Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I didn't know there was a fan translation of PSO2.

I really want to play this now.

Also, this is probably one of the best Monster Factory's so far, I was laughing and gasping the whole time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/939273452300648450

Giant Bomb mentioned the John Leguizamo film The Pest on a podcast and it's infected Justin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAB8dNMoXZ0

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Waffleman_ posted:

Giant Bomb mentioned the John Leguizamo film The Pest on a podcast and it's infected Justin.

Well...that's a thing I've seen, now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would you believe that this film is based on The Most Dangerous Game?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Waffleman_ posted:

Would you believe that this film is based on The Most Dangerous Game?

My mom's a high school English teacher so when I was a kid, I had read all of her books over many afternoons.

So when I saw that movie, I had the weirdest experience watching they movie, because it was a familiar story, told in the most bizarre way.

This was not the only insane high school literature reimagination that John Leguizamo has appeared in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mikedawson posted:

I didn't know there was a fan translation of PSO2.

I really want to play this now.

Also, this is probably one of the best Monster Factory's so far, I was laughing and gasping the whole time through.

The character creator is probably the most fun part of PSO2. The rest of the game is a series of increasingly frustrating level grinds and hunting down rare spawn versions of rare bosses and hoping they'll rarely drop rare items so you can get slightly stronger and fight the next difficulty of double plus rare monsters.

Waffleman_ posted:

The 90's were truly a dire era.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
As soon as Griffin said "I want to be a Human, a Numan, or a Duman" I died and am posting from hell

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/OMGTSN/status/939265917850210304

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Pest is insanely racist, I have no idea why it's suddenly become a meme.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tonight’s live show was extremely good. I can’t wait to listen to it again, probably my favorite live show so far.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
https://twitter.com/jengaginger/status/939455917069881344

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
as awful and stereotypical and racist as the pest is, I can still quote that movie almost line for line from watching it a million times as a kid, and I still love the intro

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

It's like if Wilford Brimley and M. Bison had a baby.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Waffleman_ posted:

Well that's 3 minutes I can never get back

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Moatman posted:

Well that's 3 minutes I can never get back

9 minutes :drac:

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

What is the second podcast that the crowd shouts out during the new(ish) MaxFun advert for MBMBaM? The first one is Serial, but I can't make out the second one.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Tears In A Vial posted:

What is the second podcast that the crowd shouts out during the new(ish) MaxFun advert for MBMBaM? The first one is Serial, but I can't make out the second one.

99 Percent Invisible.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

99 Percent Invisible.

Cheeeers.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Oh christ this dogpound question is real bad

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I can't stop watching the pest intro

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have never heard of Jimmy Buffet or any of his work outside of MBMBaM

in my mind(emotionally, not rationally) he has always been in the same category as characters like Amélie and now I'm confronted with the reality of him being a real person

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 10, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

IronicDongz posted:

in my mind(emotionally, not rationally) he has always been in the same category as characters like Amélie and now I'm confronted with the reality of him being a real person

You should have more respect for the man, he is a survivor of the Jurassic World incident.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

You should have more respect for the man, he is a survivor of the Jurassic World incident.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

IronicDongz posted:

My father has been a parrothead since 1975. I grew up listening to his music. The lyrics to Cheeseburger in Paradise were indelibly stamped upon my brain by the age of 4.

Basically, I was born into a tropical prison world.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

IronicDongz posted:

in a year when all our heroes are either dying our raping people, Mr James Buffet remains just a nice older guy who wants to make coconut shrimp and drink margaritas on a boat and I, for one, am glad.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jimmy Buffet is basically The Dude with better friends.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jimmy Buffet is reggae for dads

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jimmy Buffet is reggae for dads

do you know what reggae is

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I finally got around to listening to his segment on this week's episode, and there were times that I genuinely thought it was Clint talking. It was really weird.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Alaois posted:

do you know what reggae is

Yes, and boat themed soft rock is the closest to it my dad will ever get

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yes, and boat themed soft rock is the closest to it my dad will ever get

...mmm that's fair, actually.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

jimmy buffett is the worst guest they've ever had, everyone was somehow starstruck and let him go on and on without saying anything funny

