Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ecavalli posted:

Oh good, more baffling anime bullshit completely lacking in context.

He kicked a dude.

Really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
which is totally different from Superman being badass for punching a dude, really hard, because:

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

which is totally different from Superman being badass for punching a dude, really hard, because:

For one thing, we know who Superman is.

For another, Superman punching a dude really hard is usually accompanied by some kind of contextual explanation of why anyone should care -- unlike that solitary anime panel which is completely meaningless to anyone who isn't well-versed in whatever the hell the source material might be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's a whole squad of anime nerds nursing hard-ons for that image, but those of us without Naruto wall scrolls above our beds get nothing from it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Thanks for establishing your superior taste and rejection of the comics of the perfidious oriental.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I think OPM is great but that's pretty lacking of context and whatnot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ecavalli posted:

For one thing, we know who Superman is.

For another, Superman punching a dude really hard is usually accompanied by some kind of contextual explanation of why anyone should care -- unlike that solitary anime panel which is completely meaningless to anyone who isn't well-versed in whatever the hell the source material might be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's a whole squad of anime nerds nursing hard-ons for that image, but those of us without Naruto wall scrolls above our beds get nothing from it.

You had a good point until you decided to detour into whatever weird issues you have in the last paragraph.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

You had a good point until you decided to detour into whatever weird issues you have in the last paragraph.

You're right. I was punching down. I won't defend that wall scrolls comment.

I will point out, however, that my issue is not a "comics rule, manga sucks" thing. It's that every few pages in this thread, someone (often the same person who posted the image we're discussing) posts a sole manga panel with no explanation, assuming other people should have any idea what it means. That person is then immediately called out for this, and it's carefully explained that context is a pretty important component of human understanding.

Sadly, as we've just seen, there's always those who want to blame some kind of bias against manga instead of just telling Say Nothing to stop being such a lovely poster.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 9, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ecavalli posted:

You're right. I was punching down. I won't defend that wall scrolls comment.

I will point out, however, that my issue is not a "comics rule, manga sucks" thing. It's that every few pages in this thread, someone (often the same person who posted the image we're discussing) posts a sole manga panel with no explanation, assuming other people should have any idea what it means. That person is then immediately called out for this, and it's carefully explained that context is a pretty important component of human understanding.

Sadly, as we've just seen, there's always those who want to blame some kind of bias against manga instead of just telling Say Nothing to stop being such a lovely poster.

Well I mean people wouldn't have blamed that had you not gone down that path.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
You want badass? How about FLAME SWORDS and LASER DEMON EYES and CURSED CYBER-ARMS

So an everyday dad gets a magic lamp for helping an old lady cross the street, and the genie inside promises to make all his dreams come true. ( read right-to-left )

Selected pages from Mizukami Satoshi's "Too Late For Fantasy."

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean people wouldn't have blamed that had you not gone down that path.

Valid point. I clearly did my argument no favors with my eagerness to mock Say Nothing.

Squidster posted:

A whole bunch of panels

See, now THAT is some useful context! Squidster does manga right.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Even something as coherent as those panels, it still feels like a fever dream. Disjointed, missing info, jumping around

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Even something as coherent as those panels, it still feels like a fever dream. Disjointed, missing info, jumping around

thats kind of the point its a fever dream of his newfound self as a successful author smashing through the inhibitions of his youth that almost convinced him to give it up.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I also did skip a bunch of pages showing buildup, Tokyo getting destroyed ( because of course ) so that I wasn't posting the entire short. It's the same author behind the Lucifer Princess & The Biscuit Hammer, and most recently Spirit Circle.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

AkumaHokoru posted:

thats kind of the point its a fever dream of his newfound self as a successful author smashing through the inhibitions of his youth that almost convinced him to give it up.

Nah, that's how all manga is. Most others is even more disjointed and nonsensical.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There's a bit in Understanding Comics which gives a breakdown of the different kinds of panel transitions, and how Japanese comics use a totally different mix of them from American ones, but sadly McCloud fails to explicitly note that their way is bad and wrong, and ours is strong and pure.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doc Hawkins posted:

There's a bit in Understanding Comics which gives a breakdown of the different kinds of panel transitions, and how Japanese comics use a totally different mix of them from American ones, but sadly McCloud fails to explicitly note that their way is bad and wrong, and ours is strong and pure.

