Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“There’s gonna be another season of Big Little Lies!”

“Oh man but it was such a perfect one and done, whyyyy-“

“Andrea Arnold is directing the entire season”

“yyGIVE IT TO ME NOW”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

“There’s gonna be another season of Big Little Lies!”

“Oh man but it was such a perfect one and done, whyyyy-“

“Andrea Arnold is directing the entire season”

“yyGIVE IT TO ME NOW”

my exact thought process

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

So, Psych: The Movie was fun. Woody showing up seemed a little contrived but other than that the cameos worked. The Lassie one was kind of a downer though as it was super obvious that he is still recovering from his stroke as one side of his face didn't move when he was talking. They tried to cover for it but it was still pretty obvious. On a brighter note the Buzz cameo was a blast and made me laugh really hard.

In a pre-air interview Roday mentioned that this is definitely not leading toward a full on revival but USA is thinking of bringing them back for a semi-annual movie thing.

Psych Movie was absolute amazing and hilarious! Ending was just perfect.

Buzz cameo loved it.
John Cena at the end was great! Love that Flair did her signature wrestling submission on Henry.

I would totally be in if they did a yearly movie. Especially if Lassie can be healthy for the next one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Digital Jedi posted:

Buzz cameo loved it.
John Cena at the end was great! Love that Flair did her signature wrestling submission on Henry.

I would totally be in if they did a yearly movie. Especially if Lassie can be healthy for the next one.

I loved the bit with Jules and the Chief: "I've actually never met your husband." "That can't be right."

Also, "He's got a dog on a pogo stick!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Holy poo poo, wait until you see episode 7!

jesus gently caress you weren't kidding, i just finished it. holy poo poo that was amazing. rachel brosnahan has got to get major heat off this

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

She's so good. She makes me think of ERW, but on speed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s one of the best lead performances in years, no doubt.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like did people like the April/Andy relationship or were they normal humans who thought it was insufferable overdone twee bullshit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
seems like a weird thing to bring up out of nowhere but yeah I loved April/Andy they were amazing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Calaveron posted:

So like did people like the April/Andy relationship or were they normal humans who thought it was insufferable overdone twee bullshit

You're not 5,000 candles in the wind

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

They are among the most popular parts of the show so

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hope and vaseline posted:

The worst thing about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is that it's only 8 episodes long. Jesus christ did ASP blow this away.

No, the worst thing is the ad campaign on facebook that was 5 or 10 seconds of her in a 50's dress tossing her hair that made me think this was gonna be another boring attempt at a new mad men, or, god forbid, starting a new Gatsby party theme. I resisted watching it because of those lovely ads. I was wrong.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

People hated the April/Andy marriage thing at first, didn't think it was going to last. But they were proven wrong.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked April/Andy as well. It helped that I liked both characters independently quite a bit. I also feel like the writers did a good job of fitting the downright cartoonish personalities of the characters together in a way that made it seem like they had chemistry.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

April and Andy followed the tried and true Mike Schur character/series arc:

1. Schur develops a new show with a really similar style/premise as his last show, characters and relationships are not fleshed out
2. Show hits a groove, characters and relationships develop in new and interesting ways
3. Schur gets a new show and the characters spin their wheels because he’s distracted by the shiny new show
4. Schur sees people reacting negatively to the wheel spinning and introduces some zany new characters and zanier guest characters
5. Schur is almost completely gone, rest of writing staff Flanderizes the characters
6. Ratings go down, cast members leave, show does something really weird for a few episodes and is cancelled

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
.......what? you know Schur never left Parks, right? he was the showrunner the whole time. he never ran B99, that’s always been Dan Goor

but also the dates don’t add up and just what?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the Parks and Rec finale was great.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Snak posted:

Also the Parks and Rec finale was great.

All 3 of them were.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Parks and Rec suffered around season 6 for being a bit phoned in and not too funny, but the characters were never anything but lovable, April and Andy ranking high up among them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

esperterra posted:

Evan Rachel Wood? Hmm, I never would have made the comparison, since I only know her from Westworld and Across the Universe.

