Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

nate fisher posted:

From what I heard on local radio, he wasn’t. Mullen was his #1 hire and he wanted the job, but Mullen kept waiting for UF to hire a coach first. So you can thank UCLA for putting the wheels in motion of this circus.

Not knowing what to do when #1 turns you down is still your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

vikingstrike posted:

Not knowing what to do when #1 turns you down is still your fault.

Or having an awful #2.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I had an awful #2 this morning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Joey Freshwater posted:

I had an awful #2 this morning

But enough about your posting.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

iospace posted:

heyo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dang walked right into that one

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mississippi State has hired Bob Shoop as defensive coordinator.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bo Jackson would be in both the NFL and baseball halls of fame if he hadn't ripped his leg off trying to escape a tackle.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DJExile posted:

Mississippi State has hired Bob Shoop as defensive coordinator.

I just read that the whole Tennessee staff but Robert Gillespie was officially let go last night. Gillespie is the one person I wanted them to keep, so that is good news. He might by a Gator, but he is now the longest football coach at Tennessee (almost 5 years?).

Shoop was really bad for us, but our D did have a ton of injuries. Still we over-payed big time for him.

Other random things:

- John Currie met with Chad Morris last week. He left the meeting three times and then told Morris he thinks he may get fired.
- Currie ignored boosters and fellow employees during the search. He went off on his own.
- Greg Schiano was almost on the plane to Knoxville when he got the call that his offer has been pulled.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 8, 2017

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

That's an interesting hire. Shoop was really good during his two years at Penn State, but Brent Pry ended up being better after Shoop left. So it's sort of interesting the Mississippi State is being made up of former Penn State coordinators.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Let me know if I'm misunderstanding the nature of the UT cluster-gently caress:

On one hand, Fulmer undoubtedly sabotaged his predecessor so he could get the job, which means that by extension he was sabotaging UT itself.

On the other hand, John Currie was Jimmy Haslam's fuckboy puppet... and Haslam is the moronic garbageman who somehow keeps ruining the Browns even more than they already were ruined before he got there, and is probably getting nailed on RICO charges for literally running a truck stop criminal enterprise. Also they thought Greg Schiano was a good idea which just lol.

:jerry:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

iospace posted:

Boom shakalaka

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bo Jackson would be in both the NFL and baseball halls of fame if he hadn't ripped his leg off trying to escape a tackle.

He was very fun but not especially great at baseball.

Football he definitely could have been if he’d just done it full time and stayed healthy. I’m not sure he could have done it playing part time. His career was so short it’s hard to say, something like 10% of his career yards are from 3 runs.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 8, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
There’s just about no way that Pruitt or Fisher live up to their expectations. Unless Saban retires and Smart regresses, A&M and Tennessee are going to be looking for a new coach once their coaches get to mere third-in-Division levels, losing to the best coach in college football history like some kind of loser.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Democrazy posted:

There’s just about no way that Pruitt or Fisher live up to their expectations. Unless Saban retires and Smart regresses, A&M and Tennessee are going to be looking for a new coach once their coaches get to mere third-in-Division levels, losing to the best coach in college football history like some kind of loser.

Well drat we might as well not even play the games then!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UT's staff looks great. Vols being competent all of a sudden annoys me greatly.

e: I thought Shoop was a terrific hire for UT at the time, but hoo boy that just did not work.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 8, 2017

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Shoop and Larry Scott were both awful hires and went a long way to getting Butch fired.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/supash3/status/938979267228073984

Trey is Jimbo's son

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Democrazy posted:

What? Our exceptions are not that high. Right now we just want to get back to beating the teams we should have beaten over the last couple of years (like Vandy, UK, and South Carolina). That was my biggest issue with Butch Jones. After 3 years of that we can start to talk winning our division. Now if we hired Gruden or Gundy I would agree with you.

That said I agree with you about Fisher. I am willing to bet Fisher never wins his division, and given how much hype/money there is noway that is not a major letdown..

