Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Copy editing is valuable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

STAC Goat posted:

And you're talking like there's a significant presence of voters who are not only sincerely undecided on this matter but also are going to be swayed by a Fox News headline but somehow weren't swayed by the other Fox News headlines. It makes no sense to me. Fox News was calling it a forgery yesterday. They're calling it a forgery today. If the argument is that good faith uninformed viewers don't read the nuance of a story and will just believe the headlines than why are today's forgery headlines more powerful than yesterdays?

If this were a REAL media narrative I might be more sympathetic to this take, but its not. Its a story making its way around the same places that have spent weeks claiming it was a forgery and Moore was innocent. So who is being exposed to this who wasn't exposed to that and why is this more powerful than the story where "the victim's mother confessed she was told to say it by the Washington Post!"?

I think this is more powerful because it's the victim herself admitting an omission (or whatever you want to call it).

publishko
Feb 16, 2014
If the scoops aren't from the Washington Post or the New York Times then I always wait for additional reporting before getting excited

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Rinkles posted:

I think this is more powerful because it's the victim herself admitting an omission (or whatever you want to call it).

Give a conspiracy theorist an inch and they'll take a mile.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Republicans posted:

Give a conspiracy theorist an inch and they'll take a mile.

You’re missing the point. Why would you give them an inch in the first place, George Soros?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rinkles posted:

They were already claiming that the victims admitted discrediting facts and the RWM has been running headlines and dishonest stories about it. Nothing changes in their approach or message and the entire argument that "the details changed" seems to run directly counter to the idea of "low information voters who don't read stories critically or past the headlines."

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Re: how amazing it is how low Trump’s approval rating is given the state of the economy:

Yeah, how strange that someone who spent an entire campaign screaming about how terrible our economy is and how all the statistics about it are damned lies suddenly can’t get credit for an economy that statistics show is booming.

Something something sowing seeds in the ground you’ve salted...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

morcant posted:

This sounds like a good idea?

Either nothing will come of it, or a lot of defense contractors will suddenly be taking an extended Montenegro vacation

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/939181802777907201

cool.

just lollin at how many pointless petty "victories" your President can score against the American people

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
It amazes me how some folks in the mainstream media still haven’t caught on to the fact that they’re dealing with a president and a movement that literally wants to destroy them. If you get a “scoop”, you’d loving better make sure you have it nailed down six ways from Sunday, because otherwise you're just going to end up giving the enemy more ammunition.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 8, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This is literally a 40 year old Doonesbury strip.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

People who say that right wing lies about the victim's yearbook don't matter because reasonably what she said doesn't discredit her don't remember the Comey letter. That poo poo was nothing and anyone who was reasonably well informed and thought about it knew that. But it still swung the election.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 8, 2017

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edit: Whoops

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

WeAreTheRomans posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/939181802777907201

cool.

just lollin at how many pointless petty "victories" your President can score against the American people

How are they trying to spin this as a good thing, I wonder? Has Breitbart or anyone weighed in? This is just so goddamned stupid and vindictive even for him.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

People who say that right wing lies about the victims yearbook because reasonably what she said doesn't discredit her don't remember the Comey letter. That poo poo was nothing and anyone who was reasonably well informed and thought about it knew that. But it still swung the election.

what was the comey letter about again

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/939201809817665536

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

People who say that right wing lies about the victims yearbook because reasonably what she said doesn't discredit her don't remember the Comey letter. That poo poo was nothing and anyone who was reasonably well informed and thought about it knew that. But it still swung the election.

like 20 things swung the election.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't understand this pivot by the right wing media at all. They loving hate Franken and were practically salivating when this all came out. Now suddenly they are defending him getting a fair shake? Is this literally "how can they not back their guy despite him being a shithead, he is THEIR GUY!" dissonance, or is this because that wapo/cnn piece is on it's way and a lot of repubs are guilty as gently caress of sexual harassment or worse?

the latter, they know moor may/probaly win and they will be stuck with giant evangelical zealot who is also a pedo. plus trent franks and fat gently caress and god knows how many others. as "the party of morality" they are hosed because most of the Moral majority nuts are also sex perverts or worse.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

:thunk:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

did it say why. either way can't blame her.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Was she the Bannonite that McMaster wanted gone for months?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Crow Jane posted:

How are they trying to spin this as a good thing, I wonder? Has Breitbart or anyone weighed in? This is just so goddamned stupid and vindictive even for him.

