Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was just worried because they're still like $400 still and he might as well wait if he doesn't need a tablet today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jokes posted:

I was just worried because they're still like $400 still and he might as well wait if he doesn't need a tablet today.

Best Buy has the iPad Mini 4 for $275 right now, lowest they've ever been from them. If you have an Amex, there's a $25 off $250+ offer at BB too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-mini-4-wi-fi-128gb-space-gray/4265700.p

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has the iPad Mini 4 for $275 right now, lowest they've ever been from them. If you have an Amex, there's a $25 off $250+ offer at BB too.

Yeah that’s a good deal and I honestly wouldn’t pay over $300 for one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sold out? drat.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jokes posted:

Sold out? drat.

You can try price matching at Target.

Target will have them at $299 - 5% Red card in Sunday's Ad as well.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

This is the 2nd or 3rd time this year they've been this price, I wouldn't be shocked if that price point comes back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What happened to iPad prices? I thought splitting the models between regular and Pro was supposed to protect the premium models, but Pro's are going for what plain old Air's fetched just a few years ago.

I bought my 9.7 Pro right when it came out and woefully overpaid for it. I should be getting Christmas cards from Tim Cook for what I paid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

What happened to iPad prices? I thought splitting the models between regular and Pro was supposed to protect the premium models, but Pro's are going for what plain old Air's fetched just a few years ago.

I bought my 9.7 Pro right when it came out and woefully overpaid for it. I should be getting Christmas cards from Tim Cook for what I paid.

iPad sales have been underperforming for a while.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

iPad sales have been underperforming for a while.

But average prices per iPad sold did go up after the Pros came out. I guess it wasn’t enough to affect long term price trends.

I’m more surprised Apple cut prices rather than just cut production and reduce volume.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The iPad Pro 9.7 32GB was (iirc) $650 when released, which was $50 more than the previous 32GB iPad, so I’m kind of confused about the woefully overpaying part.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The iPad Pro 9.7 32GB was (iirc) $650 when released, which was $50 more than the previous 32GB iPad, so I’m kind of confused about the woefully overpaying part.

I got the 128gb + Pencil so my cost was around $900. I know I got add-on's , but it's still weird seeing Pro prices in the low $500's. Especially the 12 inch monster pads.

Maybe not woefully over paying, but it feels like I bought at the market's peak.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh yeah that makes sense. Also the base model went from 16GB to 32GB so the lowest buy-in price went up noticeably.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My impression is that most consumers, once they have “an iPad” rarely ever upgrade. They use it for Facebook and written consumption and not much else and they’re fine with whichever model they have. I would be sure this has been what’s caused underperforming sales for the past few years.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

My impression is that most consumers, once they have “an iPad” rarely ever upgrade. They use it for Facebook and written consumption and not much else and they’re fine with whichever model they have. I would be sure this has been what’s caused underperforming sales for the past few years.

I think Ars or one of the online tech sites pointed to a report that came to the same conclusion but about iDevices in general. Customers just aren't seeing the need for churn every year and it's cut the legs out of hardware sales growth.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I hung on with my 3rd Gen iPad till just this year. 99% of my use was air playing streaming sites or Twitch to my Apple TV and it worked fine for that. :shrug:

Apparently they’re developing an even cheaper even more stripped down iPad to launch in 2018. I doubt it’ll be Kindle Fire levels of cheap but it seems people would rather pay less for a tablet with a bunch of compromises.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

BGrifter posted:

Apparently they’re developing an even cheaper even more stripped down iPad to launch in 2018.
... according to Digitimes, who do not exactly have a stellar track record with the conclusions they reach given some info.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Proteus Jones posted:

I think Ars or one of the online tech sites pointed to a report that came to the same conclusion but about iDevices in general. Customers just aren't seeing the need for churn every year and it's cut the legs out of hardware sales growth.

Yeah this has been my habit for the last couple years. I'm fairly certain the normal load we put on tablets and phones has been well below the capacity of their processor for a couple generations and I don't see the normal user demanding more processor usage in the future, outside of iOS being weirdly demanding. I mean, what the gently caress are people doing on tablets nowadays that cause problems? My Fire HD 8 does internet browsing, reddit, SA, video playback and other netbook poo poo smoothly and that's basically just a screen attached to a battery and paperclip.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would still be happily using my 4S or 5S if OS updates didn't make them slow as poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jokes posted:

Yeah this has been my habit for the last couple years. I'm fairly certain the normal load we put on tablets and phones has been well below the capacity of their processor for a couple generations and I don't see the normal user demanding more processor usage in the future, outside of iOS being weirdly demanding. I mean, what the gently caress are people doing on tablets nowadays that cause problems? My Fire HD 8 does internet browsing, reddit, SA, video playback and other netbook poo poo smoothly and that's basically just a screen attached to a battery and paperclip.

I think content creators can really bump up against the limits of the iPad. I know illustrators can really tax it, especially professional illustrators and digital painters. It's also a pretty capable piece of hardware for home music studios with some of the prosumer stuff out like the KORG apps or some the modeling guitar amps like Ampkit or Amplitube.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

I think content creators can really bump up against the limits of the iPad. I know illustrators can really tax it, especially professional illustrators and digital painters. It's also a pretty capable piece of hardware for home music studios with some of the prosumer stuff out like the KORG apps or some the modeling guitar amps like Ampkit or Amplitube.

