Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I read the first book of battle angel even though that poo poo's not my kind of poo poo and it was great,i genuinely want to watch the movie based on that gif alone.

You should read the other 8 volumes. It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Cameron was talking about it being PG-13 too which is like, at least you could have had Robert Rodriguez directing a movie with tons of super splattery gore like the comic but not even that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Cameron was talking about it being PG-13 too which is like, at least you could have had Robert Rodriguez directing a movie with tons of super splattery gore like the comic but not even that.

Think of the kind violence you see in the Transformers movies. Battle Angel will replace the blood with different colored fluids while still having cyborgs being ripped apart. Cameron's mentioned that. It'll still be violent as gently caress in nature, but mechanical fluids being splattered about instead of actual blood in order to keep that PG-13 rating. That's what I'm expecting since RR is no stranger to making super violent films. He'll at least be able to faithfully translate that part of what made the manga an entertaining read to the big screen no doubt.

Serf
May 5, 2011

boy that whole thing just looks terrible

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Serf posted:

boy that whole thing just looks terrible

I don't know if you're WRONG, but it at least looks like someone had a fully fleshed out vision and ran with it. Sometimes that works just though its own inertia.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

Think of the kind violence you see in the Transformers movies. Battle Angel will replace the blood with different colored fluids while still having cyborgs being ripped apart. Cameron's mentioned that. It'll still be violent as gently caress in nature, but mechanical fluids being splattered about instead of actual blood in order to keep that PG-13 rating. That's what I'm expecting since RR is no stranger to making super violent films. He'll at least be able to faithfully translate that part of what made the manga an entertaining read to the big screen no doubt.

Yeah I remember even in the late 90s/early 00s he was talking about how all of the cyborgs would have blue blood or whatever, it's just disappointing given how much the manga runs wild with ripped flesh on metal bodies like Cameron's own Terminator and T2 stuff.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

True. Figure the Battle Angel IP runs the risk of not really doing well at the box office if it were rated R. The movie has a $200 million dollar budget, which is crazy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I frankly can't see it as a bigger risk than Fury Road or the new Alien movies, and Cameron has easily as much pull as Scott and probably quite a bit more than Miller. :shrug: Battle Angel isn't some super hot thing, but it's got a pretty dedicated fanbase in the USA (partly because Cameron's been hyping it for so long) who'll be absolutely happy to evangelize the gently caress out of it to literally everybody who'll listen if the movie looks good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
No one knows what Battle Angle Alita is, are you kidding me?

Walk up to 200 people and ask them if they know and you'd be lucky to get one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

GonSmithe posted:

No one knows what Battle Angle Alita is, are you kidding me?

Walk up to 200 people and ask them if they know and you'd be lucky to get one.

and if you do find that one i'd suggest getting away from them quickly before they show you their body pillow girlfriend

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know what it is but it's hilarious because I was expecting like a mass of wires and metal and guns and an anime head or something, like a scrap metal valkyrie. I got one part right!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The direction it's going is different, and after the initial shock, I'm happy we didn't get some generic GitS design, but actually something that may match the weirdness of the manga.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

teagone posted:

You should read the other 8 volumes. It's really good.

I kinda would like to, but i'd also die a death inside if had one of those things on my shelf for anyone to see lol.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
Took me a couple of views, but I'm already used to her eyes. I can already tell this is one of those enjoy the spectacle and buy the art book movies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I kinda would like to, but i'd also die a death inside if had one of those things on my shelf for anyone to see lol.

Libraries are a thing that exists.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there something about this particular anime I should know?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

And also, spoiler alert: nobody actually gives a poo poo what's on your bookshelf.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Cameo posted:

And also, spoiler alert: nobody actually gives a poo poo what's on your bookshelf.

Basically, if you're actually cool, people think what you like is cool, for the most part.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

My main complaint is that Alita: Battle Angel is a terrible change of title.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

PriorMarcus posted:

My main complaint is that Alita: Battle Angel is a terrible change of title.

Did it used to be Battle Angel Alita, the other way around? Because I've never heard of the thing except for Cameron being into it for years, so I wasn't sure if I was misremembering.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Li...bra...ry? Lol, get this fancy motherfucker.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The Cameo posted:

My bookshelf is full of human heads and autographs from piers morgan,no way am i having some anime poo poo on there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I frankly can't see it as a bigger risk than Fury Road or the new Alien movies, and Cameron has easily as much pull as Scott and probably quite a bit more than Miller. :shrug: Battle Angel isn't some super hot thing, but it's got a pretty dedicated fanbase in the USA (partly because Cameron's been hyping it for so long) who'll be absolutely happy to evangelize the gently caress out of it to literally everybody who'll listen if the movie looks good.

Mad Max and Aliens. No way is Battle Angel even in the same universe as those two when it comes to brand recognition. Only people who have been hyped about the movie are either 1) Cameron ultra nerd fanboys, 2) people who've read the manga, and 3) people who have seen the OVA. It's super loving niche.

DC Murderverse posted:

and if you do find that one i'd suggest getting away from them quickly before they show you their body pillow girlfriend

Hurrrrrr. *fart*

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Did it used to be Battle Angel Alita, the other way around? Because I've never heard of the thing except for Cameron being into it for years, so I wasn't sure if I was misremembering.

