Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, this is probably the best fit for the criteria. I enjoyed it, though it is definitely more guilty pleasure than high art. The main character is in charge by his own merits, because he is a complete Gary Stu who is the most bestest at everything.

The books in the Malazan series usually, though not always, follow a military campaign around.

Yeah, Malazan is pretty top-tier for military high fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some good fantasy books or series that have war as either a major feature of the book or an extended backdrop? I'm thinking things like the first or second Black Company trilogy, or Grace of Kings? I know that's kind of a broad question, but there's a lot of fantasy out there where there's wars happening but really what's important is our hero faffing about doing his own thing. I'm talking series where the main characters are major players in big regional conflicts and actually feel like leaders that got to where they are because of their own agency (if not skill).

Django Wexler's Magical Napoleonic Wars Shadow Campaigns series might work for you. Some of it is faffing about, some is major players. And once it gets going, Cherryh's Fortress series follows major players in regional conflict. (It starts slow. Stick with it, it's worth it, I promise.)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some good fantasy books or series that have war as either a major feature of the book or an extended backdrop? I'm thinking things like the first or second Black Company trilogy, or Grace of Kings? I know that's kind of a broad question, but there's a lot of fantasy out there where there's wars happening but really what's important is our hero faffing about doing his own thing. I'm talking series where the main characters are major players in big regional conflicts and actually feel like leaders that got to where they are because of their own agency (if not skill).

Glen Cook's The Dread Empire series has lots of warfare, big battles, and battlefield magic. I recommend taking it in chronological order, so starting with The Fire in his Hands you get a desert-based insurgency, a whirlwind of conquest and desperate holding actions, a little military stuff in Shadow of All Night Falling, then some cool campaigns and battles in October's Baby, and All Darkness Met is a huge conquest saga. Then there's even more military stuff in the sequels.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Glen Cook's The Dread Empire series has lots of warfare, big battles, and battlefield magic. I recommend taking it in chronological order, so starting with The Fire in his Hands you get a desert-based insurgency, a whirlwind of conquest and desperate holding actions, a little military stuff in Shadow of All Night Falling, then some cool campaigns and battles in October's Baby, and All Darkness Met is a huge conquest saga. Then there's even more military stuff in the sequels.

This is honestly the most appealing, given it was nostalgia over Black Company that made me ask in the first place.

I've been meaning to read Malazan forever so it's high up the list as well.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, this. The later books in the series especially are very much deconstructions of Heinlein-style "kick the bug-alien butt" SF, and real victory coming only through diplomacy..

Of course Forever War did the same thing better first

Why is it always bugs?

Finished Armor yesterday, and it is another iteration of Forever War and Starship Troopers. Still good, but that entire genre have been kinda beaten to death.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd suggest The Practical Guide to Evil. I'll just quote the description from TV Tropes because it does a good job describing it and the trope thing fits the theme:

quote:

A Practical Guide to Evil is a Young Adult (Allegedly) Heroic Fantasy Web Serial Novel written by erraticerrata. Started in 2015 the book is presently (March 2017) entering the first arc of Book 3; there are 5 planned books. A key element of the setting is that many Heroic Fantasy tropes are enforced by the universe's laws. Black and White Morality is an objective reality with individuals, species and nations that are clearly and unapologetically Evil and Good. Individuals are able to gain superhuman powers and a certain degree of plot armor by embodying certain archetypes or 'Names' (Capital 'N'), most Names are clearly associated with Good or Evil though some are neutral and/or common. Named individuals are both more powerful than normal people (able to kill dozens or hundreds of nameless mooks or red shirts single-handedly) and more important to Fate (i.e. the plot). Fate tends to play out in predictable patterns that can be manipulated by particularly Genre Savvy individuals.

The Series follows the exploits of 17-year-old Catherine Foundling a.k.a. The Squire. Orphaned a few years after her homeland The Kingdom of Callow was annexed by their perennial foe The Dread Empire of Praes following a short and utterly devastating war of conquest Catherine was raised at the Imperial House for Tragically Orphaned Girls. Though she resents the greed and corruption of the imperial governor of her home city she is cynical about the prospects of rebellion, instead planning to join the imperial Legions of Terror in order to improve the system from the inside. However when she manages to impress the Empress' most feared general Black Knight she is offered a chance to join the ranks of the Named by taking the role of The Squire.

