Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shageletic posted:

The setting is pretty tight as well, especially when they go INTERPLANETARY

The glimpse we get of Tiphares looked pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Firstborn posted:

That article made me real sad we didn't get GDT, Tom Cruise, 150M, and Mouth of Madness.

I feel like you could still trick Cruise into doing Mountains of Madness. Just tell him it's part of the "Dark" "Monsters" cinematic universe. It's technically not lying since it'll be dark and there'll be monsters.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I recently rewatched the Carpenter flick with Sam Neill and was kind of surprised at how much I like it today.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

More signs that Disney’s acquisition talks with 21st Century Fox are picking up steam: Both companies have set teams of bankers on the case to work out the fine print.

Disney is working with a group that includes JP Morgan and Guggenheim Partners. Both entities have long relationships with Disney.

Fox has Goldman Sachs and Centerview Partners crunching its numbers. Centerview is said to be focused on financial details related to the Fox assets that would not be part of the Disney acquisition. Goldman Sachs and Centerview previously advised Fox on its unsolicited $80 billion bid in 2014 for Time Warner, among other deals.

It is possible that a deal could be struck before Christmas, according to a source close to the matter.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-fox-goldman-sachs-centerview-jp-morgan-guggenheim-partners-1202634210/

Crap.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fuckin lol

i get what they were going for but that does not work for me at all

(re: alita)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

fuckin lol

i get what they were going for but that does not work for me at all

(re: alita)

:same:

No one told me this was a sequel to Big Eyes. I mean, it's obvious that Christoph Waltz is reprising Walter Keane.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
When do we get hollywood Dr Slump?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Firstborn posted:

I recently rewatched the Carpenter flick with Sam Neill and was kind of surprised at how much I like it today.

The John Carpenter movie, At the Mouth of Madness, doesn't have anything to do with At the Mountains of Madness except for being inspired by Lovecraft.

Mountains of Madness is about an antarctic expedition that goes sideways. More movies should be about Expeditions Gone Wrong. Hope Annihiliation doesn't suck.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I believe the story is that Guillermo del Toro killed his Mountains of Madness movie because Prometheus did it better.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

GrandpaPants posted:

The John Carpenter movie, At the Mouth of Madness, doesn't have anything to do with At the Mountains of Madness except for being inspired by Lovecraft.

Mountains of Madness is about an antarctic expedition that goes sideways. More movies should be about Expeditions Gone Wrong. Hope Annihiliation doesn't suck.

o well gently caress that movie

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

pospysyl posted:

Honestly, I'd prefer if Robert Rodriguez was a little more ambitious here. The real criticism here, aside from "looks weird", is that it just looks boring. You'd think that a distinctive visual choice like Alita would be accompanied by other creative visual designs, but there's just nothing. Aside from her the movie looks boring as poo poo, which just makes her look goofy. Maybe the movie will be better, but the trailer is just not a good showing.

Fifth Element did Blade Runner's dirty future so well that we've been doomed with gritty sci-fi movies being set on Trashworld ever since.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Robert Rodriguez getting this gig when he hasn’t had anything resembling a hit since Sin City back in 2005 is some peak Hollywood Boys’ Club bullshit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Timby posted:

I believe the story is that Guillermo del Toro killed his Mountains of Madness movie because Prometheus did it better.

that is insane

prometheus is imo alright, but there's no way a del Toro Mountains of Madness wouldn't be better.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Annihilation is apparently in the center of a conflict between producers, with one guy thinking that the movie is "too intellectual".

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/annihilation-how-a-clash-between-producers-led-a-netflix-deal-1065465

The movie is also part of a deal with Netflix that could see it available internationally on the service mere weeks after the US release.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Timby posted:

I think Alien vs Predator is closer to Mountains of Madness than Prometheus is. Not that I really like either.

Besides, neither has

or those cool barrel shaped guys

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shageletic posted:

It's the eyes.