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

What? Our exceptions are not that high. Right now we just want to get back to beating the teams we should have beaten over the last couple of years (like Vandy, UK, and South Carolina). That was my biggest issue with Butch Jones. After 3 years of that we can start to talk winning our division. Now if we hired Gruden or Gundy I would agree with you.

That said I agree with you about Fisher. I am willing to bet Fisher never wins his division, and given how much hype/money there is noway that is not a major letdown..

Lol

Gruden would have been loving awful

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Cristobal's been named permanent Oregon HC

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol

Gruden would have been loving awful

I agree. Good chance it would have been a disaster.

I just realized Fisher is only 7 years older than me. I think he looks 20 years older than me.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I keep thinking "Jeff" whenever I see "Fisher" and I'm bummed that no dumbass big program has taken a chance on him yet

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Jimbo having to swear fealty to a loving collie will never not be really drat funny to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Jimbo having to swear fealty to a loving collie will never not be really drat funny to me.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Cristobal, when Norvell was right there?

nate fisher posted:

I have no doubt firing Butch Jones was the right call, and maybe Tennessee has a way more reasonable fan base than I’m assuming. But between bringing back Fulmer getting people thinking about his glory days, hiring a Saban assistant, and having Alabama as their biggest rival, I think it’s going to end up inviting a lot of unfavorable and unfair comparisons.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Sounds like the Oregon players lobbied hard for Cristobal, so good for him. Got a poo poo deal at FIU anyway.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Wow. Sumlin might make it through this offseason without a HC job somehow?

I'd take him as OC/assoc head coach at Tech in a heartbeat.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Democrazy posted:

Cristobal, when Norvell was right there?

I have no doubt firing Butch Jones was the right call, and maybe Tennessee has a way more reasonable fan base than I’m assuming. But between bringing back Fulmer getting people thinking about his glory days, hiring a Saban assistant, and having Alabama as their biggest rival, I think it’s going to end up inviting a lot of unfavorable and unfair comparisons.

Norvell already got an extension, it was basically between Cristobal and Sumlin

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Cristobal at Oregon?

Huh.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I updated the OP. There's only one job left open, Kent State's, from now until the Giants hire Brian Kelly.

18 positions came open this year, which is relatively quiet, but that seems to be because none of the usual mid-major positions came open. 13 P5 is a crazy number. 5 G5 is barely more than background noise.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

kayakyakr posted:

I updated the OP. There's only one job left open, Kent State's, from now until the Giants hire Brian Kelly.

18 positions came open this year, which is relatively quiet, but that seems to be because none of the usual mid-major positions came open. 13 P5 is a crazy number. 5 G5 is barely more than background noise.

Did SMU hire someone?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Louisiana (Lafayette) is also still open I think

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Lot of rumors that Lance Thompson is coming back. If he does that will be 3 Tennessee head coaches he has worked for.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/Tyrellcrosby/status/938960640051253248

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

nate fisher posted:

Lot of rumors that Lance Thompson is coming back. If he does that will be 3 Tennessee head coaches he has worked for.

Well, now we know the weak link of each UT staff.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I can see the logic in retaining Cristobal, but they're gonna want to put some good coordinators around him, because while he was good at FIU, that's a different beast from Oregon and a tough Pac-12 North.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I can see the logic in retaining Cristobal, but they're gonna want to put some good coordinators around him, because while he was good at FIU, that's a different beast from Oregon and a tough Pac-12 North.

Yeah agreed. I don’t love the hire but if he brings in good coordinators (and I assume he’ll be on the relatively cheap end which could help) I think it’ll work out okay. He did a great job building FIU and is a fantastic recruiter. If he can prevent mass transfers and keep their current recruiting class from falling apart that will be big.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Cristobal is exactly what Schiano is/would be, good program/recruiter who can't coach. The whole 70+ players petitioning thing really scares me, that usually doesn't end well.

I'm curious to see how the early signing day wrecks havoc with some of these changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

the players demanded that Larry Coker become coach at The U after Butch Davis left lol

• Locked thread