But the balance of Good and Evil is reasserting itself. Where previously a new hero might have appeared in Callow once every few years, they are now popping up every few months, a rate that even Black Knight's supremely efficient spy network can no longer keep a lid on. Meanwhile the very reforms that made it possible for the Dread Empire to triumph so completely are stirring unrest among the nobility of Praes who seek a return to the Stupid Evil ways of the Empire's past. To make matters worse the powerful neighbouring Principate of Procer has emerged from the long, debilitating civil war that has crippled them for so long - and are seeking revenge for the Empire's role in prolonging that conflict. As all of this threatens to boil over into a continent-wide war Catherine must navigate her own, and her country's, path through the turmoil.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

A big gently caress off war in which the main characters play major parts is a central plot point of the 3rd book in First Law.

Now I know you might be thinking, "ugh, I got to read 2 books to get to it?" but the trilogy is pretty god drat great and you should be reading it if you haven't already.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Why is it always bugs?

They're a thoroughly dehumanized stand-in for :ussr:, comrade.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

A big gently caress off war in which the main characters play major parts is a central plot point of the 3rd book in First Law.

Now I know you might be thinking, "ugh, I got to read 2 books to get to it?" but the trilogy is pretty god drat great and you should be reading it if you haven't already.

Also, The Heroes, a followup book in the same setting, focuses on a single battle and is pretty good. You could probably just read this and not miss too much

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

At worst you could argue that the narration should have used "they" everywhere.

Leckie said in a Q&A that I went to that she tried using "they" everywhere, but having no way to distinguish singular vs plural they got really confusing, especially when you're already dealing with a single consciousness inhabiting multiple bodies simultaneously. She also said she tried using existing gender neutral pronouns, but she wasn't comfortable writing with them at that time, although she's obviously gotten more so given "e/em/eir" in her latest book.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Is Leckie writing more Radch stuff or is gender neutral characters just a thing for her now?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Patrick Spens posted:

Is Leckie writing more Radch stuff or is gender neutral characters just a thing for her now?

I think Provenance deals with one of the other alien species in the setting so it very likely refers to them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I actually just finished them not long ago. I may give The Heroes a spin though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MockingQuantum posted:

This is honestly the most appealing, given it was nostalgia over Black Company that made me ask in the first place.

I've been meaning to read Malazan forever so it's high up the list as well.

Here you go, the El Murid Wars (yes, you want to start with book 2)

https://smile.amazon.com/Fortress-Shadow-Chronicle-Empire-Bundle-ebook/dp/B006NZ9XD6/ref=sr_1_3

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 8, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

They're a thoroughly dehumanized stand-in for :ussr:, comrade.

I thought it was more :china: than :ussr:. Starship Troopers has a line that's uncomfortably explicit about it.

Robert A. Heinlein posted:

Every time we killed a thousand Bugs at a cost of one M.I. it was a net victory for the Bugs. We were learning, expensively, just how efficient a total communism can be when used by a people actually adapted to it by evolution; the Bug commisars didn't care any more about expending soldiers than we cared about expending ammo. Perhaps we could have figured this out about the Bugs by noting the grief the Chinese Hegemony gave the Russo-Anglo-American Alliance; however the trouble with 'lessons from history' is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

I think Provenance deals with one of the other alien species in the setting so it very likely refers to them.

Provenance is in the Radch universe, but outside Radch space. It deals with a non-Radch human faction that has 3 genders, where the third uses the real-world gender neutral e/em/eir pronouns, even though they are a third gender, not actually gender neutral or nonbinary (as far as I can tell). There is also a Radchaai character, who gets tripped up on the pronouns a lot, but I don't recall which pronoun is used for them.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Christopher Moore was ok in the first book I read by him (blue something), everything I tried reading by Christopher Moore was really dumb, super saccharine, or a combination of really dumb + saccharine.

The cheat code to Doc EE Smith stuff like Lensman series, Skylark series, etc is:
EE Smith's main characters are ALWAYS cardboard stand-ins are perfect supermen, never lose, and are boring as hell.
The really interesting people in EE Smith's books are villains or the side-characters, along with EE Smith's descriptions of big-rear end explosions as asteroids/cities/moons/planets/suns/star clusters/galaxies smash together....EE Smith defined the term "power creep" in pulp scifi stories.

EE Smith Skylark series: Marc DuQuesne is best written human character EE Smith ever did, and DuQuesne is the villain in all the Skylark books.
The Lensmen series has a lensman sidecharacter who invades a enemy fortress planet full of Darkseids + kills them all while the main character is busy doing gently caress-all stopping
a smuggling ring on the other side of the galaxy.

