Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so is there an actual full Zelda dungeon in this game now? How do you access it? Are we talking like, OOT forest temple or OOT jabu jabu in length?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was holding off on buying the DLC until they were both out and I'm glad I did. These DLC don't seem very exciting to me. :(

I was expecting a fifth dungeon and it doesn't seem we got that. Is my understanding correct?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I was holding off on buying the DLC until they were both out and I'm glad I did. These DLC don't seem very exciting to me. :(

I was expecting a fifth dungeon and it doesn't seem we got that. Is my understanding correct?

Your question confuses me. The only thing I know for sure at this point (I haven't had time to download it yet) is we did get a new dungeon.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

Your question confuses me. The only thing I know for sure at this point (I haven't had time to download it yet) is we did get a new dungeon.

Oh. I thought it was only more shrines. I could very easily be mistaken. Nothing I've read has clearly stated the contents of the new dlc.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Finding the last part of this new outfit is driving me crazy, I swear I've scoured Hyrule Castle from top to bottom but I still can't find the final chest that's supposed to be on the 'second floor'. It's such an incredibly vague hint, and I still haven't started the main DLC quest because I've been so busy looking for the thing.

I can't find the third recipe book either so they're probably in the same place knowing my luck.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I had to look that up. go to the sanctum but don’t go inside. You can climb up above it and get into another floor. It’s in that room

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Wildtortilla posted:

Oh. I thought it was only more shrines. I could very easily be mistaken. Nothing I've read has clearly stated the contents of the new dlc.

only done the first part but it seems to be a new dungeon as in a new beast somewhere.

basically the structure is like this for the dlc from what i can tell: its almost like a new game+ as in it mimics the main quests progress but with new poo poo: you start out in the great plateau and do 4 new shrines and its hard with one hit kills both ways and a new weapon, the shrines are good and decent. you meet kass at some point after the 2nd shrine you do and he gives you a song that suggests a 5th divine beast. once all 4 shrines are completed on the GP you get 4 new locations to check out near the 4 beasts. dunno what they do from what i can tell its limited equipment rematches of blights and new shrines with powerup upgrades (you also get orbs from the GP shrines, dunno yet if theres another 8 ex shrines so can max out both stamina and health)

theres also 9 new equipment sets similar to the first dlc which you can look for if you want, these are better than the first dlc, because unlike the first dlc, they have their own unique abilities

oh and theres a motorbike at some point. thats all i know.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Am I overlooking something or do I have to look at the pictures on the things that rise from the ground and manually try and find the locations on the map? I'm too used to my hand being held

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nonviolent J posted:

Am I overlooking something or do I have to look at the pictures on the things that rise from the ground and manually try and find the locations on the map? I'm too used to my hand being held

Not overlooking anything, you gotta do it by hand. There's not a 1:1 correlation between "what's shown" and "what's on the topography map" but it's close, I think if you have the minimap up it'll look exactly right though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So I found out that if you use cryo to put a platform as close to waterblight as possible in his second phase you can poke him with your spear. Might be a good strategy in case you run out of arrows in the refight

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Also worth noting for the refights: the food trick works, so you can come in with a 3-stack attack buff to make your limited durability a lot more effective and give yourself some wiggle room, especially if you're a masochist like me and started doing this in master mode with the health regen :downs:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I haven't played in a while, have there been any changes to the Master Mode? The combination of ranked up enemies AND regenerating health was a bit overwhelming.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Nope, although once you hit the inevitable god-tier gear level it stops being as much of an irritation and more "I can't go back to normal mode, where's all the gold mobs with gems?"

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I'd pay for more expansions for this, really rekindled my interest in the game

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
My only complaint is that it took DLC for horse-summoning and mark and recall to be things :negative:

Hopefully BotW2 has that from the get-go, whenever that happens

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Not overlooking anything, you gotta do it by hand. There's not a 1:1 correlation between "what's shown" and "what's on the topography map" but it's close, I think if you have the minimap up it'll look exactly right though

I really need a hint for the Rito "rings down a cliff" thing, I can't figure out where the topography on that map lines up at all. Tried two places in the far northwest that might have been it but just found useless-rear end "secret springs".

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
you could summon your horse in base game at any stable tho. summon anywhere and teleport anywhere seem like cheats to me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DLC does NOT let you pet dogs.

0/10.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

I really need a hint for the Rito "rings down a cliff" thing, I can't figure out where the topography on that map lines up at all. Tried two places in the far northwest that might have been it but just found useless-rear end "secret springs".

Try around Hebra peak

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vikar Jerome posted:

you could summon your horse in base game at any stable tho. summon anywhere and teleport anywhere seem like cheats to me.

Counterpoint: Not being able to summon your horse means you're super disincentivizing either "going to see what's up on the other side of this cliff face that looks interesting" or "using a horse literally at all". Most of the people ITT went for doing the former and basically never used horses (myself included).

Likewise, Mark and Recall fixes "I have an overwhelming urge to jump off this cliff but getting up here was a hassle". Tools that make people want to take risks and go exploring instead of feeling punished for doing it (in this case, abandoning their horse) are good and cool.

e:

Nonviolent J posted:

Try around Hebra peak

This, but also in general for finding bits:
- The orientation is always up-is-north, so you can make educated guesses based on terrain shapes/angles and be pretty accurate.
- There's typically new NPCs and frequently fires belching smoke visible from a distance in the salient locations

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 9, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Fun thing about Waterblight: If you've got no arrows left for phase 2, you can frost rune all but one of his ice blocks, stasis the last one, fully charge it and send it back at him to knock him down for a bit. He helpfully doesn't cast anything or move while you're working on the stasis charge.

