Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Yes. If Comey had never existed then Trump would have lost. He deserves more a lot more hate than Hillary gets; whether or not Bernie Would Have Won, she was at least genuinely trying to avert disaster. He knew exactly what Trump getting the presidency would mean, and he decided to risk that for the sake of one last dig at Hillary.

He didn't expect it to happen though. Comey released the weiner crap because everyone assumed Hillary had it in the bag so his goal was to protect the FBI from four years of republican bludgeoning over a nothing story. If he hadn't and she'd won, Weiner's E-mails would be the Russia story.

Blame Hillary. For better or for worse she lost the presidency to the single most ill equipped human who has ever received a major party nomination, even after a tape of him talking about sexually assaulting women became public.

Edit: I mean, not to put too fine a point on it, but if Hillary had used two separate phones, or had chosen not to host her e-mails on a server in her basement, she'd be president and Comey wouldn't have had to do poo poo.

Caros fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

beejay posted:

What are you even asking here? Did you read your links?

The "please explain a thing that happened to me that's I could quickly and easily catch myself up on" squad aren't really the types to help themselves.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean, yes? If we entertain the premise of this third-rate Clancy scenario, NK attacks SK+Japan, then the US would absolutely retaliate with a wave of nukes... you have a whole lot of dead Koreans but the US is unscathed. The entire premise of this article is based on the assumption that the US will *hold back* nuking NK, to the detriment of the US being nuked... which defies literally everything we know about the people in power. A scorched Asia and millions of dead North Koreans is possible; Trump insisting on a conventional air campaign after NK has used nukes is total nonsense.

Let's be clear here: a universe where NK nukes SK and Japan is a universe where North Korea is then flattened by US nuclear fire within hours. That's hosed up and terrible, and the scenario we should be worried about, not some dumbass world where we inexplicably piss them off precisely enough to also allow them to nuke us.

Which is why Kim wouldn't hold back either. He'd launch immediately against the US mainland as well.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Ha there's a girl wearing the shirt too. Talk about Stockholm syndrome.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Which is why Kim wouldn't hold back either. He'd launch immediately against the US mainland as well.

Aren't their missiles still a bit inaccurate?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Caros posted:

He didn't expect it to happen though. Comey released the weiner crap because everyone assumed Hillary had it in the bag so his goal was to protect the FBI from four years of republican bludgeoning over a nothing story. If he hadn't and she'd won, Weiner's E-mails would be the Russia story.

Blame Hillary. For better or for worse she lost the presidency to the single most ill equipped human who has ever received a major party nomination, even after a tape of him talking about sexually assaulting women became public.

Edit: I mean, not to put too fine a point on it, but if Hillary had used two separate phones, or had chosen not to host her e-mails on a server in her basement, she'd be president and Comey wouldn't have had to do poo poo.
I do blame Hillary, even though the email scandal specifically is a ridiculous nothingburger that the Republicans built up over years. But I blame Comey more, because "he didn't expect it to happen" is only good enough to turn murder into manslaughter. He was head of the FBI, he knew exactly how dirty Trump was and what he was risking, he did it anyway, and that was loving unconscionable.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Caros posted:

She set up the battlestation at home to have some privacy. But public officials are *NOT* entitled to privacy when operating in an official capacity. She was setting up a go-around to the FOIA. She didn't murder anybody, our friend Vilerat's blood is not on her hands. But that was kind've an unacceptable thing. Not like Trump level, but we hadn't seen Trump level yet.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

pumpinglemma posted:

I do blame Hillary, even though the email scandal specifically is a ridiculous nothingburger that the Republicans built up over years. But I blame Comey more, because "he didn't expect it to happen" is only good enough to turn murder into manslaughter. He was head of the FBI, he knew exactly how dirty Trump was and what he was risking, he did it anyway, and that was loving unconscionable.

The whole series of events that forced him to make a choice was engineered by Putin via guccifer, assange, and stone. Seth Rich theories aside.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Uglycat posted:

She set up the battlestation at home to have some privacy. But public officials are *NOT* entitled to privacy when operating in an official capacity. She was setting up a go-around to the FOIA. She didn't murder anybody, our friend Vilerat's blood is not on her hands. But that was kind've an unacceptable thing. Not like Trump level, but we hadn't seen Trump level yet.
Her predecessor did literally the exact same thing, though.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
That’s the paradox of 2016, that everyone’s absolute certainty that Trump would lose created the exact confluence of events he needed to win. In the parallel reality that’s just like ours except there are no polls, we’re halfway through Hillary’s impeachment.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Right. And Kim knows that a strike on the US would result in the immediate annihilation of him and his people. Which is why he won’t, and hasn’t, made a strike. Which is why that article has to contrive a ridiculous scenario of trump responding to nukes with ineffective air strikes to get to its conclusion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really hope someone reports those people with the T-shirts to their employers and gets them fired

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

pumpinglemma posted:

Her predecessor did literally the exact same thing, though.

