Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The heavy diminishing returns in tech research would probably make more sense if most tech didn't also have an extremely small effect...

...except for ship-type techs, which have a frankly overwhelming impact compared to most other techs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So I've been playing this game a bit and it's fun, but I'm at a point in my game where I don't know what to do.

My race is hive-mind, I'm probably the 2nd or 3rd best civ in the game and hold the 2nd largest area. However, there's a militant xenophobic civ that owns as much as the next 3 of us combined and now they are on my border. I've got a few NAP's going and am on really good terms with a peer race similar in size, fleet and tech. However I can't form a federation yet given my current techs.

The big militant race declared war on me and their fleet is far more than my fleet or planetary defenses can manage. I have a few saves earlier on I can restart from, but I don't even know how to go about 'winning' or even if there is a way to do this at all.

When I mean their fleet is bigger, their offensive power of their doomstack is about 8-10x larger than my single doomstack. Even if I tried to play it out by sending ships all into their area to knock out resource points they more or less roll my entire empire before I can even make a dent. Is this game just done and I am boned or is there something cool I can try out that I haven't thought of / learned about yet?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That Works posted:

So I've been playing this game a bit and it's fun, but I'm at a point in my game where I don't know what to do.

My race is hive-mind, I'm probably the 2nd or 3rd best civ in the game and hold the 2nd largest area. However, there's a militant xenophobic civ that owns as much as the next 3 of us combined and now they are on my border. I've got a few NAP's going and am on really good terms with a peer race similar in size, fleet and tech. However I can't form a federation yet given my current techs.

The big militant race declared war on me and their fleet is far more than my fleet or planetary defenses can manage. I have a few saves earlier on I can restart from, but I don't even know how to go about 'winning' or even if there is a way to do this at all.

When I mean their fleet is bigger, their offensive power of their doomstack is about 8-10x larger than my single doomstack. Even if I tried to play it out by sending ships all into their area to knock out resource points they more or less roll my entire empire before I can even make a dent. Is this game just done and I am boned or is there something cool I can try out that I haven't thought of / learned about yet?

I would reload a save from a little bit before the war and see if you can get a defensive pact with any of the guys you have NAPs with. That might discourage the xenophobic dudes from declaring war, or at least delay them long enough to give you time to build up. If you're having trouble getting a defensive pact, try setting the xenophobic dudes as your rival - if they are so big and aggressive they are probably also rivalled by other empires that are friendly to you and the same rivals diplomatic bonus could help secure a pact.

If that doesn't work then yeah it sounds like you kind of lost this one. Can't win 'em all.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
/Ragequitting this game again the same day I got sucked back in by the Humanoids species pack.

It seems like no matter what I do, all my neighbors always have fleets 10x the size of mine and technology way more advanced. What the hell? Is there some thing I'm not doing to optimize my research? If I build fleets to keep up with the size of my neighbors, the upkeep crushes my economy, and if I don't build fleets and focus on research, I'm still behind my neighbors. This is some bullshit.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Applewhite posted:

/Ragequitting this game again the same day I got sucked back in by the Humanoids species pack.

It seems like no matter what I do, all my neighbors always have fleets 10x the size of mine and technology way more advanced. What the hell? Is there some thing I'm not doing to optimize my research? If I build fleets to keep up with the size of my neighbors, the upkeep crushes my economy, and if I don't build fleets and focus on research, I'm still behind my neighbors. This is some bullshit.

Keep your fleets in orbit when you're not at war and buy the station upgrades that decrease their maintenance. Try to make friends with any neighbours that you can, a defensive pact can put off aggressive neighbours but at least try to keep everyone nearby positive opinion of you at the start. Keep an eye on the reported strength of neighbours to make sure you're investing in ships when you need to.

Generally when I lose to the scenario you mention, it's because I've expanded too quickly - tried to keep energy costs too low so I can pay for my colonies and spent all my minerals on colony ships. There's a sweet spot between expanding too fast and stagnating with a big fleet which will allow you to do enough to keep threats at bay while still expanding quickly, but it's difficult to always get it right.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Applewhite posted:

What year is this happening? Are you building and upgrading spaceports?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Applewhite posted:

Are you building and upgrading buildings on your planets?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

I think there's a bit of an issue where the phrase "building tall" is being used to mean both "focussing more on the eXploit than the eXpand" and "super weird gimmick builds which require massive expansion but only in a very specific manner".

