Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Yes sometimes my best dudes are ones I rapid fire recruited on the cheap and kept the ones with good stats and traits. On day 170 and my best 2-hand sword is a Houndmaster with iron lung, my 2nd best archer is a Tailor. I've also recruited hedge knights with lovely stats and bad traits, like one guy has pessimist and is never happy despite being is every battle.

That said I also got a really good hedge knight with Strong and Bright and 80+ melee and 3 stars melee defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Hiring and firing guys to churn through them feels really gamey so I don't bother doing that, but as far as recruitment I've only rarely picked up an advanced recruit that was worth the money. I usually just go for farmhands and the like, dudes who have enough stamina to carry a shield, a weapon, a decent helmet and some good armour, which is what they really need to be survivable enough to get good anyway. You can have all the stats in the world but if your stamina sucks in the mid to late game you're dog food without even the tin can to hold it.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I don't think looking at 3 fisherman in a fringe village for a strong shield user to fill out your team is game breaking. If you have a few hundred gold you're not spending on food or upkeep, it's an investment towards capable recruits. You churn through them in a macro sense maybe, stretched out over the middle part of the game.

Also Stamina is a stat, having good stamina counts as having good stats. So like I'd keep a guy with 3 star melee and preferably others in defense and fatigue. That of course never really happens but I keep the ones who are close.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 8, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
You have about a 1/1000 chance of finding a bro with a total of 9 talent stars, never mind having all of them where you'd want them. I had a Tough Farmhand with 3 stars in Melee Skill and both Defenses once, but that was when I was new to the game, playing on Beginner and savescumming recruits.
Now I'll just keep people with good potential in the stats most relevant to the roles I want to fill. A bro with good Melee Skill and Fatigue but nothing in any Defense is still gonna be good with a mace.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had a very promising cultist get brained with a flail on day 4 of my current run, but buddy if you died to get me a pike, a T3 flail, a falchion, two suits of patched mail coats, and a unit of salt on day 4 you were totally worth losing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Spam recruiting farmers is 100% worth it, if you recruit like 20 naked farmers I am almost entirely sure that you will get a better single recruit than hiring one hedge knight for 4k.

Other backgrounds don't give such a big return because they don't have the huge stat ranges that farmers have. Wildmen are pretty good as well but significantly rarer and usually a bit more expensive.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I’ve had good luck with hedge knights, raiders, and sell swords, but none of the other expensive backgrounds. Nobles of any type (adventurous, disowned, or bastard) have been terrible. Squires have been the best value for money.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I've had a few good bastards here and there but yeah, for the top tier hires raiders and sellswords are surely the most reliable. Think I've only had the one hedgeknight and he didn't last long enough for me to form an opinion one way or t'other. The old dudes, retired swordmasters or whatever they are, have such abysmal stamina that I can never field them with the armour they need to survive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Where do you actually find Hedge Knights? I can never seem to find them when I'm ready to start hiring them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have a gang of bros around day 15-16, when is the combat going to open up past the "slowly advancing shield wall w/ archers behind them" part I am in now? It's getting kinda dull but every time I try something cute I get slaughtered.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Start building some bros into greatswords, they need to be a decently high level to have enough stats and perks to not be useless, but they're good fun. You can viably have 0 shield bros, though it's useful to have 1 or 2.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

I have a gang of bros around day 15-16, when is the combat going to open up past the "slowly advancing shield wall w/ archers behind them" part I am in now? It's getting kinda dull but every time I try something cute I get slaughtered.

As you get better armour you can start worrying less about shield-walling and just have shields and advance much faster. Then as your armour continues to improve you can start forgoing shields entirely on some people. The way armour works in this game, the heavier your armour is the higher a proportion of damage it takes versus your bro's HP, so even the occasional arrow hit won't do serious damage to a heavily-armoured bro. But yeah, early in the game with bad armour and low defence ratings the shields are pretty essential.

