Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Grab Coup and Reformation and ditch the Inquisitor.

Having only played Coup casually, what's the problem with Inquisitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

AceRimmer posted:

Anyone played Scoville before? Seems like a decent Euro and I can get it for $20

The only issue with Scoville is color mixing. If people understand that the pepper breeding chart is basically a paint mixing table, it plays fairly quickly. But otherwise you will have a lot of staring and pondering the chart.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Coup is good. It’s clear and simple, which makes it easy to start bluffing and calling bluffs. Bluffing is fun.

Reformation is mixed. The faction cards are good but the inquisitor is not. The inquisitor forces you to reveal your secrets, which is anti-bluffing and therefore anti-fun.

Rebellion is bad. New and unfamiliar abilities make players less confident, which makes them less likely to bluff or call bluffs, which is less fun. Interactions between roles are not any deeper or more interesting; rather, the need to have every role work with every other role makes the interactions more generic.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Medium Style posted:

Coup is good. It’s clear and simple, which makes it easy to start bluffing and calling bluffs. Bluffing is fun.

Reformation is mixed. The faction cards are good but the inquisitor is not. The inquisitor forces you to reveal your secrets, which is anti-bluffing and therefore anti-fun.

Rebellion is bad. New and unfamiliar abilities make players less confident, which makes them less likely to bluff or call bluffs, which is less fun. Interactions between roles are not any deeper or more interesting; rather, the need to have every role work with every other role makes the interactions more generic.

Thanks for the additional detail, I'll keep that in mind and see how people respond to Inquisitor. I got the fancy delux edition with the Brazilian art since I liked that more than the sci fi theme.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

AceRimmer posted:

Anyone played Scoville before? Seems like a decent Euro and I can get it for $20

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Picking a peck of pickled peppers possesses prodigious potential, but is prevented from perfection by petty problems. Planting peppers in the public plots produces places to pick powerful peppers. Planting powerful peppers lets you pocket points and produces places to pick more powerful peppers. Planning how you plant and place your pawn to pick powerful peppers, while preventing other players from pursuing their own plan, is pleasing and provocative. Put plainly: procuring peppers is a peak point of play.

Problems present themselves in the peripheral mechanics. Paying pennies for player priority is paramount in ways that are problematic to perceive. If a player preceding you purchases a recipe placard pivotal to your plan, the peck of peppers you've picked may become pointless. Play permits six players, but a populous party prevents paying proper attention to player plans; a pair-plus-one is the proper paradigm. Play proceeds until a preset portion of the placards have been purchased, this predominantly feels premature and perfunctory.

I have not purchased or played the expansion. As presented previously, placing peppers in the public plots is pleasant. Providing private plots seems polar to that purpose. Perhaps it is a premium product, but I have not perceived any prose to that point.

My prevailing perception of picking peppers is pretty positive. It possesses problems, but if you are preferential then I propose you purchase.

my gaming group REALLY hates when I do the rules explanation for this game

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dancer posted:

Having only played Coup casually, what's the problem with Inquisitor?
It's a card that gives solid information in game that's designed around guesswork and logic.

If I have one card and you Inquisitor me, I literally cannot ever lie, because you now have perfect information about me.

:allears: I forgot how amazing this post was.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

If I have one card and you Inquisitor me, I literally cannot ever lie, because you now have perfect information about me.

So if you have one card and I try to inquisit you, you need to call me a liar and cross your fingers. Same as if you have one card and I tried to assassinate you.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

rydiafan posted:

So if you have one card and I try to inquisit you, you need to call me a liar and cross your fingers. Same as if you have one card and I tried to assassinate you.

In the assassin situation you can at least call Contessa. We played Inquistor as the inquisitioned having the option to switch their spied card but it still wasn't good.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Some Numbers posted:

It's a card that gives solid information in game that's designed around guesswork and logic.

:allears: I forgot how amazing this post was.

rydiafan posted:

PJOmega posted:

In the assassin situation you can at least call Contessa. We played Inquistor as the inquisitioned having the option to switch their spied card but it still wasn't good.

My mystery novel loving mother is going to go nuts for this game, I'm feeling really vindicated right now.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is Fief any good? A coworker is looking to offload some games. He's got that, an expansion, Cyclades, and Merchant of Venus. I'll not that familiar with any of them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is Fief any good? A coworker is looking to offload some games. He's got that, an expansion, Cyclades, and Merchant of Venus. I'll not that familiar with any of them.

Cyclades is pretty good, a really tight dudes on a map game with an action auction mechanic. Merchant of Venus I have a soft spot for despite being a 1980s roll to move game. I can really only recommend playing the classic edition if it's the FFG version.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

got to play mage knight today. probably won despite volkare dumping 12 wounds apiece on us, but i was a little unclear if we did it right

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Someone linked this on the facebooks:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/12/ars-technicas-ultimate-board-game-buyers-guide/

You can nitpick a few of them, but those are mostly worthy inclusions.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Magnetic North posted:

Someone linked this on the facebooks:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/12/ars-technicas-ultimate-board-game-buyers-guide/

You can nitpick a few of them, but those are mostly worthy inclusions.

