Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
As far as physicality goes Bautista was perfect for the antagonist in the new Kickboxer franchise.

Unfortunately the movie sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He was a bit wasted in Spectre but he still was good in it for the material he was given.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

His scene in Bladerunner was one of the best scenes in the film. In all of 5 minutes you learn almost every single facet of the current world’s socioeconomic status. It was a shame he wasn’t in the movie more than that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Edit: I'm enjoying James Gunn's brother too.

He also plays Rocket Raccoon in the motion capture, before Bradley Cooper comes in and does the voiceover.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Man, what happened to Chris Pratt? There are a lot of funny people in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 but he's making me cringe.

Watch Jurassic World (or don’t it sucks) and you’ll realize that he’s a funny and charming dude who just can not play lead, he works way better as a goofy sidekick like Andy Dwyer.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm thinking maybe the best 80s/present casting on Dark is Hannah. I instantly knew that girl was her.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I haven't really seen any talk about it here but Alias Grace is pretty good. It didn't end the way I thought it would and I'm a bit confused about how some of the circumstances near the end played out or came to pass but it's still rattling around in my brain a week later so I think it's a success. And it's nice to see an actual one-and-done series instead of the cliffhanger-into-the-next-season formula.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

regulargonzalez posted:

I haven't really seen any talk about it here but Alias Grace is pretty good. It didn't end the way I thought it would and I'm a bit confused about how some of the circumstances near the end played out or came to pass but it's still rattling around in my brain a week later so I think it's a success. And it's nice to see an actual one-and-done series instead of the cliffhanger-into-the-next-season formula.

Yeah, I liked it. It was a slightly less depressing Handmaid's Tale

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Lycus posted:

I'm thinking maybe the best 80s/present casting on Dark is Hannah. I instantly knew that girl was her.

i thought 80's ulrich was good too.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I just watched Wheelman, easily my favourite movie of 2017. It's basically the first two minutes of Drive, stretched to a whole movie. It's mostly just the driver in his car, talking to accomplices via phone. It's super-tense, and the acting is really good. 5 out of 5 stars

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Wheelman is really drat good. I haven't seen a driving flick in a while I really enjoyed and that did it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mike12345 posted:

I just watched Wheelman, easily my favourite movie of 2017. It's basically the first two minutes of Drive, stretched to a whole movie. It's mostly just the driver in his car, talking to accomplices via phone. It's super-tense, and the acting is really good. 5 out of 5 stars
Is it Wheelman night or something? I watched it too. The really car-focused viewpoint adds a bit of flair to it and hides the budget pretty well. There were only a couple of things that felt a bit contrived (of course Mohawk Man finds him again).

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just turned on Baby Driver, never seen it before.

Kevin Spacy around a boy named Baby? Must be a documentary.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just turned on Baby Driver, never seen it before.

Kevin Spacy around a boy named Baby? Must be a documentary.

In hindsight, Edgar Wright probably knew something.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Simon and Garfunkel must have been in on it too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Simon and Garfunkel didn't cast him as a weirdly predatory father figure to a young adult man, is the key difference there.

e: like, it's less the name Baby and more Spacey's character in the movie in general that's making me go "oh, poo poo" about it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The weirdest thing about Dark is how no one seems to notice when people have cuts all over their faces.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

“Don’t touch me Kevin spacey”

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 9, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mike12345 posted:

The main thing it had in common with drive was destroying your expectations by looking like an action movie and then being some fantastic acting and character work. I want to see Grillo and Gosling in a movie together now. Remake Bulleit or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah wheelman is awesome.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We watched a movie called Good Satan on prime and we were laughing like idiots the whole time.

Satan gets invited to a party at God's and finds out the second coming is happening and that would mean he'd be committed to Hell forever. So he tries to pull a fast one and trick his way into Heaven.

It's stupid funny and has some hilarious lines. Also Satan is literally a guy in red paint wearing long underwear.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, some of the jokes might be a little juvenile, but at least check out the fight scene towards the end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know nocturnal animals is supposed to be good, but like 30 minutes in I'm finding this borderline unwatchable.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I know nocturnal animals is supposed to be good, but like 30 minutes in I'm finding this borderline unwatchable.

Nocturnal Animals came across as a badly executed attempt to be smart. It's so goddamn hamfisted and clumsy and the compulsion behind it is so petty.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 9, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I only half watched it and had no idea what was happening lol. Just kept looking up to see Amy Adams being shocked at stuff

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I turned it off after an hour. The whole thing was like nails on a chalk board.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I watched the whole thing. It makes a coherent statement by the end, just not a very good one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That reminds me, Nocturama is on Netflix and it's one of the year's best films, easily.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

That reminds me, Nocturama is on Netflix and it's one of the year's best films, easily.

Thanks, I was just looking for a movie to watch and this sounds good.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Is this a French Four Lions?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Nocturnal Animals is good, you weenies.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

It reminds me very much of my first marriage.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I don't remember anything particularly grating or annoying about Nocturnal Animals.

Yes, it beats you over the head with the point of the book. But I think the joke is that the intended recipient of a message like that will still manage to not get it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah, Nocturnal Animals is a great little movie about a messed up lady and a pretty on-the-nose harrowing narrative that she manages to avoid fully confronting because of how messed up she is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm gonna finish it today so I can be sure in my opinion. it all just feels very melodramatic and corny like a sleazy romance novel and it feels like it's trying to hard to be arty in this way that rubs me wrong. It feels like a soap opera meets David Lynch, but without the confidence to pull it off.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Of all the phrases I would've imagined people would throw around to describe why they don't like Nocturnal Animals, "without confidence" would never have crossed my mind. What is there in the film that gives you the impression that it's not a confident movie?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
That opening scene alone tells you how much confidence it has.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Also weird to see "soap opera meets David Lynch" in the year of more Twin Peaks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Of all the phrases I would've imagined people would throw around to describe why they don't like Nocturnal Animals, "without confidence" would never have crossed my mind. What is there in the film that gives you the impression that it's not a confident movie?

Actually yeah, that was a pretty bad descriptor on my part. I guess I'm having trouble articulating why it gets on my nerves.

It gives me the same kind of annoyed feeling I felt when I watched Crash.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Crash is dope.

Oh, you meant the bad Crash.

Yeah, that movie's not even remotely similar to Nocturnal Animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No it's not similar. it just gave me the same looming feeling that it thought it was smarter than it really was.

I'll shut up about Nocturnal Animals until I finish it. I don't want to end up loving it and have to back pedal.