an investment of 26 so let's look at that. For an Atlas with that budget, you'd want this Survival Tree. Yes, it's 2 points over, but 26 is not an efficient investment with how the nodes are laid out. Anyhoo... on an Atlas that gives us the following benefits,

CT Health goes from 217 to 250.17. That's still a gain of more than 30 hitpoints on your center torso, about 15% more.
Full effective HP goes from 1076 to 1240.62, again that's roughly a 15% boost to overall tankiness.

I could go on, and on, but the bottom line is that Survival is one of the best places to spend your skill points on nearly all mechs, beaten only by Firepower and, depending on your heat limits, Operations.

I really like you, do you have some kind of alert when I post so you can swoop in and shut me down? The link you posted to the survival tree is wrong so I can't see it but I did ignore/kind of forgot about structure and only focused on armor so that's where I went wrong. I haven't skilled my Atlas out completely yet so I'll check it out with the skills you posted/will post. To be honest I always forgot about structure so eeeh thanks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fixed the link in my post, here it is again.

I browse low activity threads via bookmarking and control panel cause stuff falls off the front page so quickly, especially in Games.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

Fixed the link in my post, here it is again.

I browse low activity threads via bookmarking and control panel cause stuff falls off the front page so quickly, especially in Games.

Sweet, thanks, I'll try it out for sure. And I was just joking about the alert thing, I know the sitting at work constantly hitting F5 feeling my man.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

I took out my reward atlas 3 days ago, I got off 2 alphas against a direwolf and then my AC/20 blew the gently caress up. 10/10
I understand why you would put an UAC/20 on the Atlas but personally I want that old school style, you either wreck face or get wrecked.

The biggest thing you can do is put critshields with good hp in that section to soak up damage going to the ac. Before newtech I was a proponent of BAPs; the most efficient weight->internal HP ratio is two half tons of gauss ammo(which doesn't explote if hit).

I swear it makes a difference.

fake edit:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment its been changed a bit. half ton of gauss ammo = 5 hp, 1 ton = 10. Bap is 7.5, so is the TC1&2

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=241&l=92241e469a0a3437c4be17d154c79bfca6bf0f0b give something like this a shot. Wierd engine is due to critlocking. You can swap the uac20 for a ac20 and a 350 and shave for sinks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Q_res posted:

Oh god no, it's still PGI, pre-ordering is a suckers bet. I just can't see how that qualifies as terrible by any reasonable measure.

Last page and a week ago but it bears bringing forward.

The MW5 stuff looks promising but based off past failures alone (Transverse anyone?) under no circumstances should anyone pre order when the opportunity arises.

Buy it when it comes out if it's any good. If it comes out.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheParadigm posted:

The biggest thing you can do is put critshields with good hp in that section to soak up damage going to the ac. Before newtech I was a proponent of BAPs; the most efficient weight->internal HP ratio is two half tons of gauss ammo(which doesn't explote if hit).

I swear it makes a difference.

fake edit:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment its been changed a bit. half ton of gauss ammo = 5 hp, 1 ton = 10. Bap is 7.5, so is the TC1&2

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=241&l=92241e469a0a3437c4be17d154c79bfca6bf0f0b give something like this a shot. Wierd engine is due to critlocking. You can swap the uac20 for a ac20 and a 350 and shave for sinks.

Now this is my poo poo, I had no idea that this was a thing. I only have a AS7-D-DC due to the reward but I've been looking into buying a AS7-S since it can do 4 SRM6's instead of just 3.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TjyvTompa posted:

Now this is my poo poo, I had no idea that this was a thing. I only have a AS7-D-DC due to the reward but I've been looking into buying a AS7-S since it can do 4 SRM6's instead of just 3.

My opinions have been previously established as outdated and garbage, but the AS7-S with 4 SRM6 and the AC/20 has been consistently fun every time I've given MWO another go. Once you're in range stuff just falls apart in front of you. Feels good, man.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Anyone that still plays this game, tonight is brawling night. That means SRMs and ballistics, preferably AC/20, UAC/20, LBX20. NO GAUSS, not even heavy gauss, everyone must be able to make a great BOOM on alpha, no piddly "twoink" when firing the guns.

