Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kobayashi posted:

My theory is that the initial spike was caused by an influx of smart Wall St. money when the BTC futures market was announced, and that this week’s bullshit is a combination of dumb, me-too Wall St. money and general mania from the public. But who knows.

No, it was caused by the massive influx of fake money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

fishmech posted:

https://i.imgur.com/N2iqLgG.png
https://i.imgur.com/IvwPRnr.png

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Everyone please remember John McAfee said he'll eat his dick on national television if bitcoin doesn't hit $1m by 2020. I really don't want him to be able to pretend he didn't promise that.

https://diegorod.github.io/WillMcAfeeEatHisOwnDick/

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
About 50 years from now two young American boys will be walking through the dilapidated ruins of our now great American society...And they'll come across a couple of old geezers who call them young whippersnappers for having been born in the distant almost unmemorable past year of 2017.

"Ah yes 2017!" They'll say.

"I remember that year." Will say another.

"Well that was the year that Bitcoin got so popular!" Says a third.

"Ah bitcoin...yeah...Bitcoin. I remember it like it was only yesterday." Starts off the first old geezer. "You trade it and make some money, then you trade i lost some money, then you traded it and made some money only to lose it all over again and finally when all was said and done you got all your funds stolen when your exchange was hacked by it's owner."

"Oh yeah!" the last one will respond "But some of us got rich...at least...for the couple of months it took for the nuclear war to hit."

And those young american boys will think we're all crazy.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

No I didn't edit the captions.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

fishmech posted:

How is it always dumber than I think possible?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bitcoin's official tagline might as well be 'The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent'.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

a reminder that bitcoin once had a large bitcoin owner try cashing out, which started crashing the price of bitcoin, and so the community's response was to throw tons and tons of money at this dreadful "bearwhale" and save their beloved currency's value

and they celebrate this

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

So, the way you all are talking... is the crash this weekend or early next week?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Paladin posted:

So, the way you all are talking... is the crash this weekend or early next week?

Mu.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Doesn't one group control more than 50% of the bitcoin mining power? Meaning they can gently caress with the sanctity of the blockchain if they don't like how things are going for them?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

It's so beautiful watching a literal undergrad textbook example happen in real time.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

PJOmega posted:

It's so beautiful watching a literal undergrad textbook example happen in real time.

The textbooks will have to draw the peak going higher, faster now

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

pr0zac posted:

Everyone please remember John McAfee said he'll eat his dick on national television if bitcoin doesn't hit $1m by 2020. I really don't want him to be able to pretend he didn't promise that.

https://diegorod.github.io/WillMcAfeeEatHisOwnDick/
If this country really were great again there'd be a way to legally force this man to eat his own dick when the time does finally come

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

The textbooks will have to draw the peak going higher, faster now

We're like 1 month away from bitcoin beating Tulip Mania.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MiddleOne posted:

We're like 1 month away from bitcoin beating Tulip Mania.

How does bitcoin even compare to tulip mania?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Star Man posted:

How does bitcoin even compare to tulip mania?

Yeah, comparing tulips to bitcoins is an insult to tulips.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the best examples of businesses running perfectly well with good PR, and then they kill their golden goose in the belief of a better profit margin, and then they lose all goodwill and ironically end up out of pocket.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the best examples of businesses running perfectly well with good PR, and then they kill their golden goose in the belief of a better profit margin, and then they lose all goodwill and ironically end up out of pocket.

Recent example that comes to mind is Konami with Metal Gear and pachinko, though I'm not sure how drastic the fallout of that was in practice.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Gazpacho posted:

This diagram gets quoted a lot. Is there any empirical basis to it, or is it just "here's how I reckon bubbles work"?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

outlier posted:

This diagram gets quoted a lot. Is there any empirical basis to it, or is it just "here's how I reckon bubbles work"?

If you're looking for strong empirical foundation then I'm afraid economics is not the field you were hoping for.

