Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i hate nytimes because their comments dont load sometimes and it triggers me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

The only red I'm seeing is if things look similar to 2016 or 2014.

Virginia suggests that this is not a result I should expect.

Yeah, but those are not just a little red, they're R+8/R+10. But I think the most important point isn't what does this one poll show - it's one poll - but how wide the variation that single poll gets in applying different LV screens. And that means that it's much more important to ask what sort of LV screen any particular poll is using than look at just the topline.

I also think that the way those results shake out gives me a lot of hope that it's the pro-Jones side that's the better LV screen given that this is an actually competitive race. But the real message I take from this is that the margin for error on any results are huge and this could be anything from a Jones landslide to a Moore landslide.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rick Wilson might still be a dousebag bug he does have the best twitter burns against the Trumpers

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dollars to donuts the $5 million was offered after she was pregnant.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

we should start taking bets on how the alabama race will go

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FuturePastNow posted:

I think the general skeevyness of Moore will depress Republican turnout, by itself maybe not enough to sway the election but if Jones can get enough Dems to get out and vote then it actually matters.

Will probably be very close either way.

Keep in mind that Moore was never that popular with the GOP down there even before the allegations, since they thought he was a big loudmouth rear end in a top hat. Yeah he got elected to the supreme court there twice but both times by a lot closer of a margin than it should have been.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Jones +3

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, but those are not just a little red, they're R+8/R+10. But I think the most important point isn't what does this one poll show - it's one poll - but how wide the variation that single poll gets in applying different LV screens. And that means that it's much more important to ask what sort of LV screen any particular poll is using than look at just the topline.

I also think that the way those results shake out gives me a lot of hope that it's the pro-Jones side that's the better LV screen given that this is an actually competitive race. But the real message I take from this is that the margin for error on any results are huge and this could be anything from a Jones landslide to a Moore landslide.

Agreed.

In particular the 2014 numbers are in there as a baseline. Sessions ran virtually unopposed in 2014 and that electorate looks nothing like what the overall political climate is now. Still provides a good baseline though.

And the weighting by 2016 vote + self-reported voting thing is concerning. On the other hand, I think it is very reasonable to expect there to be a lot of new voters given the push Doug Jones made to register ex-felons and the like plus this being the first competitive state wide race in Alabama since the George H.W. Bush administration.

enraged_camel posted:

Bush v. Gore or 2017 VA House of Delegates level recount insanity

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Trump: the biggest civil rights victory was my electoral college win over lying Hillary.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

The forums can't handle that many users getting banned.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Moore + .5 or some poo poo there's no doubt that Moore will win.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

Jones +11

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Feldegast42 posted:

Rick Wilson might still be a dousebag bug he does have the best twitter burns against the Trumpers

Yep, I'm probably gonna have to unfollow him soon after Trump loses, but until then, he's a very amusing follow while the GOP is in Trump's tiny hands.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jones by one vote

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

literally zero votes for moore

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Madkal posted:

Trump: the biggest civil rights victory was my electoral college win over lying Hillary.

He'll talk about how the fake news is a violation of his civil rights.

Really though, he's just afraid of being around that many black people.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I was thinking "man, Wednesday morning's Trump twitter will be fun if Jones wins" but then I realized, no it won't. It'll be dead silence, and Trump might even go back and delete a few Moore support tweets.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

beejay posted:

Holy poo poo, was this guy in a fire or something?

cleft palate and something or other

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/939258169351725061

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Well maybe he should try being in a fire.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/axios/status/939104989527539712

:sigh:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I posted this yesterday when everyone was telling me that I was wrong for saying that white gop voters don't really care about the allegations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Old couple behind me at airport.

"Some Arizona senator offered a woman five thousand dollars to be a surrogate."
"They're all a bunch of animals."
"Does that mean he wanted a baby or sex...?"
"They're all full of poo poo."
"He says he's going to resign in January. Yeah, hah, that's when you're all gonna be removed anyway. You think we don't know!"

I wanted to correct them on at least three points but meh it would been assholish. I definitely would have if they said it was a Democrat who did it though, the classic Fox news trick.

Like...is this the typical level of political awareness? Kinda getting a general story while getting all the details wrong?

Oh God they're talking about Clinton...

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Bottom Liner posted:

I posted this yesterday when everyone was telling me that I was wrong for saying that white gop voters don't really care about the allegations.

Because you were. if 8/10 white women in alabama are GOP voters, that means 2 aren't showing up. if 1/4 of your voters aren't going to show up, then it's a race that jones can win if he can turn out the 2 white women that won't vote for moore, and a decent percentage of people who aren't white women.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

60% of white women is very bad for a Republican in Alabama.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Because you were. if 8/10 white women in alabama are GOP voters, that means 2 aren't showing up. if 1/4 of your voters aren't going to show up, then it's a race that jones can win if he can turn out the 2 white women that won't vote for moore, and a decent percentage of people who aren't white women.

Are you assuming a 100% voter turnout in a special election? :lol:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh btw, what's the deal with people like Gillibrand, who were demanding Franken's resignation, but waffled immensely when the same question was asked about Trump?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pander posted:

"He says he's going to resign in January. Yeah, hah, that's when you're all gonna be removed anyway. You think we don't know!"

I wanted to correct them on at least three points but meh it would been assholish. I definitely would have if they said it was a Democrat who did it though, the classic Fox news trick.

Like...is this the typical level of political awareness? Kinda getting a general story while getting all the details wrong?

They're old.

They live in a world of their own creation.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pander posted:

You monster, you know that poor people flying is the reason w ehave global warming!

I am imagining a 60 something white couple, and yes that is pretty representative of political awareness.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Hmm for some reason I doubt your account of how everyone else was wrong and you were right and cool

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jones by .2 and Moore tries to litigate the outcome until Generic Republican takes the seat back in 2020

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you assuming a 100% voter turnout in a special election? :lol:

The Dunning Kruger effect is real, and you are a wonderful example.

edit: also, the whole mention of "people not showing up" would indicate a less than 100% turnout, you idiot.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 8, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

Your point was, and remains extremely stupid. A generic Republican would crush Jones even with a potential big blue wave building up. Moore's scandals is the why the race is competitive.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I think they hit a nerve.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

I fundamentally don't understand how this is possible, or people in general really.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The Dunning Kruger effect is real, and you are a wonderful example.

Why? What I posted was a simple, undeniable fact.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CubanMissile posted:

I fundamentally don't understand how this is possible, or people in general really.

Old, white women are morons.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

This thread is going to melt down when Moore wins, isn't it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

course he won't, he(more likely his staff) know he will say some dumb poo poo, hell i am sure he will privately.

beejay posted:

Holy poo poo, was this guy in a fire or something?

best case scenario is he genuinely wanted a kid and because of his bullshit theology, it had to be his wife who couldn't conceive, so he had to find someone to carry the seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Rigel posted:

Why? What I posted was a simple, undeniable fact.

I quoted the wrong post. You are excellent.

• Locked thread