List of allowed mechs:
TBR (1xLBX20, 4xSRM6-A, the OG Beefy build)
ON1-IIC-A/C (A being obviously the supreme choice, 1xLBX20, 4xSRM6-A)
MAD-IIC-SC (Overpowered as hell)
MC-II-2/DS (no gauss losers allowed, yes that is you Illvatu, build a real mech)
CP-10-Q (6xSRM6-A, 1xSRM4-A)
VTR-9S (AC/20 + 3xSRM6)
AS7-S/D-DC
MDD (splatdog, no streakdogs!)
SCR (splat...)
LBK (splat...)
WHM-6R/BW (2xLBX20)
HMN-P/PA (6 missile slots)

I won't assume that more than 3-4 people will show up, including me, so we'll probably be good on weight but on the off chance that people actually show up we're going to need some light brawlers too so:

ASN-21 (4xSRM4+JJs, 4xSRM6)
ACW-1/2 (Never ever seen a goon in one of these but I do have a 4xSRM4, 4xSRM6 ACW-1 and it is pretty fun to take out once in a while)
BSW's
CN9's
GRF-2N (4xSRM6-A)

Buuuut if you show up in another mech I'll allow it because so few people still play the game :cry:

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
I'll be there, what time (Eastern)?
I actually spotted a Commoners in the wild last night as I was urbanmeching it up.
I'm Thaumaturge BTW.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Corn Burst posted:

I'll be there, what time (Eastern)?
I actually spotted a Commoners in the wild last night as I was urbanmeching it up.
I'm Thaumaturge BTW.

Sweeet, get on the discord dude, we've been missing you.
I am not sure about time, we usually start early since we're euros but from around 3-4PM eastern there should be people around. Me (BeefySupreme) and Cluncho will be there for sure. We're actually quite active, got a small group going pretty much every evening of 3-4 people especially now that there's the 24 days of events.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

Sweeet, get on the discord dude, we've been missing you.
I am not sure about time, we usually start early since we're euros but from around 3-4PM eastern there should be people around. Me (BeefySupreme) and Cluncho will be there for sure. We're actually quite active, got a small group going pretty much every evening of 3-4 people especially now that there's the 24 days of events.

Ok gently caress it I'm reinstalling tonight. It's been around 9 months, time to dip my toes in the pool again.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Alchenar posted:

Ok gently caress it I'm reinstalling tonight. It's been around 9 months, time to dip my toes in the pool again.

Nice dude, I remember you! Get on the discord, link is in the op. Me and cluncho are already here but we're gonna wait until like 20:00 CET/2PM EST so we can play late and not get burned out until all the americans wake up.
Edit: get on early, you will have like at least an hours work putting skills on a couple of mechs or even changing builds depending on what it is.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 8, 2017

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
no love for snub nosed PPCs?

Don't snub the snub.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

A.o.D. posted:

no love for snub nosed PPCs?

Don't snub the snub.

Too hot for brawling! Don't even try to make a point, show up in a Real Mech.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The brawling event has started boyos! We got 5 people already so uuuh hope you got medium brawler mechs

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TjyvTompa posted:

Anyone that still plays this game, tonight is brawling night. That means SRMs and ballistics, preferably AC/20, UAC/20, LBX20. NO GAUSS, not even heavy gauss, everyone must be able to make a great BOOM on alpha, no piddly "twoink" when firing the guns.

Aww gently caress why did you have to do this on the one night when I can't. :[ I wanna brawlrobots! With even just 3-4 people you can force the entire rest of the game into a brawl.

Also, what if you are using the sound mod that someone (Zaku? I think?) made so Gauss and HG don't sound noodly? :colbert:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Joined Discord for brawlin' for a while. No mic right now but I can listen along if someone will auth me in Discord. Need to figure out how to group up with you guys; I just got back into this last week after a few years away!

Figured it out :hurr: and I'm in now!

Riller fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 8, 2017

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The ASN-21 is really really good. It's pretty much all I play these days. Speed like a light, armor and punch like a heavier mech, small profile, great grouping and location on the hardpoints.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Just logged on after a year of not playing, what in the gently caress is this new skill system, why are there somehow MORE kinds of xp, :pgi:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Trip report, game still bad but fun, Cent still good

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Ash Rose posted:

Trip report, game still bad but fun, Cent still good

The centurion has been doing excellent all night. Before you joined smallandblue was tearing assholes right and left with his 1xac/20, 3xsrm4 build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

TjyvTompa posted:

The centurion has been doing excellent all night. Before you joined smallandblue was tearing assholes right and left with his 1xac/20, 3xsrm4 build.

I am running the classic 3 SRM6 and 2 ML, Not sure what it is but it seems so much more precise at focusing damage on components from when I last played.

• Locked thread