Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

French Canadian posted:

If I have pre-check can the waifu come with me in the line?

It worked on with my girlfriend last month when I had her ticket on the same reservation as mine. Did two vacations and she got pre-check on her boarding pass too both times (United and Aeromexico).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
/Crazy Riker voice

Most of my flights are regional now, and I’m doing long distance with the fiancée. No direct flights. The flights average 600 miles. I qualified Plat on segments. I’m planning on trips every 2-3 weeks. The only reason I got a higher tier was a work trip to Africa in premium economy. They’re switching the mainline planes to the A319s. Basic economy is appearing on all my flights.

I can’t go back. I can’t keep doing this.

( Plus my EQD is outpacing everything. Ffs)

The only advantage AA has now is that if my flight gets cancelled in Dallas, I can stay at my childhood home. The schedules for Delta are better going there and they’re all mainline if I go through Atlanta. AA is better coming back. I’m still going to run into the problem of basically having my EQD double my segments or miles. I’ve noticed they’ve doubled the prices gradually over the past six months. Maybe I could split it and do Delta and AA? Or just bite the bullet and go full Delta.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am not a fan of the mass of human flesh that ATL eats and shits out everyday regardless of how pretty the big titty blonde bartender is at my favorite bar there, but if you don't hate ATL why not delta?

I'd fly Delta. They seem a little better than AA in my limited experience but my home is MIA and fuuuuuuuck connecting on every single loving flight through atlanta so AA it is for me

Now I basically connect through CLT

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I hate CLT the most. I’ve missed multiple flights because Eagle gets the shaft when deplaning.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Lote posted:

I hate CLT the most. I’ve missed multiple flights because Eagle gets the shaft when deplaning.

Try living here and flying UA. Super fun. :rolleyes:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mackieman posted:

Try living here and flying UA. Super fun. :rolleyes:

That’s torture.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Arzakon posted:

I dunno man SEA-HKG-SEA * 1 seems way better to me than SEA-SFO-SEA * 5. I snagged a few cheap first class upgrades that got me 150% MQMs and with some rollover, and CC MQMs I was probably closer to 4500-5000 a segment actually in a seat.

This is truth. Long-haul flying is much, much easier than short-haul flying. This may change eventually if everyone morphs into a LCC but on long-haul you basically just drug yourself to pass out and then wake up somewhere across the world. Whereas short-haul you are awake for every miserable living minute of it.

Not to mention the better aircraft, IFE, and actually being served drinks/meals.

And the way the system is set up, qualifying based on mileage is also much much much less painful than qualifying on segments.

But the downside is: no free upgrades. And SEA-SFO-SEA is a bad comparison because it's a very easy route for upgrades. And it's a Delta Shuttle market, which means really good service, 30 min check-in cut-off, and decent hot meals.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Sanity check, pretty sure I'm screwed. Started 80% travel in September and I have 24,551 pqm on United, including today's flight and Thursdays flight (EWR-IAH). No options to add a segment on Thursday and this is my last trip of the year.

I called United and they said economy plus doesn't earn additional pqm, which is a bummer. Is my only option to upgrade my Thursday flight to First? Not sure silver is worth $150+. Premier accelerator costs $600 for me (lol)

Typical flight for me is LGA or EWR to IAH so I don't expect to get a lot of upgrades as silver but I've also never experienced it.

antiga fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 11, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
don't bother

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

It’s cool when the Delta app still says boarding was supposed to begin 15 minutes ago but the plane isn’t even at the gate

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
So I'm based out of NYC and will barely hit United platinum this year. My travel schedule will change next year for the better though, as I'll probably only be doing trips to either the UK or France every couple months, sprinkled in with the occasional SFO or PHX trip.

My company will, as far as I can tell, pay for premium economy on transatlantic flights. Since United doesn't have premium economy or a partner with PE on direct flights to the UK or France, would it be worth switching to Delta? Looks like PE on Virgin Atlantic or Air France earns 50% MQM and miles on Delta.

EWR is closer than JFK but it's probably not by that much, and I don't know if I have an airport preference. I could status match to Delta which would require 18,750 MQM in 3 months to maintain platinum.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like the AA premium economy and 1.5x eqm is probably the best “value” in terms of amassing status.

I think premium economy should roll to most uk routes next year?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
If I did AA I'd also have the option of doing BA or OpenSkies premium economy. However unless I'm missing something it seems like AA requires you to pay for a status match. Delta also has more NYC-SFO routes which might be more convenient (though if I'm optimizing on that, obviously United would be the best).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

It’s cool when the Delta app still says boarding was supposed to begin 15 minutes ago but the plane isn’t even at the gate

What's annoying is when their refusal to admit that the plane is late costs you the ability to switch to a different flight. I ran in to that earlier this year when they didn't admit the plane was late until an hour after the scheduled departure time and by then all the other planes that could have gotten me home that day had already taken off.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

opposable thumbs.db posted:

If I did AA I'd also have the option of doing BA or OpenSkies premium economy. However unless I'm missing something it seems like AA requires you to pay for a status match. Delta also has more NYC-SFO routes which might be more convenient (though if I'm optimizing on that, obviously United would be the best).

