Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it the ridiculous eyes or something else? I know absolutely nothing about the source material but the trailer looked inoffensively generic and dull.

It's the eyes.

Here's the trailer btw: https://twitter.com/Alitamovie/status/939215626987433984

the replies on the trailer is pretty hilarious.

e:https://twitter.com/jesuisundziu/status/939220184912596992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

lol Alita looks like a character from The Incredibles running around with real people, who okayed that???

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tars Tarkas posted:

lol Alita looks like a character from The Incredibles running around with real people, who okayed that???

James Cameron

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tars Tarkas posted:

I mean she’s a cyborg so it’s not like it’s the most out there thing in the world. She’s literally not human.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'm just getting a "meh" vibe out of it overall. I mean yes, there are some things that look like it's going to have some action in it, plus the title has "battle" in it, but it feels like it would be more like Bicentennial Man.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DC Murderverse posted:

I mean she’s a cyborg so it’s not like it’s the most out there thing in the world. She’s literally not human.

Cyborgs are supposed to look like Transformer knock-offs! Did Justice League teach you anything?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holly poo poo they gave her anime eyes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it the ridiculous eyes or something else? I know absolutely nothing about the source material but the trailer looked inoffensively generic and dull.

Those eyes are distracting.

Like, I'd be off-put by them, then get used to them seconds later, then the shot changes and it's back to the Uncanny Valley again.

You're right about being inoffensively generic, I was getting the ScarJo Ghost In The Shell vibes from that trailer. All the cyborgs look like they're made of the same chromed template, nothing like the handmade custom jobs seen in the manga. Even Malaku/Guernica just looks like bigger version of the one guy (I assume he's Zapan).
It also looks like it's basically a copy of the OVA.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In the future our fully sentient anime wives will call this film out for racist mangaface minstrelry

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The eyes look loving awesome and I don't know what's wrong with y'all. Given what Alita is, it makes perfect sense for her to be a bit uncanny-valley.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fsmhunk posted:

Holly poo poo they gave her anime eyes.

Like, I think something like that would work in something that felt better executed. For example if otherwise she appeared human instead of an obvious robot with an anime head.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just getting a "meh" vibe out of it overall. I mean yes, there are some things that look like it's going to have some action in it, plus the title has "battle" in it, but it feels like it would be more like Bicentennial Man.

The vibe I got was very "Blade Runner 2049 but with no subtlety at all," particularly those shorts that Luke Scott did.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
"All these other anime adaptations are failing, even though the source material is widely beloved! What are we missing?!?"

*Glances back and forth between image of anime and image of lead actress*

"Hmm..."

*Enlarges eyes in Photoshop*

"holy poo poo"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, considering the source material, I imagine they're specifically going for a not-quite-human unease to heighten how hosed up things are and add an always-noticable signifier that she isn't a human or possibly even human-like.

Eyes are one of the most significant aspects of human expression, and in BTS footage of District 9 the designers talked a lot about how they made the prawn eyes extremely human to make it easy to relate to them. This is the opposite.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The eyes look loving awesome and I don't know what's wrong with y'all. Given what Alita is, it makes perfect sense for her to be a bit uncanny-valley.

Going to second this. I like how creepy she looks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously this movie looks amazing holy gently caress

e: do we have any clue what MPAA rating they're targeting? if it's gonna be R, I'm looking for midnight showings

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 8, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Going to second this. I like how creepy she looks.

Agreed, but only if it turns out that she was the bad guy the whole time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I can guarantee you that the majority of the reaction to this trailer is gonna be the anime eyes thing, and its not gonna be positive. I love the property hence me posting so much about the trailer, and that's a shame.

But it is FASCINATING from an own goal perspective. Never seen this one before.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The eyes are bad she is the drat robot Twilight baby grown up they are so bad I can't even pay attention to anything else in the trailer

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Christoph Waltz adopts an anime from the anime shelter and feeds it and takes it out for walks.

fake edit: John Wick, but instead of a puppy it's his anime daughter.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Watch them reduce the eyes due to the backlash, just like the Bane voice fiasco

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm gonna be genuinely annoyed if they do that because I think the eyes look baller as hell

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everybody is making fun of Thanos but I don't think they're gonna change that one

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Watch them reduce the eyes due to the backlash, just like the Bane voice fiasco

Are they gonna not make her fully, horribly CGI tho? It's laughable.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Shageletic posted:

It's the eyes.

Here's the trailer btw: https://twitter.com/Alitamovie/status/939215626987433984

the replies on the trailer is pretty hilarious.

e:https://twitter.com/jesuisundziu/status/939220184912596992

She look like a midget Avatar cat person with the blue replaced with flesh tone in photoshop. James Cameron's new fetishes are real big fake eyes and drowning children.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Biggest issue with Tarantino doing Trek is there just isn't enough good old foreign scifi movies for him to steal from except maybe The Green Slime and Starcrash. Though i fully expect him to steal the boots scenes from Star Trek 6.

He was like halfway to a decent The Thing remake with Hateful Eight.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

She's like a Na'vi, but instead of being stylized and acrobatic she's wearing a t-shirt and khakis.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 8, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Apparently Cameron is hard at work on Avatars 2-4 training his child actors to be able to hold their breath for 2-3 minutes at a time so they can film ridiculous underwater poo poo. This will surely end well.