The other thing though is it can be worth just charging straight into melee, even with low-level or poorly-armoured bros. The constant shield walls mean you only advance at half speed, whereas advancing as fast as possible gets you in melee in only one or two turns, which means fewer turns getting peppered with arrows by the enemy and less fatigue when you do enter melee because your guys haven't been doing exhaustive shield walls the whole time.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any recommendations for some let's plays to watch to get good?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gyshall posted:

Any recommendations for some let's plays to watch to get good?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826875

Elpato's LP is good fun, and more importantly you can learn along with him! By the second (fourth if you count the streams full of oh god ghouls) company he's got things down way better.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Holy poo poo I just got a legendary lindwurm coat of mail. I didn't realize they came in legendary form. 333 defense, 29 fatigue, immune to acid.

Also, by the way, if you're doing the envoy mission, THE ENVOY IS AN ACTUAL rear end in a top hat THAT FOLLOWS YOU UNARMED INTO BATTLE.

So uh, don't attack a raider camp on the way that has 12 marksman.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 9, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't like hiring Raiders. Their Resolve can be pretty bad and they'll only ever really be good at melee. Not to say they can't be worth it but if I have the money I'd rather get a Sellsword who can be good as an archer as well depending on base stats and talents, and is more likely to be a good two-hander due to better odds of having good starting Resolve.

The expensive backgrounds (so 1,000 plus gold to pick up) I hire are pretty much just Hunters, Sellswords, Hedge Knights, Squires and Adventurous Nobles. Also Witch Hunters but that's only because I like their events. Of course, sometimes the game won't generate any of those. Then I'll resort to Raiders and Bastards as well.

Night10194 posted:

Where do you actually find Hedge Knights? I can never seem to find them when I'm ready to start hiring them.
Keeps and citadels.
Not sure if they can spawn in the wooden forts and big cities, but I think not.

bongwizzard posted:

Breaking up into more than two groups in serious fights is mostly going to be a bad idea no matter how far in the game you are.
You get variety mostly from different builds and weapons you use and enemies you fight, but the basic tactic of staying in formation and letting enemies come to you stays the same.

e: You can build lightly armored Dodge + Nimble bros that can break away from the formation and hunt down enemies on their own, but those guys take a while to get going and live dangerously.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 9, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
https://www.twitch.tv/griddead

ITS GRID STREAM TIME

edit: after goonbowl stay tuned!

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 9, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Goin' live now with Special Guest

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Night10194 posted:

I'm getting better at things and all but I cannot figure out how to safely fight orcs. I can handle brigand marksmen without them being a pain in the rear end now, I can fight noble house troops, I can deal with undead, but I cannot see a good way around the crazy chain charge-stun.

There's an item you get for taking the destroy-orc-camps ambition that makes you immune to stun, but the only other way to beat it besides that is not to get hit, and it's a pretty accurate attack. Pretty much you just want good shields and melee defense to avoid the hit, and failing that good armor so you don't get hurt too bad while you're stunned. Alternatively, get a good archer or two with overwhelm and shoot at any orc with a club.

Orcs are usually lightly armored (save for Warriors) so peppering them with arrows will usually wear them down and kill a few before they can meet your lines--a good archer with a warbow could get off three shots with Berserk. Their morale can swing pretty wildly so killing a few weak ones will make the tough ones less dangerous.

Warriors are the hard nut to crack, but do not try to break their shields--their shields are insanely sturdy to begin with and they'll two-hand their weapons for more damage, which is bad given how much armor you have to chew through to kill them. So prize Melee Attack and Defense (as if you weren't already) and lock them onto someone who is hard to hurt (Taunt if you have it, though I rarely bother) and then surround them to increase hit chances. Bring bandages, because they love cleavers. Don't bother using the stun attack from a mace on them, but regular attacks from maces are good because they quickly stack up fatigue when they land, and just trying to club them in the head can make them harmless as they spend all their remaining breath holding up a shield wall and being harmless.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This is all very good advice. I'll emphasize that Orc Young have similar damage outputs to Warriors while being poorly armored and having shaky morale, so when you encounter mixed groups you typically want to start by clearing them out first - getting the first few kills can tank their morale and possibly even unnerve the adults.

