Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

mik posted:

I've always used the default crosshairs and never counted notches. I only use them for help determining relative angles, not speed, and I have an main battery hit percentage of 39% across 3,500 games. This isn't intended to be a brag post, but I often see people get hung up on fancy crosshairs when they become more of a crutch.

Yeah I have a 34% account wide accuracy rating over 2500 games. I often state that I think my accuracy is one of my biggest weaknesses in terms of performance for WoWs (well that and decision making). Although I have a bunch of Atl games in there as well and that thing uh....isn't always good at accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

rex rabidorum vires posted:

:shrug: I don't know maybe i'll have to dick around with the dynamic sight more but for the most part 1:1 for BBs 2:1 for CAs and 3:1 for DDs is pretty easy. You start adding notches here and there based upon if they're sailing away or towards you as well as high tier vs lower tiers. Fuso+ need more lead and the same with Bayern and up. French CAs basically get 2 to 2.5x notches (3x for the t5) for me translating the information the HUD is showing me into decent shots is part of the fun. That said I'm not Antonio good so :(

I tried switching to dynamic and just couldn’t. Unfortunately, I didn’t even realize the dynamic crosshairs were a thing until I had been playing the game for over a year, because other people are right... on paper (and probably in reality) its way better for shooting high tier ships; however, after a year + using static crosshairs, static aiming is hardwired into my brain.

Switching was almost like the time I decided inverted vertical controls on FPSs were stupid after nearly 20 years of using inverted vertical controls on FPSs. Spoiler that did not work out so well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hammerstein posted:

We are at 29/30 and can always purge some of the long term inactives. Just apply to [GOON] Goon Squid and post your nick here...

Sent an application, I'm soralapio in game.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I really, really hate losing because I've killed everything except some dumb bitch of a carrier who's done nothing all game but will win by virtue of existing.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I don't like dynamic.

I use default static and crosshair and do okay.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Tathris posted:

The dynamic does the same thing, but with a value of 30 knots it's way easier to use against high-tier ships (pretty much all ships above tier 8 or so goes 30+ knots).
Being able to zoom out your sight a little to lead DDs / french cruisers without having to remember separate values for your zoom level (lol no) is pretty useful too.

Honestly, for anyone new to this game, just learn to use the dynamic sight from the start. Learning to use the static and then having to spend hundreds of games to re-learn how to aim if you make the switch later is not fun.

For reference the dynamic is only 20 knots. I don't know why everyone keeps saying 30 knots. Unless USN Stardard BBs have suddenly got Bismark speed.

German BB talk. With all the meta changes due to smoke, deep water torps, carriers, and RN BB, I'm declaring secondary builds to be worthless. In fact, I think German BBs are pretty much trash right now above T7.

HFX fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 9, 2017

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the info guys.

HFX posted:

For reference the dynamic is only 20 knots. I don't know why everyone keeps saying 30 knots. Unless USN Stardard BBs have suddenly got Bismark speed.

German BB talk. With all the meta changes due to smoke, deep water torps, carriers, and RN BB, I'm declaring secondary builds to be worthless. In fact, I think German BBs are pretty much trash right now above T7.

Every post on reddit, the forums, or youtube commentary says 30 knots for dynamic. Where are you getting 20 from?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

HFX posted:

It's 20 knots for Static and 30 knots for dynamic. I'm still working through the Gneis however the Scharn has been great fun to play even with the billions of DDs because it's very easy to queue up HE shells with it and for whatever reason I find the Scharn a much easier and more consistent boat. Not sure what I'm going to do once I finish the Gneis. I'll probably keep going because why not.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

xanif posted:

Thanks for the info guys.

Every post on reddit, the forums, or youtube commentary says 30 knots for dynamic. Where are you getting 20 from?

I am getting 20 from in the game. USN standard BB sailing broadside to me, put the exact number of seconds on the middle of ship, click, hit. Cruises multiply by 1.5, destroyers 2.0 (in general).

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's 20 knots for Static and 30 knots for dynamic. I'm still working through the Gneis however the Scharn has been great fun to play even with the billions of DDs because it's very easy to queue up HE shells with it and for whatever reason I find the Scharn a much easier and more consistent boat. Not sure what I'm going to do once I finish the Gneis. I'll probably keep going because why not.

Below tier 7 i dont think it is that bad. Tier 7 ia kind of eh, but yes the scharn can be fun when not in the tier 9 games. At tier 8, you start getting long streams of tier 10 games. Because you are squishy, people will shoot you instead of that NC/Alabama/Amagi next to you. You get to use 4 guns that aren't particularly accurate if you want to avoid eating too much damage during the early game or when trying to close.

The other issue is most maps have a lot less cover to use to approach the enemy. Once again, this works against them since they need to get closer than other BBs to really be effective. Thus, the great secondaries are mostly not even used except for the occasional DD at 10km. Thus they really aren't a factor for much of the fight.

Basically, they might still be okay if you specced as CE, Fire prevention, but you cant have that and still do the crazy secondaries. You also basically need a 18 point captain.

Do I still occasionally have great games in my Bismark/Tirpitz? Yes. Usually from have a good map where I can control the angles of fire and get to important parts of the map. Especially so if T8. However, most games I'd rather be in any other BB.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Driving your Bismarck and getting a majority tier 10 game on Ice Islands or Okinawa every time is just so much loving fun :suicide:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yes! I got the fabled Kentucky Fried Chicken Commendable Drumstick award! I WIN!

