Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Here's an article about Travis Woo getting banned from one of his teammates. He misses the point but it's interesting because it's an article from someone on TWoo's side that shows what we pretty much knew already, and it's that Travis Woo has a major case of Internet Inflicted Brain Rot. It's the usual story. 'All opinions are equally valid, and I don't want to discount anything, so I'll accept any claim from anyone! No one should be censored or face consequences for the things they say or their actions that harm other people.' General internet cretin mentality where they take in so much mind poison that they can't see how moderating the forum that they are in charge of when it gets out of hand is an obligation, and you will face consequences for not doing your job when it eventually blows up into a serious issue.

http://modernmanifesto.com/on-travis-woo/

lol so many juicy bits in there

"Travis used racial slurs but since they weren't specifically referencing my race I was ok with it"

"Although he didn't agree with what the trolls did, he didn't want to drive them away because they might pay for an overpriced coaching session"

"Travis intended the group to be an unmoderated space for trolls, how was he supposed to know that they would put offensive things in there?"

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/leearson/status/937341571447406592

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Here's an article about Travis Woo getting banned from one of his teammates. He misses the point but it's interesting because it's an article from someone on TWoo's side that shows what we pretty much knew already, and it's that Travis Woo has a major case of Internet Inflicted Brain Rot. It's the usual story. 'All opinions are equally valid, and I don't want to discount anything, so I'll accept any claim from anyone! No one should be censored or face consequences for the things they say or their actions that harm other people.' General internet cretin mentality where they take in so much mind poison that they can't see how moderating the forum that they are in charge of when it gets out of hand is an obligation, and you will face consequences for not doing your job when it eventually blows up into a serious issue.

http://modernmanifesto.com/on-travis-woo/

tl;dr: tragic: the blathering

keep in mind this is the same travis woo who openly said desolatormagic was a genius because he knows how to play the villain and get clicks

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

deftest posted:

re UNSLEEVEDMEDIA

This has been entertaining, to be sure. Partly because I had no idea that the "magic player" and "anti-SJW" groups had any overlap. Aren't all magic players blue? How do you love a game based so deeply in logic and still think/act that way?

isn't it:

-"but freedom of speech! but he OWNS his MTGO collection! You're STEALING it from him!"
-"no. wizards owns everything; he agreed to an EULA so long as he followed their rules which he demonstrably didn't"
-"oh okay right"

the same way it's:

-"tap GG for counterspell"
-"counterspell costs UU"
-"oh okay right"

?

Why do you think so many Magic players hate blue? I think the situation is more like this:

A: "I play my creature."
N: "I counter your creature."
A: "That's bullshit! You shouldn't be allowed to stop me from doing what I want to do in this game! My ability to play whatever I want while you just sit there letting me is basically free speech!"
*Wizards starts making creatures strong and counterspells weak*
A: "See, Wizards clearly agrees with me."

Now replace "I play my creature" with "I harass people at my LGS who don't look and act like me".

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

PJOmega posted:

Was that the Super Deformed thing I vaguely recall?

I was thinking of Build Fighters, which is sort of like Pokemon but with Gundam models instead of monsters.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Retromancer posted:

so your argument is that it would have made a 2nd or 3rd archetype in a format good, and that it would have made a completely format dominating combo deck that everyone saw needed a ban immediately better without enabling its combo in any way? those are weak arguments to ban a card. Mage was bad in CoCo because of the pseudo flash. it would have been fine in any of the subsequent standards.

Monument was the best deck in the format for awhile, and would've been over the top with Reflector Mage. And yes, the fact that it would've made a completely format dominating combo deck that everyone saw needed a ban immediately better without enabling its combo in any way should be a giant red flag that the card is too good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Monument was the best deck in the format for awhile, and would've been over the top with Reflector Mage. And yes, the fact that it would've made a completely format dominating combo deck that everyone saw needed a ban immediately better without enabling its combo in any way should be a giant red flag that the card is too good.

Ban every one-mana cantrip I guess.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jabor posted:

What? Cantrips are good in combo decks because they enable the combo by helping to find it.

Edit: And in case it isn't clear, I'm not advocating that every card that could make a combo deck better without helping the combo be banned. Reflector Mage is different because it could regularly decide games without the combo in another way (opp gets bounced on three or four, can't play anything, effectively loses two turns) for very little opportunity cost.