Yeah tall/wide doesn't really map well to Stellaris. In civ, you claim territory exclusively with cities, so your map footprint is determined by how many cities you have. If you're going "tall", you're going to have a small amount of very large cities, and very many small cities if you're going "wide". But in Stellaris you have frontier outposts, or just outposts in Cherryh. The way to get the most out of a small territory is actually to have lots of colonies (including habitats, and ring worlds too I suppose) in that territory. So you'd go tall by colonizing everything, and wide by using lots of frontier outposts/only colonizing select planets (big, or just one climate type, or whatever criteria). With planets having a hard pop cap that's reached pretty quickly civ-style tall just isn't really possible. But people still call having only a few planets tall, and having lots of planets wide. A lot of the time "tall" strategies in Stellaris that aren't one-planet gimmicks would be better termed "small", which was actually a gimmick strategy in Civ V too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Staltran posted:

Yeah tall/wide doesn't really map well to Stellaris. In civ, you claim territory exclusively with cities, so your map footprint is determined by how many cities you have. If you're going "tall", you're going to have a small amount of very large cities, and very many small cities if you're going "wide". But in Stellaris you have frontier outposts, or just outposts in Cherryh. The way to get the most out of a small territory is actually to have lots of colonies (including habitats, and ring worlds too I suppose) in that territory. So you'd go tall by colonizing everything, and wide by using lots of frontier outposts/only colonizing select planets (big, or just one climate type, or whatever criteria). With planets having a hard pop cap that's reached pretty quickly civ-style tall just isn't really possible. But people still call having only a few planets tall, and having lots of planets wide. A lot of the time "tall" strategies in Stellaris that aren't one-planet gimmicks would be better termed "small", which was actually a gimmick strategy in Civ V too.

Well, I haven't played Civ much, but IIRC, in that game you can choose to spend your money on a) building up a few cities into large megalopolises, or b) building a large number of cities that aren't all that great. Development is too limited or expensive to really do both.

In Stellaris, you can't really build up like that. The random galaxy generation has far more influence on a planet's quality than the player does. You just can't take a small planet and build it up into a large planet. In fact, development potential is relatively limited in this game, and also rather cheap - the difference between a planet filled with level 1 buildings and a planet filled with level 3 buildings isn't all that high, cost-wise or output-wise. Unless you're specifically going out of your way to limit your number of planets for the sake of "playing tall", there's never going to be a case where you say "hmmm, I could colonize that high-habitability size 25 planet, but I'd rather spend the resources on beefing up my other size-25 planets into powerhouses". Neither the costs nor the returns on developing your existing planets are really high enough to justify not expanding.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In civ, you can and should do both, actually. ICS has its advantages if you wanna win quick, but for longer games it's not optimal because big cities generate more than 4 small ones, they just take much longer to get there.

e: ICS being infinite city sprawl, where you build city - empty square - city - empty.... as opposed to cities spaced out by enough tiles that they don't steal each other's resources.

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 8, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Depends on which Civ you're talking about. The three most recent Civs have been quite different in their approaches to expansion, infrastructure, and the like (incidentally, the first three were largely the same in that regard). One reason I like having more costs attached to pops is that it actively encourages infrastructure and building up, because if you're going to have pops that cost you, then you want to get the absolute most out of those pops. But it's not about penalizing expansion. It's about rewarding the player for investment in building up. That's what I'd like. While we're looking at making ship components better, maybe also have a look at buildings and making them better.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Well I picked this up since it's 60% off. Are there any must-have DLC's as a new player?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The non-cosmetic dlc are must have, especially the Megastructure one.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

honestly id play your first game or two bare-bones without dlc. then pick up Utopia and possibly leviathans. There's enough to do with event chains and the like to keep you busy and both the major DLC add a degree of complication and endgame shenanigans.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I disagree, I had leviathans and utopia and it made my first experience a lot more interesting. Only problem really was my going in blind and not knowing endgame crises begin at around 2400ish and the Unbidden showing up right in my backyard.

How many endgame crisis factions are there? There's the unbidden and the contingency, any others?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Leviathans adds neutral trading stations that have an incredible impact on how the game plays, so I'd recommend that. Utopia is also important (although it's going to be less so after the big 2.0).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Captain Invictus posted:

How many endgame crisis factions are there? There's the unbidden and the contingency, any others?