Depending on how much I hate someone, I'd advise checking out Christopher Stasheff's Wizard series not too bad, saint vidicon lurks in your future, the Sten series ahahahahaahahahaha i hate you ahahaha, or Dean Ing's Quantrill series ahahahahahaha holy sweet death I must really hate you.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Orbit Books is doing an AMA on Reddit with a slew of this years' debut novelists. More importantly, their novels are all $2.99/Ł1.99 in US and UK. I've only read the Fifth Ward one, it's a rock-solid meat-and-potatoes fantasy cop story that I thoroughly enjoyed, but the rest of them have very good buzz as well.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Man, I just saw an article headline about Netflix turning Old Man's War into a movie and got all excited, but then remembered it was Forever War that I really liked and was very disappointed.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Man, I just saw an article headline about Netflix turning Old Man's War into a movie and got all excited, but then remembered it was Forever War that I really liked and was very disappointed.

Same

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Hahaha, I too have confused Old Man's War (never read it!) with Forever War. So Forever War is the one I should have recommended in my last post.

e: all I had to do was turn my head and look at my bookshelf too

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Old Man's War doesn't sound very exciting does it? like what are they warring over, model trains?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
They aren't all old men! There are old women too. And they get new young bodies. And have a massive orgy.

Scalzi read a lot of Heinlein.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Megazver posted:

Orbit Books is doing an AMA on Reddit with a slew of this years' debut novelists. More importantly, their novels are all $2.99/Ł1.99 in US and UK.

There you go, for cheap Kings of the Wyld is worth looking at to see if it's your cuppa

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

There you go, for cheap Kings of the Wyld is worth looking at to see if it's your cuppa

Yeah, to give you a full list of what you can get:

Nicholas Eames, author of KINGS OF THE WYLD
Nicholas Sansbury Smith, author of EXTINCTION HORIZON
Antonia Honeywell, author of THE SHIP
David Mealing, author of SOUL OF THE WORLD
Dale Lucas, author of THE FIFTH WARD: FIRST WATCH
Vivian Shaw, author of STRANGE PRACTICE
Anna Smith Spark, author of THE COURT OF BROKEN KNIVES
RJ Barker, author of AGE OF ASSASSINS
Melissa Caruso, author of THE TETHERED MAGE
Fonda Lee, author of JADE CITY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
First Watch was pretty good, but I have a soft spot for fantasy police procedural books.

Strange Practice is pretty good as well. Cover looks like a victorian era romance weirdness book, but it's a modern day urban fantasy about a doctor who specializes in non humans, and some weird poo poo goes down to get her involved in a mystery. I really liked it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 8, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They aren't all old men! There are old women too. And they get new young bodies. And have a massive orgy.

Scalzi read a lot of Heinlein.

The first three books are a direct refutation of Heinlein's Citizens-in-lockstep-with-a-fascist-authority. The lead character, by the 3rd book more or less forces everyone into a diplomatic solution as opposed to a war of extermination. The fourth book was kind of poo poo. He experimented with a tween POV (and basically re-wrote the 3rd book) and failed hard. Like any author he has hits or misses. (Red Shirts, is... ugh.)

I don't get the hate he gets. I mean, I don't think he's the pinnacle of Science Fiction or anything. For example, his characters have one of three voices. Closed Minded Authoritarian, Strong and Competent Woman Who Has No Time For Your poo poo, and Slyly Clever Anti-Authoritarian Snarky McSnarkson. But he write perfectly enjoyable pulp science fiction. He has some interesting ideas. Nothing mind shattering, but kind of cool.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm quite enjoying the Malice so far. I read the Vagrant when it was cheap and forgot it had sequels!

I also picked up something called Autonomous and it was compared to good authors but it's a piece of poo poo don't read it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you mean actual hate, I think most of it comes from the fact that Scalzi is a fairly progressive guy socially so when he was in charge of SFWA lots of vox day's followers decided he was king SJW the first, one edict away from declaring all strong white male science fiction writers be put to death.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

andrew smash posted:

If you mean actual hate, I think most of it comes from the fact that Scalzi is a fairly progressive guy socially so when he was in charge of SFWA lots of vox day's followers decided he was king SJW the first, one edict away from declaring all strong white male science fiction writers be put to death.
Yeah. Scalzi's not SF Words Jesus, but he's pretty decent for the field - he just has a devoted nazi desperately trying to be his nemesis.

His blog's got me to read a lot of cool books I otherwise would have missed.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Nevvy Z posted:

I also picked up something called Autonomous and it was compared to good authors but it's a piece of poo poo don't read it.

I read it as well and I'm still on the fence about it. I'm interested to know what ruined it for you, because drat the whole pharma-pirates working against a crushing world-encompassing corporate oligarchy had so much potential. It could have been good, but the author made so many questionable choices, I could see where one or more of them could completely ruin the book for someone. Especially the cringey sex poo poo. It managed to be more cringey than Heinlein's creepy-old-man sex poo poo, and that takes anti-talent.

