Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, but "better regulation" is a really facile solution. It's like saying "Just cheer up!" is a solution to clinical depression. The capture occurs because the people who are in charge of creating the regulations are human and thus assholes. If you posit a solution that relies on non-rear end in a top hat human beings being in charge, that's not all that realistic.

Don't have to worry about regulatory capture if you just legalize white collar crime
thinkymeme.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My phone knows the truth about bitcoins and auto corrects to buttcoins

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Icemakor posted:

[Bitcoin]'s not that hard. Just a bunch of buthurt fomo in this thread.
https://bitpam.com/blogs/cryptocurrency-guides/how-do-i-buy-bitcoin-in-canada

Saw insane gains over the last two days, I don’t day trade. Just long term hold. Bitcoins futures being traded on the NASDAQ on the 10th is fanning the flames right now. Or the wall street guys are pumping it up so they can pull the rug out after they short it.

I moved a bit of cash from my TFSA into crypto a while ago. Quadriga and Coinsquare are the two big Canadian exchanges. Don’t invest any more than you are prepared to lose, it might all come crashing down any day now. Or we can race our lambos on the moon.

I hold 50% bitcoins 50% alt coins.

When you buy move your coins to a secure wallet right away, Don’t let it sit on the exchange unless you are buying and selling that amount.

Courtesy of Canadian debt bubble thread, where one normally finds levelheaded financial discussion plus CI's semi-lucid racism when he's not banned lol.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The current crypto frenzy has me somehow amazed at how many people don't realize you can also make a ton of money without speculative bubbles. The amount of comments from people saying essentially, "You're just jealous you're not rich because of all these crypto gains!" seem completely dumb to the concept that you can be rich without, "all these crypto gains." It's almost like people who do wild speculation aren't aware of the high value of stable investing principles!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

The current crypto frenzy has me somehow amazed at how many people don't realize you can also make a ton of money without speculative bubbles. The amount of comments from people saying essentially, "You're just jealous you're not rich because of all these crypto gains!" seem completely dumb to the concept that you can be rich without, "all these crypto gains." It's almost like people who do wild speculation aren't aware of the high value of stable investing principles!

That's the punchline for most of this. It's a bunch of people with no basis in finance/investing who are "now first day experts" in everything.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's the punchline for most of this. It's a bunch of people with no basis in finance/investing who are "now first day experts" in everything.
I work with a few guys who are admitted gamblers and apparently spent most of their work day a few years back in just day trading gold contracts or something. They've made a fortune off their dumb gambling. Even those guys - who used to have large (or in some cases, much larger) positions of BTC and ETH - are like, "crypto is 900% a bubble and it sucks I liquidated when I did but there's no chance I'm getting deeper back in." The gamblers are way more fun to talk to because to them it is just a giant spin of the wheel. They love that poo poo and their passion is an entertainment even if you don't choose to partake. It's the people who don't see the immediate comparison to Vegas who are insufferable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I can't help but think back to all those Reddit threads where someone loses all their family's money on Buttcoins and I sincerely hope they didn't cash out. Like that one guy who was responsible for his disabled sister's inheritance and blew through it all and then balked at the idea he should give her all the money that was left.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Motronic posted:

This happens all the time with engineers and doctors. They automatically know everything about anything they touch because they spent a lot of time getting know something else once. Trying to explain something to an engineer is fun because, from my own personal experience, they keep trying to jump ahead explaining it me even though I'm the one trying to tell them what it is. Sometimes I miss being an FA, but then I remember trying to explain how a LIRP works to an engineer and don't regret changing direction.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah I admit I really wish I had bought $100 worth of BTC back in 2013 as a laugh, that'd be a nice windfall. But just :lol: at buying in now

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

This happens all the time with engineers and doctors. They automatically know everything about anything they touch because they spent a lot of time getting know something else once. Trying to explain something to an engineer is fun because, from my own personal experience, they keep trying to jump ahead explaining it me even though I'm the one trying to tell them what it is. Sometimes I miss being an FA, but then I remember trying to explain how a LIRP works to an engineer and don't regret changing direction.
This brings to mind how much of the advice in programming books I've been reading recently comes down to, "You need to collaborate with other people and that involves tamping down the little voice in your head and loving listening sometimes."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah I admit I really wish I had bought $100 worth of BTC back in 2013 as a laugh, that'd be a nice windfall. But just :lol: at buying in now

I actually disagree, to be honest. If you're willing to lose the money and think the bubble is a bit off then why not jump in now? You don't have to buy a full share or anything.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I actually disagree, to be honest. If you're willing to lose the money and think the bubble is a bit off then why not jump in now? You don't have to buy a full share or anything.