Also, I think a successful spear wall repel can interrupt the stun attack, and entering a shieldwall the turn you anticipate it can make it significantly less likely to hit.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Once you start getting higher-level perks, high initiative archers with Overwhelm are a godsend against orcs. In the first few rounds while you wait for them to come to you, you can chip away at (or even kill) Orc Young and Berserkers, then once you're in melee they put a serious dent in Orc Warriors' combat skills by continuing to shoot them. Best part? When the Orc Warrior charges through your lines to get adjacent to the archer, with the right perks your archer can Quick Hands switch to a dagger and continue getting those overwhelm attacks in, meaning that even though they charged through your lines the Orc still can't hit them but now they're surrounded and easy to kill.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Voyager I posted:

Also, I think a successful spear wall repel can interrupt the stun attack, and entering a shieldwall the turn you anticipate it can make it significantly less likely to hit.

This saved my company against a couple Berserkers early on, so yes, it does work. The Berserkers just kept running into the spears, and you have really high to-hit against Orcs.

Also, aside from the Cleaver, are any Orc weapons worth using? My Wildman has a whopping 140 Fatigue at like level 6, so I think he's going to be my oversized weapons dude.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 9, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It nearly requires a guy with Iron Lung and Fatigue stars to use consistently, but I have just such a guy who does fantastic work with an orc Man Splitter. His single target attack will absolutely ruin anything he hits, if not kill them outright. Because he also has Underdog I can stick somewhere where I know he'll be swarmed and he can go off like a nuclear bomb. Your wildman sounds pretty appropriate.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 9, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Spearwalls can repel the stun charge, yes - I always run with every second frontliner having a spear when going against orcs, and it rarely let's me down.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Haven't played this in a while, guess with the Lindwurm DLC it's time for a new campaign.

I rolled a map with 3 salt mines and a gem mine (no mushrooms though) as well as decent enough starting brothers. Do I remember correctly that salt and gems generates some nice extra income ?

Spearman is Dexterous and Determined for a whopping 67 starting melee.
Axeman has no traits.
Archer has Superstitious and Iron Lungs, 52 ranged.

In case anyone wants to take a look: 4afa01

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 10, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, have anyone sussed out how ambushes work? I still just sometimes get random instances of my guys being set up haphazardly in the center and being attacked from all sides, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to how it happened.

Originally I thought it was the "you can't see who you're fighting" screen that signalled it, but that usually procs a normal battle, and then sometimes an ambush.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tias posted:

So, have anyone sussed out how ambushes work? I still just sometimes get random instances of my guys being set up haphazardly in the center and being attacked from all sides, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to how it happened.

Originally I thought it was the "you can't see who you're fighting" screen that signalled it, but that usually procs a normal battle, and then sometimes an ambush.

I think it's when someone else attacks you instead of you attacking them. It usually happens to me when I'm speed-2ing around the map and an enemy appears out of nowhere at night, rather than me having purposefully clicked on an enemy to fight them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Might be! Thanks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quote:

Collected minor improvements and bugfixes for issues that you guys reported since the last update.

Changelog
Changed name of Fallen Hero without head to 'Headless Fallen Hero' to make it more clear that this is intended behavior.
Fixed rare issue with fresh undead becoming untargetable during the Undead Scourge endgame crisis.
Fixed initiative penalty due to waiting not being applied correctly.
Fixed Necrosavants not dropping Shimmering Ashes.
Fixed 'Horrific Scream' of Geists being subject to height level restrictions.
Fixed potentially wrong reward amount mentioned in one of the 'Drive Away Bandits' texts.
Fixed Black Monolith being selected in one of the 'Find Artifact' twists as the new target.
Fixed AI sometimes being confused on swamp terrain.
Fixed incorrect tooltip hint for muddy ground and plashy grass on swamp terrain.
Fixed 'Split Hand' injury not being affected by 'Hold Out' perk.
Fixed news about conquered settlements in the noble war crisis sometimes arriving too late and preventing other events from firing.
Fixed various minor issues.