Potion Explosion is fun once or twice. Wouldn't want to play it more than that though.

There's a number of fairly mediocre or outright bad games there:
Sagrada
Roll Player looks like Sagrada but worse
Terraforming Mars is fun but just isn't a good game no matter how much I want it to be
Ticket to Ride is one of the blandest most boring games I've ever played. There's virtually no strategy.
Star Realms failings have been discussed many times here

The first half of the list is better though. I'll vouch for:
Splendor,
Kingdomino,
Century Spice Road,
Concordia

What are people's thoughts about Kingdom Builder? A fast dudes on a map game is intriguing and I can usually get some enjoyment out of any game with a building theme.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ticket to Ride: Europe is listed only as a "gateway game," which I think is about right.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thinking of Kingdom Builder as a dudes on a map game is pretty funny. It's an abstract game that's one of my favorites of all time but there's no dude fighting :)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sagrada seems interesting. What makes it mediocre or bad? I'm assuming usual problems with D6 variance?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

LLSix posted:

Potion Explosion is fun once or twice. Wouldn't want to play it more than that though.

There's a number of fairly mediocre or outright bad games there:
Sagrada
Roll Player looks like Sagrada but worse
Terraforming Mars is fun but just isn't a good game no matter how much I want it to be
Ticket to Ride is one of the blandest most boring games I've ever played. There's virtually no strategy.
Star Realms failings have been discussed many times here

The first half of the list is better though. I'll vouch for:
Splendor,
Kingdomino,
Century Spice Road,
Concordia

What are people's thoughts about Kingdom Builder? A fast dudes on a map game is intriguing and I can usually get some enjoyment out of any game with a building theme.

Splendor is the absolute definition of mediocre. It's the baseline by which I judge all other games. I actually didn't mind Sagrada, but I only played it once so perhaps I didn't see major flaws.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Sagrada seems interesting. What makes it mediocre or bad? I'm assuming usual problems with D6 variance?

4 of us played which entailed 2 seconds of picking an obvious choice and then 5 minutes playing on our phone while waiting for everyone else to take their turns because there's nothing else to do or think about, and it doesn't matter what anyone else does.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sagrada is a dice drafting puzzle game, one that lets you vary your difficulty and it moves quickly enough to not overstay its welcome. Roll Player is the same but with more choices and optimization.

Both are far and above Splendor, a game I also measure all other games with. Century Spice Road is a better splendor but it too is a game that can be played in absolute silence.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Clanpot Shake posted:

Fief is a remake of an old game, and sometimes it shows. If you want four hours of mediaeval Diplomacy with extra added Popes it's hard to go wrong, though.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Jedit posted:

Fief is a remake of an old game, and sometimes it shows. If you want four hours of mediaeval Diplomacy with extra added Popes it's hard to go wrong, though.

I watched the SUSD review and I think I'd have the same opinion of it - great theme but if the rules are poo poo, oh well. CK2 is one of my favorite games so the theme is right up my alley, but I don't think I'd have anyone to play it with. Plus I'm getting TI4 for xmas so I have my hours-long-diplomacy marathon game covered.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Big McHuge posted:

Splendor is the absolute definition of mediocre. It's the baseline by which I judge all other games. I actually didn't mind Sagrada, but I only played it once so perhaps I didn't see major flaws.

Splendor is my favorite fast game right now. It's not a brain burner, but it plays fast enough that I never mind playing and it makes a nice separator for heavier games. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Sagrada is multiplayer solitaire, but because everyone picks from the same pool of dice there's lots and lots of waiting. The people I know who like it, are also extra prone to analysis paralysis with it so it way overstays its welcome.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks, that does sound good. How are the components? I'm always leery of WizKids games but I'll put up with it if it's a good game. I still have a baggy of all the components that were replaced in mage knight :v:

Wooden cubes, punchout tokens, linen(?) finished cards. Not much to mess up really.

I printed out some tuckboxes for better storage, since there are nine races, each with their own stuff to separate out.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
There are games on there I'm not likely to be a fan of, but what I mean is that it includes games that are mostly well regarded.

I knew I'd seen previous lists with a lot of "Huh?" inclusions, and a bit of googling got me this: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/aug/28/20-awesome-board-games-you-may-never-have-heard-of This list includes a lot of games that are may not be forgotten, but do not represent the board gaming zeitgeist. Heroes Wanted? Firefly: The Game? Is Antiquity even in print?

Or, how about this article? http://www.independent.co.uk/extras...s-a6740436.html Among the best board games are Game of Thrones Clue, Gloomhaven, and The Logo Game?

What I'm saying is: usually these articles from relatively mainstream non-board-game-specific sources are unusable. The one from Ars is pretty strong. Compare it to the top 20 of the Dice Tower People's Choice from 2017, which I happen to think is a good place to start because it is voted on by the people:
Power Grid, Star Wars: Rebellion, Splendor, Lords of Waterdeep, Dead of Winter, King of Tokyo, Castles of Burgundy, Dominion, Five Tribes, Carcasonne, Codenames, Ticket To Ride, 7 Wonders: Duel, Viticulture, Terraforming Mars, 7 Wonders, Blood Rage, Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, Pandemic, Scythe.