Here's the trailer btw: https://twitter.com/Alitamovie/status/939215626987433984

the replies on the trailer is pretty hilarious.

e:https://twitter.com/jesuisundziu/status/939220184912596992

When Rodriguez was announced as director for this I lost interest pretty much straight away. But this, I love. It's as if Tim Burton from a time when Tim Burton didn't suck made a science fiction fight movie, what's not to love? The trailer seems to hint at Alita being rebuilt by Ido, Makaku and Hugo all being part of the movie, which would make it really crowded and probably close to the anime that came out in the 90s. But if they are keeping even half the weird poo poo with Makaku in the movie it's no small wonder the trailer looks a bit bland.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I know that Alita is a passion project for Cameron and everything but it's not this big cultural crossover that requires a 200 million budget plus whatever the total marketing budget will be. I love the manga and think that it's great but unless it has a brilliant marketing campaign then it's not going to make the money back.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I wonder how in the world they are going to handle Makaku if it turns out to not be R-rated. Its hard to make a PG-13 version of a body snatcher who gets high off of eating human brains.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
After the Battle Angel trailer I think it is time to retire the phrase "uncanny valley" because every single person on the internet must have said it multiple times today and it has lost all meaning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Damo posted:

After the Battle Angel trailer I think it is time to retire the phrase "uncanny valley" because every single person on the internet must have said it multiple times today and it has lost all meaning.

It lost all meaning when people on the internet started using it to talk about anything that has a face but shouldn't

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

It lost all meaning when people on the internet started using it to talk about anything that has a face but shouldn't

???

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Testekill posted:

I know that Alita is a passion project for Cameron and everything but it's not this big cultural crossover that requires a 200 million budget plus whatever the total marketing budget will be. I love the manga and think that it's great but unless it has a brilliant marketing campaign then it's not going to make the money back.

It would have been cool to get a slice of life smaller ultraviolent action flick like Dredd out of it.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Would.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Guarantee the reviews for Alita will be terrible and it'll do mediocre box office, because the narrative is already set that it's trash and no one bothers to wait and actually see movies before coming to firm and unshakeable stances on them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It will also be bad which will muddy the waters abit.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'd like to take a moment to recognize that the movie's cast is very heavily hispanic (I assume Rodriguez pushed for this) which is a fairly big deal for a blockbuster of this magnitude. Rosa Salazar as the lead is cool, but also Eiza Gonzalez, Marko Zaror, Jorge Lendeborg Jr, and the motherfucking queen of action Michelle Rodriguez.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Where is Uncle Machete?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

this is a great movie, even if it's only for the last 15 minutes or so

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

DC Murderverse posted:

I'd like to take a moment to recognize that the movie's cast is very heavily hispanic (I assume Rodriguez pushed for this) which is a fairly big deal for a blockbuster of this magnitude. Rosa Salazar as the lead is cool, but also Eiza Gonzalez, Marko Zaror, Jorge Lendeborg Jr, and the motherfucking queen of action Michelle Rodriguez.
It's also cool since the setting is post apocalyptic Kansas, diverse in more ways than one despite the efforts of 21st century racists.

After giving it some thought, I agree that they may be going for a Frankenstein's monster approach with Alita, who is literally less human (just a brain ) than that monster. She can be infinitely scarier too, but I don't think the movie will touch on that yet. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Annihilation is apparently in the center of a conflict between producers, with one guy thinking that the movie is "too intellectual".

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/annihilation-how-a-clash-between-producers-led-a-netflix-deal-1065465

The movie is also part of a deal with Netflix that could see it available internationally on the service mere weeks after the US release.

Haha the man behind GEOSTORM stepping in to say that an Alex garland movie isnt gonna be popular

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Powaqoatse posted:

that is insane

prometheus is imo alright, but there's no way a del Toro Mountains of Madness wouldn't be better.

I have really high hopes for The Shape of Water too, but the guy hasn't made a good movie in a decade. I wouldn't automatically assume quality.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you assume that is their intent I guess but I doubt it.

Why else make her all-CG, all the time? And I somehow doubt that the effects team working on this is competent enough to produce a main CG character of this quality while also being incompetent enough to get the size of human eyes wrong.

I mean, it's a story about a robot living among humans. "She's slightly inhuman on purpose" doesn't strike me as a terribly outlandish conclusion to draw here, especially compared to "they made her all CG and hosed up basic anatomy because :shrug:".

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

i don't like judging people by how they look most of the time because it can lead to things like writing off guys like Channing Tatum or John Cena, but that Geostorm producer looks like the dumbest motherfucker in LA. Like, I think we have found this generation's Jon Peters.

funny thing I learned about Jon "I think Superman needs to fight a giant spider" Peters while looking him up on Wikipedia: he was an executive producer on Man of Steel, but apparently Christopher Nolan had him banned from the set, presumably for being Jon Peters. Apparently, thanks to some incredibly sweetheart deal he made post-Batman in an effort to get a new Superman movie made, Peters got executive producer credits on both Man of Steel and Superman Returns and got tens of millions of dollars for basically doing nothing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DC Murderverse posted:

funny thing I learned about Jon "I think Superman needs to fight a giant spider" Peters while looking him up on Wikipedia: he was an executive producer on Man of Steel, but apparently Christopher Nolan had him banned from the set, presumably for being Jon Peters. Apparently, thanks to some incredibly sweetheart deal he made post-Batman in an effort to get a new Superman movie made, Peters got executive producer credits on both Man of Steel and Superman Returns and got tens of millions of dollars for basically doing nothing.