Reflector Mage caused broken game states and judge calls, creates unfun games where you don't play magic, dominated one format, would've dominated another, and significantly improves an overpowered combo deck. That's a lot of strikes against it.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 9, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

permaban twoo
permaban alex bertoncini
permaban hq
make asscrack guy a l3 judge

I actually had this discussion with an acquaintance at my LGS who hangs in Bertoncini's circle. He readily admitted that Bertoncini is a cheater and he doesn't condone that behavior. But he still tried to defend Bertoncini as being a cool guy to hang out with, and it sucked that he was probated because "he plays Magic to help feed his family" to which I replied "That's a dumb gently caress idea to begin with."

He even tried to explain away that incident the weekend Bertoncini got off probation as just "a judge being unfair because he's Bertoncini." loving hilarious.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jabor posted:

I want a modern format where the only good first turn play for blue is suspending Ancestral. :getin:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

deftest posted:

re UNSLEEVEDMEDIA

This has been entertaining, to be sure. Partly because I had no idea that the "magic player" and "anti-skeleton" groups had any overlap. Aren't all magic players blue? How do you love a game based so deeply in logic and still think/act that way?

Unfortunately, being good at magic and being a goddamn idiot are orthogonal. Travis Woo is legitimately fantastic at magic. Unfortunately, he's also Travis Woo.

More generally, as much as nerds like us would like to believe otherwise, being capable at science or math or MTG does not imply the ability to think critically about politics.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

permaban twoo
permaban alex bertoncini
permaban hq
make asscrack guy a l3 judge the community manager

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 9, 2017

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
If anything it strongly correlates to being a mega numbskull about everything including math or science you are not specialized in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

deftest posted:

re UNSLEEVEDMEDIA

This has been entertaining, to be sure. Partly because I had no idea that the "magic player" and "anti-SJW" groups had any overlap. Aren't all magic players blue? How do you love a game based so deeply in logic and still think/act that way?

isn't it:

-"but freedom of speech! but he OWNS his MTGO collection! You're STEALING it from him!"
-"no. wizards owns everything; he agreed to an EULA so long as he followed their rules which he demonstrably didn't"
-"oh okay right"

the same way it's:

-"counterspell costs UU"
-"oh okay right"

?

Literally no one on this planet is a wholly rational actor. No one acts off of "pure logic" if there even is such a thing.

Life experiences color perceptions. Hope this helps :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Asscrack guy should have Maro's job

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://clips.twitch.tv/FragileBlazingRaisinFUNgineer

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Unstable is pretty fun.

Edit: just after posting a guy played Summon the Pack against me. Lol

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 9, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I drafted Jund Dice in Unstable because my first two cards were The Big Idea and As Luck Would Have It, then got passed Krark's Other Thumb and Ol' Buzzbark, and then Grusilda Monster Masher for value.

I proceeded to lose to U/W Evasive because my deck exploded on me :negative:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
While it might end up a total bust, if you already own chalices and want to play this mono blue as fortold deck this might be the last night to get them for this cheap. As fortold is mythic and visions is as cheap as it’s ever been in a while. I bet to see this on camera tomorrow.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ShaneB posted:

Unstable is pretty fun.

Edit: just after posting a guy played Summon the Pack against me. Lol

Someone hit 11 creatures out of an AR pack tonight, generating 6 energy when they hit the table. :v:

I got a third-pick(!) Mary O'Kill and drafted 4 killbots. She's loving gas and I wish the concept translated better to black border land.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
trip report: killed 3 creatures with the ordinary armchair so tonight was a win in my book

hammer jammer + some dice buffs is a disgusting creature that will swing for 9 on the regular

also someone had gimmie five and was running around the room gaining 10 life every other game from it

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 9, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Subcontract was fun.

Judge!

...thoughtsieze my opponent please.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't really mind Unstable or anything, I'm just kind of ho-hum about the fact nobody seems interested in actual Magic these days. It's mostly just joke cards or the shitstains that play it.

I've been having fun with Grixis Midrange. It's not a color combo I play often, but sometimes you get to cast Chandra turn 4 and then play Bolas, because why the gently caress not

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Subcontract was fun.

Judge!

...thoughtsieze my opponent please.

gently caress YOU THAT'S THE FOURTH TIME THIS MATCH. THEY DISCARD A LAND. :mad:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

While it might end up a total bust, if you already own chalices and want to play this mono blue as fortold deck this might be the last night to get them for this cheap. As fortold is mythic and visions is as cheap as it’s ever been in a while. I bet to see this on camera tomorrow.