Also, that graph gets quoted a lot because that's in broad strokes how almost every speculatory bubble in the last 200 years has manifested. Now while correlation does not imply causation I think the ship has sailed on where bitcoin is falling on the precedent side... :v:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 8, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Well Patreon just pissed off a lot of people, so we'll see if they do an about face or live with a number of people unsubscribing.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

outlier posted:

Benoit Mandelbrot wrote some stuff about the mathematics of financial markets.

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cmon guys. At least you could take delivery of a tulip.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

outlier posted:

it's a diagram showing the stages of a typical bubble, not a model or anything

the empirical basis would just be analyzing past bubbles and identifying common stages

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

boner confessor posted:

it's a diagram showing the stages of a typical bubble, not a model or anything

the empirical basis would just be analyzing past bubbles and identifying common stages

That is a model, what do you think models are?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i mean, not a model that generates output or anything. a static model

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You're correct about that particular diagram. But one can generate dynamic outputs from some static diagrams. This is probably a derail nobody but me cares about so I'm going to stop.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Doesn't one group control more than 50% of the bitcoin mining power? Meaning they can gently caress with the sanctity of the blockchain if they don't like how things are going for them?

I doubt anyone who has bitcoin actually cares about blockchain technology.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Depends on what you mean by golden goose: products or people? In 1996, AT&T laid off 13% of its employees company-wide while it was profitable to appease investors. Productivity took a hit and some of the employees had to be hired or contracted back.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
At this point does it just make sense to take whatever Bitmillions you have and just, like, withdraw $500 a day or something?

Nno one's going to get away with taking their dragon's horde of digital bits and pumping them straight into a Scrooge McDuck moneybin, but can't they at least get some funds out of that?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shorting bitcoin reminds me of the documentary betting on zero. dude takes a short position on herbalife since it's 1000 percent a pyramid scheme and logically should get crushed but it never happens and to this day herbalife is still trucking along.

how patreon is loving up:

https://gizmodo.com/why-everyone-is-mad-at-patreon-now-1821120304

they're changing how they charge patrons which costs the patron more (so when you pledge a buck they charge you a buck and change). so people are canceling their donations in droves.

their most recent round of vc funding pegged their value at 450 million (they only bring in 8 million a year lmao).

i just found out their founder is the guy from that absolutely poo poo band pomplamoose (who famously somehow lost money on a tour after crowdfunding 100k).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIr8-f2OWhs

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 8, 2017

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I was in bitcoin a while ago for pretty much the only 1-year period where it didn't go up. Lost most of them to a hack, lost the rest trying to short the market.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GrandpaPants posted:

Well Patreon just pissed off a lot of people, so we'll see if they do an about face or live with a number of people unsubscribing.

Tell me more, please- save me from the btctide.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Tell me more, please- save me from the btctide.

They are now charging 35 cents per pledge/donation, so people who have a ton of 1$ Patrons immediately lose almost 30% of their revenue.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Not knowing much about it, wonder how much of people dropping pledges is from "gently caress the new fee structure" and how much is from people reading about Patreon fees and thinking "oh yeah, patreon, I should cancel that pledge for that podcast I never listen to anymore" or whatever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aramis posted:

They are now charging 35 cents per pledge/donation, so people who have a ton of 1$ Patrons immediately lose almost 30% of their revenue.

they're charging 35 cents on top so the creator gets a full dollar, the fee used to come out of the creator's cut. people are canceling because all those dollar pledges became $1.35.

i love how all this vc funding is just a pump and dump scheme.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Some actual numbers:
https://twitter.com/wombatoverlord/status/938849760198447104
https://twitter.com/Burrito_Tim/status/938943641791401986

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Like, why? Patreon is actually a decent thing to come out of the SV bubble: it's way to pay content creators for what they make independently of where they make it and has allowed a bunch of stuff to be funded that wouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nothing to seehere posted:

Like, why? Patreon is actually a decent thing to come out of the SV bubble: it's way to pay content creators for what they make independently of where they make it and has allowed a bunch of stuff to be funded that wouldn't be.
They just got an infusion of sixty big ones by new humanoids who presumably want new revenue?