Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Coldforge posted:

he's locked out of meddling for at least another two or three seasons

Locked out how? I don't know much about the 9ers situation other than that York apparently caused it because Harbaough hurt his feelings or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Inspector 34 posted:

Locked out how? I don't know much about the 9ers situation other than that York apparently caused it because Harbaough hurt his feelings or something.

GM and HC have fully guaranteed six year contracts for lots of money.

The fault was apparently mostly former GM Baalke's (like with other teams, a power struggle), and Jed just backed the wrong person.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
SIx years with no offsets no less.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jed York is an awful owner and nobody should defend him.

Alienating and then firing the third-best coach in Niner's history* instead of getting rid of noted terrible GM Trent Baalke is the thing everyone knows about, but the whole way the niner's garbage stadium wound up getting built in Santa Clara instead of SF was ugly and terrible, he went on to sue Santa Clara for being pissed off that the Niners org repeatedly violated its contract with the city and saying so, York and the Niners were sued for age discrimination, violated its contract with the goddamn girl scouts by canceling them in favor of a more profitable concert... just all kinds of terrible poo poo.

Sure, he's defending the kneel protests better than most other owners, and that's great - but of course he is, he knows fans in the SF bay area expect him to, it's not a brave move at all. Even if the niners do a lot better next year, it'll be in spite of York and not because of him. gently caress that guy.

*Bill Walsh is #1 and if you disagree you can suck it, George Seifert is #2, and yes Buck Shaw was great but Harbaugh's win percentage was actually slightly better and Shaw was coaching a pretty different game so it's tough to make comparisons anyway and also he went to the eagles and won with them so he's a traitor

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Jed york is a dumb trust fund pissbaby and i will write that on my tombstone.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

Jed York is an awful owner and nobody should defend him.

Alienating and then firing the third-best coach in Niner's history* instead of getting rid of noted terrible GM Trent Baalke is the thing everyone knows about, but the whole way the niner's garbage stadium wound up getting built in Santa Clara instead of SF was ugly and terrible, he went on to sue Santa Clara for being pissed off that the Niners org repeatedly violated its contract with the city and saying so, York and the Niners were sued for age discrimination, violated its contract with the goddamn girl scouts by canceling them in favor of a more profitable concert... just all kinds of terrible poo poo.

Sure, he's defending the kneel protests better than most other owners, and that's great - but of course he is, he knows fans in the SF bay area expect him to, it's not a brave move at all. Even if the niners do a lot better next year, it'll be in spite of York and not because of him. gently caress that guy.

*Bill Walsh is #1 and if you disagree you can suck it, George Seifert is #2, and yes Buck Shaw was great but Harbaugh's win percentage was actually slightly better and Shaw was coaching a pretty different game so it's tough to make comparisons anyway and also he went to the eagles and won with them so he's a traitor

Yup.

*looks around at the other NFL owners*

Still fine with Jed right now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't paying attention to the niners at all at the time, how did Harbaugh turn them around so fast?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

algebra testes posted:

I wasn't paying attention to the niners at all at the time, how did Harbaugh turn them around so fast?

They had a good roster that was being held back by bad coaching and a few missing pieces. He was a good coach and they managed to fill those few missing pieces that year (from FA, draft and players from the previous draft becoming better/starters).

Similar to what the Rams did this year compared to last.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Harbaugh had the dual powers of yelling, and glaring

highly effective imo

a football head coach can't be good if the yelling is sub-par

e. this is head coaching at its finest

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 8, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If this doesn't motivate you to be better at football then I don't know what

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jed York looks like an episode of Friends where Joey stumbles his way into owning an NFL team. Just waiting for the climax where he gets shitcanned and the show goes back to status quo.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Jim approves.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Honestly even if Jim Harbaugh was incapable of winning a football game ever, I would still want him as HC just for the entertainment factor of watching him on the sideline being Jim Harbaugh.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

Honestly even if Jim Harbaugh was incapable of winning a football game ever, I would still want him as HC just for the entertainment factor of watching him on the sideline being Jim Harbaugh.

Tbh though, he was even better when he stepped on the field. Always keeping in mind that HE WORE CLEATS when he coached so he could run around more effectively.

and of course, the classic:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Firing Harbaugh was obviously foolish but I kind of wonder whether it wasn’t inevitable. His personality is grating, there is always a team that he can’t seem to beat (Oregon, the Seahawks, Ohio State) and the team was definitely on the decline by that last season. At least this way Jed may have learned (to be determined) that he is an idiot rather than being able to pass the blame onto Harbaugh for not winning a Super Bowl until the end of his life.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The players obviously loved him, and a bunch of them bailed after he was gone. The problem was Baalke, who in addition to being incapable of getting along with his winning coach, was also bad at drafting. And Jed, for backing his pal Baalke and putting that relationship ahead of all other concerns.

I don't know this for a fact but I assume Harbaugh couldn't not tell Baalke how terrible he was at his job, and that's pretty much the entirety of the "personality conflict" they had with one another.

e. haha I should probably watch college ball

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 9, 2017

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I’m not saying Harbaugh was the problem with the team, he was a key part of the reason they were winning, but I think that even if Jed had somehow made the right decision that year and fired Baalke, the team wasn’t likely to return to a championship level for a few seasons. So you know Jed would then blame Harbaugh anyway with the excuse being the above mentioned characteristics.

