Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So "Landa remembers Sosannah" is actually the scene? I always figured Landa was just being creepy and had no idea he was driving this nice French lady to hysterics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I could see there being lard, but yeah I don't know where that's coming from.

It's all of us, man, in our pores and in our hair

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krispy Wafer posted:

So "Landa remembers Sosannah" is actually the scene? I always figured Landa was just being creepy and had no idea he was driving this nice French lady to hysterics.

He LOVES loving with people.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont think he ever saw shoshannahs face

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MariusLecter posted:

He LOVES loving with people.

That's a bingo!
https://i.imgur.com/vzsBgvI.gifv

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the whole point of that scene was the ambiguity, the paranoia, and how terrifying a powerful Nazi is for someone who knows she'll be executed if he does remember her.

He flaunts his power over people, and the end is him being on the receiving end of someone who has power over him and doesn't care about the consequences of their actions.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rewatched The Two Towers Extended Edition tonight. While I'd hold Fellowship as the best adaptation of LOTR, Two Towers is by far the best movie in the trilogy from a cinematic standpoint, and I say that including the changes made to Faramir's character.The undercurrent in the film concerning the devastating effects of war cannot be praised enough. One thing I noticed this time around was that the boy Aragorn takes the sword from, Haleth, says he is Hama's son. As in, the Hama who had been eaten earlier in the film by a warg.

But what I do want to talk about is Faramir. The biggest criticism of the film is the side trip to Osgiliath, and I understand that from a book purist's perspective. However, it does not bother me, because I can see that Jackson wanted to draw a parallel between Rohan and Gondor, and tie that into Faramir's parallels with Boromir. Now in the books, Faramir rejects the ring immediately, proving that men can and are still an honorable race that can withstand the corrupting power of evil. In the film, he is tempted, and nearly fails, but finally resolves to let the hobbits go. I actually like the struggle Jackson gives to Faramir in the movie, as I believe that showing his ability to overcome his selfish desires rather than rejecting them outright gives him more depth. Thematically, it makes both him and Boromir closer, but it also mirrors the fate of Rohan, as Theoden spends the entire film resigned to death, until he finally snaps out of his fatalism and resolves to make a stand.

There is also the case for him paralleling Eowyn's role in the film, as both are second children and have issues with their father figures. While Theoden's relationship issue comes from his own fatalism and desire to keep Eowyn safe, Denethor is actively hostile. But what is important is that both father figures create a reaction in their children, and a desire to prove themselves. And by the end, both Faramir and Eowyn are made better by making their own decisions and learning to live beyond the whims or well meant smothering of their father figures.

It is just a goddamn good movie, and unlike Return of the King, it feels like it deserves to be four hours long. King still has great moments, but it dives into excess way too often, and is where I officially mark the point that Hollywood began the obnoxious trend of dragging out single story films into two-part snorefests.

For me, TTT was slightly the weakest of the Trilogy overall but I do think that its extended edition gained the most by far. The other 2 extended editions felt like nice add-ons but IMO TTT extended edition stuff should have somehow been in the theatrical release.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The whole aspect of whipped cream on strudel not being kosher is one very few people would pick up on in the first place. It's a nice subtle addition, but the main thing is the presence of milk in the first place, and the connection to the milk farm.

And the point of the scene either way isn't to solve the riddle of whether Landa remembers Shosanna; rather, it's told from her point of view, and the whole point of it is the ambiguity. She can't be sure if Landa recognizes her, she can't be sure if he's toying with her or just being nice, and she can't be sure if she's going to give herself away by some involuntary reaction. As the viewer, you're being put in that mindset.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

The whole aspect of whipped cream on strudel not being kosher is one very few people would pick up on in the first place. It's a nice subtle addition, but the main thing is the presence of milk in the first place, and the connection to the milk farm.

And the point of the scene either way isn't to solve the riddle of whether Landa remembers Shosanna; rather, it's told from her point of view, and the whole point of it is the ambiguity. She can't be sure if Landa recognizes her, she can't be sure if he's toying with her or just being nice, and she can't be sure if she's going to give herself away by some involuntary reaction. As the viewer, you're being put in that mindset.

That's what I was getting at. This is just one in a line of perfectly normal interactions Landa is having with people that day, but for Shosanna it's the 2nd most terrifying moment of her life.

I guess it's equally possible the Jew Hunter is so good at his job that he approaches every blonde French woman of a certain age as that one that got away.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I really like the drums that kick in when landa magically appears in the cafe

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kaesarsosei posted:

For me, TTT was slightly the weakest of the Trilogy overall but I do think that its extended edition gained the most by far. The other 2 extended editions felt like nice add-ons but IMO TTT extended edition stuff should have somehow been in the theatrical release.

