Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheHan posted:

No way Piccolo doesn’t assume that his enemies are invisible and not just really really tiny. He’ll try and lunge at one and launch his goofy green rear end off the ledge.

God, I hope it's this SO HARD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

This might not work. The contestants are getting deleted when their universe is and they're not actually in their universes at the time, so it's possible that if you jacked a ride from U6 to U1 or whatever you'd still get blipped.

Admittedly it's not the same thing but we've already seen jumping timelines protects you and the only reason I can imagine it would (since Zeno made those time rings a thing) would be if it was because future trunks was out of the way of where Zeno was erasing. Definitely worth a shot to find out if Zeno can erase something if he doesn't already know where it is.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Poor Future Trunks went to a timeline where there was already a Future Trunks, only for them to be wiped out by Zeno

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the tournament of power has been so loving good

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's okay.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I feel like it's a small handful of great moments drowned in a sea of mediocre to painful moments.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are some scenes and even a couple full episodes that I think could be cut entirely and the show would be for the better. like if they cut the part where roshi scares that girl out of the arena, his episode would be very good. nothing you can do about the sniper episode tho; it's just all around bad and by far the worst of the tournament thus far

still, I think this arc's been consistently very good since the special. not perfect but way more good than bad

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Manatee Cannon posted:

there are some scenes and even a couple full episodes that I think could be cut entirely and the show would be for the better. like if they cut the part where roshi scares that girl out of the arena, his episode would be very good. nothing you can do about the sniper episode tho; it's just all around bad and by far the worst of the tournament thus far

still, I think this arc's been consistently very good since the special. not perfect but way more good than bad

The special was the first legitimately good episode since the tournament started and since then it's been in and out on if it's good or not; I'd trend towards 'yes' after the Special but before it I absolutely think it was worse then any other arc in DB or DBS.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nothing is worse than the first half of the red ribbon arc.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like how Tien got one episode, it was poo poo, he died and now he barely even gets to speak from the stands. Poor Tien.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I have liked pretty much every ep of the TOP even if the stuff past the special has been a step up. The arc, just like every arc, has real bad problems with pacing, but that's Dragonball for you.

The Tien ep made it real obvious the writers weren't sure why they even bothered including him in the first place though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Momomo posted:

I have liked pretty much every ep of the TOP even if the stuff past the special has been a step up. The arc, just like every arc, has real bad problems with pacing, but that's Dragonball for you.

The Tien ep made it real obvious the writers weren't sure why they even bothered including him in the first place though.
I figure it was because he was the only credible character left. They probably were going to do the Freiza hell swap thing for Buu and at that point there's a glaring opening in the lineup unless you want to include some completely new character or Monaka.

Like the only other option was Gotenks, who was A. Gotenks, B. composed of two children, and C. might have gotten them wiped for cheating.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yamcha would have probably been a better pick for the comedy potential.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I feel like it absolutely should have been Gotenks and the excuses for why it wasn't him were really hollow. Even in Tien's opening episode he was getting tooled on.

The fact he still got an elimination at all is insane to be honest.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The dinosaur guy from Dragon ball with the bubble gum attack (and wings???) would be putting in work right now.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Goku should have looked for Jackie Chun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhonne posted:

Goku should have looked for Jackie Chun.

Jackie Chun didn't do poo poo to help whe King Piccolo was ruining their poo poo so gently caress that guy.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean there's a good reason for not bringing Gotenks as his own guy, if you're doing really well and he defuses now you have 11 people and you're probably disqualified.

But dropping Krillin and Tien for them both feels like it almost wouldn't have been too bad an idea with how weak the other Universes seem at times, sadly.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

When will Tao Pai Pai get his time to shine?!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean there's a good reason for not bringing Gotenks as his own guy, if you're doing really well and he defuses now you have 11 people and you're probably disqualified.

But dropping Krillin and Tien for them both feels like it almost wouldn't have been too bad an idea with how weak the other Universes seem at times, sadly.

Give Goten and Trunks Potaras instead of the Fusion Dance. It'll last for an hour, long enough for the tournament.