This game :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nonviolent J posted:

Try around Hebra peak

Thanks, stumbled on it. No idea how was supposed to find that, he map doesn't seem to lineup at all

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i cannot ever think of any game where I wouldn't want these features standard lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finished the DLC.

The new Dungeon is basically another Divine Beast, but without the wacky shape. It's a fine dungeon on that caliber.

Final boss was dope AF, tho.

The stuff everyone's at is really good, but ultimately it wasn't that exciting. Challenges and Shrines are A+, but the story in it is ehh and the dungeon is Fine in the context of BotW's dungeons. Had a nice time, but I was hoping for more. The bike's good, but I'm very much finished with the game already.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What makes a horse good oruseful anyway, I've never bothered to learn their stats because I ran and climbed everywhere

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ciaphas posted:

What makes a horse good oruseful anyway, I've never bothered to learn their stats because I ran and climbed everywhere

They are faster than walking.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ciaphas posted:

Strength: Not 100% on this but supposedly tied to mounted combat.
Speed: Obvious.
Stamina: How many times you can use the full gallop with the A button.
Temperament: Determines the horses attitude, doesn't mean much once you max out bond.
Bond: Are you best friends with the horse? Full temperament will allow you full control of the horse, otherwise it will veer off in different directions.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

if you wanna walk everywhere and take in all the scenery that's fine, but at least give me the option to fast travel or summon a horse/mount/whatever to move quicker

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Good news. You get that now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I just went and got the saddle, is why I asked.

Forgot I had Zelda's horse too so that solves that question

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Okay incremental spoiler post if anyone's on the fence about whether this DLC is worthwhile:

For the main champion's ballad DLC,

- For the initial challenge, you'll get dropped onto the starting plateau with a weapon that can one-shot mobs, but you only have a quarter heart of health. You need to kill 4 camps of mobs to open up 4 additional normal shrines, which nets you another heart/stamina trade-in. You can savescum during this challenge, and while you can't use other melee weapons, bows, ancient arrows, and the disguise masks are all kosher so you can cheese a lot of it if you're getting frustrated.

- Once that's completed, 12 shrines open up, 3 per Divine Beast area. You need to hunt down the location of each one based on a picture of the area from above, and most involve a minor challenge/puzzle/fight to open up. Once you've completed the 3 area shrines, you have to complete a re-fight of that Divine Beast's boss using limited armor/weapons (pre-buffing with food is allowed). Completing each of those significantly reduces the cooldown of the associated Champion Power. The shrines during this section do not give you orbs that you can trade in for health/stamina.

- Once you've done all of that, another Divine Beast-esque dungeon is unlocked. It's not a "mega dungeon" or anything; it's unique, but it's effectively identical size-wise to every previous Divine Beast dungeon. It has a unique (and somewhat unexpected) boss that's got a couple abilities from just about every boss fight in the game, plus a couple more on the side.

Completing all of that nets you the motorcycle and (over the course of it) 5 or so flashback-cutscenes, which is where we got the clips of Zelda and the champions from the trailers. Sorry, no proper "post-ganon" content. Once you're done, you can re-do the final dungeon boss and any of the equipment-limited Blight bosses, but you can't re-do the quarter-heart plateau challenge, even though the weapon for it is sitting right there :argh:. The motorcycle can probably Skyrim slopes but can't actually climb anything per se, :rip:. You also have to keep it fueled, although apparently you can stick literally any food item into it and that'll work so it seems like a kind of stupid restriction.

Ultimately: I had fun, this was a nice little endcap DLC challenge, and I'd be way more inclined to re-play the game at some point in the future if there was any sort of New Game + where you could at least carry the motorcycle over. As it is, since you effectively have to do just about everything in the game before you access it (vs the teleportation rune/horse summoning armor that you can just run straight to off the plateau and grab it) so :nallears:

Definitely gonna go kill Ganon on my motorcycle before I call it a day, though. :black101:

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 9, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Went back after months of not playing and my muscle memory reverted to OoT :psyduck:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And why can't I enhance the royal guard uniform, what the gently caress

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You can't enhance any of the DLC outfits.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do they name the motorcycle, and is it called Eponator?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 9, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Do they name the motorcycle, and is it called Eponator?

It's Master Cycle Zero.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I have no idea how I'm supposed to equip the bridle and saddle, I never changed them on any of my horses

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I have no idea how I'm supposed to equip the bridle and saddle, I never changed them on any of my horses

Some of the stables have a woman tending the horses, go up to her on your horse and she'll let you change them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I can't figure out how to get through the spiky hallway at the end of the one new shrine. I can slow down the spike wall by using stasis on the blocks but then there's a seemingly impassable gap where four spike blocks pop out of the walls and I can't climb over or do anything.

Edit: what the gently caress I just watched a video of a guy climbing that spike block at the end why won't it let me?!?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay, I finally found that one shrine for Mipha's quest. Now I can't figure out how to complete it. The shrine's name is "the Melting Point", does anyone have any advice?