Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

Does anyone know how long Happy's season is supposed to be? The comic it's based off of is only four issues long and it sounds like they'd run out of material to adapt pretty quickly.

Eight episodes and the first covers all of issue one plus a little of two. It’s a fairly loose adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IRQ posted:

I don't think there is, you can find some sparse info in the cord cutting thread in the Inspect your Gadgets subforum but you may as well just ask here since a lot of us have/have tried them.

Ah ok.

I guess my question is out of PSVue / Hulu / Youtube / Sling is there one that would be the best?

I like PSVue but their interface on the Roku is pretty garbage I also have Sling but mostly for the few channels that PSVue doesn't have.

One thing that really bothers me about PSVue on the Roku at least is that I added a show to my watch list but since the show wasn't on this week and it doesn't look like its going to be on next week they dropped it from the watch list and I have no way to see if its going to automatically record it the next time its on.

I'm not a huge fan of the new Hulu interface but I would be willing to use it if their LiveTV option was good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

Eight episodes and the first covers all of issue one plus a little of two. It’s a fairly loose adaptation

How is the original series, anyway? I’m a huge Morrison fan but never got to that one. Is it one of his lighter reads or is it dense as gently caress like most of his stuff?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Vikings watchers: How are they interpreting Ivar the Boneless? History doesn't really know what that epithet means.

He's got club feet and kinda withered/weak legs because of it, I haven't seen any of the newest season but late last season Floki made a chariot for him to ride into battle with.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok.

I guess my question is out of PSVue / Hulu / Youtube / Sling is there one that would be the best?

I think it depends on the person. The interfaces are all pretty different in how good or awful they are between what you're using to watch them, they all have different channel lineups (even within the same service depending on your local market), and I guess DVR functionality is something all of them(?) have now, but it all works differently too.

I had Vue for like 9 months, but when they jacked up the price and I started getting unskippable commercials on recorded shows I canceled it and went back to :filez: because I don't watch much live tv anyway.

I would use one if it was convenient and cheap enough, which maybe Google will manage when the youtube one is fully out?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Re Happy: No idea, just relaying what my friend told me about the filming

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MarcusSA posted:

Streaming cable chat

I’ve tried all of them except YouTube TV and Playstation Vue is my personal favorite. But it really all depends on what channels you want, DVR needs, and device you’re using it on.

My advice? Sign up for trials for all of them, take them for a spin. I really wanted to like Sling TV, but the limited DVR space ended up being a no-go for me. DirectTV Now didn’t have DVR (and their “72 hour catchup” is just dolled up on demand). Hulu’s interface made it incredibly difficult to see what was on the cable channels and really seemed focused on being a glorified DVR. And YouTube TV I didn’t bother trying because it doesn’t (and probably never will) have Fire TV or Apple TV apps.

That all said, I fully expect ISPs to start imposing fees for streaming cable subscribers as soon as Net Neutrality gets hosed. When that happens I’ll probably go back to spending ~$25/mo for a VPN and Usenet and pirate all my poo poo again. Or maybe something REALLY complicated/convoluted like getting another T-Mobile line and have an always-on tethered connection to my Apple TV because they ignore data use from streaming video services, even when you’re tethering :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Psych: The Movie, already great 10 seconds in.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

muscles like this! posted:

Psych: The Movie, already great 10 seconds in.

Yeah, I just went looking for a thread and didn't see one.

"Sean, you know Prince isn't really dead."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

:( That Lassie scene.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, Psych: The Movie was fun. Woody showing up seemed a little contrived but other than that the cameos worked. The Lassie one was kind of a downer though as it was super obvious that he is still recovering from his stroke as one side of his face didn't move when he was talking. They tried to cover for it but it was still pretty obvious. On a brighter note the Buzz cameo was a blast and made me laugh really hard.

In a pre-air interview Roday mentioned that this is definitely not leading toward a full on revival but USA is thinking of bringing them back for a semi-annual movie thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

How is the original series, anyway? I’m a huge Morrison fan but never got to that one. Is it one of his lighter reads or is it dense as gently caress like most of his stuff?