K, so that's like a fraction of a percent of the millions of iPads sold each quartet

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

K, so that's like a fraction of a percent of the millions of iPads sold each quartet

Dude I'm not disagreeing with you. I was one of the ones talking about the slowdown of sales because no one sees a need to jump every year

Someone asked does anyone really need the cutting edge model, and I answered yeah, there's some. Are they tiny percentage, sure. Not trying to argue otherwise.

E: gently caress, I missed a "not". That tends to be a important loving word in the context of the first sentence.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 10, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess it’s good Apple makes money off the iOS ecosystem or the long upgrade cycles for tablets would’ve killed the product.

I guess that’s what happened to every other tablet that isn’t an iPad or Fire.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

iOS itself kills older devices but I don't think that's as big of a concern anymore. What's the latest unsupported iPad?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They dropped the uh iPad with Retina Display (aka iPad 4), released in 2012 with iOS 11.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I love my new iPad, but since this is the first one I've bought since my 3rd gen iPad it's also my first Smart Cover since the redesign and holy poo poo is it awful. The four panel one they made for the first three or so iPads was perfect, this new one is flimsy and terrible. It slips out of standing position all the time and is generally a huge disappointment.

Are there any good third party alternatives for the current iPad? (not the Pro) I don't want a full case or anything, just a glorified dust cover that wakes/sleeps and folds into a usable stand.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Dude I'm not disagreeing with you. I was one of the ones talking about the slowdown of sales because no one sees a need to jump every year

Someone asked does anyone really need the cutting edge model, and I answered yeah, there's some. Are they tiny percentage, sure. Not trying to argue otherwise.

E: gently caress, I missed a "not". That tends to be a important loving word in the context of the first sentence.

Oh yeah, no worries, didn't mean that to come off as an attack on you

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm having this weird issue with my fancy used ipad pro 10.5, where onenote crashes and it's associated with bluetooth turning off and then on again. it happens like clockwork, every 15 minutes it is open :thunk: can i just blame ios 11?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

logikv9 posted:

i'm having this weird issue with my fancy used ipad pro 10.5, where onenote crashes and it's associated with bluetooth turning off and then on again. it happens like clockwork, every 15 minutes it is open :thunk: can i just blame ios 11?

Why are you turning BT off and on again? Or is it just happening?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Matt Zerella posted:

Why are you turning BT off and on again? Or is it just happening?

it's just happening, like when onenote crashes, bluetooth disconnects and then reconnects (according to my BT headphones which are generally connected at the same time). the apple pencil also disconnects occasionally at this time which is a pain in the rear end

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

logikv9 posted:

it's just happening, like when onenote crashes, bluetooth disconnects and then reconnects (according to my BT headphones which are generally connected at the same time). the apple pencil also disconnects occasionally at this time which is a pain in the rear end

If you can make that happen every time I'd bring it in for service.

Maybe try a restore first. But that's not supposed to happen.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Last night I updated my Air 2 to 11.2.1 and after the update when I tried to unlock it went into a screen I'd never seen before that said 'Attempting Data Recovery'. It scared the poo poo out of me but after it completed it seems like everything is fine. What exactly happened there?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’ve heard that there is a way to charge the iPad Pro faster than the included charger. I went to the Apple store and asked for it and he confidently told me that was what I was getting but after opening it it’s just the same thing that came with the iPad. Is there a more powerful charger that I can use? If so what is it and are there cheaper off brand versions? The biggest down side is how slow the thing charges (first gen 12.9” Pro) and it will charge ridiculously slow if I am charging and using it, sometimes actually losing power while charging depending on what I’m doing.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

rio posted:

I’ve heard that there is a way to charge the iPad Pro faster than the included charger. I went to the Apple store and asked for it and he confidently told me that was what I was getting but after opening it it’s just the same thing that came with the iPad. Is there a more powerful charger that I can use? If so what is it and are there cheaper off brand versions? The biggest down side is how slow the thing charges (first gen 12.9” Pro) and it will charge ridiculously slow if I am charging and using it, sometimes actually losing power while charging depending on what I’m doing.

You want this thing (and a compatible cable) https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...c2005773f5a218b

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Oneiros posted:

You want this thing (and a compatible cable) https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...c2005773f5a218b

Or grab this this legit Anker version and use the money you saved to buy an official Apple usb-c to lightning cable.

The Anker recommendation comes from this Gizmodo article on testing the Quick Charging capabilities of iPhones. I imagine you'd get the same results with the iPads.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 18, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
just had a very interesting... feature? where on the updates page of the app store, the gray oval shape that's part of the OPEN buttons next to the app names was rotating. not even the word "open", just the oval shape. i'm more amused than anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Last night I updated my Air 2 to 11.2.1 and after the update when I tried to unlock it went into a screen I'd never seen before that said 'Attempting Data Recovery'. It scared the poo poo out of me but after it completed it seems like everything is fine. What exactly happened there?

I just had this happen to my iPhone today. Only ill effect was that Apple Pay stopped working until I restarted it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

logikv9 posted:

just had a very interesting... feature? where on the updates page of the app store, the gray oval shape that's part of the OPEN buttons next to the app names was rotating. not even the word "open", just the oval shape. i'm more amused than anything.

Yeah I’ve seen this a few times. Pretty funny bug.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Are there any problems updating ipad air 2 to ios11? ios 11 killed my iphone 6 and i do not want another dead device on my hands.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My air 1 works fine, but it’s kind of slow in some situations. Like opening Settings for the first time in a week, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nervana posted:

Are there any problems updating ipad air 2 to ios11? ios 11 killed my iphone 6 and i do not want another dead device on my hands.

Mine seems fine, maybe a touch more stuttery than before but not a big deal.