But Rachel Brosnahan is charisma and charm personified. I can't get over how great she was, or how much I loved that show. My wife and I binged it over the course of three nights, and as great as it was (especially the finale), we were left wanting so much more.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Here's the Real Actual Schur Arc:

1. Show launches, reviews well after initial bumpiness, usually about some group of sufficiently multicultural misfits learning how to bond
2. Show hits groove, all pieces are firing - it's a traditional sitcom, but a good one, and show is able to balance its archetypes without exaggeration for at least a little while
3. Show suddenly decides to become focused on some Stakes Changing Plot Development even though Schur can't plot a show to save his loving life
4. Stakes Changing Plot Development occurs. It might, or might not, be conceived and executed well.
5. Show becomes focused on New Stakes.
5a. As soon as New Stakes become focused on Schur realizes that he, again, can't plot a show to save his loving life, usually within a couple of episodes.
5b. Schur immediately attempts to reset show's stakes Back to Normal.
6. Show is reset back to New New Stakes, which is the old standby, prompting the audience to wonder why he wasted all of their loving time on a dumb bullshit Stakes Changing Plot Development if he was gonna put everything back to normal within (pick one) a season/4 episodes/ literally one loving episode.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingexecutive posted:

[Misplaced Schur hate]

Basically the issue with television shows is that, after a point, there’s only so far you can go with the characters, their stories have been told and they’ve grown as much as can reasonably be expected, and by the third or fourth season they stagnate or become caricatures of themselves (Flandarizaion). There are basically two ways to avoid this—either end the show (which is often not a choice) or try to shake things up. Traditionally, that’s done be adding, yes, zany guest stars (Nanu Nanu!) but Shure hit upon something with S6 of Parks and Rec that usually works, but is rarely done for fear of alienating the show’s audience: shaking up the status quo so significantly that the characters are given new reasons and ways to grow and change.

He took that lesson to The Good Place, which has spent the better part of S2 literally hitting the reset button on the show again and again, which has allowed for exploration of mankind’s inherent nature (the show’s theme) but also how TV characters are and aren’t allowed growth, and how that can be subverted and even exploited. It’s nothing short of brilliant, really, and also creates some incredible obstacles for the writing staff themselves, which in turn has lead to some truly inspired premises and deft, yet heady writing.

I know it’s more popular that ever to look at a work from a metanarrative perspective, but S2 of The Good Place really is about writing for television. I could write a whole effortpost about that, but it’s 12:30am and my daughter is gonna wake up in six hours.

I’ll just remind you that both Ted Danson’s character and the show runner share a first name, and you should be able to figure out where I’m going from there.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The common problem that Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99, and The Good Place all share is that Schur doesn't cameo as Mose Schrute

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The final season of Game of Thrones isn't airing until 2019 :negative:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Farewell, last lingering shred of hype.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It was ridiculously lovely show running that Parks and Rec span it's wheels for two torturous seasons of unfunny poo poo and then decided they needed to time jump over interesting character development for a final season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rarity posted:

The final season of Game of Thrones isn't airing until 2019 :negative:

We been knew for like a year+ now.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Digital Jedi posted:

Buzz cameo loved it.

I hate that I learn of actor's deaths/health issues in this thread so much. Lassie :(

I was kind of 'meh' on checking out the Psych movie, since I thought the original series went on too long and it got less fun once Shawn and Jules got together. Plus, Shawn's jokes seemed to go from goofy/wily to downright mean-spirited the last couple seasons.

But if a bunch of you guys are praising it, maybe I'll give it a peek.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You have to love a man who told people he's doing fine, he just caught "a wee case of the stroke".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Jim Bean's playing the same gunrunner from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul on Shut Eye. Neat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

let's be fair, ERW has probably been on speed a lot :j:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Top Gear fans? Here's what James May looks like now.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I didn't actually anything about Marvelous Mrs. Maisel until you talked about it , but I just watched the first 2 episodes an it's pretty great. If it continues like that it will be at least in my top five shows of the year.

If you are on the edge about the show definitely give it a shot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eezee posted:

I didn't actually anything about Marvelous Mrs. Maisel until you talked about it , but I just watched the first 2 episodes an it's pretty great. If it continues like that it will be at least in my top five shows of the year.

If you are on the edge about the show definitely give it a shot.

oh it gets better, so much better

also as an appreciator of little things, i'm delighted they had Susie smoking real Lucky Strike non-filtereds. that's what i smoked for like 20 years, but now they cost goddamn $7/pack

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Top Gear fans? Here's what James May looks like now.

Jesus he looks like Norm MacDonald’s pervy drunk older brother.

Does Hammond still have the terrible goatee?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Piers Morgan and Gabriel Byrne

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FX has announced they're developing a Welcome to Night Vale TV series.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rip Top Gear

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Rip Top Gear

They’re not on Top Gear anymore

From the looks of it, it appears to be some kind of show about zombie TV show hosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
tony shalhoub is also astoundingly good in Mrs. Maisel

• Locked thread