It's a lighter read, but I also thought it was a gigantic pile of poo poo. The show is a massive improvement because it turns it from a lovely ~edgy~ indie comic into Literally Crank 3.

e: like I would say the original comic is a contender for worst thing Morrison has ever written. Easily top 5 worst.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's a lighter read, but I also thought it was a gigantic pile of poo poo. The show is a massive improvement because it turns it from a lovely ~edgy~ indie comic into Literally Crank 3.

e: like I would say the original comic is a contender for worst thing Morrison has ever written. Easily top 5 worst.

Well if you go around comparing things and making lists, something will always be on the bottom.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Look, I read The Clown At Midnight. You can't just say that

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a thread for the various TV streaming apps such as PSVue and the like? I could have sworn there was one but I just can't find it.

I think there WAS at one point, but probably not anymore.

FWIW I've tried PSVue and Sling and didn't feel that either of them were worth it, especially after PSVue lost all the Viacom stations and jacked up their prices.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Look, I read The Clown At Midnight. You can't just say that

The Clown at Midnight ain't got poo poo on the Happy comic, though the reasons it's bad are pretty broadly similar (way too overly edgy for no real reason).

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've been on DirecTV Now since the beginning and I really like it. They've consistently added channels every few months, including ABC and NBC. Initially there was quite a bit of buffering and errors with how many streams we had open at any given time (only two are allowed to play at once). I've also tried Sling since there were a couple of sports channels I couldn't get on DTVN and I absolutely hate its interface, have not experimented with the other options. Since we signed up with their launch offer of $35/mo for life for their middle package so valuewise it's amazing for us.

For DirecTV Now these are the main problems I can see:
-Only 2 streams can play at once, luckily my wife and I are the only ones who would be watching anything
-No DVR function. I think there have been rumors that this will be incorporated, but honestly it's not really a huge issue since we can just watch things thru the apps for each channel as needed.
-Occasional buffering issues. This seems really dependent on the specific device and your internet connection (obviously).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

See I can't even conceive of why you'd want it at all if there's no DVR function.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ditto if they do add DVR and you can't skip commercials.

I just can't do commericals, at all, anymore.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I guess I don't give a poo poo about commercials and just instantly start loving around with my phone or tablet whenever there's a break. Not a big deal to me personally.

edit: If there were a way to specifically target and skip that goddamn smug piece of poo poo addiction hotline commercial I would pay good money for it.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 8, 2017

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Next year they're supposed to up the concurrent streams to 3 and adding a DVR.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/05/directv-now-1m-subscribers/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Inspector 34 posted:

I guess I don't give a poo poo about commercials and just instantly start loving around with my phone or tablet whenever there's a break. Not a big deal to me personally.

edit: If there were a way to specifically target and skip that goddamn smug piece of poo poo addiction hotline commercial I would pay good money for it.

In the age of peak tv, the time savings are significant.

The commercials over a 13 episode season of a typical hour long show adds up to almost 4 hours. Ain't no one got time for that poo poo anyone. That's half a season of a Netflix original!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

bull3964 posted:

Ain't no one got time for that poo poo anyone.

I've got time for that. I'm not trying to squeeze in every ounce of content I can in my off time. I watch TV or movies to relax at home, not to maximize my watchable hours.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex just added a commercial skip feature for its dvr, I wonder how good it is.

E: oops missed a bunch of posts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Inspector 34 posted:

I've got time for that. I'm not trying to squeeze in every ounce of content I can in my off time. I watch TV or movies to relax at home, not to maximize my watchable hours.

Why waste your time with commercials even if you have it?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season 2 of The Crown is off to a phenomenal start.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't consider it time wasted I guess. I can pick up a book and read for a few minutes or poke around on FB or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I do sometimes get annoyed by commercials. Especially on HULU where it's probably the same 5 commercials over and over and over, but I grew up without a DVR and haven't really had much access to one over the last 10 years or so, so it's just not that big of a deal.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Clown at Midnight ain't got poo poo on the Happy comic, though the reasons it's bad are pretty broadly similar (way too overly edgy for no real reason).

okay look, TCAM is among the worst THINGS I've ever read, so I'm skeptical at best that anything, ANYTHING, can beat it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also I would disagree that's why TCAM sucks; to me, its terrible because its the ur-example of "bad Morrison" - he gets obsessed with a dumb gimmick,shoves it into something he's writing, writes it obscenely, incredibly badly, like hoo boy that prose is loving atrocious, and then overwrites and dwells on it like an rear end in a top hat so you can't ignore how loving bad and convoluted it is.

