Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Keep is pretty nice for a basic note app, which is all I ever really needed. Of course, I'm trying not to get too attached, as I recognize that Google will kill it sometime in the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

B-Nasty posted:

Keep is pretty nice for a basic note app, which is all I ever really needed. Of course, I'm trying not to get too attached, as I recognize that Google will kill it sometime in the next few years.

I was going to make this same post.
Samsung note is OK once you've gotten used to it. It's pretty much a clone of iOS' way of doing things.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Blue Train posted:

colornote?

That's what i use and it definitely does the thing it's meant to do.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

B-Nasty posted:

Kill it? Nah, 2019 Keep is all about AI-powered cash transfers between your Keep Contacts, for those times when you're with your photogenic Millennial Friend Group at your favourite artisanal breakfast cereal bar and Joey chanted the wrong slogan in between mouthfuls so you have to cover for him, again

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well they apparently might be killing Play Music soon, so who freakin knows anymore
YouTube’s new music streaming service reportedly launching next March

Or I guess more likely it'll be a new app that kinda does the same thing but also kinda doesn't

Presumably it will also have nothing to do with YouTube TV, and YouTube Red will probably still be a thing somehow.

None of the above possibilities would surprise me, especially considering I had to pass the above article through 3 different apps (Newsstand, "search", and Chrome) before I could copy the URL.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't understand. They already have a streaming music service, it's called Google Play Music :confused:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's Google so they'll just have two competing music services that do slightly different things, with neither having all the features you actually want.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand. They already have a streaming music service, it's called Google Play Music :confused:

Article says its an effort to package GPM and YTR as one product that does both but its branding will be "YouTube". In reality it will be vvvvvvv

Endless Mike posted:

It's Google so they'll just have two competing music services that do slightly different things, with neither having all the features you actually want.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Youtube Red isn't even available in most of the world, including Canada. So I fully expect them to fold those products into one, and have it not be available here. That's so lovely. I think I'm gonna switch to Spotify just to avoid this incoming joke.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

They already do or am I misunderstanding YouTube Music?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Spotify is good af

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

They already do or am I misunderstanding YouTube Music?

Yet another product not available here :(

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
After using GPM for a few years, and being a Google fanatic, I tried Spotify premium and it's just really nice. Maybe Google can tighten up and entice me to come back.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How did you, or how should I, move your GPM playlists over to Spotify? That's honestly the one big thing holding me back, it would be loving terrible to have to remake everything.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I did not know how much I needed volume normalization until I tried GPM trial again. That was pointless 3 month trial :v: Well, not that Google has changed anything else either, still no desktop client, UI features geolocked :lol: and maybe it was just bad luck but immediately stumbled on bunch of albums that were on Spotify but not GPM... ah well

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

How did you, or how should I, move your GPM playlists over to Spotify? That's honestly the one big thing holding me back, it would be loving terrible to have to remake everything.

There is soundiiz and stamp that supposedly allow you to convert the playlists

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm still grandfathered into GPM's early adopter price ($8/month) and the lack of ads on YouTube is a nice extra perk, and with the content being mostly the same across platforms it'd take a lot to make me switch. Hopefully they won't do anything stupid enough to make me want to. Spotify is appealing just because more people use it and it's not tied into any other products, but I still wouldn't pay more for it.

Speaking of being tied to other products, Google and Amazon need to kiss and make up already. Pulling YouTube from Amazon devices is ridiculous, and the more stuff they integrate with YouTube the more ridiculous it'll become.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's the radios that's the killer feature about gpm, does Spotify have anything similar or is it just rigid playlists?

Being able to point it at an artist and tell it to play related poo poo is the best, and the pre made ones are great too

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Skarsnik posted:

It's the radios that's the killer feature about gpm, does Spotify have anything similar or is it just rigid playlists?