Chalice? I've only seen CalebD streaming a test version with chalice but no posted decks. Am I missing something?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

deftest posted:

re UNSLEEVEDMEDIA

isn't it:

-"oh okay right"

the same way it's:

-"counterspell costs UU"
-"oh okay right"

?

nerds want to think they're smart and special, but ALSO they want to think they've been oppressed for being smart and special, and mtg/D&D/being a smelly piece of poo poo is their "safe space." anyone who has been unfairly mean to them, you know THE JOCKS and women, don't deserve to get to play games. while you were kissing your girlfriend I WAS STUDYING THE TRON MATCHUP et cetera.

because of nerd social fallacies they've also twisted things around so that telling someone to use hygiene, to not scream slurs, to not sexually harass is "gate keeping" and "harassment" whereas actual gate keeping and harassment is just part and parcel for protecting your turf from everyone who has oppressed you. also the thing about nerds and "logic" is that nerds are very strongly controlled by their emotions but very invested in considering themselves smart and logical so they make decisions based on their feelings and then smugly explain that their slurs and poor behavior are steeped in incontrovertible truths about the universe

it's kind of fascinating to me to be honest. but the important thing to know is that nerds have convinced themselves they're a persecuted minority and that asking them to not be cruel and disgusting is harassment, whereas actual harassment is just justifiable and logical behavior to protect their hobbies and beliefs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Walked posted:

Chalice? I've only seen CalebD streaming a test version with chalice but no posted decks. Am I missing something?

The deck is still very new and not optimal. Saying that, the chalice version seems like the best version.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

President Ark posted:

gently caress YOU THAT'S THE FOURTH TIME THIS MATCH. THEY DISCARD A LAND. :mad:

Call a judge on the judge because thoughtseize can't get a land. :eng101:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MaRo's voice aside, this is loving glorious. :allears:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Call a judge on the judge because thoughtseize can't get a land. :eng101:

WELL THEN I GUESS THESE 7 CARDS ARE ALL LANDS AND THEY CAN'T DISCARD ANYTHING. :mad:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Unstable draft seems like it would be fun in a play group or just in a pod of people that know how to play magic.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

MaRo's voice aside, this is loving glorious. :allears:

Lands in front. Deserved it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

The deck is still very new and not optimal. Saying that, the chalice version seems like the best version.

What's the chalice version you're referring to? I own everything except living ends for that deck and I have chalices. Been thinking of trying it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dehtraen posted:

Unstable draft seems like it would be fun in a play group or just in a pod of people that know how to play magic.

There's a reason I want to build an Unstable Cube.

Most likely a set emulating Cube, 4/3/2/1 for the rarities.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What's the chalice version you're referring to? I own everything except living ends for that deck and I have chalices. Been thinking of trying it.

Just basically a version with maindeck chalice due to the free wins it generates.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
P2P1 an Adorable Kitten and did not regret it. My entire deck, minus that one reminder-text tapper, was host/augment creatures and cards that cared about it, including the legendary creature that was P3P1. Humming- is so good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So how exactly do the mechanics of both being in your hand and on the battlefield at the same time work?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Went 3-0, 6-0 with WG augment at LGS tonight. Was originally WU random stuff, but then opened Dr. Julius Jumblemorph pack 2, so that was it. Pack 3 got passed the Earl of Squirrels which never saw play.

Drafted 3 contraptions, played 2 (Dual Doomsuits, Refibrillator) with 2 Joyride Riggers in my deck.

Drafted both Angelic Rocket and Slaying Mantis, but unfortunately did not play them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Matsuri posted:

So how exactly do the mechanics of both being in your hand and on the battlefield at the same time work?

imagine that you have two cards: one in your hand, one on the battlefield; anything that affects one affects both, and if one is removed from the zone it's in the other goes with it (so for instance discarding it also kills it off the battlefield)

the one exception is bouncing from battlefield to hand which doesn't do anything

President Ark fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 9, 2017

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

President Ark posted:

imagine that you have two cards: one in your hand, one on the battlefield; anything that affects one affects both, and if one is removed from the zone it's in the other goes with it (so for instance discarding it also kills it off the battlefield)

the one exception is bouncing from battlefield to hand which doesn't do anything

That seems... actually like quite a drawback since it's that much more vulnerable. But I guess that's the price of free spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

HolyShamgar has been playing a version with chalices this week on stream. Go catch one of his archives.