Depends on who you call, what company you work for, what status you’re trying to match to/from and when you call.

Plenty of people have been comped Platinum or a free platinum challenge to come over to AA before. But ymmv

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also BA has premium Econ which is cool but I consistently have poor service with them vs AA and club world sucks compared to AA biz

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Is united still running planes with no IFE on their trans cons? I feel like a coworker just did EWR-SFO that way.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Until Thursday night Delta is doing 98K miles for First Class to lots of places in Europe traveling Feb 1-May 21. Had to connect through JFK to get to Madrid but now my wife is happy and I don't have any miles left.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Is united still running planes with no IFE on their trans cons? I feel like a coworker just did EWR-SFO that way.

Not that I've seen. All my EWR<->SFO routes have had it, though I usually just do Netflix instead.

Seems like I can book Virgin/Air France or BA/Openskies through Delta or American, respectively, to maximize RDM and MQM/EQM. In both cases it would be 9 miles per dollar (Platinum) and 150% MQM/EQM. So I guess there's not really any difference between the programs, assuming similar products (I think Virgin might be better) or mileage values. Thanks for the input.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

Until Thursday night Delta is doing 98K miles for First Class to lots of places in Europe traveling Feb 1-May 21. Had to connect through JFK to get to Madrid but now my wife is happy and I don't have any miles left.

I've tried to book flights from BNA to both LHR and ZRH and both come back as OOPS NOT AVAILABLE! after trying multiple times. drat you Delta!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A co-worker of mine also works as a gate agent for American. Rumor has it we're hosed the next two weeks.

Lol

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Not that I've seen. All my EWR<->SFO routes have had it, though I usually just do Netflix instead.

Seems like I can book Virgin/Air France or BA/Openskies through Delta or American, respectively, to maximize RDM and MQM/EQM. In both cases it would be 9 miles per dollar (Platinum) and 150% MQM/EQM. So I guess there's not really any difference between the programs, assuming similar products (I think Virgin might be better) or mileage values. Thanks for the input.

Virgin product is quite nice in PE - like a domestic first class.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
My last trip of the year was cancelled. So I don't have to try to go through the airport on the day before Christmas Eve. Oh drat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

A co-worker of mine also works as a gate agent for American. Rumor has it we're hosed the next two weeks.

Lol

skyteam bros gonna lol

I have three more segments this year for work and two for fun. I'll wind up at 98 segments 250k MQM 90k MQD excluding rollover. i would really like to keep it under 200K MQM next year.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Residency Evil posted:

Lol

I had to do a circuitous 3 segment routing to get Plat pro by 300 miles. FML

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Residency Evil posted:

Lol

This week is my last week of travel for the whole year.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Lol

Wonderful, I can't wait to get stuck at JFK. I wonder if I should book a hotel just in case right now and cancel it if I don't need it.

On a positive note I got both my Delta 1 day Europe deals to finally go through. Heading to London in March and Zurich in May.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DJCobol posted:

Wonderful, I can't wait to get stuck at JFK. I wonder if I should book a hotel just in case right now and cancel it if I don't need it.

On a positive note I got both my Delta 1 day Europe deals to finally go through. Heading to London in March and Zurich in May.

Where do those deals generally show up? Email, cheap flights newsletter, etc?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I have an IFTTT notice set up to pull from the RSS feed of theflightdeal.com's LAX section.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Yes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

movax posted:

Email generally. Also while one should never post on flyertalk, or really even read most of it, it is worth checking out their deals forum to find out what is coming up or currently running. That's how I got in on the $300 to Europe sale Delta ran on Black Friday 2016.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I also use Scott’s Cheap Deals to get alerts. All international

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I’ve got a three hour layover in DTW tomorrow and a $50 stipend. Where’s the best place to get shitfaced?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rex-Goliath posted:

I’ve got a three hour layover in DTW tomorrow and a $50 stipend. Where’s the best place to get shitfaced?

Bigalora. Great beer selection and wood fired pizza. Tell Art I say hi.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

I got an email from Delta. And like Though said, check the deal forum on FlyerTalk but don't venture too far out or start posting there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do never flyertalk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm about to take off LAX-EWR-BUF.

I will arrive at 10am. At 3pm, I will be going BUF-EWR-LHR.

Also I have middle seats the whole way. This is gonna SUCK.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Middle seats on transoceanic flights are a crime against humanity

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy crap that lady next to me was so fat I couldn't put the armrest down. Also the engine wouldn't start and we had to sit on the runway for an hour which meant I missed my connection. At least that means I get so sleep before the transatlantic hop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KillHour posted:

Holy crap that lady next to me was so fat I couldn't put the armrest down.

don't they booted for this now?