As long as John Landis isn't a co-producer it will probably be fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Alita's appearance falling into the uncanny valley was never a thing brought up in the manga or anime; she looked no different than the human characters. It's an odd design choice, and I'm not a fan of it. The rest of the trailer looks pretty cool though. And I like the rest of the cast. Also looks like RR dialed back a bit on his usual flair which has me a little hopeful. I just really don't like the way Alita looks though :(

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

teagone posted:

Alita's appearance falling into the uncanny valley was never a thing brought up in the manga or anime; she looked no different than the human characters. It's an odd design choice, and I'm not a fan of it. The rest of the trailer looks pretty cool though. And I like the rest of the cast. Also looks like RR dialed back a bit on his usual flair which has me a little hopeful. I just really don't like the way Alita looks though :(

Honestly, I'd prefer if Robert Rodriguez was a little more ambitious here. The real criticism here, aside from "looks weird", is that it just looks boring. You'd think that a distinctive visual choice like Alita would be accompanied by other creative visual designs, but there's just nothing. Aside from her the movie looks boring as poo poo, which just makes her look goofy. Maybe the movie will be better, but the trailer is just not a good showing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Honestly, I'd prefer if Robert Rodriguez was a little more ambitious here. The real criticism here, aside from "looks weird", is that it just looks boring. You'd think that a distinctive visual choice like Alita would be accompanied by other creative visual designs, but there's just nothing. Aside from her the movie looks boring as poo poo, which just makes her look goofy. Maybe the movie will be better, but the trailer is just not a good showing.

The song choice, the plot beats, they are all intensely uninteresting. Its a disappointment def, but that large eyes is still pretty great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

I mean, yeah, it's not something the manga or anime did, but the whole point of an adaptation is to have a different take on the material, and I think the choice pretty much works. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

That is and isn't true. Gally is drawn differently from other characters in the manga, especially the normal humans. You can argue that is just Protagonist Syndrome or whatever but there actually is a physical difference between her and most of the cast, including much larger eyes. (Even compared to the anime eyes of the cast.) It's nowhere as standout as it is here but she does have a difference in design.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not familiar with the source material, but the trailer shows other cyborgs so presumably this is supposed to be a science fictional world. Say what you will about Avatar's story, but at least the world of Pandora was just as strange and colorful as the Na'vi. For something that's been in the works for over a decade, Alita doesn't show nearly the same level of ambition.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

pospysyl posted:

I'm not familiar with the source material, but the trailer shows other cyborgs so presumably this is supposed to be a science fictional world. Say what you will about Avatar's story, but at least the world of Pandora was just as strange and colorful as the Na'vi. For something that's been in the works for over a decade, Alita doesn't show nearly the same level of ambition.

Alita's story is more character driven. The world building is cool, but the core of the story is about Alita's struggle with her identity. Part of that process of discovery is obliterating other cyborgs :twisted:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

quote:

EXCLUSIVE: After Deadline this week revealed that Quentin Tarantino pitched a Star Trek film to JJ Abrams and Paramount, the whole thing is moving at warp speed. Tarantino met for hours in a writers room with Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, Drew Pearce and Megan Amram. They kicked around ideas and one of them will get the job. I’m hearing the frontrunner is Smith, who wrote The Revenant. The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition. Most mega budget tent poles restrict the film to a PG-13 rating in an effort to maximize the audience. That was the reason that Guillermo Del Toro’s $150 million At The Mountains of Madness didn’t go forward at Universal, even though Tom Cruise was ready to star. The exception to this rule was Fox’s Deadpool, but that film started out with modest ambitions before it caught on and became the biggest R rated film ever.

That rating was crucially important to Tarantino, who hopes to direct this Star Trek and who has helmed R rated films his entire career. Imagine how this could open storytelling lanes, or even what the banter on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise might be, if you conjure up memories of the conversations between Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, or the banter at the diner between robbers before the heist gone wrong that triggered the action in Reservoir Dogs.

Smith is best known for writing the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed The Revenant and subsequently overhauled Overlord, the WWII thriller that Abrams’ Bad Robot is producing for Paramount. Pearce’s script credits include Iron Man 3, Sherlock Holmes 3, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and the TV series Runaway TV; he just directed his script Hotel Artemis; Beer’s credits are mostly upcoming, and include the Doug Liman-directed Chaos Walking, as well as Godzilla Vs. Kong, Masters of the Universe, Barbarella and Dungeons and Dragons, all big scale stuff.

They will lock one of the three quickly (if there is a front runner, it might be Smith), and the film will be scripted based on Tarantino’s idea while Tarantino is filming his next film about the Manson summer of 1969, which got set at Sony and has I, Tonya‘s Margot Robbie poised to play Sharon Tate, and Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt all having met with the filmmaker about roles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBMAHUkibY

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, yeah, it's not something the manga or anime did, but the whole point of an adaptation is to have a different take on the material, and I think the choice pretty much works. :shrug:

If you assume that is their intent I guess but I doubt it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Alita's story is more character driven. The world building is cool, but the core of the story is about Alita's struggle with her identity. Part of that process of discovery is obliterating other cyborgs :twisted:

The setting is pretty tight as well, especially when they go INTERPLANETARY

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's a real interesting writing room, Iron Man 3 (Drew Pearce) and Community/everything Ahram's has done have a great distinctive writer's voice to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That article made me real sad we didn't get GDT, Tom Cruise, 150M, and Mouth of Madness.

• Locked thread