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

inferis posted:

jimmy buffett is the worst guest they've ever had, everyone was somehow starstruck and let him go on and on without saying anything funny

what happens when you let ironic appreciation go too far

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Alaois posted:

what happens when you let ironic appreciation go too far

PLEASE. MORE. RESPECT.
HE IS A SURVIVOR OF THE JURASSIC WORLD INCIDENT

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I didn’t mind the lack of jokes because the whole time I was just amazed that this podcast by three dingleberries from nowhere had become popular enough to get Jimmy Buffett on their show. Also it was really funny when Jimmy revealed that he has a resting heart rate in the low 50s.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ariong posted:

I didn’t mind the lack of jokes because the whole time I was just amazed that this podcast by three dingleberries from nowhere had become popular enough to get Jimmy Buffett on their show. Also it was really funny when Jimmy revealed that he has a resting heart rate in the low 50s.

Pretty much this. I may have a different opinion if he somehow comes back later down the road, but for a one time thing I loved this episode.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The Boys got one of the richest celebs on the planet on the show and were clearly so awestruck that they let him speak interrupted on just about anything.

Not complaining, not that I would've done any differently in their position, and good on him for pretty passionately addressing social ills of our times - but around the middle of Jimmy's "You need to go to Puerto Rico and start your own avocado farm, have you seen the devastation there" speech I thought "This isn't the funniest episode of the dumb brothers goof show."

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ariong posted:

Also it was really funny when Jimmy revealed that he has a resting heart rate in the low 50s.

i take it back, there was one genuinely hilarious moment in his appearance

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Propaganda Hour posted:

Oh christ this dogpound question is real bad

yeah, this. i can't imagine how they'd have handled it before the dueling questions format. i feel like it was the only hardcore dud this show, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I can't stand Jimmy Buffett, but it is not his fault.

Many, many years ago, in the very early 90s, my parents and I spent 10 days at a Caribbean resort that was trying to become the new hot all-inclusive place for rich people to visit. They billed it as "exclusive," but what they meant was "too small to matter." Anyway, they suckered my parents in with some huge discount or something and off we went to attend this gala opening event.

One of the things in the brochure was "entertainment at every meal." At the first dinner, there was a man in his early fifties in the corner. He had a floral-print shirt, an acoustic guitar, a portable drum sequencer, a Peavey amp, and a repertoire of James Buffett's songs. It was kind of neat as a welcome to this little island. One table requested "Why Don't we Get Drunk (and Screw)" and everyone giggled when he changed the lyric to "and shoot pool." People sang along to the chorus of Margaritaville. He got polite, appreciative applause.

Then, he was at breakfast the next day.

And then he was at lunch.

And then dinner again.

They had hired one man, whose entire repertoire came from Jimmy Buffet's "Songs you Know by Heart" album, and not even the whole thing.

For.

Every.

Meal.

Honestly, you could tell he could tell it was wearing thin by day three, but he (apparently) had to play to fulfill his contract. So we got instrumental versions. Uptempo. Downtempo. But never any other songs. Never any Harry Belafonte, or Bob Marley, or even any Beach Boys. Just Margaritaville, Volcano, Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude, Pencil Thin Mustache, Fins, Son of a Son of a Sailor, Come Monday, Boat Drinks, and the big finisher of Cheeseburger in Paradise.

I'll never know why a man who appeared to be able to play the guitar fairly well could only ever play those songs from that album. Maybe he couldn't store more drum tracks in that sequencer's memory? Maybe he was a friend of a friend who didn't realize it was more than one performance? Was he tricked into doing it? Did the hotel manager pick the setlist and refuse to budge? Whatever his reasons, the mood around him went from appreciative to tolerating to accepting before it just settled on acrimony. People rushed past his station at the head of the buffet line, no longer making eye contact. People began arriving early so they could claim the tables farthest from him first. The applause stopped. No one sang along.

The hell of it was that he was being put up in one of the resort rooms, so even between meals he'd still be there at the pool, on the beach, or in the lounge. It was a tiny place, so there really wasn't a way to avoid running into the same people over and over. No one else was ever with him, though. Most people avoided eye contact. He was miserable. We were miserable. But he'd sure as hell be there at the next meal, playing and singing those same nine songs.

On about day 6, he announced, true or not, that he'd lost his voice and wouldn't be able to sing for us. The announcement got his first round of applause since day two.

Weirdly, I found the interview with him to be interesting and entertaining. I guess I don't mind the man himself, but I can't listen to those songs even now. It's not really his fault, after all.