I can see why it got praise from her tech-blog buddies though, because it's so crammed with tech the protagonist can't even get into a loving kayak without paragraphs of exposition about how uber-tech this loving kayak is. It's a loving boat, and this book isn't Moby Dick. Get on with the loving story.

After the 1/3 mark the book stopped slogging through landfills of technobabble and picked up speed, so I got through it ok, but looking back I wonder why exactly she kept thrusting us into the antagonist's pov. Was it supposed to be satirical, writing it from the bot's pov as a commentary on how toxic its psychopathic partner's entire worldview is? Or was she actually intending them to be sympathetic? Because gently caress no. The bot itself was only as innocent as an attack dog, and they both murdered merrily along the way. It was pretty loving disturbing, so giving them a happy ending as if we were supposed to have good feelies over that—WTF—because they have feelings? Because he let the protagonist go over those feelings? So do serial killers, Annalee, you idiot. This doesn't excuse them, and neither does their license to kill.

E. It's Annalee

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 11, 2017

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Anyone started the new Expanse novel yet?

That was one heck of a time jump.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Just finished it. It's Fine. Moderately thoughtful middlingly paced middle brow science fiction. Not a lot happens for a book in which a lot happens, if that makes any sense.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
"Shadow Puppets" by Orson Scott Card is a good book

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That'd be a first with him.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Anyone started the new Expanse novel yet?

That was one heck of a time jump.

A 30 year jump and literally everyone is still alive. Even holdens parents

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Stuporstar posted:

I read it as well and I'm still on the fence about it. I'm interested to know what ruined it for you, because drat the whole pharma-pirates working against a crushing world-encompassing corporate oligarchy had so much potential. It could have been good, but the author made so many questionable choices, I could see where one or more of them could completely ruin the book for someone. Especially the cringey sex poo poo. It managed to be more cringey than Heinlein's creepy-old-man sex poo poo, and that takes anti-talent.

I can see why it got praise from her tech-blog buddies though, because it's so crammed with tech the protagonist can't even get into a loving kayak without paragraphs of exposition about how uber-tech this loving kayak is. It's a loving boat, and this book isn't Moby Dick. Get on with the loving story.

After the 1/3 mark the book stopped slogging through landfills of technobabble and picked up speed, so I got through it ok, but looking back I wonder why exactly she kept thrusting us into the antagonist's pov. Was it supposed to be satirical, writing it from the bot's pov as a commentary on how toxic its psychopathic partner's entire worldview is? Or was she actually intending them to be sympathetic? Because gently caress no. The bot itself was only as innocent as an attack dog, and they both murdered merrily along the way. It was pretty loving disturbing, so giving them a happy ending as if we were supposed to have good feelies over that—WTF—because they have feelings? Because he let the protagonist go over those feelings? So do serial killers, Annie, you idiot. This doesn't excuse them, and neither does their license to kill.

You hit a lot of it. The setting had potential that went entirely unrealized. It touched on a lot of interesting sci-fi topics but did so very shallowly. The writing was not good, the story was not good, the characters were not good.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

ianmacdo posted:

A 30 year jump and literally everyone is still alive. Even holdens parents

well it is the future

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

anilEhilated posted:

That'd be a first with him.

Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead were pretty good.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Stuporstar posted:

I think this was the novel I read an except from a month or so ago which was the ahem "nerve-racking" sequence where the robot discovers which of an antagonist's smart devices hasn't been patched and uses it to gain access to I forget what, something important I guess. It was something like 2 pages of an exploit on a smart garden sprinkler and I was reading it thinking, "this is what they picked to tempt people to buy the thing?"

And now I see enthusiastic review quotes from Neal Stephenson, which explains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

After the 1/3 mark the book stopped slogging through landfills of technobabble and picked up speed, so I got through it ok, but looking back I wonder why exactly she kept thrusting us into the antagonist's pov. Was it supposed to be satirical, writing it from the bot's pov as a commentary on how toxic its psychopathic partner's entire worldview is? Or was she actually intending them to be sympathetic? Because gently caress no. The bot itself was only as innocent as an attack dog, and they both murdered merrily along the way. It was pretty loving disturbing, so giving them a happy ending as if we were supposed to have good feelies over that—WTF—because they have feelings? Because he let the protagonist go over those feelings? So do serial killers, Annie, you idiot. This doesn't excuse them, and neither does their license to kill.

Endless exposition about kayaks would be good if the author was a cool smart person but I'm guessing that's not the case here because all science fiction authors are the kind of people who think computer science is 'radical'