Being able to point it at an artist and tell it to play related poo poo is the best, and the pre made ones are great too

Spotify has both, pre-made radios and the option to create a radio based on an artist/album or even individual song.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Spotify definitely does seem to have that, so there's not much tying me to GPM anymore. Does Spotify work seamlessly with Google Assistant/Home?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

Spotify definitely does seem to have that, so there's not much tying me to GPM anymore. Does Spotify work seamlessly with Google Assistant/Home?

Can't speak to Home but I can tell Assistant to play my spotify playlists and it will do so.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Skarsnik posted:

Spotify has features for Radios for individual artists and genres. There's also a setting to continue playing similar music once you reach the end of an artist's album/playlist.

Google gave me 6 months of free GPM but I went back to Spotify after a week. Spotify's Discover Weekly feature (weekly auto generated playlist of music they think you'd like) is too good and spot on.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

As we don't get youtube red here I'm totally expecting them to gently caress up this merge somehow, so it's nice to know there's a useful alternative

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lowcrabdiet posted:

Spotify's Discover Weekly feature (weekly auto generated playlist of music they think you'd like) is too good and spot on.

Definitely agreed, and everyone is right about there being radio functionality but it is hit or miss for me as to whether I'll like what they pick; Pandora was way better in that respect

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The killer feature for GPM is no ads on YouTube. I can't ever go back.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bull3964 posted:

:argh:

gently caress yooooo

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, same. My family consumes of ton of music and YouTube so it made sense. I can't ever go back to those dark days of YouTube ads despite knowing Spotify is a better music solution.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Only if you're in one of like 4 countries, jerk :(

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I used Stamp to switch over with no problems, I just had to re-rip my Tool stuff since that's not streaming anywhere still.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

Only if you're in one of like 4 countries, jerk :(

Now I'm curious, is the hypothetical US P.O. box & VPN combo something people do where you are?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

Now I'm curious, is the hypothetical US P.O. box & VPN combo something people do where you are?

Nope. The few times I've tried it, it either doesn't work at all (the fake PO box thing, using "90210" is hilariously common) or the VPN ceases to work or exist. It's also just not worth the hassle, I don't know anyone who does that anymore.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I made Firefox with uBlock origin the default Youtube link handler on my phone. It's adequate for my occasional use.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks whoever recommended Soundiiz. It worked perfectly, only missed a few songs. I did have to get the premium for $4.50, but it was worth it to avoid that hassle, plus I had spare Opinion Rewards credits.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Is Spotify capable of pre-downloading auto-generated stations on an automatic basis like Google Play Music?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Having tried both services extensively, GPM does a much better job of creating radio stations based on a song / artist / playlist than Spotify did.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does Flamingo/Fenix avoid that thing where replying or liking something immediately scrolls up your timeline or whatever?

Does it improve Twitter's crap timeline at all?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

does Flamingo/Fenix avoid that thing where replying or liking something immediately scrolls up your timeline or whatever?

Does it improve Twitter's crap timeline at all?

yes and yes, both do. I prefer Flamingo but they are both good

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Endless Mike posted:

One GPM replacement will have emoji stickers. The other will have voice and im chat.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I found the Samsung Notes app not long after posting, and it seems to do what I need. What makes you guys say it's not very good?

Uthor posted:

I'm assuming you have a Microsoft work account and can use OneNote.

Hahahaha! Nope! It was only in the last year that they dropped IE 5 in favor of Chrome. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

azurite posted:

Is Spotify capable of pre-downloading auto-generated stations on an automatic basis like Google Play Music?

idk about stations but I have it set to download both my Release Radar (new recommended music from my listened to and/or followed artists every Friday) and Discover Weekly (music that Spotify thinks I'll like based on my listening habits, mostly newer stuff from artists I'm not familiar with, updated every Monday) playlists. they both download every week and are usually 30-40 songs each.

it works pretty well. their recommendations keep getting better and better with time - they put me on to tons of good music this year. there's also a bunch of "daily mix" playlists that may be able to be set to download too...not sure.

e: the one glaring omission from the Android app is basic playlist editing features. you can add or remove songs from a playlist, but that's it. you're much better off using the desktop version. apparently the iOS version has much more full-featured playlist editing.

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 10, 2017