Yeah Peters bought Superman's films rights way back in 1993 and kept his claws in them for a every long time. He got a producer credit on Superman Returns as well.

There was a ton of failed Superman movie projects in the 90s and early 00s, the Kevin Smith story about the giant metal spider is only a tiny tiny percent of the craziness:

quote:

Ultimately, Warner Bros. chose to put the film on hold in April 1998, and Burton left to direct Sleepy Hollow. At this point in production, Warner Bros had spent $30 million on developing the film. Burton, citing various differences with Peters and the studio, said, "I basically wasted a year. A year is a long time to be working with somebody that you don't really want to be working with."

Disappointed by the lack of progress on the film's production, aspiring screenwriter/comic book fan Alex Ford was able to have a script of his (titled Superman: The Man of Steel) accepted at the studio's offices in September 1998. Ford pitched his idea for a film series consisting of seven installments, and his approach impressed Warner Bros. and Peters, though he was later given a farewell due to creative differences. Ford said, "I can tell you they don't know much about comics. Their audience isn't you and me who pay $7.00. It's for the parents who spend $60 on toys and lunchboxes. It is a business, and what's more important, the $150 million at the box office or the $600 million in merchandising?"

With Gilroy's script, Peters offered the director's position to Michael Bay, Shekhar Kapur and Martin Campbell though they all turned down the offer. Brett Ratner turned down the option in favor of The Family Man. Simon West and Stephen Norrington were reportedly top contenders as well. In June 1999, William Wisher, Jr. was hired to write a new script, and Cage assisted on story elements. Cage dropped out of the project in June 2000, while Wisher turned in a new script in August 2000, reported to have contained similar elements with The Matrix. Oliver Stone was then approached to direct Wisher's script, but declined. Peters offered Will Smith the role of Superman, but the actor turned it down over ethnicity concerns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_in_film#Abandoned_projects

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 9, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

i don't like judging people by how they look most of the time because it can lead to things like writing off guys like Channing Tatum or John Cena, but that Geostorm producer looks like the dumbest motherfucker in LA. Like, I think we have found this generation's Jon Peters.

He's not dumb. He is where he is because his father is one of the richest people in the world and he also dropped out of college dammit!

Idk how megan ellison is so good at what she does. Random chance i guess.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is her name pronounced Arita

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, that.. creepy as hell look on Alita has kinda put me off the movie already if that's going to be the final product, and I imagine I'm not alone. Uncanny valley CGI has sunk promising movies and this looks like it's immediately going to turn people off assuming the filmmakers are incompetent and it's too violent to pass as a kids' movie. It's just bad design, and trying to explain that away as being on purpose isn't helping, because we still have to look at it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

got any sevens posted:

Is her name pronounced Arita

Do you have a side of Chuck Norris Memes going with this vintage joke?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah Peters bought Superman's films rights way back in 1993 and kept his claws in them for a every long time. He got a producer credit on Superman Returns as well.

There was a ton of failed Superman movie projects in the 90s and early 00s, the Kevin Smith story about the giant metal spider is only a tiny tiny percent of the craziness:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_in_film#Abandoned_projects

Jon Peters is a treasure trove of classic Hollywood stories. like the flip side of Robert Evans. instead of being a hollywood wunderkind who was in the right place at the right time who ended up being responsible for many of the greatest auteur-era films of the 1970s before burning out, he was a hollywood wunderkind who was with the right woman at the right time who ended up being responsible for a bunch of absolute loving garbage and still works regularly. I imagine both did enough cocaine to kill a gorilla.

Sometimes there is no justice in LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah, that.. creepy as hell look on Alita has kinda put me off the movie already if that's going to be the final product, and I imagine I'm not alone. Uncanny valley CGI has sunk promising movies and this looks like it's immediately going to turn people off assuming the filmmakers are incompetent and it's too violent to pass as a kids' movie. It's just bad design, and trying to explain that away as being on purpose isn't helping, because we still have to look at it.

Trailer hasn't even been out a day and already the takes are piping.

• Locked thread