One more, the Prethoryn Scourge (basically Tyranids/Zerg).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dutymode posted:

Well I picked this up since it's 60% off. Are there any must-have DLC's as a new player?
Also the 2.0 patch is going hyperlanes only (this is a good thing) so try out the other movement types while you can

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

Also the 2.0 patch is going hyperlanes only (this is a good thing) so try out the other movement types while you can

I wouldn't recommend wormholes to a new player, they can be really confusing. Especially because it's not obvious that you can build them in neutral space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if I was going to replace the scaling costs-per-colony thing I would probably just give the homeworld an inherent bonus to productivity because it's literally your species' homeworld, you have thousands of years of practice working it. And then add some heavy infrastructure options to the game and let your homeworld start with them. You can build them in other places with a lot of investment, but again your homeworld is old and was developed before you invented FTL so it already has a lot of really good buildings and infrastructure.

That keeps small empires strong because their homeworlds are good, and also gives you a "tall" option ala megastructures but in the form of high tier planetary tile development.

Cos I definitely don't think that the scaling costs have a very consistent and intuitive effect on empire output, nor are they very interesting and they create the issue where you actively don't want to colonize small worlds because it's hard to even make them pay for themselves which is daft.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Just hit me, but maybe small worlds could have a scaling "low gravity" modifier that decreases building costs/time and maybe gives a slight bump to mineral extraction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alpha mod does precisely that with its barren world colonization though it makes less sense now that you don't need a strategic resource to colonize them, and also it's irrespective of planet size, and also it's "zero gravity" even on a 25 tile world.

Actually it doesn't make much sense at all tbh but gravity being tied to actual planet size (as I think it already is) and having good effects at both ends of the scale would be nice.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Re: making tall empires feasible through research mechanics, what about creating something along the lines of "great leaps forward" where the ratio of your research speed to population could trigger rarer and rarer tech options that give exclusive, tangible advantages for each stage of the game. Either in the form of bonuses or valuable assets, or something crazy like hidden, alternative resolutions to the Guardian or Precursor chains. Could also be combined with late game anomalies which were brought up earlier itt - more Roadside Picnic in my Stellaris please.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

Post diplomacy screens, and maybe fleet screens for comparison. Unity picks would be nice to know also.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Split Pea Superman posted:

Post diplomacy screens, and maybe fleet screens for comparison. Unity picks would be nice to know also.

Farms $200
Labs $150
Energy $800
Pretty Borders $3,600
Ships $150
someone who is good at the stellaris please help me budget this. my empire is dying

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Artificer posted:

Are you building and upgrading buildings on your planets?

Yes all the time

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Are there any good Ironman compatible Roman things that are up to date? Mostly I'd like a name list, the ones I found are all out of date.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Farms $200
Labs $150
Energy $800
Pretty Borders $3,600
Ships $150
someone who is good at the stellaris please help me budget this. my empire is dying

spend more on pretty borders

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Achieve pretty borders through fleet spending instead

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

Achieve pretty borders through fleet spending instead

Give vassals poor quality worlds.
Colonize poor quality worlds within your borders and give them to vassals.
Make your space look like a Pollack painting.

With the vassal research bonus, and the AI's tendency to prioritize chasing vassal fleets over your fleets you'll end up much further ahead.

Submit yourself to altar of optimal compounded growth :kheldragar:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ShootaBoy posted:

Are there any good Ironman compatible Roman things that are up to date? Mostly I'd like a name list, the ones I found are all out of date.

As far as I know it's still impossible to make a name list mod that won't break achievements, sorry.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dallan Invictus posted:

As far as I know it's still impossible to make a name list mod that won't break achievements, sorry.

loving really? What the hell is the logic behind that? Some custom names aren't gonna do jack to change the game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ShootaBoy posted:

loving really? What the hell is the logic behind that? Some custom names aren't gonna do jack to change the game.

I imagine it's because it's non-trivial for the game to work out that the game isn't being changed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
And also that if the name file contains code that's being executed, you could probably put some code in there to do all sorts of things.

Paradox's ironman achievement limit thing is still dumb though, since Steam Achievement Manager exists.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
561 hours played? 0/70 achievements earned.

At this point, I don't want your 'chevos, Wiz. :smug:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just lol if you play Stellaris without mods.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Demiurge4 posted:

What's good?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Demiurge4 posted:

replace stellaris with "any paradox game"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gort posted:

What's good?

I can't imagine playing it without guili's planet modifiers, it basically just adds more poo poo to find when you're surveying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gibletron
Oct 27, 2010

Shugojin posted:

I can't imagine playing it without guili's planet modifiers, it basically just adds more poo poo to find when you're surveying.

I just bought stellaris too. Anything else that you recommend that is up to date and adds a lot more flavour to the game? I played it when it first came out and the game seemed... empty.

• Locked thread