No. It was a running gag from the producer, Jon Landau, that was mentioned in a couple interviews. The joke was Cameron only ever directed films that start with a "T" and an "A" so when it came to Battle Angel Alita, he jokingly mentioned Cameron would title the film "Alita: Battle Angel" and then they actually ended up sticking to that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

teagone posted:

No. It was a running gag from the producer, Jon Landau, that was mentioned in a couple interviews. The joke was Cameron only ever directed films that start with a "T" and an "A" so when it came to Battle Angel Alita, he jokingly mentioned Cameron would title the film "Alita: Battle Angel" and then they actually ended up sticking to that.

Wait... so, yes? Or what did it used to be called?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

LesterGroans posted:

Yes. It used to be called Battle Angel Alita, which, to me, sounds way loving better and rolls off the tongue easier.

Alita: Battle Angel just doesn't have a good ring to it. Though, I suspect, is set up partially that way for franchise purposes so that we can have Alita: Sequel Title etc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

The film never had an official title. It's just been known as Cameron's adaptation of Battle Angel for almost two decades. Unless you're talking about the manga, which was retitled for its english translation to Battle Angel Alita.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes. It used to be called Battle Angel Alita, which, to me, sounds way loving better and rolls off the tongue easier.

Alita: Battle Angel just doesn't have a good ring to it. Though, I suspect, is set up partially that way for franchise purposes so that we can have Alita: Sequel Title etc

Okay, thanks, that makes sense.

Although, you'd think they'd try to market the "Battle Angel" part.

Battle Angel Resurgence absolutely sounds like a thing that would exist.

teagone posted:

The film never had an official title. It's just been known as Cameron's adaptation of Battle Angel for almost two decades. Unless you're talking about the manga, which was retitled for its english translation to Battle Angel Alita.

Oh, word. So they must think the "Alita" name is something they'll be able to build from.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Article from 2010 where Landau says he's trying to convince Cameron to title the film Alita: Battle Angel. http://www.mtv.com/news/2596073/avatar-producer-says-battle-angel-alita-has-a-new-name-will-follow-avatar-2/

From what I understand, Cameron was just going to call the film Battle Angel.

[edit]

LesterGroans posted:

Oh, word. So they must think the "Alita" name is something they'll be able to build from.

Right. I would have just preferred they called it just "Alita" or just "Battle Angel" but I'm fine with the retooling of the title.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
As far as I can remember, the one manga about alita I read was set in a post apocalyptic environment and alita was decked out with a whole arsenal of weapons, fighting cyborg mad max-esque road gangs.

I'm not seeing nearly enough battle in that trailer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Im legit surprised there was real sets in this film and the whole thing wasn't filmed in Rodriguez's garage in a weekend.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Goffer posted:

As far as I can remember, the one manga about alita I read was set in a post apocalyptic environment and alita was decked out with a whole arsenal of weapons, fighting cyborg mad max-esque road gangs.

The story arcs of Alita are almost completely self-contained tales in almost entirely different genres, barely strung together by a thin narrative, almost as if it was a Heavy Metal compilation. Each has some very novel gimmicks that set them apart.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Goffer posted:

It was only a teaser. I suspect the high-octane bombastic "official trailer #1" will feature more cyborg violence and maybe snippets from the motorball set piece.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

dont even fink about it posted:

Is there something about this particular anime I should know?

The answer to this question is always "no".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Robert Rodriguez isn't bad but I'm kind of meh about him directing it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

The answer to this question is always "no".

They did do a two episode adaptation of the first storyline and it's just so so so pretty much yeah.

But the comic rules and I'd recommend it to anyone that likes, say, Neill Blomkamp stuff. It was really ambitious with its world building for the time and has a lot of bloody action and body horror cyborg imagery that was really influential (that was itself heavily inspired by The Terminator/T2 even if the designs are way more out there than anything in those movies).

The comic's setting also has a lot of imagery like the tethered floating city that can be seen from anywhere in on the ground and the roller derby stuff that, like, I can understand why James Cameron would latch onto it as a dream project for 3D stuff. But he kind of already did that with Avatar.

I don't get the big eyes thing, like in the comic everyone has big eyes because that's how it was drawn, and it seems like a weird thing to make into a plot point in the movie? I understand them going for the uncanny valley but a big part of the comic was that basically everyone living on the earth's surface is either cybered up or otherwise off looking while the super rich living in the floating city can afford fully biological treatments and such that are smuggled up there from unsuspecting victims on the surface and/or criminals caught by bounty hunters there.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/SonyAnimation/status/939567121217884160

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh hey they've finally got a title for this. It was still listed as "Untitled Sony animated Spider-Man film" when I check 4 days ago.

I guess they're leaning hard into the shared universe concept by starting with their big team up film and I guess branching out into individual films afterwards which is a bold new take.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HOly loving poo poo this looks incredible. That falling scene is gorgeous

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oh, yeah. That looks good. I forgot Lord & Miller were making this movie, but are they directing it too?

Speaking of cartoons, Teen Titans Go did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTE_AHGnFDM&t=98s

• Locked thread