As a counterpoint to what I was saying about Two Towers extended edition being phenomenal, I watched the extended edition of Desolation of Smaug. Holy poo poo that was terrible. Putting the Thrain subplot back into the film was a horrible choice, since it was obvious from the editing in that scene that they didn't have enough footage of Thrain to make it work, which is why the theatrical cut dropped him altogether. And then Thrain's death at the hands of the Necromancer uses a loving wilhelm scream. I love the sound effect but it needs to be in the right place, and definitely not in the middle of a dramatic murder.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
I'm still not clear on why the whipped cream would make the strudel non-kosher.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OutsideAngel posted:

I'm still not clear on why the whipped cream would make the strudel non-kosher.

Cream (dairy fat) is not always kosher. There are two types of cream: sweet cream, which is derived from milk (and is kosher), and whey cream, which is derived from cheese-making. Whey cream is often non-kosher, and the cream in many dairy products can be in the form of pure whey cream or a blend of sweet cream and whey cream.

source - https://oukosher.org/blog/consumer-kosher/retail-dairy-products-whats-hows-and-whys/

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

Cream (dairy fat) is not always kosher. There are two types of cream: sweet cream, which is derived from milk (and is kosher), and whey cream, which is derived from cheese-making. Whey cream is often non-kosher, and the cream in many dairy products can be in the form of pure whey cream or a blend of sweet cream and whey cream.

source - https://oukosher.org/blog/consumer-kosher/retail-dairy-products-whats-hows-and-whys/

So it's just more tension and uncertainty in the scene: Maybe it's kosher, maybe it isn't. Maybe Landa knows it's her, maybe he doesn't.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I always figured he knew but all he cared about was winning so he left once he was sure she knew she was utterly hosed, since the actual capturing Jews part of his job description wasn't what gave him his rush. That was why he only took one bite of the strudel and then extinguished his cigarette in it and left after going on and on about how delicious it was with whipped cream, since the strudel and the cream were just tools for him to gently caress with her.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I watched the extended edition of Desolation of Smaug.

The hobbit films had extended editions? Jesus wept.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The scene with Landa and Shosanna reminds me of the scene in American Psycho with Patrick Bateman and Detective Kimball at dinner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJvtFBMRjk

According to some news sites:

"In each scene with Detective Donald Kimball (Willem Dafoe), Harron asked Dafoe to portray the character three different ways: 1. Kimble knew Patrick Bateman killed Paul Allen; 2. Kimball didn't know Bateman killed Allen; and 3. Kimball wasn't sure if Bateman killed Allen. Harron then edited the takes together, making it hard for the audience to tell what Kimball thought of Bateman."

It's pretty subtle to notice but you can almost feel like barbs of accusation when Kimball ask's Patrick "where were you?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we're overthinking the kosher thing. Like would any Jew actually risk being caught by refusing a non-kosher meal?

Shosanna has a Black boyfriend and from what I've known about Jewish mothers that's not kosher either.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There's a difference between "mom doesn't approve" kosher and "God doesn't approve" kosher.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

There's a difference between "mom doesn't approve" kosher and "God doesn't approve" kosher.

Tell that to a Jewish mom.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WampaLord posted:

Apple strudel?

What kind of apple strudel you been eating?

I do not remember the specifics of the strudel. Truth be told

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

rydiafan posted:

You can argue with God, arguing with mom is futile.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While overall it was a bad movie, something I did like watching Madagascar 2 was the rhythm - it felt like every scene had a kind of "bounce" to it that kept the momentum going through the dull scenes and that was kind of cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bitterandtwisted posted:

The hobbit films had extended editions? Jesus wept.

You mean you don't want to see naked CGI Dwarves bathing in a Rivendell fountain? Or Bofur riding a blind pegleg troll like he was playing the giant Clank missions from Ratchet and Clank?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ferrule posted:

The Basterds and Linda are two sides of the same coin: both collect "trophies", both love the thrill of the hunt, both are doing something they love/excel at regardless of doctrine/party-line, both are conniving and malevolent, etc., etc.

Sure, one is brash and reckless while the other is calculated and orderly but their similarities far outweigh their differences.

It's almost as if that was some kind of film-making trope.

I wouldn't say the Basterds are 'doing something they love regardless of doctrine'. More like the opposite, they're completely motivated by ideology while Landa couldn't care less. And in the end the Basterds are willing to die for their cause while Landa happily fucks over the Nazis and the whole of Germany (from a nationalist perspective) for a nice house.

AnonSpore posted:

I always figured he knew but all he cared about was winning so he left once he was sure she knew she was utterly hosed, since the actual capturing Jews part of his job description wasn't what gave him his rush. That was why he only took one bite of the strudel and then extinguished his cigarette in it and left after going on and on about how delicious it was with whipped cream, since the strudel and the cream were just tools for him to gently caress with her.