People who use the Ars list will not end up accidentally playing something called Bad Beets, whatever that is.

Maybe I'm biased because it included my #1,2 and 3 games (Codenames, Concordia, Jaipur). v:shobon:v

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Antiquity is in fact back in print! (Or rather they did a print run)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played Caverna for the first time. It's like a more sedate, less stress Agricola, I never really felt pressured for food, there didn't really seem a way to deliberately starve others, and the action blocking seemed incidental. It was kind of relaxing but Agricola is just much more intense and interesting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I played Caverna for the first time. It's like a more sedate, less stress Agricola, I never really felt pressured for food, there didn't really seem a way to deliberately starve others, and the action blocking seemed incidental. It was kind of relaxing but Agricola is just much more intense and interesting.

Caverna is basically the start of Rosenberg's puzzle optimization infatuation where everything is available to you at the start and you're just optimizing your own player board. There is some necessary blocking, particularly if one person is adventuring uncontested they will win every time, but a lot of this formula was perfected in AFfO.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Plague inc good? We loved splendor all of pandemic including the one where your viruses, and any / all 1 c many games we have a group of 4 and I'm looking for any good recommendations

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Fief is actually quite short. Usually over in 2 hours

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

al-azad posted:

Caverna is basically the start of Rosenberg's puzzle optimization infatuation where everything is available to you at the start and you're just optimizing your own player board. There is some necessary blocking, particularly if one person is adventuring uncontested they will win every time, but a lot of this formula was perfected in AFfO.

AFoF?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If you are asking what AFfO is, it's A Feast for Odin.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

If you are asking what AFfO is, it's A Feast for Odin.

Otherwise, it's a fields of fire and let's not talk about that game.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Is Plague inc good? We loved splendor all of pandemic including the one where your viruses, and any / all 1 c many games we have a group of 4 and I'm looking for any good recommendations

Have you done Pandemic Legacy Season II, yet?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I thought it was rad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I didn't think I would need them again, but I bought some extra Mayday sleeves for TTA/sails of glory way back because of the typical size discrepancy issues endemic to Mayday sleeves. I had two extra bags left, which was perfect for 18CZ's middle-sized cards. Just FYI: small cards are mini-americans, and the large cards are standard american size.

The only thing I missed out on with the Kickstarter was getting paper money with Jojos on them, or just various kawaii animes for my train game.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 10, 2017

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Anyone have a chance to play Flip Ships before?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Agent Rush posted:

Anyone have a chance to play Flip Ships before?

Tried that this week, I don't think I want it enough to buy it, but I would certainly like to play it again. You flip cardboard discs (your ships, from the table edge or a wooden platform provided with the game) onto rows of cards (alien ships) to stop their advance into Earth's atmosphere and eventually try to take some longer shots at a box (the mothership) behind the furthest cards. Hit the mothership enough and you win. Each player gets different abilities for his 3 ship sizes and all the alien ships vary in speed, strength, and the potential to have heavy armor or a shield generator. I'd call it a great pub game but the table space required might be too much to easily setup most places.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
Just gonna brag for a sec. It was my birthday recently, back on the 27th, and my girlfriend and I are pretty loving broke, life isn't easy. Still, we try to splurge on gift occasions, but things were so desperate this year I would've been fine with a gift-wrapped bag of Hot Cheetos. Instead, I open a copy of Pandemic Legacy: Season 2, with a manila envelope attached. Bear in mind, we haven't finished Season 1 yet (the other couple we play just had a baby, which is so annoying and kind of selfish? if you've committed to a campaign? just saying) BUT turns out my girlfriend became good friends with an ex-coworker, who noticed our very tastefully arranged IKEA TV center board game storage, especially Pandemic. She sees the name Matt Leacock, and says she thinks she knows that dude. As far as I know he hangs out around the Northwest quite a bit, so seems legit, but she's totally sure, he's this family friend who makes "those board games like Monopoly or whatever".

So I open my present of Pandemic Legacy: Season 2, and inside the manila envelope was the rulebook for the game, scrawled upon by Matt Leacock wishing me luck ("you'll need it"), and also a Pandemic-branded surgical mask which is neat.

Sorry, just wanted to brag about my nice birthday present (the actual birthday was kind of terrifying because my girlfriend allowed me to eat a bunch of edibles before a surprise party with all my friends that SHE KNEW WAS COMING so I was crazy stoned and anxious) and now I just hope Season 2 will live up to the promise of Season 1 otherwise MATT LEACKOCK'S NAME WILL MEAN NOTHING TO ME NO LONGER.

(Matt Leacock if you for some reason lurk here then you should know Aurora is very nice and no matter your feelings for me she's like just the coolest and nicest and most generous gal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s awesome!