Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looks like HP sucks:

https://techreport.com/news/32920/report-hp-envy-x360-battery-life-drags-regardless-of-cpu-vendor

With the Envy x360, the 8250U gets 5 hours 49 minutes, the R5 2500U gets 5 hours 11 minutes. Way short of the Intel implementations on other laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Intel implementations eschew a 2.5" bay for a larger battery. Wish HP had done the same with this.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

While looking at some other AMD stuff, I did come across this Lisa Su quote the thread will like:

Lisa Su posted:

"We settled on the name K6 because we wanted to capture AMD’s dedication to low-power efficiency,” said AMD CEO Lisa Su. “Our last K-branded design was the K12, and, well, K6 is half of that. We fired all our marketing people in 2012. Stop asking these questions."

E: it's an April fool's article, I'm stupid, but I will leave my shame here for future generations:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/246988-amd-announces-new-low-power-processor-tablet-smartphone-market

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 5, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The fact that AMD does have a marketing department and they come up with these names is actually funnier than the parody

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Even though treadripper is a loving retarded name, how many people are likely to forget it. Zero.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Threadripper is good branding, I'm probably not going to ever get one but for some reason I want one anyway.

EDIT: Does anyone actually beleive that story of the engineers having some kind of skunkworks thing going? The more cynical side of me thinks it's an entirely manufactured story and actually it was a bunch of bean counters pressing some engineers on what they can do with all their dud Ryzen cores.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 6, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissCM posted:

Threadripper is good branding, I'm probably not going to ever get one but for some reason I want one anyway.

EDIT: Does anyone actually beleive that story of the engineers having some kind of skunkworks thing going? The more cynical side of me thinks it's an entirely manufactured story and actually it was a bunch of bean counters pressing some engineers on what they can do with all their dud Ryzen cores.

They binned extra good ones for TR didn't they?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

They sure did given i can run my 1950x at 4.2ghz all cores and not miss a beat besides prime95 (who cares about prime anyway)

Threadripper is loving awesome and gently caress the haters that think otherwise

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Two of the four dies are shims, which I assume to be inoperable cores. Has anyone checked to see if that's actually the case?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SwissCM posted:

Two of the four dies are shims, which I assume to be inoperable cores. Has anyone checked to see if that's actually the case?

AMD said blank silicon, but I believe someone tore one apart and found them to be complete but non-operable Zeppelin dies.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BurritoJustice posted:

AMD said blank silicon, but I believe someone tore one apart and found them to be complete but non-operable Zeppelin dies.

Yeah, IIRC that was Der8auer.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The dies are dead, trash garbage that allows AMD near full utilization of everything GloFo gives them. Apparently the MCM between TR and EPYC is different, as well as the pin lay out so it's not like TR is dumpster EPYCs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Scarecow posted:

Threadripper is loving awesome and gently caress the haters that think otherwise
I want one, but I'm still going to sit it out until a Zen 2 based one. Which may take a while. :[

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Scarecow posted:

They sure did given i can run my 1950x at 4.2ghz all cores and not miss a beat besides prime95 (who cares about prime anyway)

I really love mine, rendering is fun again!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BurritoJustice posted:

No, a marketing drone said glass, and then der8auer delidded one to find complete but dead silicon. (because silicon dioxide is the most common material used for making glass, and chips are made out of silicon, and you can see how a game of telephone inside a marketing drone's head went from "dead silicon" to "glass".)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
AMD and Qualcomm are teaming up https://www.anandtech.com/show/12130/amd-makes-a-surprise-appearance-ryzen-mobile-with-qualcomm-lte

Baseless unfounded speculation ahoy - Qualcomm are gigantic, but they apparently pull most of their net revenue from licensing, not making chips. Two years ago, it was posited that of those who could reasonable buy AMD, Qualcomm was one of those. But recently Broadcom made a pass at them and with an unsteady future with most of the companies value in licensing it's products, just as Apple has ditched them and Intel has competitive products, they need a long term partner. Enter AMD?

Honestly Qualcomm and AMD compliment each other well from a technology and market perspective, they'd only need to absorb something like Micron to address nearly the entire market.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

I want one, but I'm still going to sit it out until a Zen 2 based one. Which may take a while. :[

Good news friend! AMD will no doubt support this socket till at least zen2 (there by TR2 drool) untill 2020 at least so why wait?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Threadripper is an excellent processor and is priced great for what you get. I kinda regret not picking up a 1920X back on Black Friday.

The only thing I can complain about there is the motherboard prices. Everyone was making fun of how expensive Intel's X299 motherboards are, but for TR4 motherboards you can figure on paying 30-50% extra on top of that. If you could get an entry-level motherboard for $200 I would probably own one now.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Rastor posted:

The fact that AMD does have a marketing department and they come up with these names is actually funnier than the parody

Please abstain from such negative comments, you're ripping the thread apart.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

karoshi posted:

Please abstain from such negative comments, you're ripping the thread apart.