I'm waiting for a way to short it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Good luck. The big financial institutions for the most part have been very vocal that they aren't going to touch it with a 10 blockchain pole.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would say that the reasons not to jump in are 1) major trading sites have frequently turned into scams or collapsed, and 2) the whole thing could go to zero at pretty much any time. That said, the extreme volatility is a day trader's paradise. Could still be a fun way to make a windfall, but anything you put in should be assumed lost until you have it in cash again.

Also, the bubble is definitely happening right now, it's just a matter of how big it gets. It could go up 100x or collapse to zero and I don't think either would be terribly shocking.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hoodwinker posted:

Good luck. The big financial institutions for the most part have been very vocal that they aren't going to touch it with a 10 blockchain pole.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nasdaq-set-to-launch-bitcoin-futures-2017-11

quote:

Nasdaq is hopping on the bitcoin bandwagon.

The exchange operator is set to launch a bitcoin futures product next year, a person familiar with the matter told Business Insider.

Two Chicago-based exchanges, CME and CBOE, have also announced bitcoin futures products, which would allow investors to bet on the future price of bitcoin.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

What happens when/if the price shits a brick in the meantime? Are they still going to release futures do you think? They do stand to make money off of the volatility even if the price isn't enormous I suppose.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Phanatic posted:

Good thing you didn't, because it's up 20% in a day, apparently.

At least they don't die and decay like tulips? But with its value being propped up entirely by speculation, the fall is going to be spectacular. Probably when a few of the major holders decide to cash out, it will be an amazing spiral that's going to ruin more than a few lives.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

It's a NASDAQ side exchange thing trading in futures priced on a derivative or something.

Basically gently poking at it with someone else's 10' pole.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

What happens when/if the price shits a brick in the meantime? Are they still going to release futures do you think? They do stand to make money off of the volatility even if the price isn't enormous I suppose.

The exchanges DGAF about the price of the underlying. If there's enough interest to support enough volume for the derivatives, they can make money.

I think the weak point with BTC-F is can they keep calculating a reference rate when one or more of the BTC exchanges blows up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vox Nihili posted:

Also, the bubble is definitely happening right now, it's just a matter of how big it gets. It could go up 100x or collapse to zero and I don't think either would be terribly shocking.
"But surely I'll be the person who has the perfect prediction powers needed to sell before it bursts" - everyone treating bitcoin as an investment.

Nevermind that a lot of bitcoin's price is questionable thanks to exchanges doing fake buy/sells to prop up the price, and exchanges tending to have "technical problems" when a crash is happening, and a million other things.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Also it's comically slow transaction rate, which means that not only are you trying to time the market, you are trying to do it when you're going to have to give enough time for your orders to actually process. Hope no one else is trying to dump at the same time!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Somebody post that Etherium crash where a ton of people had sell orders and it completely wrecked Etherium for a night (and probably the person who organized the crash bought up as much as possible at 10% or whatever it was).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Somebody post that Etherium crash where a ton of people had sell orders and it completely wrecked Etherium for a night (and probably the person who organized the crash bought up as much as possible at 10% or whatever it was).

That really was a thing of beauty, and a permanent drop like that is probably gonna be what the bubble burst is actually going to look like. The really funny part is going to be when people think it isn't permanent and dump the money they didn't lose back in and lose that as well.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
I'm sure people buying bitcoin on credit cards is gonna work out swell for subprime sector.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The more I read y'all's hot takes, the more I'm convinced you guys don't actually know what you're talking about either. Goons have been speculating smugly for years and their predictions seem to have no more basis in reality than the dummies who are investing via borrowed money and waiting for good ol fiat to implode on itself or something

At any rate (heh), Bitcoin chat suuuuux

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 9, 2017

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KingSlime posted:

The more I read y'all's hot takes, the more I'm convinced you guys don't actually know what you're talking about either. Goons have been speculating smugly for years and their predictions seem to have no more basis in reality than the dummies who are investing via borrowed money and waiting for good ol fiat to implode on itself or something

we had a drat implosion from mtgox and a lot of comedy gold
it seems that we'll have another solid implosion from bitfinex

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

KingSlime posted:

Yeah, you're right, no one here can predict the future. But go ahead and tell me +2000% in a year is absolutely fine.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

KingSlime posted:

Bitcoin has zero practical uses for the average law-abiding person(and its fundamental structure is incompatible with it ever becoming useful to the average joe), is a gigantic waste of electricity, and has regular huge swings in value for no concrete reason.