E: Admittedly, I’m also apparently an old white man at heart and can understand why people tire of Harbaugh because his meltdowns get old quickly and would get particularly old if you weren’t going to the NFC Championship every year.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 9, 2017

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Does a couple of guaranteed contracts really prevent an idiot from firing people? Or at least threatening to? Seems like Jed can still meddle plenty if he wanted to.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Inspector 34 posted:

Does a couple of guaranteed contracts really prevent an idiot from firing people? Or at least threatening to? Seems like Jed can still meddle plenty if he wanted to.

People like money. Rich people REALLY like money.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
More than they like their ego or being in charge?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Kyle is cool, but seeing all these gifs really makes me miss Jim :smith:

Inspector 34 posted:

More than they like their ego or being in charge?

Yes

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 9, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Does anywhere here follow college ball enough to judge how Harbaugh is doing in Michigan? I vouched for him to my grieving aunt, whose husband was a UM diehard, and I’d hate to think I was wrong. But so far it looks unspectacular.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

he got them their first top 10 season since 2006 and he's 28-10 through 3 years. he's fine

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Aren’t Michigan fans already channeling their inner Jed York because Harbaugh’s teams keep choking in big games?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

King Hong Kong posted:

Aren’t Michigan fans already channeling their inner Jed York because Harbaugh’s teams keep choking in big games?

I’m sure there are some like that somewhere because a lot of college fans consider any loss unacceptable, but he’s been pretty good for them so far. He hasn’t gotten over the Ohio State hump yet, but Urban Meyer is a ridiculously good coach and Ohio State is in better recruiting territory, so that’s not too surprising. He hasn’t had a decent QB yet. If he lands one they’ll probably win their conference.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Also, it’s not totally fair to say they choke in big games, they absolutely blasted Penn State last year in a game that ended up keeping PSU out of the playoffs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
His crop of seniors are coming through next season so as long as he doesn't tank and decide "gently caress this" and heads to the NFL he's gonna be there for life or whatever.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Harbaugh had the dual powers of yelling, and glaring

highly effective imo

a football head coach can't be good if the yelling is sub-par

e. this is head coaching at its finest

Counterpoint:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/591/836/MuschampFreakout_original.gif?1351370116

That guy couldnt coach for poo poo

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

I will be watching the game with some friends from my old city who don't care about football, but know the Rams have sucked for years and always made fun of me for it.

Hopefully they're not making fun of you after the game Sunday.

No one would have thought at the beginning of this season that this game would be one of the biggest games of the year. Crazy.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Aw, crazy Jim Harbaugh. His teams were always good, but I can't think of another coach that was more fun to beat. That Seattle/SF rivalry was so fun, wish it could have had a longer period of parity. We really only got a couple seasons where they were at roughly the same quality.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Alright, thanks, I appreciate the rundown.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you wanna get sad about entropy the passing of time and about how we're all gonna die watching that 2013 NFC Championship game on the NFL channel sure does the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G2_ruG44M4

Just like, two great teams before they were destroyed by the harsh ravages of time, racism and Jed York.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah no, where Harbaugh's yelling and glaring comes from a place of aggrieved outrage at the injustice, that guy in that gif looks like he's just barely holding back from murdering a player out of sheer malice and hatred. It's a completely different kind of angry yelling really.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

algebra testes posted:

If you wanna get sad about entropy the passing of time and about how we're all gonna die watching that 2013 NFC Championship game on the NFL channel sure does the trick.

Just like, two great teams before they were destroyed by the harsh ravages of time, racism and Jed York.

I have this saved on my computer, I pull it up every so often to watch some holy poo poo crazy good football.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I like this guy's youtube channel, wish there was more of this kind of film room content. I'd like to make some myself if I have the chance, but to be honest I need more football smarts before I start.

In any case, check out his analysis on showing key plays in the Eagles/Seahawks game and how Russell Wilson was able to lead the Seahawks to victory against a statistically better team, without ANY KIND of a run game. If you're triggered by rub concepts, please don't watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4ZgPY1MdI

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im getting Trumped by my dad over baker mayfield. he wants to trade into 1OA to pick him and the heisman threw a truck of gasoline on that fire

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

algebra testes posted:

"they" were destroyed?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah no, where Harbaugh's yelling and glaring comes from a place of aggrieved outrage at the injustice, that guy in that gif looks like he's just barely holding back from murdering a player out of sheer malice and hatred. It's a completely different kind of angry yelling really.

Accurate description of will muschamp

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

shirts and skins posted:

"they" were destroyed?

One took the long fall and is struggling to pulling itself out of a giant chasm. The other is teetering a bit on the edge, trying to decide if it wants to let gravity take over.

Give in to the impulse, Seahawks. Jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

algebra testes posted:

This game and the ensuing celebration remain the only time I've been kicked out of a bar. Still probably the best NFL game I've ever watched.

• Locked thread