Boy is The Clown At Midnight terrible.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok.

I have used all of these, but Youtube (this is due to some missing channels). I don't like Sling, because I hate their live TV interface and I had buffering issues (with PSVue on the same channel and same box no issues like a minute later). I didn't even finish the free trial.

Hulu is stupid as hell when it comes to DVR. Their regular DVR service doesn't allow you to skip commercials. Instead you have to upgrade to their enhanced DVR. Also their DVR doesn't work for HBO (which is no big deal since you can use HBO Now/Go). If it wasn't for the DVR bullshit good chance I would be using their service right now.

PSVue has my favorite user interface (the way they handle live tv and the guide is perfect) of any services I have used so far, and their DVR works well. That said I don't like the $10 price increase, but I can't find a service I like as much. I do agree about the Roku PSVue interface. I tried a Roku for a day before returning it due to how bad the PSVue interface was. That said I have several AppleTVs and the PSVue interface is a dream on them.

I thought I heard that PSVue updated their Roku interface? Doesn't it match the one of AppleTV and PS4 now?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 8, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Plex just added a commercial skip feature for its dvr, I wonder how good it is.

From what I’ve heard Plex’s OTA DVR works... okay, not great. Since I have an Apple TV/iPhone/iPad I went all in on Channels and their DVR service. It’s more expensive than Plex (you have to buy the iOS/TVOS apps separately and the DVR is $8/mo) but the apps are really well designed, work perfectly, and offer commercial skip.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

suddenlyissoon posted:

Next year they're supposed to up the concurrent streams to 3 and adding a DVR.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/05/directv-now-1m-subscribers/

If they actually do all that and the base package stays $35 I might try that out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rifftrax released a commentary of Westworld S01E01.

https://www.rifftrax.com/westworld-season-1-episode-1

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Hey. Hey everyone. I have some incredible news for you all. Prepare yourselves, ok?

They're making a second season of Big Little Lies!!!!

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/big-little-lies-hbo-season-2-renewed.html

And don't worry everyone, Laura Dern is back and better than ever:

quote:

Renata (Laura Dern) becomes furious when Mr. Perkins’s lessons on global warming causes Amabella to have a panic attack.

Wow! I can't wait!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

okay look, TCAM is among the worst THINGS I've ever read, so I'm skeptical at best that anything, ANYTHING, can beat it.

I liked Happy, but it is def lesser Morrison. I didn't think it was too bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is DirecTV Now a completely different service than watching TV through the DirecTV app? Because oh boy is that app hot garbage! When I used to have an HDHomeRun set up, watching live TV on my phone through nPlayer was a better experience and even that was super limited.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The worst thing about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is that it's only 8 episodes long. Jesus christ did ASP blow this away.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hope and vaseline posted:

The worst thing about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is that it's only 8 episodes long. Jesus christ did ASP blow this away.

Yeah I thought it was 10 or more episodes and when I went to watch episode 6 this morning I was all like "oh man and it's just now getting really good!"

It takes chops and balls to intentionally bomb in standup and goddamn did she nail it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah I thought it was 10 or more episodes and when I went to watch episode 6 this morning I was all like "oh man and it's just now getting really good!"

It takes chops and balls to intentionally bomb in standup and goddamn did she nail it.

Holy poo poo, wait until you see episode 7!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The final season of House of Cards will be an eight-episode run to the finish focusing on Claire:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/ted-sarandos-says-house-of-cards-will-have-sixth-season-1202219529/

Given that it's eight instead of 13, do I take that to mean five episodes were already done with Spacey which will never see the light of day or that that's all they're willing to put into rewriting The Claire Underwood Show? As much as Spacey can go screw himself for his actions, I was curious to hatewatch the (characters') final battle between Claire and Frank in the hopes that they both got comeuppance.

• Locked thread