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

What does one have to do to earn the coveted drumstick?

JediBlutarsky fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 9, 2017

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
'Save Commander Jenkins' Detail is "We do not leave our own behind!" Guessing it is a Leeroy Jenkins joke?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm not sure what causes him to appear, but now and then Killer Whale will toss you an AI-controlled Farragut named Jenkins. I'm guessing that you get that one if you keep his suicidal rear end alive to the end of the mission.

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

That sound absolutely awesome.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The AI missions are surprisingly OK when you find a team of people worth doing them with. My enjoyment of the events would go up like 500% if I could just play them with people who knew what to do.

The stupid Halloween event was bullshit because nobody moused-over there ship abilities or knew how to use them. Just like in PvP battles, you were hosed if you got a pubbie carrier.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Regarding crosshairs:

Use what you works for you obviously, but I'd definitely suggest using dynamic if you're just starting out or are willing to learn. It won't matter like 90% of the time, but if you ever need to do long range gunnery with a ship that has really slow shells like the Baltimore/Des Moines, or Atlanta/USN DDs, dynamic will help you stay more consistent with your aim since you can zoom out and keep your place on the range mark's numbers.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Actually completed the mission with all five stars twice today because two teams were not filled with idiots. The other six or seven different story. We were sync dropping with two divisions and doing well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The AI missions are surprisingly OK when you find a team of people worth doing them with. My enjoyment of the events would go up like 500% if I could just play them with people who knew what to do.

The stupid Halloween event was bullshit because nobody moused-over there ship abilities or knew how to use them. Just like in PvP battles, you were hosed if you got a pubbie carrier.

The Halloween event was especially painful because you had... people... with absolutely no battles in CVs of any sort - and more than a few of them had very few battles period - swamping the CV queue, and they were unilaterally worthless. Combine that with just bad CV players, or decent ones who didn't bother to read/use the unique consumables, and getting a good player for what was arguably the keystone role on the team (given its consumables) was incredibly rare.

That was a class that absolutely NEEDED some sort of control on who could pick it, because that was not an easy event to 5* and 95% of the queue for the critical ship being utterly worthless didn't help.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

How the gently caress has Epicenter on Tears of the Cruisers not been removed yet?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sperglord Actual posted:

How the gently caress has Epicenter on Tears of the Cruisers not been removed yet?

Then they'd need to make another high-tier map, and they know they have no idea how to do it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
It has been, what, 6 months since the last new map?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
There was that ranked-only map, then three operations maps.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

There's a new map for clan battles coming presumably next season, but no idea if it'll make it to randoms.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I bet a half competent random map generator could crank out better maps.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Just Perlin noise a map yourself and it'll be better than at least half of the tier 10 maps.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Set phasers to purge :commissar:

The fact that I could do all of that and still lose speaks volumes about my team. My hand was trembling towards the end because it was cloooooose.

We lost to the one ship more OP than the Kutuzov:

Saipans are dumb and broken and I hate every single one of them. He just ran away, sent TBs, and won, because he just nuked every ship that came close to spotting him. It didn't matter that we'd killed everything else and capped every point.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My Iowa must be loving cursed, I have like a 10% win rate in the thing and it can't just be me sucking at it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmKv41PnNws

Yuro status, still alive!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Der Shovel posted:

Sent an application, I'm soralapio in game.

Added you. Welcome aboard.

EU Goons: it's time to expand the roster from 30 to 40 when we have the oil, with Shovel we are at 30/30.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
CVs are the reason I hate playing BBs more than any other class. With a CL or a DD you can at least make use of consumables and mobility to make some plays, even if you're isolated. If you're in a BB and the planes come for you... you pretty much lose 50-100% of your health.

It's going to get so much worse when the Graf Zep returns to the shop in its OP as poo poo form and gets bought by a million mouthbreathers. Saipan Part Deux

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I take it with Deep water torps and AP bombs, the tide has turned on the BB?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

MikeC posted:

I take it with Deep water torps and AP bombs, the tide has turned on the BB?

Honestly, It's just made them more camp-happy. Which is exactly what we told Wargaming it would do. And, time again, Wargaming has asserted that they know the game better than us and that everything's totally fine.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Honestly, It's just made them more camp-happy. Which is exactly what we told Wargaming it would do. And, time again, Wargaming has asserted that they know the game better than us and that everything's totally fine.

I started playing a bit again after 2 month break or so. Been scared to take out my Bismarck after watching all the Flamu deep water torp vids

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

MikeC posted:

I started playing a bit again after 2 month break or so. Been scared to take out my Bismarck after watching all the Flamu deep water torp vids

Deep water torps aren't that bad, you just have to be learn how to predict when people have fired torps at you. Plus, Bismarck gets hydro, so spotting them shouldn't be an issue if you know there's a PA DD around.

You're only really hosed if your opponent has a Unicum Midway division, since you're probably target number 1 for them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Deepwater torps are much better at killing cruisers than regular torps, there's not all that much difference between them and regular torps at killing battleships

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, in the right circumstances, torp reload Kagero is insane.

Meanwhile, my glut of useless supercontainers continues:

This is the 3rd spotting plane mod I've gotten, as well as 3 damage control mods and NO radar or boost mods out of 11 collected.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Are German DDs still viable or should I just go Pan Asian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What meta changes make German BBs bad? I have the T9 on that line.

Also, are they actually bad, or just not comically OP like they used to be?