But yes you probably would need to bring them as two people.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they should have included android 8 in the top

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

reignofevil posted:

Admittedly it's not the same thing but we've already seen jumping timelines protects you and the only reason I can imagine it would (since Zeno made those time rings a thing) would be if it was because future trunks was out of the way of where Zeno was erasing. Definitely worth a shot to find out if Zeno can erase something if he doesn't already know where it is.

Jumping timelines protecting you from erasure might be a reason why time travel is such a big sin in the eyes of the gods.

(Well, a retroactive reason, since there's no way that Toriyama would ever plan that out)

Dias posted:

I like how Tien got one episode, it was poo poo, he died and now he barely even gets to speak from the stands. Poor Tien.

Tien sucks so loving badly that his spotlight episode is the worst one in the entire top. That's an impressive dedication to being terrible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tien sucks so bad that he had the least amount of screen time of the u7 members in his spotlight episode

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

Jumping timelines protecting you from erasure might be a reason why time travel is such a big sin in the eyes of the gods.

(Well, a retroactive reason, since there's no way that Toriyama would ever plan that out)

Well, time travel being a sin in the eyes of the gods was established as early as Xenoverse (although the Supreme Kai of Time said she outright lied to Trunks about it, but then again, I can imagine none of the gods even remotely thought a mortal would be able to invent time travel before Bulma did it) and Whis pointed out that time travel is a sin because changing the past could bring extreme effects in the future (despite the fact that time travelling creates alternate timelines except with direct intervention by godly or demonic powers).

Also I'd say most of the ToP has been good, pacing aside (and if I have to criticize an arc for pacing, I have to stop watching this series entirely). Not as good as the previous arc, but the Future Trunks arc has been a highlight of Dragon Ball in general. And this arc has given us lots of neat moments for otherwise ignored characters, as well as the very first canon female Super Saiyans who were cool and good. Pretty much the only episode I genuinely disliked was the Tenshinhan one because...it was beyond pointless, and we had stuff like Ribrianne being pretty badly handled, but overall it's a good arc.

I just have no idea how the hell it'll keep up until March. Universe 4 is getting ringed out in two episodes, so that leaves nothing but Universe 7 and 11 for months, and the latter has a whole three people left.
If nothing big happens, the series will just become rather boring.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

How much "time" is left in the ToP anyways?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

It’s starting to feel to me that the actual TOP will be over by late January at the latest and the next two months will either be the fallout from the wish or the typical DB thing where the tournament is interrupted by a crazy threat

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I think last time it was 19 minutes?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
They should've time traveled again to drag future Trunks back for the tournament

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Give Goten and Trunks Potaras instead of the Fusion Dance. It'll last for an hour, long enough for the tournament.

The world isn't ready for Trunten

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Rhonne posted:

13 minutes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Manatee Cannon posted:

tien sucks so bad that he had the least amount of screen time of the u7 members in his spotlight episode

Even in his recruitment ep he pretty much did nothing to help the main problem of the episode. loving Chaiotzu helped more than he did.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

g0lbez posted:

They should've time traveled again to drag future Trunks back for the tournament

Knowing his luck, that seems like a great way to doom the universe.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Knowing his luck, that seems like a great way to doom the universe.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Hey, current Future Trunks would be a great ace in the hole in case the Gods start poo poo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

g0lbez posted:

He wouldn't be able to use his sword, and therefore would be useless :colbert:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

seiferguy posted:

He wouldn't be able to use his sword, and therefore would be useless :colbert:
But the sword is really cool, so it'd be allowed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vegeta should have brought a saibaman instead of Tien.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I feel like it's a small handful of great moments drowned in a sea of mediocre to painful moments.

So the normal Dragon Ball pacing then?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

OctoberCountry posted:

So the normal Dragon Ball pacing then?
Outside of Super and filler, I can't think of an arc that I consider as much of a mixed bag than this one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Outside of Super and filler, I can't think of an arc that I consider as much of a mixed bag than this one.

Buu got really dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Burkion posted:

Buu got really dire

Red loving Ribbon