Getting rid of "pesky" regulations so the airlines can innovate!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ogmius815 posted:

That was a major national mainstream story and a new piece of information (or at least presented as one). They're not the same thing.

Also as far as I know there's also no real evidence that significantly affected the election more than the dozen other things people point to as swinging the election. Because in an election as close as 2016 there are lots of potential things that could have changed it.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Reads like an expected departure without the fun drama, I'm afraid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.d4a65838565a

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Southwest can go back to advertising about competitors' hidden fees I guess? But if anything comes up, its another job-killing regulation that's killing businesses. For, uh, reasons.

Caros
May 14, 2008

stone cold posted:

i mean,

no

like this is a cool publicity stunt but

Push El Burrito posted:

Well cool I didn't know about that.

It really is true that everyone you ever think is good is actually awful.

An accusation that is about four years old at this point, with no corroborating evidence which he vehemently denies. Just for fairness sake.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Burning_Monk posted:

Getting rid of "pesky" regulations so the airlines can innovate!

innovative new ways to gently caress your rear end dry

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

RiggenBlaque posted:

Reads like an expected departure without the fun drama, I'm afraid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.d4a65838565a

That's good, actually, it means we may get a better advent present later in the day.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Caros posted:

An accusation that is about four years old at this point, with no corroborating evidence which he vehemently denies. Just for fairness sake.

do you think he's gonna "hell yeah i raped her".

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

what was the comey letter about again

It informed congress that an unrelated investigation (which turned out to be about Anthony Weiner sexting underage girls, because of course it was) turned up some emails that *might* have been related to the investigation into the Clinton email server (on a laptop Huma had used). This was framed as "supplementing" Comey's testimony to Congress about how there was no criminal conduct resulting from the Clinton email server, but every major news outlet at first ran with some variation on the headline "FBI reopens criminal probe into Hillary Clinton's email".

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

letthereberock posted:

Re: how amazing it is how low Trump’s approval rating is given the state of the economy:

Yeah, how strange that someone who spent an entire campaign screaming about how terrible our economy is and how all the statistics about it are damned lies suddenly can’t get credit for an economy that statistics show is booming.

Something something sowing seeds in the ground you’ve salted...

It's got nothing to do with any of that. It's because he sucks. He sucks so bad that people hate him even when the economy is doing alright. If the economy tanks he'll be at 12% approval.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Caros posted:

If there's no evidence otherwise, always believe the victim.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

In “elected white supremacist news”:

https://twitter.com/stevekingia/status/939117527375990790

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/939198492609843200

lol David Brooks :qq:

get hosed forever

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The only part of the yearbook thing that bothers me is that if (a) Moore wrote the main part and (b) Young Nelson wrote the date-and-time annotation -- and I have no reason to doubt either of those -- why didn't she say that up front, when she was first challenged about it? There's a big difference in presentation between:

VICTIM: This was signed by Roy Moore.
MOORE: That's a lie! Let us see it so that our 'experts' can prove it.
VICTIM: The annotation was written by me. The rest is Roy's.

and

VICTIM: This was signed by Roy Moore
MOORE: That's a lie! Let us see it so that our 'experts' can prove it.
<three weeks pass>
VICTIM: The annotation was written by me. The rest is Roy's.

because that delay makes it look like she spent three weeks trying to come up with an explanation, even if that's not the case.

Most people made their minds up about this election a long time ago, but this may end up being won by a very small margin. Even if this puts doubt in the minds of even a small fraction of the electorate, that's too many.

delfin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Southwest can go back to advertising about competitors' hidden fees I guess? But if anything comes up, its another job-killing regulation that's killing businesses. For, uh, reasons.

I'm just imagining r/TD idiots twisting themselves into pretzels posting "hell yeah, I love paying hidden fees! MAGA!". Who the gently caress wants to give airlines more money, besides airline executives?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:shrek:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

If there's no evidence otherwise, always believe the victim.

Actually the proper maxim is simply "don't discount accusations of rape and sexual abuse out of hand", which is a bit different.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Caros posted:

What does the accusation being four years old have to do with anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

So Cards Against Humanity bought a bunch of land on the border in order to delay the wall. If you bought into it you get multiple letters with little things they've done. Today I got this.

These guys are good dudes.

That's on par with the Chinese factory they hired to do nothing so the workers could have paid time off a few years ago.

• Locked thread