Yeah, it's new tech. We're gonna get it wrong.

Also, the effect of Comey's decision was deliberately amplified by fake news and an army of sockpuppets that might have been necessary to ensure it changed the outcome.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 9, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol oops

https://twitter.com/mattdelong/status/939308871985876992

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

beejay posted:

What are you even asking here? Did you read your links?

Back up that attitude, I'm asking why the fact that the rest of the yearbook was verified isn't getting more media attention compared to the later-added date and location.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
jesus loving christ shut up about her clarified butter emails.

Also iirc her own email server turned out to be more secure than gov servers and the russians couldn't get in, so they then settled on hacking people and orgs close to her.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

PhazonLink posted:

jesus loving christ shut up about her clarified butter emails.

Also iirc her own email server turned out to be more secure than gov servers and the russians couldn't get in, so they then settled on hacking people and orgs close to her.

It was also immune to foia requests. By design. And that's not acceptable.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just a bad couple of days for this guy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do we even have Cop Apologist? I have never seen "cops are good actually" posted on this website.

The Cops on the Beat threads had plenty of them.

They were also out in force in the Treyvon Martin thread(s).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sweet can't wait for 20 pages of election relitigation and 'but hillary' bullshit in the Trump thread

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Cops on the Beat threads had plenty of them.

They were also out in force in the Treyvon Martin thread(s).

Poetic Justice is claiming the cop was justified because he was scared in the GBS thread as we speak

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Sweet can't wait for 20 pages of election relitigation and 'but hillary' bullshit in the Trump thread
I think it's insane that people are still grappling with one of the most jarring, shocking, and dangerous things to happen to the Executive Branch and a clear failure of the American system of governance a year after it happened.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I like Comey because without his interference Trump wouldn't have been elected, this thread wouldn't exist and I would need something lame to fill my time with, such as chess or knitting.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I like Comey because without his interference Trump wouldn't have been elected, this thread wouldn't exist and I would need something lame to fill my time with, such as chess or knitting.

I thought the lame thing was 7DTD?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
nm, what was I thinking

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Uglycat posted:

If that was the plan then it failed miserably because she handed over thousands of emails before we even knew she had a server.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Welp, gave 25 bucks to Doug Jones. I'm sure it won't matter but I want to soothe my lovely mind.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Mr Interweb posted:

If that was the plan then it failed miserably because she handed over thousands of emails before we even knew she had a server.

I'm not saying Hillary is the Boogeyman the GOP want her to be. I am saying public officials at that level have zero right to privacy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

The Clinton II Administration has blood on its hands.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Uglycat posted:

I'm not saying Hillary is the Boogeyman the GOP want her to be. I am saying public officials at that level have zero right to privacy.

Right, and I'm saying if the goal was to circumvent FOIA requests, then she's incredibly incompetent because she didn't use that loophole to avoid obeying the request.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr Interweb posted:

Right, and I'm saying if the goal was to circumvent FOIA requests, then she's incredibly incompetent because she didn't use that loophole to avoid obeying the request.

wait

are you suggesting

Clinton might have been . . .

. . . a fuckup?

MIND BLOWN

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/vicenews/status/939203328013160448

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Ugh, the only thing disappointing about the unyielding unmitigated revanchist skullfucking that a Blue Wave should legislatively deliver is that Yertle would presumably not be around as the Senate Minority Leader to receive it straight in the ear.

I mostly laughed at Contract With America in the '90s, and I was kinda "I'll get you next time, Gadget" with Bush v. Gore, but holy hell has the theft of Merrick Garland's seating left me as Never Again as any human being possibly could be. It honestly gets me worse than anything that Trump has done.

Edit: MERRICK jesus christ

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

wait

are you suggesting

Clinton might have been . . .

. . . a fuckup?

MIND BLOWN

Sure but the point is that emailgate was stupid and nonsensical from thevery beginning.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Uglycat posted:

Only true if you concoct a very specific scenario that involves extremely tight deadlines not mandated under the law along with complete stonewalling that would eventually be unravelled and punished anyway.

I mean, I agree, it should never be done that way again. Hell the only reason it became a publicly discussed series of misinformation is due to nearly a decade of taxpayer funded efforts to sit around and find something to nail her with and even then they had to fabricate half of this story to give it legs.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
BUT HER EMAILS

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Roy Moore is either going to win the Senate race, or come in a little behind

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Trazz posted:

Roy Moore is either going to win the Senate race, or come in a little behind

-_-