You’re tearing us apart, Lisa Su!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Threadripper is an excellent processor and is priced great for what you get. I kinda regret not picking up a 1920X back on Black Friday.

The only thing I can complain about there is the motherboard prices. Everyone was making fun of how expensive Intel's X299 motherboards are, but for TR4 motherboards you can figure on paying 30-50% extra on top of that. If you could get an entry-level motherboard for $200 I would probably own one now.

Eh, I bought the Taichi version, compared to the processor the price was alright.

Its expensive anyway, and it was time for an upgrade.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Goons in this thread told me to RMA my troublesome Asus prime x370-pro board and indeed - I had a dud board and the replacement turned out to be rock solid!

Here's the post screen. I think I'm doing pretty well with these specs without stressing out the components (too) much. Need I say that I'm extremely happy with the rig? :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Goons in this thread told me to RMA my troublesome Asus prime x370-pro board and indeed - I had a dud board and the replacement turned out to be rock solid!

Here's the post screen. I think I'm doing pretty well with these specs without stressing out the components (too) much. Need I say that I'm extremely happy with the rig? :)

2 Keyboards dawg :whatup: :q:

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

2 Keyboards dawg :whatup: :q:

Yeah that's what's confusing me as well - well since both the keyboard and the mouse are wireless, I suspect that the USB dongles are picking up neighbor's keyboard signal or somesuch. No harmful interference though. :)

edit: I also have a Bluetooth dongle, is the mainboard BIOS "smart" enough to try to connect to BT mice, even though the mouse might be in a different apartment altogether? :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 8, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hey better one person with two keyboards than two people with one keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you told me in 1997 that new PCs in 2017 would boot with ANSI logo graphics by American Megatrends (and that they were still a thing and still ripping off the triforce) there is no way in hell I would have ever believed you.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Yeah that's what's confusing me as well - well since both the keyboard and the mouse are wireless, I suspect that the USB dongles are picking up neighbor's keyboard signal or somesuch. No harmful interference though. :)

edit: I also have a Bluetooth dongle, is the mainboard BIOS "smart" enough to try to connect to BT mice, even though the mouse might be in a different apartment altogether? :)

Are they on separate receivers? The receivers may both be identifying themselves to the system as KB+mouse combos.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Craptacular! posted:

If you told me in 1997 that new PCs in 2017 would boot with ANSI logo graphics by American Megatrends (and that they were still a thing and still ripping off the triforce) there is no way in hell I would have ever believed you.

Ripped off the game that came out a year after the company was formed...

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

Are they on separate receivers? The receivers may both be identifying themselves to the system as KB+mouse combos.

Yup, separate receivers. The keyboard is MSI while the mouse is by Logitech, bought separately so I don't think any of those identify as combo devices.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Don Lapre posted:

Ripped off the game that came out a year after the company was formed...

Kid me wouldn't care.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

You probably have 'Legacy USB emulation' or something similar turned on in the BIOS. This will take any USB keyboards and mice and 'emulate' equivalent PS/2 versions of those devices, in case you are booting into something that doens't have USB support (DOS?). If you hunt around you could probably turn it off, but I don't think it's actually harmful, it might use a few kb of memory.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ryzen+ aka Ryzen "2nd Generation" aka Pinnacle Ridge looks to be on schedule for March-ish.

(reminder, this isnt Zen 2 so temper expectations)

https://videocardz.com/74402/amd-confirms-2nd-gen-ryzen-launching-in-q1-2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Guessing nothing other then a minor clock speed bump, maybe a slightly more forgiving memory controller.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm on the bus so I can't check out the video in the article, but:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60100/amds-new-ryzen-7-2800x-teased-12c-24t-up-5-1ghz/index.html

TeeakTown posted:

Ryzen 7 2700: 10C/20T @ 4.0/4.5GHz (replaces Ryzen 7 1700)
Ryzen 7 2800: 12C/24T @ 4.4/4.9GHz (replaces Ryzen 7 1700X)
Ryzen 7 2800X: 12C/24T @ 4.6/5.1GHz (replaces Ryzen 7 1800X)

That can't be right

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

NewFatMike posted:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60100/amds-new-ryzen-7-2800x-teased-12c-24t-up-5-1ghz/index.html

That can't be right

The core counts are possible. The frequencies sound very, very optimistic.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

That can't be right

If true I will pre-order today.

e: 6 core CCX with zen+ and not zen2???

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Big if true.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NewFatMike posted:

That can't be right

Yeah, i hiiiiiighly doubt those numbers. Like, all of them. The price, the core count, the frequency, the release date, everything.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cygni posted:

Yeah, i hiiiiiighly doubt those numbers. Like, all of them. The price, the core count, the frequency, the release date, everything.

when has amd ever over promised and under delivered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

That can't be right

Those are the kind of numbers we saw in "leaks" before Ryzen was officially announced, just with 50% more cores.

WCCFTech editors are looking at those and going "come on, guys, at least make your rumours believable."