:toot:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What is the best way to get a rare shield? I have the full loadout of legendary gear for 200 days, and i have multiple suits of armor, many helmets, weapons galore, but no shields. What is best place to check? I also make sure to do caravans and special item retrievals to get shops to sell specials, but no dice.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't think I've ever seen a unique shield on sale.
Check taverns for rumors.
Brigand Leaders sometimes carry a unique shield. Maybe Hedge Knights as well but I've never seen it.
Orc Warriors and Warlords sometimes come with unique orc shields, although those are usually poo poo.
I'd go after orcs anyway. They seem to sit on uniques quite often compared to other enemies. You can even sometimes find one in a cave guarded by only Young and Berserkers, which should be an easy fight at the stage you're at as long as your archers are decent.
Any upper tier enemy lair can have uniques afaik, but zombies have them a lot less often in my experience. e: I don't remember if I ever got a unique from a Necromancer hideout; maybe they just don't have them.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 11, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

What is the best way to get a rare shield? I have the full loadout of legendary gear for 200 days, and i have multiple suits of armor, many helmets, weapons galore, but no shields. What is best place to check? I also make sure to do caravans and special item retrievals to get shops to sell specials, but no dice.

Just keep on trying to generate unique loot and you should eventually get a legendary shield.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Meanwhile I can't seem to get any legendaries except for shields.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

Just keep on trying to generate unique loot and you should eventually get a legendary shield.

This means just clearing camps, without having a quest for them?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BurningStone posted:

This means just clearing camps, without having a quest for them?

I don't think quests will make that much of a difference. Just keep on fighting and eventually you will get it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

3-skull quests with large payouts will definitely include unique-bearing enemies on occasion.

I think the implied idea is that if you take a low-paying quest to clear a hideout, the hideout will have its enemies reset to a lower challenge, meaning less chance of a unique.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Pretty sure contracts wipe legendary treasure from camps. But I forget where I heard it. so.... shrug.

EDIT : The suggest above makes good sense.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Tylana posted:

Pretty sure contracts wipe legendary treasure from camps. But I forget where I heard it. so.... shrug.

People a lot more knowledgeable than me said that in this thread. Originally I didn't really understand but once I got about halfway-ish through and started encountering unique drops, it started making sense.

Afaik the camps spawn on their own with enemies and items (which could be unique) but are wiped and replaced if you accept any quest to that location. As someone else mentioned, you usually don't see uniques on anything less than 3 skull quests. So if you've just started and are only capable of doing 1 or 2 skull quests, it's best to just walk around clearing out camps and not taking those quests that will wipe the camp and potentially erase a unique. This way you're getting exp/gold/loot while actively targeting cool unique items.

IMO this is easier said than done; for me it was hard saving enough gold for salaries, food, and tools to go walk around half the map while also improving allegiance to one faction.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

Any upper tier enemy lair can have uniques afaik, but zombies have them a lot less often in my experience. e: I don't remember if I ever got a unique from a Necromancer hideout; maybe they just don't have them.

I've gotten a unique two-handed Axe from an armored weirdeganger+necromancer gang. It definitely wasn't dropped by anyone carrying it, though, so it was lair loot for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

People a lot more knowledgeable than me said that in this thread. Originally I didn't really understand but once I got about halfway-ish through and started encountering unique drops, it started making sense.

Afaik the camps spawn on their own with enemies and items (which could be unique) but are wiped and replaced if you accept any quest to that location. As someone else mentioned, you usually don't see uniques on anything less than 3 skull quests. So if you've just started and are only capable of doing 1 or 2 skull quests, it's best to just walk around clearing out camps and not taking those quests that will wipe the camp and potentially erase a unique. This way you're getting exp/gold/loot while actively targeting cool unique items.

IMO this is easier said than done; for me it was hard saving enough gold for salaries, food, and tools to go walk around half the map while also improving allegiance to one faction.

I think it might be some quests overwrite, not any quests overwrite. Not sure. I know that over-writing can happen though, I'd confirmed that through reloads.