Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own
This poll is closed.
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 47 24.48%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 27 14.06%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 70 36.46%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 48 25.00%
Total: 192 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/alitamovie/status/939215626987433984

Those eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/jesuisundziu/status/939220184912596992

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

This made me laugh more than it should have.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is this what anime looks like to normies

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I don't know what to do

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
and it's pg13 too....

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Let's think about the series of events here.

Someone proposed this idea. They had multiple people they pitched this idea to, for sure. Then those people had to get funding for the movie from a big company. Then they had to get someone to do the work. Then someone had to do the work, look at it and QC it. Then they had to show it to the people who thought up the idea. Then they got approval to keep going and do the rest of the movie. Then they had to do screenings of this.

Why, at no point in that process, did someone not say, "Whoa, what the hell is this? This is freaky, why are you doing this? Stop it. Cut it right the hell out."?

It's just baffling.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

It's like Cameron and marketing/the studio were arguing over how white she should look, so they compromised.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Why do her eyes look like they’re going to pop out of her head?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heres a few of the rejected designs:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If they purposefully made it so her face sends the audience into the uncanny valley I can kinda get that. I'm more mad about the pg13 rating than anything.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
james cameron has been talking about wanting to make a battle angel alita film for like twenty years so I'm surprised it's actually happening instead of being "a thing he wants to do" forever

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

If they purposefully made it so her face sends the audience into the uncanny valley I can kinda get that. I'm more mad about the pg13 rating than anything.

The eyes are a bit much I think. They probably could have just used CGI to touch up her face and make her look more unreal and that would have worked, but by giving her anime eyes it goes a little to far into creepy to me.

EDIT:

Wark Say posted:

Y'know what? Fine, the eyes are kinda too big, she kinda looks like one of the Frozen ladies plopped into a live-action setting and it doesn't mesh quite so well. Just... please be good.

Yeah but directing it is Robert Rodriguez who hasn't made a good film in nearly a decade.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 8, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know what? Fine, the eyes are kinda too big, she kinda looks like one of the Frozen ladies plopped into a live-action setting and it doesn't mesh quite so well. Just... please be good.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What's weird is everyone else has normal rear end eyes.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
This film is actually a sequel to the Tim Burton movie Big Eyes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

This film is actually a sequel to the Tim Burton movie Big Eyes.

Christoph Waltz is in both, this checks out.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's weird is everyone else has normal rear end eyes.

i think the point is to make alita look weirdly out-of-place, but iirc in the manga basically everyone looked like a goddamn weirdo

i don't really expect the movie to do anything interesting with the material, it'll probably just follow the broad strokes of a few of the arcs mashed together and probably change the ending of one of them to be less depressing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 8, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maybe Martian combat cyborgs have big eyes to go along with all the genetic manipulation those drat Martians do.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe Martian combat cyborgs have big eyes to go along with all the genetic manipulation those drat Martians do.

Mars will never be free until the sands run red with racist Earther blood.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Mister Facetious posted:

Mars will never be free until the sands run red with racist Earther blood.

Don't the sands of Mars already run red?

I guess they'd be even more red with the blood, though... I see your point. Never mind, carry on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

my perfect game of daisukissu became a study in whether ai is alive, and the answer is the cpu is gay and we won a gay ending through cooperation

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

my perfect game of daisukissu became a study in whether ai is alive, and the answer is the cpu is gay and we won a gay ending through cooperation

what is the next classics of game you will play

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DoubleDonut posted:

what is the next classics of game you will play

magical date

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Beato Believer posted:

Don't the sands of Mars already run red?

The sand and dirt of mars is actually mostly brown.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Technically it's regolith!
Sand and dirt contain organics.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
lol at worrying about the Hollywood adaptation of [good piece of foreign media] in 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
same

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DisDisDis posted:

lol at worrying about the Hollywood adaptation of [good piece of foreign media] in 2017
You joke, but last night I had a nightmare about Gintama getting a Hollywood remake. And they made it PG-13.

:doink:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

fuckin hell

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2017/12/08/curvature-blindness-illusion/

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Optical illusions are super cool hell yeah

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I don't see it.

e: Oh wait now I do.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Nooooooo

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
never trust yer lyin' eyes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sindai posted:

Brains are such ridiculous kludge jobs, it's the best.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

kludge jobs

lewd

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sindai posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

This

• Locked thread