That's a pretty accurate description of his character. Remember when he aimed his gun at Shoshana while she was fleeing the farmhouse? He didn't actually shoot her, because killing her would have given him no pleasure and disposing of her body just another chore. He just wanted to satisfy himself that he could kill her.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

One of the themes of Inglorious Basterds is that the rank and file German army guys are presented as upstanding and decent - the first guy refused to betray his comrades and is beaten to death, the sniper guy is initially presented as a Heroic Sniper, the guy in the basement just wants to go home and see his new baby, and is then killed after putting down his gun - and the Basterds are a bunch of sociopaths who killed unarmed men who surrendered and machine gun a bunch of civilians in a theater.

But the decent German guys are Nazis, and the point is gently caress those guys- you don't get absolution by surrendering, you're either gonna get killed or marked for life.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I don't know if this is intentional or not, but I suspect it might be. In Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri the shitheel cop who is constantly reading comic books is reading two books for most of the movie, Robot Comics, which I know nothing about, and Incorruptible, which I do know a lil about; Its a companion piece to Irredeemable, a comic about a Superman type that goes nuts and tries to genocide the world. Incorruptible follows his nemesis, a super villain who, throughout the comic, must take on a more heroic role and sort of fill the shoes of the lost superman stand-in despite himself. which is a very similar redemptive arc to the character himself. It's kind of a niche comic that wouldn't exactly be the first or easiest thing to slap in the film. The character in question is even wearing a T-Shirt from the series in an early scene.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fried Watermelon posted:

The scene with Landa and Shosanna reminds me of the scene in American Psycho with Patrick Bateman and Detective Kimball at dinner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJvtFBMRjk

According to some news sites:

"In each scene with Detective Donald Kimball (Willem Dafoe), Harron asked Dafoe to portray the character three different ways: 1. Kimble knew Patrick Bateman killed Paul Allen; 2. Kimball didn't know Bateman killed Allen; and 3. Kimball wasn't sure if Bateman killed Allen. Harron then edited the takes together, making it hard for the audience to tell what Kimball thought of Bateman."

It's pretty subtle to notice but you can almost feel like barbs of accusation when Kimball ask's Patrick "where were you?"

I loved tgis. The first time I watched it I got the feeling he was toying with him. Dafoe is fantastic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Tell that to a Jewish mom.

Her Jewish mom is dead.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I loved tgis. The first time I watched it I got the feeling he was toying with him. Dafoe is fantastic.

Hell yeah. Dafoe is on my shortlist of actors whose films I'll watch no questions asked.

Speaking of, very recommended:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6W36-oWCU

It's much subtler than the trailer impresses. But you know, asses in seats & all.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

One of the themes of Inglorious Basterds is that the rank and file German army guys are presented as upstanding and decent - the first guy refused to betray his comrades and is beaten to death, the sniper guy is initially presented as a Heroic Sniper, the guy in the basement just wants to go home and see his new baby, and is then killed after putting down his gun - and the Basterds are a bunch of sociopaths who killed unarmed men who surrendered and machine gun a bunch of civilians in a theater.

But the decent German guys are Nazis, and the point is gently caress those guys- you don't get absolution by surrendering, you're either gonna get killed or marked for life.

Even Hitler is presented as kind of...normal, even if he's wearing a cape. Like when he's hesitantly asking the lone survivor if he was marked. The characters do not play to their stereotype.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Her Jewish mom is dead.

That just makes the guilt worse.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

rydiafan posted:

God forgives.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kenny powerzzz posted:

God forgives.

Dafoe dont

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbOzfXAJm4I&t=108s

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Smiling Jack posted:

This is present in this year's Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus as well. The rank and file Nazis have little conversations you can listen in on before gun fights pop off that (sometimes) humanize them a little bit. And then there is the scene shown where BJ's dad goes with him to the basement as a kid to "chase off monsters" so he could sleep without nightmares. The point in both cases being that showing a little humanity doesn't make up for being a goddamn Nazi.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

owl_pellet posted:

This is present in this year's Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus as well. The rank and file Nazis have little conversations you can listen in on before gun fights pop off that (sometimes) humanize them a little bit. And then there is the scene shown where BJ's dad goes with him to the basement as a kid to "chase off monsters" so he could sleep without nightmares. The point in both cases being that showing a little humanity doesn't make up for being a goddamn Nazi.

There's one conversation where two Nazis are talking about how they're not bad people just because they have different beliefs which then immediately turns into a conversation about joining the New Orleans Death Squad.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

owl_pellet posted:

When Blastowitz dad has a shotgun to his head and he realizes, yea my dad is a Nazi poo poo and he feels nothing as he takes an axe to him.. :black101:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Len posted:

There's one conversation where two Nazis are talking about how they're not bad people just because they have different beliefs which then immediately turns into a conversation about joining the New Orleans Death Squad.

"I guess that Blaskowitz guy really has some growing up to do."

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Wait a tic, Blaskowitz is a Jewish name?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

DandyLion posted:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DandyLion posted:

Yeah, BJ in the games is canonically Jewish.