Even Homer nods.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh we're posting about manga now? Cool.

The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer

In this flashback, we find out the Origin Story of the villain, Aniums, and his sister, Anima, who's fighting him. They are twins, coming from the future, and they have somehow developed psychic powers. By experimenting with them they accidentally kill a whole spaceship full of people, and they end up in a hospital in a space station to recover from their injuries.

Anima is really saddened by all the death and destruction they've caused, and wants to seal away their powers. Animus, on the other hand, doesn't want to, because he wants to be special.

One of the doctors at the hospital, however, discovers that the twins have special powers, and is super stoked as this is clearly the next step in human evolution and humanity will become like gods. And he tells Anima and Animus exactly that.

It... doesn't go well.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Mikl posted:

Oh we're posting about manga now? Cool.

The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer

In this flashback, we find out the Origin Story of the villain, Aniums, and his sister, Anima, who's fighting him. They are twins, coming from the future, and they have somehow developed psychic powers. By experimenting with them they accidentally kill a whole spaceship full of people, and they end up in a hospital in a space station to recover from their injuries.

Anima is really saddened by all the death and destruction they've caused, and wants to seal away their powers. Animus, on the other hand, doesn't want to, because he wants to be special.

One of the doctors at the hospital, however, discovers that the twins have special powers, and is super stoked as this is clearly the next step in human evolution and humanity will become like gods. And he tells Anima and Animus exactly that.

It... doesn't go well.

It's like a Looney Tunes short minus likable characters and entertainment value.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Please stop posting animes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ecavalli posted:

It's like a Looney Tunes short minus likable characters and entertainment value.

:agreed:

At least *something* happened, though. Not just incessantly talking about things.

Still terrible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine the difference here is that (for instance) you all know who Dr. Doom and Thanos are, by reputation if nothing else, so having them talk poo poo at each other and then Doom throws a punch and the purple one is a skeleton, seems cool and badass. Manga series don't have the same opportunity to build up that cultural freight, especially here in America.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Anime (and manga) are garbage and you are garbage for liking them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

goddamn yall are some sad dinosaur nerds

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

purple death ray posted:

:corsair:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Anime (and manga) are garbage and you are garbage for liking them.

We are all eating from the same trash can called Naruto.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Someone made a Google doc a while back tracking it and I'm pretty sure the youngest person who even follows BSS is 30 so yeah pretty much.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Posting manga panels in these threads never goes well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's like a whole forum for animes. I don't go in there and post panels from Swamp Thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Maybe you should.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Maybe you should.

You can do that if you want.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think ADTRW even has panel threads to begin with.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

You can do that if you want.

I don't have a weird performative hate of media from a specific country so I think I'm fine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't have a weird performative hate of media from a specific country so I think I'm fine.

:lol:

Yeah, it's specifically because it's from Japan. Sure thing, Chief.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Roth posted:

Convince people to read a manga in one panel/page/whatever

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Didn't know about this. Gonna bookmark it, because that's a neat thread idea.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I have an manga avatar and like anime.

The panels posted in the last 2 pages are poo poo, and I would not have posted them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Proteus Jones posted:

:lol:

Yeah, it's specifically because it's from Japan. Sure thing, Chief.

When it happens so often it's a thread meme, and the only connection is the fact it's manga, it's probably not an objective judge of panel quality that's all I'm saying.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

When it happens so often it's a thread meme, and the only connection is the fact it's manga, it's probably not an objective judge of panel quality that's all I'm saying.

I think we've become risk averse to seeing manga in this thread because almost invariably:

Toshimo posted:

I have an manga avatar and like anime.

The panels posted in the last 2 pages are poo poo, and I would not have posted them.

It's either this, or they involve needing a more than a passing familiarity with the back story to know *why* it's "badass".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Roth posted:

I suggest ADTRW>Badass Panels: Pretty much just Hajime No Ippo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah you got me, I hate japanese media, which is why I'm currently watching Kurosawa films and plan on binging Takahashi Miike's work.

It couldn't possibly be that I have an issue with a specific subgenre of Japanese comic's tropes and the way they're delivered in this thread by the same 3 posters even though no one likes it.

I'd be just as annoyed if DT kept posting awful Red Hood panels or whatever. But hey, don't let reality or facts or common sense get in the way of trying to lay sick burns on posters you have ancient grudges against.