But yes, tell us more about how goons hate bitcoin for no good reason.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

KingSlime posted:

That's cause goons have been laughing at the notion that buttcoin will imminently destroy evil fiat by becoming a stable store of value and other things and stuff that you know, a currency, actually does. No one is surprised that the lolbertarian dumbass version of the 17th century Dutch tulip is gyrating wildly in value while generating constant scams and hilarious drama.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dogcow posted:

That's cause goons have been laughing at the notion that buttcoin will imminently destroy evil fiat by becoming a stable store of value and other things and stuff that you know, a currency, actually does. No one is surprised that the lolbertarian dumbass version of the 17th century Dutch tulip is gyrating wildly in value while generating constant scams and hilarious drama.

I don’t think that reflects the historical record. There was a long history of making fun of r/bitcoin denizens who were holding out for BITCOIN 1000. I’m not current on the threads, but I don’t recall anyone saying “sure, it might make it to $15K, but it’ll be volatile”. Indeed the predictions were that every dip was the end of the line. I participated in both those pastimes, I’ll freely admit; I looked for a way to short BTC in 2015.

I remain a cryptocurrency skeptic, and I think that BTC has structural issues (some of which, like proof-of-work confirmation, have promising research in other token systems), but the SA/YOSPOS reasoning hasn’t proved to be a good predictor of the value of speculating on BTC (or, less so, ETH). The bears don’t seem to have a better predictive model than the bulls do, from what I’ve seen.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
YOSPOS was also predicting (still is predicting?) a dot com bubble bursting for years that hasn't come around. There does appear to have been a slight deflation though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I hope quantum computers come along suddenly and without warning. Then a bad actor could, theoretically, derive secrets from public information and make bitcoin (et al) very sad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

I hope quantum computers come along suddenly and without warning. Then a bad actor could, theoretically, derive secrets from public information and make bitcoin (et al) very sad.

Does quantum pose a risk to current blockchain architectures? I can’t keep track of which algorithms suit which quantum strategies these days.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Everyone loves to try to call the bear. At some point, they’ll be right, but will never acknowledge the value lost in the years they were calling it while the market was still bull.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cicero posted:

YOSPOS was also predicting (still is predicting?) a dot com bubble bursting for years that hasn't come around. There does appear to have been a slight deflation though.

It's coming. Not as hard hitting as the 2000's, but VC funding is starting to dry up. You can only fund so many $500 DRM-locked squeeze bag juicers before investors become skeptical.

That and Silicon Valley is starting to feed on itself. 'Our new app is like BuzzFeed, but for Twitter!'

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Does quantum pose a risk to current blockchain architectures? I can’t keep track of which algorithms suit which quantum strategies these days.

According to the internet bitcoin wallets are ecdsa key pairs. Those are 100% vulnerable to quantum attacks using Shor's algorithm allowing you to factor the private key from the public key. This is not feasible until general purpose quantum computing is available.

Signature algorithms (in this case hashes from sha-256 and scrypt) are another question which I do not know the answer.

The first allows you to generate a transaction request, which the network will then blindly approve because that's what bitcoin (etc) do for transactions. It does not allow you to forge (replace, change, whatever) entries in the blockchain itself.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
largest factored number is 56153, on a quantum dealio

that's gonna need to get to something more like 2^20 before we can start talking about shor poo poo

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
replied to wrong post

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 11, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jake Mustache posted:

Nicehash.com, something to do with crypto , just got hacked and lost $66m worth of users bitcoins. Whoops. But they will work on regaining customer trust in the upcoming days.

Get ready for all the related sad stories and gofundmes.

I lost roughly $60 in coins and $10 in power :shrug:

Please do not buy bitcoin directly, when the downswing comes it will be hot and heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

BigDave posted:

It's coming. Not as hard hitting as the 2000's, but VC funding is starting to dry up. You can only fund so many $500 DRM-locked squeeze bag juicers before investors become skeptical.

That and Silicon Valley is starting to feed on itself. 'Our new app is like BuzzFeed, but for Twitter!'
Ahahahahahahaha, oh my God